Options

Ashes To Ashes Series 3 Speculation Thread (spoilers in tags)

Comments

• Options
    ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member

I'm very confused by the Thordy-as-Sam possibility, but it's unnerving that they got him to speak his lines in a very 'John Simm' way!

Ohh absolutely!! The way he gave the 'Back in Time' speech. Really sounded like Sam!
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In LoM did Sam Tyler look up Gene Hunt or anyone else from the 70s? That would be the first thing I done rather than trying to get back - I know he was going back to save the team
  • Options
    Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has 500,000 views! Amazing :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    whiteswan wrote: »
    2 things stands out with Keats latest letter to his boss....

The first is the phrase.."Grave Betrayal"

and also we find out his bosses name is Nick.......slang term for the Devil?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ashestoashes/characters/jimkeats.shtml

or am I reading too much into this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5H1MNpiu5c

Dave

I apologise if this idea has already been submitted (as indicated by your post!) but I have just watched the last 4 episodes in succession and I just had a "revelation" that they're all already dead and Jim Keats is the devil (and that's why he's trying to get people on "his side" etc)
    Yes I realise I'm over-simplifying things and I haven't been on this site for a couple of years so apologies if there have already been numerous posts along these lines!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    In LoM did Sam Tyler look up Gene Hunt or anyone else from the 70s? That would be the first thing I done rather than trying to get back - I know he was going back to save the team

No he didn't. This bothers a lot of people, but if he had of done that, there wouldn't be much mystery within the franchise :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    From today's Telegraph ref ep 7:
    ...Chris stands up to Hunt and becomes the face of modern policing, and where the relationship between Hunt and Drake shifts gears abruptly and enters wholly unfamiliar territory.

In the trailer for next week Alex asks Gene outright about whether he killed Sam, but in the press release for ep 8 Keats is still trying to get her to find out. I'm guessing we'll be still none the wiser after next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    No he didn't. This bothers a lot of people, but if he had of done that, there wouldn't be much mystery within the franchise :p

True, but would save a lot of waiting about :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has already been said, I'm cooking dinner and can't read through the whole thread.

But wasn't last night's episode a bit weird? It started with Alex being asleep on the sofa (so what's new?), it goes on the telly and it's white noise, then it cuts to Alex in the corridor and Viv's football rolls to her. Then it cuts to her walking into the office and it's all kicking off about the riot. It's as though the whole thing stemmed from her dreaming at the beginning.

I bet someone else has said this already, so sorry for the repetition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Just caught up on on this thread from page 134, :sleep:

Actually , no, really enjoyed everyone's theories!!:p
    I've been thinking about the Thordy character, and I reckon there's two possibilities.

Either he is actually Sam Tyler, which could be possible, the accents and mannerisms are very similar. He knew an awful lot, although not enough to convince Alex that he was from the future. I think the real Sam Tyler would have told her anything she wanted to convince her. He was a bit too unhinged for my liking too. It would also in effect ruin the LOM ending and I don't think the writers would want to do that too much, because it was perfect, IMO. But I think we may see either him or John Simm back in another ep, because it was left rather ambiguous.

Or, Keats knows a LOT more than he is letting on, if we are to believe that he fed Thordy the info on Sam - that he was from 2005 ( was it just me, but I thought it was 2006 when Sam had his accident? )
    I think Keats could be from the future, how else would Thordy know the exact words that were on his case file in 2008? (unless he is Sam Tyler)

On another point, it looks as if Alex will have to con Gene just like Sam did in order to get home - I'm not sure why else she would follow Keats orders. And Keats is looking very much like a Frank Morgan character.

Yeah, that really stuck out to me, it was 2007 I think because Alex, in 2008, said he died last year.
    This thread has 500,000 views! Amazing :D

Yay!!

Just on the fact that Alex buried Young Summers in S02E07, will that have any relevance to the final??

On Thordy, I really don't think he is Sam, unless he somehow regenerated into a blonde, blue eyed, Liverpudlian! To me his accent sounded much from Liverpool than Manchester.

I really hope Gene is not the dead copper. I would would be really disappointed if the gang are just constructs or figments.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now this theory is very much a long-shot but here goes anyway.

in LOM gene says in one episode (cant remember which episode, sorry) that he once had a brother but he died. now, what if the dead copper is actually genes brother

Or what about if the Gene we are seeing is not the real Gene's but brother and the dead policeman is the real one.

God I'm confusing myself now! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gene's brother was never mentioned as being a copper though. For that reason, I think it's unlikely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Gene's brother was never mentioned as being a copper though. For that reason, I think it's unlikely.

is it tho? If everyone else is younger/different rank from him - whos to say he wasn't at a different station "M" could stand for a different one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is it tho? If everyone else is younger/different rank from him - whos to say he wasn't at a different station "M" could stand for a different one!

Well I dunno, personally I wouldn't like it if they suddenly said 'oh by the way, he was a cop', because that scene between Gene and Sam was so heartbreaking, that I think that would take something away from that scene. You got the impression he was just a normal guy with a drug problem, I feel Gene would have said if he was a cop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    My theory is Gene, Sam Tyler, Chris and Ray sped off in the car at the end of LOM and crashed. All were OK except Sam who nearly dead. Gen then faked Sam's death in order to stop Keats from visiting the scene and taking Sam's 'soul'.

Sam died and his soul is 'floating' in this world and has taken over the body of Thordy.

Keats wants to find Sam so that he can claim another 'soul' and to destroy Gene.

Any thoughts.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Next week's Dr Who trailer was interesting ... two worlds: sleeping and waking and what happens in one directly affects the other. Could Ashes be leading to a similar conclusion ...?

That crossed my mind too funnily enough, interesting thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what I meaning is - if Gene was killed and the brother was impersonating him to find Genes killers etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Doh Lover wrote: »
    My theory is Gene, Sam Tyler, Chris and Ray sped off in the car at the end of LOM and crashed. All were OK except Sam who nearly dead. Gen then faked Sam's death in order to stop Keats from visiting the scene and taking Sam's 'soul'.

Sam died and his soul is 'floating' in this world and has taken over the body of Thordy.

Keats wants to find Sam so that he can claim another 'soul' and to destroy Gene.

Any thoughts.

You put that far more eloquently than I did!
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was what I meant nuttytigger, the person in the photo could be Gene and the Gene Hunt we know is somebody else Hunt:confused:
    It was just an idea and I don't think it's very likely.

I think really they are all dead and in limbo, not all of them know it or accept it, it reminds me a bit of 'The others' but Ashes is a lot darker!

I did not enjoy last night's episode very much but even so it was very well done and quite scary.
    Keats is horrible and evil, I hate him:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My first post, but ive been reading for weeks!!

Sorry if it has already been said... or if I am wrong... but I have vague memories of Alex talking to Viv a long time ago, and she says something like "you will make it far one day", and there is the image of him as comissioner or something?

So if this is the case... how can he be dead?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lawson00 wrote: »

Sorry if it has already been said... or if I am wrong... but I have vague memories of Alex talking to Viv a long time ago, and she says something like "you will make it far one day", and there is the image of him as comissioner or something?

was that not Sam Tyler to someone else?
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah think thats in a LOM ep
  • Options
    Forum Member

it may have been, i just could remember something like that!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it may have been, i just could remember something like that!!

I'm sure it was, cant remember who tho without watching my LoM episodes lol

infact I remember it definatley was because Ray said to him - why dont you go home - and the guy replied he was home! I wish I could remember who it was, but then it might've been Viv to throw us off completely
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Next week's Dr Who trailer was interesting ... two worlds: sleeping and waking and what happens in one directly affects the other. Could Ashes be leading to a similar conclusion ...?

SAME. Like iv'e said iv'e always thought there is some connection between Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes.
    Especially how the BBC have wanted to start them both at the same time and place both back to back on a friday and saturday.
    I like the thought of Doctor Who next week with the
    'dream world' and the real 'reality' and how one action in one world can effect the outcome in the other world or something along the lines.

Too much of this time travel is messing up my head!
  • Options
    blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member

filmfan7 wrote: »
    Yeah think thats in a LOM ep

I think this is the Viv/Glen Fletcher confusion that pops up now and then.

Glen was Sam's mentor in the future who he met as a young cop in LOM.
This discussion has been closed.