Options

Unlimited Immigration - Why Not??

Comments

• Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    Why doesn't the OP start things off by opening his home to anyone who wants to come and live in it?

Wonder if he can fit me in last in August and the first in September? :confused:
  • Options
    raidon04raidon04 Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    Why doesn't the OP start things off by opening his home to anyone who wants to come and live in it?

What an idiotic statement. Someone is clearly infatuated with The Daily Mail and their anti-immigration propaganda.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Immigration is not solely related to the workforce, so I'm not sure what your point is, but I would imagine the breakdown is probably something like:

90% British

5% EU immigrants

5% Non-EU immigrants (mainly US and Australian)

Of course, the reality is that nobody has any accurate figures related to the number of immigrants (in total, ie, including illegal immigrants) at work in the UK.

thats the funniest thing I have read in ages...if you truly believe that then there's no hope for you pal

Bloody yanks and aussies taking all our jobs and council houses eh...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was in power there would be no immigration from outside the EU, America, Canada, Australia and NZ.

Good idea..
    Although im not sure about the EU (completely anyway)
    cultural considerations make far more sense than the anything goes mess we have now..
  • Options
    GnobeGnobe Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    If I was in power there would be no immigration from outside the EU, America, Canada, Australia and NZ.

Why?:( There's too many white people in this country, we need to try to balance it out so we can get an even share of everything in this country.

Having a lot of Africans and Asians would add a lot more diversity as oppose to having people from countries that are similar to our own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Gnobe wrote: »
    Why?:( There's too many white people in this country, we need to try to balance it out so we can get an even share of everything in this country.

*spits water all over keyboard*

You're not serious... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    The real problem is the benefits system.

Without any incentive to come here and sponge off the state we could have uncapped immigration because everybody who came here would be an asset to society.

That's where the BNP go wrong in my eyes. They hate scroungers and layabouts... unless they're white in which case it's suddenly fine. (Not saying that everyone on benefits is a scrounger, but that's how the average BNP-voter sees any non-white claimant).
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    I saw someone from the LSE arguing this point but I don't see how it can work due to finite resources and crucially space in the areas where there may be jobs.

I actually don't see that it's much different to opening the doors of your house to all comers - at some point your basic quality of life becomes compromised by the lack of space and having to queue to use the bathroom.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

So basically, white people yes, brown people no then.

Any immigration policy should be fair regardless of colour or creed. It should be just as hard for a white Australian to get into the country as for a black American, or a brown Indian. If they have skills and are educated in something that we have a shortage off then they are welcome to come regardless of colour. An uneducated lazy American would be just as much a drain as an uneducated lazy Pakistani.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically, white people yes, brown people no then.

There aren't any brown people in America, Canada, Australia and NZ? . :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    There aren't any brown people in America, Canada, Australia and NZ? . :eek:

Of course there are, but it was obvious what the poster meant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You read minds? amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member

No it isnt...this is more than likely about culture,not colour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You read minds? amazing!

Oh come on! Do you seriously believe that the sentiment was anything other than racism? He basically named every majority-white country on Earth and excluded all others.

America and Europe I can understand for political reasons. But to name every white commonwealth country as acceptable while excluding every non-white commonwealth country is just blatant.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gnobe wrote: »
    Does anyone here think immigration should be uncapped?? I mean why not??

It's clear to me that a large amount of British people support unrestricted immgration, and a definite majority support lots of immigration outright, the tory plans of capping appear unpopular with most British people it appears.

Why can't we just live and where we want in the world dammit? We're all from the same race after all?

Tear down the borders and let humanity live together.

We are in a world wide recession. If countries in the developed world cannot create enough jobs for it's skilled work force, how would they cope if over run with immigrants from poorer nations. We would regress and the "natives" would resent this leading to social decline and an increase in racism.

In theory it's great. If only we lived in a fluffy la la land where life was fair and everyone loved each other and no one resented the strain that an influx of immigrants would cause. Back in the real world, it's not going to happen.

I have no problem with immigrants and ideally the world would be accessible to everyone, but in reality each country has to put a cap on the amount of immigrants they accept each year or else the strain on resources would collapse that country and everyone would be worse off, including the immigrants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We should shut the doors completely for a few years and only allow in skilled genuinely needed professionals and foreign spouses of British born citizens..
  • Options
    MagicMonkeyMagicMonkey Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    We should shut the doors completely for a few years and only allow in skilled genuinely needed professionals and foreign spouses of British born citizens..

Even though i support immigration, I cannot help but agree with you on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are in a world wide recession. If countries in the developed world cannot create enough jobs for it's skilled work force, how would they cope if over run with immigrants from poorer nations. We would regress and the "natives" would resent this leading to social decline and an increase in racism.

In theory it's great. If only we lived in a fluffy la la land where life was fair and everyone loved each other and no one resented the strain that an influx of immigrants would cause. Back in the real world, it's not going to happen.

I have no problem with immigrants and ideally the world would be accessible to everyone, but in reality each country has to put a cap on the amount of immigrants they accept each year or else the strain on resources would collapse that country and everyone would be worse off, including the immigrants.

The situation is becoming increasingly untenable, even without immigration, I believe we are well into depression territory and we should see riots and possibly a world war within 2 years
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    The situation is becoming increasingly untenable, even without immigration, I believe we are well into depression territory and we should see riots and possibly a world war within 2 years

Why do you think that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on! Do you seriously believe that the sentiment was anything other than racism?

Yes?

37.6 million black americans
    13.4 million asian americans
    2.4 million native americans
    .5m hawaians and islanders
    47 million Hispanic americans

750,000 aboriginal australians
    2m asian australians

2m canadian asians
    1.6 m canadian aboriginals
    1.3m canadian chinese
    3m s.asian canadians
    1.6m aboriginals
    1.2m chinese canadians
    1m indian canadians
    .6m carribeans
    .5m arabian canadians

500,000 nz mauris
    200,000 nz pacific people
    200,000 nz asian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes?

37.6 million black americans
    13.4 million asian americans
    2.4 million native americans
    .5m hawaians and islanders
    47 million Hispanic americans

750,000 aboriginal australians
    2m asian australians

2m canadian asians
    1.6 m canadian aboriginals
    1.3m canadian chinese
    3m s.asian canadians
    1.6m aboriginals
    1.2m chinese canadians
    1m indian canadians
    .6m carribeans
    .5m arabian canadians

500,000 nz mauris
    200,000 nz pacific people
    200,000 nz asian

Every country he named is still majority white. (Which is precisely why he named those particular countries and we both know it.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treaclebob wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

The hawks have no choice but to trigger a massive war in order to ramp up production and rejuvenate the entire economy. In fact in economics, there is a very well respected school that posits Rossevelt's new deal did not lift America out of the great depression, but the vast manufacturing of war materials triggered by WW2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Which is precisely why he named those particular countries and we both know it.)

Another mind reader, it is an honor to be in the company of so many psychics this evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does nobody ever come up with a scheme to encourage millions of British people to emigrate to African or Asian nations in an effort to improve their multi-cultural status?

It seems a little unfair that it's mainly the West that gets all the benefits.

1/4 of Singapore's population are foreigners.not sure whats the % in HKG, but i am sure it should be quite high?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another mind reader, it is an honor to be in the company of so many psychics this evening.

Well okay, let's say for a second that I'm wrong. Personally I believe in a more laid-back immigration system in which individuals would have to prove their individual worth and I do believe that it would result in the majority of immigrants coming from those countries we have been arguing over. But, let's just pretend for a second that I'm a pro-mixing Guardian reader.

At the end of the day the difference between you and me is, I accept that there are scum in New Zealand just as there are good, hard-working people in Jamaica so a blanket-ban makes no sense. Judge every individual on their own merits.

You are unable to explain why a Barbadian doctor is worth less than an Australian beach-bum but you believe the Australian is worth more regardless. I believe you should let every doctor in and give two fingers to every beach-bum.