Options

T' Yorkshire myth

Comments

• Options
    Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whippets and Flat caps thing always bugs me, I have lived in Yorkshire my whole life and have never seen anyone with a Whippet, flat cap or ferrets.:confused:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    The whippets and Flat caps thing always bugs me, I have lived in Yorkshire my whole life and have never seen anyone with a Whippet, flat cap or ferrets.:confused:

I wear a flat at sometimes but then I'll put owt on me ead.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least you don't get people 'impersonating' you by running around in a ginger wig shouting 'och aye the nuuuuuu'. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    At least you don't get people 'impersonating' you by running around in a ginger wig shouting 'och aye the nuuuuuu'. :D

Ah but you did Rab C Nesbitt yourselves.;)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I think as a rule of thumb, people should refrain from doing UK regional accents if they don't come from that area. For the people who do, it invariably sounds awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going down to the shop = I'm going down t' shop?

Can t' replace to and the?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go down t'road and drink ten pints
    I get really plastered
    Go back home and beat up t'wife
    I'm a northern b@stard
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Spot the Southerner.:D

Wrong, actually! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I'm going down to the shop = I'm going down t' shop?

Can t' replace to and the?

There is no definite article in Yorkshire dialect, or rarely.

So in Yorkshire, that's "I'm going down ' shops". "The" is dropped entirely, not ellided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong, actually! :D

Ah, fowk that sez that to 'be funny' are usually Southerners. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So in Yorkshire, that's "I'm going down ' shops". "The" is dropped entirely, not ellided.

But dropping 'the' entirely means that Yorkshire people are shortening "I'm going down to shops." which makes them sound a bit fick...:confused::p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Grates with me when people impersonating yarkshire slang just throw in few (( 't )))s instead of word "the"

Spent my childhood talking Yorkshire slang, they/we dont say the word "the" *at all* - it just doesn't exist in Yorkshire slang

When they/we say ( t' ), it replaces "to" (not 'the')

e.g.

"Will you wash the car?" = "Will you wash car?" (see! no 'the' and no t')

"I'm going to the shop" = "I'm going t' shop" (t' replaces 'to' not 'the' - we just dont say 'the' at all)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah, but you have a perceptible glottal stop between "wash" and "car" to indicate the missing article. The problem is that there is no real way of writing a glottal stop, so people resort to the misleading t'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    But dropping 'the' entirely means that Yorkshire people are shortening "I'm going down to shops." which makes them sound a bit fick...:confused::p

Nah,. "I'm going down ' shops". I wouldn't bother with the 'to', either, dunno about my fellow tykes. It's a big county and we have some different dialects across it.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    As "Billy Liar" once said... "I'm reet thraped..." :p

Don't worry, Lancastrians and Cheshire-ites were irritated by Stuart Hall (and Eddie Waring) Not merely by their "It's a Knock Out" commentaries. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nitpick wrote: »
    As "Billy Liar" once said... "I'm reet thraped..." :p

It's neether mickling nor muckling.
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    giz a glass of watt-a am reet parched
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should all stop mithering! (Is that from the right area?)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    We should all stop mithering! (Is that from the right area?)

Is "meithering" a northern word? :confused: I thought it was ubiquitous. Come to think of it, I can only think of people back home (Bolton) who use it regularly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends where in yorkshire you go tbh, i grew up 4 or 5 miles from Barnsley and everyone there talks like "rayt cocker, am just off darnt road to chippie, will bi back for aif past."
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I know what you're saying.

The main problem, I see, is that people try to pronounce 't'' as a word on its own, whereas it really just tags onto the word before.

e.g 'I'm going down t'shops' is pronounced 'I'm going downt shops', not 'I'm going down tuh shops'.

Well being from Barnsley I usually get away with "I'm gunna shop" lol
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the party is on eight while ten
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whet's tha laikin at?
  • Options
    ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really thought about how i spoke until i read this thread but i have now realised i dont really use ''the '' when i speak either.
    I just tend to say im off down shop or whatever.
    Why say words and waste your breath if you dont need to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member

But there's a glottal stop for "the", isn't there?
    I'm a Yorkshirewoman. Before I became an honorary Brummie (MUCH better accent, I don't care if everyone else disagrees :D), I never made no sound at all for "the" - there was always the glottal.
    flobadob wrote: »
    Yeah, but you have a perceptible glottal stop between "wash" and "car" to indicate the missing article. The problem is that there is no real way of writing a glottal stop, so people resort to the misleading t'.

TRUE! Maybe some people can't hear the glottal, I dunno. I've never heard any Yorkshire person fail to make SOME sound where a "the" should be.
    Scott_P wrote: »
    depends where in yorkshire you go tbh, i grew up 4 or 5 miles from Barnsley and everyone there talks like "rayt cocker, am just off darnt road to chippie, will bi back for aif past."

Also true! I grew up in Barnsley. It'd be "...to <glottal stop> chippie..." though. :p
    excelents wrote: »
    Well being from Barnsley I usually get away with "I'm gunna shop" lol

I heard people in Barnsley say "I'm gunna <glottal stop> shop". I spent like 16 years growing up there. :)
    Whet's tha laikin at?

Haven't heard laking in years!
    I never really thought about how i spoke until i read this thread but i have now realised i dont really use ''the '' when i speak either.
    I just tend to say im off down shop or whatever.
    Why say words and waste your breath if you dont need to.

There's no noise from the back of your throat before the word "shop", if you think about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there's a glottal stop for "the", isn't there?
    I'm a Yorkshirewoman. Before I became an honorary Brummie (MUCH better accent, I don't care if everyone else disagrees :D), I never made no sound at all for "the" - there was always the glottal.

TRUE! Maybe some people can't hear the glottal, I dunno. I've never heard any Yorkshire person fail to make SOME sound where a "the" should be.

Also true! I grew up in Barnsley. It'd be "...to <glottal stop> chippie..." though. :p

I heard people in Barnsley say "I'm gunna <glottal stop> shop". I spent like 16 years growing up there. :)

Haven't heard laking in years!

There's no noise from the back of your throat before the word "shop", if you think about it?

Yes, there is a glottal stop but other people had already made that point so, in typical laconic Yorkshire fashion, I din't bother.:D

Ah I hear laikin, but only from fowk my age or older. The kids don't say it round here. I feel sad that our dialect will die out with this generation, I think.