Options

Why the fashion for giving boy babies shortened names?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel
    Gladys
    Mildred
    Edna
    Doris

If I saw a baby with any of these names I would LOL :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    You got there before me :D

Isn't there also a Summer?
    Yeah there is. :)
    River, Rain, Liberty, and Leaf, now known as Joaquin.
    Liberty's real name is actually Libertad.

One of them has Joan of Arc as their middle name too - I love that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Achtung! wrote: »
    As is Archie, also popular amongst the Boden mums.

Really? I would always associate Alfie, Archie etc. as being quite chavvy names.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those kind of names REALLY annoy me.
    Just think of the poor kid - wide open for bullying

Id say its the bullies fault for bullying, they're the ones that REALLY annoy me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    Yeah there is. :)

Liberty's real name is actually Libertad.

One of them has Joan of Arc as their middle name too - I love that! :D

That's legally one of my names and I prefer to use it as my middle name rather than my birth middle name! Must change my stuff over to Joan of Arc soon!
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you care what people call their children? If you don't like the name, don't name your kid that. Just because someone has an unconventional name (unless it's something like Asshole Penis Von Bollocks) people don't tend to bully.

Exotic sounding names are much more common now and names like Jane and John will sound old-fashioned. Things change. When's the last time you've heard of a kid called Abraham?

If I had another boy, I think I'd name him Arthur, purely so I could call him Artie. Artie is just so cute to me.

I don't know why people make fun of my name all the time. Regards
    Asshole Penis von Bollocks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's legally one of my names and I prefer to use it as my middle name rather than my birth middle name! Must change my stuff over to Joan of Arc soon!

Wow, your name is Joan of Arc or just Joan? I really wished i'd picked Joan of Arc as my confirmation name now then I could have used it!

I got confirmed with my mother and had picked out the name Elizabeth and was pretty pleased with it but my Mum decided that she wanted that to be her name so she told the priest that mine was going to be Brigid as it was the only saints name she could think of at the time. :eek: I'm still pretty annoyed with her about it. Haha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Why do you care what people call their children? If you don't like the name, don't name your kid that. Just because someone has an unconventional name (unless it's something like Asshole Penis Von Bollocks) people don't tend to bully.

lol that name does have a certain ring to it :D

And you are right why does it bother people what others call their children, it would be a rather boring world if there were just the same few names going around.
  • Options
    tania4stevetania4steve Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    colnechris wrote: »
    McKenzie <<<< Possibly the worst name of all time?

Associated almost exclusively with chavs.

Surprised no one called their kids Rockport(ford), Nike, Kickers, Ben Sherman....lol

I used to know a child through work called Nike:)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time all the Destinys and Cailtins and Kyles and Alfies ies and those sorts of names get to be old, maybe kids will be called Mabel and Agnes and George and Arthur again.

I reckon Bible names are the way to go, Anne and Rachel and Rebecca and Philip and Peter and SImon. They never seem to go out of fashion. Though I might draw the line at Gideon or Hepzibah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Gideon is awesome! One of my favourite names. As is Saul, Solomon, Nathaniel, Moses and Elisha (male).
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the shortened version of my name better generally, but I don't think it would sound right as an 'official' name on its own.

I think usually it's nice to have a shortened and full version of names, but I suppose it depends on what the name is. Some shortened names sound a lot cuter on babies, but as you get older it's good to have a more 'formal' name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    A girl I know has 3 daughters called Emma, Emily, and Emmeline - which surely are all the same name?:confused:
    Probably a fan of the (rather splendid) Hot Chocolate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFYOHrwi-W8 Bitter-Sweet. :)

Alfie might remind our older readers of:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3_2bDqf32I
    Kids chanting "What's it all about"? :p
  • Options
    petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory is a lovely boys name and can't be shortened ( can it ?)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    By the time all the Destinys and Cailtins and Kyles and Alfies ies and those sorts of names get to be old, maybe kids will be called Mabel and Agnes and George and Arthur again..

The way that names come and go from fashion is actually an interesting topic. There was a chapter in Freakonomics on it. One reason is that names start of as being exclusive (and rather posh), then become popular, then eventually become too common.

Everyone I know who is a Jack is either over 50 or under 10. I don't know any in their 20s, 30s or 40s. It's a name which vanished then recently came back.

I don't think I have met a Peter who is under 30 or a Chloe who is over out of her teens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    colnechris wrote: »
    Don't know but theres going to be alot of people with stupid names in 15-20 years.

Ocean, Autumn lol. What drugs were being taken at the time they came up with these.

In 15-20 years those names will be ''normal''.
    Just imagion calling a baby kevin today? Now THAT would be strange! :D
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a woman in the shop I work in the other day with a daughter called Bluebell (obviously inspired by Geri Halliwell)!

My manager was like 'what a pretty name' but I couldn't help but think that girl is not going to like her name when she's 30. Dr. Bluebell XYZ, Prime Minister Bluebell XYZ, Bank Manager Bluebell XYZ...I think not!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Subrosa wrote: »
    There was a woman in the shop I work in the other day with a daughter called Bluebell (obviously inspired by Geri Halliwell)!

My manager was like 'what a pretty name' but I couldn't help but think that girl is not going to like her name when she's 30. Dr. Bluebell XYZ, Prime Minister Bluebell XYZ, Bank Manager Bluebell XYZ...I think not!

I always think that that's one of the more okay celebrity baby names as she can always call herself Bella if she feels that Bluebell isn't serious enough.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    <Snip>
    I think usually it's nice to have a shortened and full version of names, but I suppose it depends on what the name is. Some shortened names sound a lot cuter on babies, but as you get older it's good to have a more 'formal' name.
    Which was my original point. If you give the child the full name they have the choice in later life to use the full or the shortened version. If the parents want to call him by the shortened version when he is young then they can do so, but if the child dislikes it when he grows up then he can use the full name.

I suppose, in theory, that a child christened, say, Jake, could start calling himself Jacob in later life but I suspect that this is likely to cause complications.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petra12 wrote: »
    Rory is a lovely boys name and can't be shortened ( can it ?)

My cousin's called Rory. He's fifty three and his wife never cals him anythign apart from Ro and all his family and pals call him something that sounds like Roar.
    I think the only people who call him Rory are people he deals with at work. :D
  • Options
    petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin's called Rory. He's fifty three and his wife never cals him anythign apart from Ro and all his family and pals call him something that sounds like Roar.
    I think the only people who call him Rory are people he deals with at work. :D
    Oh Dear was really hoping it couldn't be shortened !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D funny.
    Nobody is allowed to call me by the usual shortened version of my name. Too common. :o
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    my friend had her baby yesterday, shes called him Alfie, I like it and i dont think for one second anyones going to call him alfred...

It'll get shortened to Alf.
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    I always think that that's one of the more okay celebrity baby names as she can always call herself Bella if she feels that Bluebell isn't serious enough.

It'll still be on her documents though :D
  • Options
    HungryMunchkinHungryMunchkin Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Louis.

I don't think that's a shortening, I think people who spell Louis 'Louie' are just ignorant and don't know how it's supposed to be spelt.