Options

The Walking Dead (US Pace) [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »

There were more character developement among the survivors which I enjoyed.

My wife and I were convinced that one dude was digging graves because he planned to "mercy kill" everyone in camp. Looks like we were half right.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Episode #4 ("Vatos") was outstanding. :)

The ending of the episode was a surprise. It wasn't what I was expecting....
    I was expecting Merle to come up to the camp and shoot up the place. But instead we got a bloodbath - zombie-style. Either Merle lead the zombies to the camp or the dead simply found it on their own. Both scenarios are possible since it was mentioned in a previous episode that the zombies were starting to leave the city in search of more "food". But I have a funny feeling Merle is involved.

They made a big mistake having the vans and tents so close to the woods.

I would have chopped most of the trees down (which would have been good for fire wood too) and had a large clear area around the camp so they could see anyone coming.

I also thought the sister was risking it with her wounded sister, thankfully they don't seem to turn to zombies too soon after dying.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting fact about last night's episode ("Vatos"). It was written by Robert Kirkman, who created "The Walking Dead" comics. I think he did a superb job. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Brilliant fourth episode! Loved that with this episode they have steered away from the comic story and in so doing, treating us readers of the comic to a few surprises. Interesting addition with the new group of survivors, and what a brilliant ending! Glad that like in the comics, the TV series is daring and willing to cull characters.

Loved the parallels between Rick and the new group leader - in the end they are so alike! Good to see that despite this week's diversion away from the comic storyline, the essene of the books has been respected with the TV adaptation delivering another strong character driven piece which is the thrust of the books themselves.

Looking fwd to next week. Need to rewatch 4 again! Cant believe we are nearing the end now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant Episode. I had a funny feeling one of the sisters would die (i've only read the first 4 comics) so i don't know what to expect yet or not.

I liked how the guys who took the korean turned out to be big softies. I can't believe everyone was around sitting having dinner. You'd think you'd have people on guard 24/7.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this week and glad to see that they are still taking direction from the comic book with Amy getting attacked etc, can't wait until next week !!
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this series. I just finished reading an interview conducted by Entertainment Weekly with Robert Kirkman discussing last night's Episode 4 - Vatos. Oddly enough, the interviewer asked some questions that correspond to some of the comments made on this thread regarding certain scenes in the episode itself. Check it out if you want to. If you should have a problem with the link below, then go to insidetv.ew.com to find the interview. :)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/22/walking-dead-recap-kirkman/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting fact about last night's episode ("Vatos"). It was written by Robert Kirkman, who created "The Walking Dead" comics. I think he did a superb job. :)

Hi Inky Binky,

I missed last night's code word for the contest. Do you know what it was? :)
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Hi Inky Binky,

I missed last night's code word for the contest. Do you know what it was? :)

I completely forgot about the contest last night. I enter it every week but last night it slipped my mind as I left the living room for a few minutes during a commercial break. I'm kicking myself in the ass for my momentary lapse of judgement! :mad:

Next weekend I will not forget. I'm going to put "post-it" notes all over my TV. :D

By the way, thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading the Kirkman interview. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the guy was digging graves and evil bro would come back and murder people. Never expected a zombie invasion.

How long have they been in those woods? You'd think they could have built some defence, like a stockade or something.

So they have a psychic to help them now!

Bit obvious them spending so long on the opening sequence with the sisters. Every time that happens you know one is going to die.

So, will the outdoorsies move in with the city oldbies or go to some other outdoor location? now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely forgot about the contest last night. I enter it every week but last night it slipped my mind as I left the living room for a few minutes during a commercial break. I'm kicking myself in the ass for my momentary lapse of judgement! :mad:

Next weekend I will not forget. I'm going to put "post-it" notes all over my TV. :D

LOL...I did the same thing. Hence, my asking. :p

By the way, thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading the Kirkman interview. :)

Your welcome. :)
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    How long have they been in those woods? You'd think they could have built some defence, like a stockade or something.

I'd guess it's only been a week or so. They did have their cans-on-a-string warning fence.. obviously it didn't work very well.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice red herring making us think Merle would be coming back to reak havoc and then having zombies come out nowhere. Was gutted to see the blonde girl meet her demise as I was interested to see where her character might progress but I guess I shouldn't get too attached seeing as there's only 6 episodes!
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to next week's now, because after the attack, they'll
    be on the move to fresh pastures

and that's where it starts to get REALLY good! :)

Shame it's only 6 episodes this year though - should definitely be enough to see them
    finding the prison, and perhaps doing the 'clear out'

in time for next season, and the jolly japes that follow that :)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best ep so far, IMO :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, will the outdoorsies move in with the city oldbies or go to some other outdoor location? now?
    now that all depends on whether they follow the comic from here, if they do they end up in a farm for a short spell, they move away from Atlanta
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the single zombie got through to their camp and ate the deer it was only a matter of time before more came and that's what I thought the guy was digging holes for as he thought they would all die soon, turns out to be a dream and he may even have dug up the right number!:eek:

How come the bad brother didn't beat the others back to camp if he was driving?

Wasn't too upset about the wife basher getting munched.:o

A message to us all : always make sure you don't run out of toilet roll, it could save your life!
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's probably quite hard driving a van with one hand, plus he probably wants to get a weapon of some kind to get his revenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, one thing I do have a problem with and this goes for every zombie film, why are they so strong? I mean in terms of bite strength and the ability to seemingly rip people apart with their bare hands? Not like humans really have sharp teeth either.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spendleb wrote: »
    OK, one thing I do have a problem with and this goes for every zombie film, why are they so strong? I mean in terms of bite strength and the ability to seemingly rip people apart with their bare hands? Not like humans really have sharp teeth either.

I think we can look to the bible to answer this. IIRC after his resurrection Jesus had super human strength (first by being able to move that big rock blocking the doorway of his tomb, then by his pushing over two indoor pillars he was chained against and destroying a temple, ). Zombification is similar to resurrection (dead being brought back to life). Thus Zombies get stronger. Don't know why, but there is a precident(?).
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or maybe he did and he was the reason behind the zombies infiltrating the camp.
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spendleb wrote: »

Not sure about human bite strength against human flesh, as I've never tried to bite anyone :o - bear in mind though, that these are mindless eating machines with no other instinct than to feed - so you can guess how hard they may actually bite.

As for the 'ripping apart' - that only seems to happen when there are crowds of them, and again, the attacking comes from the mindless instinct to feed, so who knows how strong one of them could actually be in that situation, nevermind loads of them all doing the same?
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    True, but think about it. When one is in that state of panic, the thought of survival becomes all consuming. Thinking about cutting off just a thumb or whatever else, isn't a luxury that one entertains. ;) It may have been dramatic, but it really showed the nature of the human pshyche.

Merle was in a very panicked state and justifiably so. He wanted out and for him the quickest way was to essentially hack his hand off at the wrist. The dude is somewhere bleeding all over the place and very ticked off. I'm wondering if he'll find the duffle bag loaded with the guns that Rick left behind.

There was a comment made in passing about how the hacksaw blade was too blunt to saw through the metal (steel?).

But I think a bloke built like Rooker could've snapped that (thin, vertical) metal bar with his bare hands. :p

I'm no expect on this, having never tried to cut bone with a hacksaw, but could a not very sharp hacksaw cut through bone? And who keeps a blunt-ish hacksaw in their toolkit? :D
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny pic of Andrew Lincoln and costar relaxing between takes while filming Episode 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    There was a comment made in passing about how the hacksaw blade was too blunt to saw through the metal (steel?).

But I think a bloke built like Rooker could've snapped that (thin, vertical) metal bar with his bare hands. :p

I'm no expect on this, having never tried to cut bone with a hacksaw, but could a not very sharp hacksaw cut through bone? And who keeps a blunt-ish hacksaw in their toolkit? :D

If you cut at the join it wouldn't need to go through bone, just ligament/muscle/skin etc.......nice :eek: