Options

SGU season 2 Sky

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Can we just talk about SGU and the latest episide please? Can we not keep bringing other series in and then arguing to death about which is best?:yawn: Please? Pretty please?

I am loving this series, seriously loving it. Rush is awesome and I cant help myself rooting for him.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Hear hear.

We know Milhouse doesn't like the show, we need no further clarification on this.
    We know GeordieLady doesn't like Mentalist or SG1 fanboy, again no further clarification is required on this.

Perhaps this thread will wither and die without their relentless tirades filling up the pages but it makes for pretty tedious reading just now...
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like we're making progress so here is a message from the Producers:
    “There are a number of arcs and elements that will figure into the ultimate finale we have planned,” Mallozzi said. “Ideally, we’d get five years to tell the entire story in satisfactory fashion but, if it came down to it, we could pay it off over the course of a single season.”

Stargate Universe is the first show in the franchise to be conceived as a single, arc-based story with a beginning, middle, and end, rather than an episodic series that could go on as long as the ratings would support.

At this point, Mallozzi also said, the studio is not thinking about a back-up plan for finishing the story in another medium, should the show be canceled without sufficient warning to pay off the story. Right now “the plan is deliver the ending at the conclusion of Season Five,” he said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butlerx12 wrote: »
    Can we just talk about SGU and the latest episide please? Can we not keep bringing other series in and then arguing to death about which is best?:yawn: Please? Pretty please?

Hey, if GeordieLady keeps quiet with the "its perfect everybody else sucks" attitude I'm all for it :)
    I am loving this series, seriously loving it. Rush is awesome and I cant help myself rooting for him.

So a new shuttle - What do you think they are going to use that for? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warming wrote: »
    Hey, if GeordieLady keeps quiet with the "its perfect everybody else sucks" attitude I'm all for it :)

People like you and a couple of others are spoiling the thread by coming here and trolling. Purposely slagging the show while still watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree and I wil try my best to ignore thoses who come here to slag it, but when a show is as good as this then having the same people being so critical hits a nerve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Looks like we're making progress so here is a message from the Producers:

Thats fine but its never going to run 5 seasons, they need a plan as leaving it unfinished would be wrong.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the same feeling. I actually like SGU. I like Eli, (as a fellow geek I wish his love life was more successful - no sooner has he got a girl and some **** goes and kills her). I like Cloe.

Yes they are flawed characters - what person is n't?

But that is what makes it interesting

I just wish those who did not like it just shut it (and if they have not figured it out yet - if SGU fails - you will not get your SG1/SGA movies).

I watched every year of Stargate SG1 and every year of SGA enjoyed them all - and I can still enjoy SGU for what it is. Indeed I would congratulate the producers for being brave enough to try something different. Star Trek produced 28 seasons of TV - 21 of them a spaceship visiting a planet of the week - no wonder it withered eventually.

What movies?

Everybody knows that they aren't going to happen even if SGU was a success and was topping the ratings week in week out.

There simply isn't enough money to make them, particularly as most of the props and sets have been sold off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats fine but its never going to run 5 seasons, they need a plan as leaving it unfinished would be wrong.

As it says in the quote.. it can be paid off over one season. So blame Syfy on that matter should they decide to axe it abruptly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    As it says in the quote.. it can be paid off over one season. So blame Syfy on that matter should they decide to axe it abruptly.

Do shows ever get told that they only have one more season though?

Or do they just cancel half way through a season, which would mean that they rush out the storyline at the last half of a season.

Or they tell them they have one more season with a vague hint that it could carry on if the rating are up to par, which would result in the writers either finishing the story and then struggling if it is then renewed for another season, or not finishing the story in the hopes of another season and then everyone is left hanging.

So do they ever do something as convenient for everybody as to give them a season to wrap everything up nicely (and not just half a season - which would again feel rushed)
  • Options
    MilhouseVHMilhouseVH Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “There are a number of arcs and elements that will figure into the ultimate finale we have planned,” Mallozzi said. “Ideally, we’d get five years to tell the entire story in satisfactory fashion but, if it came down to it, we could pay it off over the course of a single season.”

To me, this is probably the biggest problem with SGU - if they plan on revealing a single story arc over 5 seasons that could be revealed in a single season is it any wonder the pace is so achingly slow with seemingly nothing happening from one episode to the next?

Perhaps if they told the same story arc over two or three seasons it would be more enjoyable and everyone would be happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They still need to have a plan to end it early if necessary regardless.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw eps 7 and 8, malice was good, i liked the alien creatures

rush was a badass,i didnt know killing one person would also kill the other stone user, gotta feel for eli and rush

its getting better........chloe stuff is interesting

SGU problem is that out of the 42 mins usually only 23 mins are interesting,at least with malice it was good from start to finish
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People like you and a couple of others are spoiling the thread by coming here and trolling. Purposely slagging the show while still watching it.

You hit a nerve with your intolerant religiouslike fawning over it.

Do shows ever get told that they only have one more season though?

Or do they just cancel half way through a season, which would mean that they rush out the storyline at the last half of a season.

They have huge production leads on SGU - they have already finished shooting all of SGU's season 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Warming wrote: »
    You hit a nerve with your intolerant religiouslike fawning over it.

They have huge production leads on SGU - they have already finished shooting all of SGU's season 2.

Oh I didn't mean for season 2, I meant after this season. If they needed to wrap up the story, would they be given enough notice to be able to do it without the story being rushed. I just like shows to be given an ending too many shows are just left open which leaves you wondering what would have happened, so I thought this was because now-a-days they don't give the show much notice to allow this kind of wrap up, that the producers have said they could do.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I didn't mean for season 2, I meant after this season. If they needed to wrap up the story, would they be given enough notice to be able to do it without the story being rushed. I just like shows to be given an ending too many shows are just left open which leaves you wondering what would have happened, so I thought this was because now-a-days they don't give the show much notice to allow this kind of wrap up, that the producers have said they could do.
    I think it's probably understood among the various executives that *every* show is on notice if the ratings are bad. ISTM anything can be canned at the end of any series with maybe a few episodes of notice (if they're lucky - some just stop and never come back).
    So in that case it seems like a strange thing to say: that there is no plan B - I would expect every show to have a plan B (even if it's something as lame as discovering another planet like the one they started off from and blowing that up so they can beam back to earth).
    As for having a 5 year grand plan - nah! I simply don't buy it I reckon they sold the show on the initial premise of soldiers stranded on a spaceship trying to get home and didn't have much in the way of "and then what ... ?" when they were taken by surprise and given the go-ahead. :)
    I can see that the spaceship would take some time to explore - though they must have been on it for 9+ months for wosser-name's baby to pop out - but to have only just discovered the bridge - what have they been doing? Then that (rather lame) tale about the Cosmic Microwave Background??? Sorry but it doesn't make sense :confused: . If that's the spaceship's raison d'etre, why would it have to be manned and why does it make pit-stops at every planet it comes across? It so obviously sounds like the writers have pulled that idea out of their proverbials half way through the second series, just to try and give the impression of some sort of grand plan. It just doesn't ring true.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this week's episode, but I can't help thinking that Robert Knepper was a bit wasted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    The Mentalist vs SGU is a pointless debate.

Grace van Pelt vs 2nd Lt. Vanessa James

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    I enjoyed this week's episode, but I can't help thinking that Robert Knepper was a bit wasted.

I agree, he came to a feeble end but like good old t-bag he took plenty with him when he went and of course ruined Rush's life by ensuring he killed Amanda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    I think it's probably understood among the various executives that *every* show is on notice if the ratings are bad. ISTM anything can be canned at the end of any series with maybe a few episodes of notice (if they're lucky - some just stop and never come back).
    So in that case it seems like a strange thing to say: that there is no plan B - I would expect every show to have a plan B (even if it's something as lame as discovering another planet like the one they started off from and blowing that up so they can beam back to earth).
    As for having a 5 year grand plan - nah! I simply don't buy it I reckon they sold the show on the initial premise of soldiers stranded on a spaceship trying to get home and didn't have much in the way of "and then what ... ?" when they were taken by surprise and given the go-ahead. :)
    I can see that the spaceship would take some time to explore - though they must have been on it for 9+ months for wosser-name's baby to pop out - but to have only just discovered the bridge - what have they been doing? Then that (rather lame) tale about the Cosmic Microwave Background??? Sorry but it doesn't make sense :confused: . If that's the spaceship's raison d'etre, why would it have to be manned and why does it make pit-stops at every planet it comes across? It so obviously sounds like the writers have pulled that idea out of their proverbials half way through the second series, just to try and give the impression of some sort of grand plan. It just doesn't ring true.

Most series make it up as they go, no bigger example of that being Lost.
    The signal sent when the big bang happened gives them scope to pan out a good long story, but in a reality driven TV world if it gets a full third season it will be a miricle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SXTony wrote: »

Not been much of a Robert Knepper fan, I think he is getting a bit typecast, but even I think they under-used him a bit. But I also think they have under-used a lot of the characters from the Alliance, it's as if they decided to go a different way half way through which just left them as background characters. I definitely like to see more use of them - although I think there is only one main Alliance character left really now isn't there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still need to have a plan to end it early if necessary regardless.

They should be given a "final season" to finish it up. Finishing it without notice wouldn't be very helpful or practical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should be given a "final season" to finish it up. Finishing it without notice wouldn't be very helpful or practical.

I totally agree, but even the most avide supporter of the show like me has to be realistic that even if its gets a third season its not going to be a full one.
    The producers must be aware of this situation so they need to give the fans an ending and have a suitable ending in their heads if it dont get renewed.
    I would hope the network would let them end it properly even if it results in a short 3rd season.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    TPL wrote: »
    What movies?

Everybody knows that they aren't going to happen even if SGU was a success and was topping the ratings week in week out.

There simply isn't enough money to make them, particularly as most of the props and sets have been sold off.

You should tell Joe Mallozzi that then.

Last I heard on the movies is that they are looking at alternative financing. However MGM has recently entered Chapter 11 proceedings and will leave that state in a new structure being used primarily as a television production company.

That state is due to be ratified by court on a hearing starting Thursday.

The Hobbit and Bond are now ready to go with pre-production now continuing.

Stargate is MGMs most lucrative television franchise and second only to Bond in importance. The only thing they are waiting for is greenlighting the start of production on the movies. They have not been cancelled as yet.

At the start of the month MGM was granted $500m to ramp up production.

If SGU gets renewed (and unlike Caprica, although audiences declined they have now recovered to just below the start) then production on the movies could be greenlit to occur when production has finished on SGU S3. That would give MGM a continuous stream of Stargate.

However if SGU is cancelled then the movies would not be greenlit - you will not get any SGA - so for those people who want to see more SGA they need to embrace SGU as another facet of the Stargate Universe - not an interloper that has replaced their series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ja88ed wrote: »

van Pelt, she's not running around with weapons all the time ;)
    However if SGU is cancelled then the movies would not be greenlit - you will not get any SGA

Not that you actually know that.