Options

People driving with snow on their car roofs

Comments

• Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Had a bit of a nasty scare the other night. Drove with a pile of snow on the roof. Got as far as the motorway, then it fell onto my windscreen. No problem I thought, I'll just switch the windscreen wipers on and it'll be gone in 2 seconds.

It all compacted so my windscreen wipers couldn't get further than halfway, and there was already snow on the bonnet so my visibility was reduced badly. Had to pull over in a really inappropriate place to clear it. Lucky the traffic was so light, and each car couldn't go much faster than 30mph.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Snow on my roof does not impair my vision. If I was going on the motorway or a 60 road, I would remove it, but otherwise I usually leave it, because it's difficult not to push some of it onto the road. I think it's mostly frozen there, so it's sort of stuck like glue. No chance of that going anywhere on the routes I've took today :p
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ey? I am thick I know, but it stands to reason to me the snow will slide off the back of the car, not down over the windscreen? :confused:

Had a transit van overtake and cut in front of me on the A12 tonight. I really appreciated the big lumps of snow flying back off his roof and hitting my windscreen :thumbsup:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Do you use your sunroof to navigate then?
    Only when I'm invading Poland in my "Little Tank"... :p

http://www.oocities.com/televisioncity/2511/littletank.jpg
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw someone today with snow on the bonnet at least half way up the glass, insanity.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha, cars with snow on their roofs. They must be Russian cars. :)
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very difficult to get the snow off the top of my car, it's nothing to do with being lazy :confused: Short girl, tall car, no long tools available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I must admit, it's something I never do myself and something I'd never given it a moment's thought before. But there was a piece on BBC Breakfast last week giving tips about winter motoring and the expert there said that it was illegal to set off with snow still on the roof of the car.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I left my gloves in a hire car yesterday (thankfully, they were turned in and I got them back after I got into work, yay!) and there was no way I was going to clear the top of my car with my bare hands. I sort of need my fingers for typing. Besides, I don't think I got above 5mph for the whole trip, as all the traffic was concentrated on the one major road that had been gritted properly.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I find it very difficult to get the snow off the top of my car, it's nothing to do with being lazy :confused: Short girl, tall car, no long tools available.

Same here! I clean off all I could reach, and as another poster said, it was far too dangerous to carry the steps down the icy drive way!!

Did see several cars where they had only used the wipers on the windscreen. All other windows and lights completely covered!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I saw a young Dad and his 6 year old son come out of their house and straight into the car. Dad was of course talking on his mobile phone.

It was covered in snow, including the windows. He just got in started the engine and switched the wipers on. No attempt to clear the side windows or the back.

He then bumped down the kerb and an avalanche of snow slid from his roof. That poor kid in a car with no vision and a father driving one-handed in icy conditions. I hope they got there in one piece!
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Why??! Are they too lazy to do it? Yes, its cold but being 10 minutes or so late for work is preferable to crashing the car because your vision could be impared. Pathetic.

Well I drive forwards and the snow falls off the back, laws of physics...

God only knows how you must drive.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Well I drive forwards and the snow falls off the back, laws of physics...

That only works with fresh snow.

Once the snow has started to melt then frozen again the following night you end up with an almost solid lump of stuff that's stuck pretty firmly to your car roof.

You get in the car, drive off and put the heater on, heat slowly conducts through the car roof and the ice melts and big chunks of it fall off the back at random intervals.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sweeping brushes come in handy for us smaller creatures :)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    BBTweets wrote: »

I really don't mean to sound harsh but, I gotta say, as justifications go that's pretty weak.

If you acknowledge that snow on cars roofs might be an issue then you really have a responsibility to sort it out regardless of whether or not it's hard for you to do.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You get in the car, drive off and put the heater on, heat slowly conducts through the car roof and the ice melts and big chunks of it fall off the back at random intervals.

Which still won't impair my vision...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't mean to sound harsh but, I gotta say, as justifications go that's pretty weak.

If you acknowledge that snow on cars roofs might be an issue then you really have a responsibility to sort it out regardless of whether or not it's hard for you to do.

I was offering a suggestion from one small person to another - not a justification at all. A sweeping brush is the ideal thing to get the snow off the roof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Why??! Are they too lazy to do it? Yes, its cold but being 10 minutes or so late for work is preferable to crashing the car because your vision could be impared. Pathetic.

Lazy, NO! The snow on top of my car is frozen solid I cant get it off its so thick :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Calm down, geez. :o

It's very embarrasing to be a member of this forum, really. :sleep:

Agree - driving with snow on windscreen yes but on roof? give us a break....unless you are about to drive onto a motorway THEN take the time to brush some off BUT being carefull how you brush it off a i took a brush to an old Black Talbot Alpine and scored the hell out of it, :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where the hell am I going to get a sweeping brush from when I'm not outside my house? It's not going to fit in the car. How precisely do you two expect me to sort it out?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Where the hell am I going to get a sweeping brush from when I'm not outside my house? It's not going to fit in the car. How precisely do you two expect me to sort it out?

DONT use sweeping brush on new car! scores the hell out of it (see above post)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most would even fit in a Ford Ka so it sounds like you're just making excuses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most would even fit in a Ford Ka so it sounds like you're just making excuses.

WHAT? :confused: What kind of sweeping brush are you talking about? The only way I can imagine fitting a sweeping brush in my car is to have it poking between the seats to the windscreen.

Edit: And I've just checked, my car's dimensions are smaller than that of a Ford Ka except for the height.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paulcan38 wrote: »
    DONT use sweeping brush on new car! scores the hell out of it (see above post)

:rolleyes: For heaven's sake, I'm not talking about a yardbrush and I guess you've never taken your car through a car wash then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WHAT? :confused: What kind of sweeping brush are you talking about? The only way I can imagine fitting a sweeping brush in my car is to have it poking between the seats to the windscreen.

Edit: And I've just checked, my car's dimensions are smaller than that of a Ford Ka except for the height.

OK, I'll bite. Just what kind of car do you have that makes it impossible for you to reach the roof that is actually narrower than a Ford Ka?