Options

Is this case off limits too? The murder of the bride in South Africa. Anni Dewani

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    I think it was about the money and his feeling of entitlement to it. There is a rather gruesome tradition of bride-slaying in the Indian subcontinent, usually for enhancements to the dowry.

According to Anni's father, no dowry was paid as dowrys do not exist in their caste. At least that is what her father has said in one of the articles.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    Her family is wealthy, not seen evidence that she is in her own right.

Sure. And Prince William nanna is wealthy but that doesn't mean he is likely to be well off...

Seriously she is an engineer and a part time model, her family is wealthy and they spent £200,000 on her wedding. She is highly unlikely to be destitute. Meanwhile the Dewani family business is deeply in debt and her husbnd has previously courted an heiress...
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    What non-monetary motive?
    No idea as I don't know the couple. It could be any number of reasons.
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    According to Anni's father, no dowry was paid as dowrys do not exist in their caste. At least that is what her father has said in one of the articles.

Dowry is rare. But post marraige demands are not. especially if it is requests for loans to tide over business problems etc. At the end of the day it is still an insidious form of emotional blackmail.

I am assuming the Dewanis are 'sindhis', a business orientated clan who have a reputation, in india for being very money minded (like it or not that is the perception of Sindhis)
  • Options
    mrvervemrverve Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    In my opinion its a robbery gone wrong. The taxi driver was in on it, Mr and Mrs Dewani were not. They robbed them and then kept Anni (for obvious purposes) then either killed her on purpose or accidently. The South African police want to blame the husband because they don't want this pinned on them in fear of tainting their country further. The police ask the taxi driver to give a false account of what happen so that the focus is on the 'evil husband' instead of the social problems within SA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    I think it was about the money and his feeling of entitlement to it. There is a rather gruesome tradition of bride-slaying in the Indian subcontinent, usually for enhancements to the dowry.

Good theory. Don't let the fact that there was no dowrys, nor expectation of one in the traditions of her family's and that her hubby had to have noticed that fact put you off. Maybe he had to slay her because there was no dowry! :D
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The South African media do seem rather "pleased" that the finger is now being pointed at a non-national
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrverve wrote: »
    In my opinion its a robbery gone wrong. The taxi driver was in on it, Mr and Mrs Dewani were not. They robbed them and then kept Anni (for obvious purposes) then either killed her on purpose or accidently. The South African police want to blame the husband because they don't want this pinned on them in fear of tainting their country further. The police ask the taxi driver to give a false account of what happen so that the focus is on the 'evil husband' instead of the social problems within SA.

I doubt it was an accidental killing - she was shot in the head, stomach and hand. Why the hand though? Maybe that was accidental.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is a big if. Either the CCTV exists or it doesn't.

There's no logical reason for the SA authorities to fabricate a story about the existence of pertinent CCTV footage.

The real issue here concerns the particular way in which footage is understood or explained.

Indeed, Dewani's lawyer could argue that the evidence offered by Dewani supports a very different interpretation of the video.

Hence, can the CCTV footage be explained in different ways? The simple answer is yes. Dewani could have been paying the cabbie for a cab journey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrverve wrote: »
    The South African police want to blame the husband because they don't want this pinned on them in fear of tainting their country further.
    Because pinning a murder on an innocent tourist knowing that the world's press are going to scrutinise the case minutely is not at all alikley to affect the reputation of South Africa and peoples’s willingness to holiday there. If they had merely say found all three locals implicated and put them away swiftly that would have tainted the country as nobody likes going to countries where the police can find murderers and imprison them in a hell hole quickly. :confused:

Maybe the South African police should have hired Max Clifford. He might have set them right on this PR matter.

PS I wonder how that case in Perugia helped to rescue the reputation of the Italian justice system and reasure any students thinking of going there and how the Portugese tourism benefited in another well known case. Who wouldn't want to emmulate such successful counter strategies for minimising the bad rep of a country for a crime being committed there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »
    There's no logical reason for the SA authorities to fabricate a story about the existence of pertinent CCTV footage.

The real issue here concerns the particular way in which footage is understood or explained.

Indeed, Dewani's lawyer could argue that the evidence offered by Dewani supports a very different interpretation of the video.

Hence, can the CCTV footage be explained in different ways? The simple answer is yes. Dewani could have been paying the cabbie for a cab journey.

The answer will be in the detail of the CCTV if it can be seen. Was it £100 or £1000? Ride or death?

I cannot speak for everyone else, but I am pretty sure if that was a member of my family who had been killed in that way, the last thing on my mind would be meeting the cab driver in a hotel to pay a fare only 2 days after the murder. I might be thinking "could the cab driver be involved" in which case there is no way I would meet them to pay up. If the fare had to be paid I would ask the police to pass it on to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt it was an accidental killing - she was shot in the head, stomach and hand. Why the hand though? Maybe that was accidental.

The hand was probably covering her face for protection when they shot at her or when they were waving the gun around (if it was accidental). I mean nobody really knows but i'm not buying that the husband had anything to do with it.

What they were doing in that part of town AT ANY TIME is mind boggling though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you meet up with the cab driver who had driven you to a hijack that resulted in your wifes death to pay them for the trip? Do you think he gave him a tip?
  • Options
    PPIPPI Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    LOL @ Max Clifford

Talk about dropping a clanger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you meet up with the cab driver who had driven you to a hijack that resulted in your wifes death to pay them for the trip? Do you think he gave him a tip?

I bloody wouldn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because pinning a murder on an innocent tourist knowing that the world's press are going to scrutinise the case minutely is not at all alikley to affect the reputation of South Africa and peoples’s willingness to holiday there. If they had merely say found all three locals implicated and put them away swiftly that would have tainted the country as nobody likes going to countries where the police can find murderers and imprison them in a hell hole quickly. :confused:

Maybe the South African police should have hired Max Clifford. He might have set them right on this PR matter.

PS I wonder how that case in Perugia helped to rescue the reputation of the Italian justice system and reasure any students thinking of going there and how the Portugese tourism benefited in another well known case. Who wouldn't want to emmulate such successful counter strategies for minimising the bad rep of a country for a crime being committed there?

If you think arresting the three men charged with the murder will give assurences to individuals who are thinking of travelling there, you are deluded.

The SA tourist board/ government/ communities etc have been working flat out the past 3 years in trying to give SA a better image. They will do anything not to taint the country further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she is wealthy. Do you need extra life insurance on a spouse that is already wealthy? There is also the possibilty of a non-monetary motive.

Yep. He didn't to have a life insurance policy to gain from her death. I'm sure she had a will and her assets would go to him upon her death.

What is the point, as someone else mentioned, of the kidnappers letting him go (surely they would've gone to a cashpoint, removed all of their cash from them, taken valuables, etc.) Also, if I were being attacked, my husband would fight to the death to stop the attackers.

We don't know what their relationship was like. I know a couple that were all smiles on their wedding day, had a big posh do and a fantastic time, then broke up after the honeymoon. Marriage lasted 2 weeks. I wonder is another woman is involved.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the SA press is going overboard on this story to keep this sort of story out of the press
    http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/article795066.ece/Free-State-farmer-wife-and-child-3-killed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bloody wouldn't.

That's a bit tight isn' it? For all he knew the cab driver went through a traumatic experience. Why not tip him a grand or so he might need counselling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer will be in the detail of the CCTV if it can be seen. Was it £100 or £1000? Ride or death?

I cannot speak for everyone else, but I am pretty sure if that was a member of my family who had been killed in that way, the last thing on my mind would be meeting the cab driver in a hotel to pay a fare only 2 days after the murder. I might be thinking "could the cab driver be involved" in which case there is no way I would meet them to pay up. If the fare had to be paid I would ask the police to pass it on to them.

Both the cabbie and Mr Dewani initially told the police that they were all victims of a carjacking.

The cab driver hadn't been arrested and, indeed, wasn't an official suspect in Ann's death the day they were both caught on CCTV. So, if Dewani's version of events is true, he'd have had no reason to suspect/fear the cabbie at that stage.

People express grief in any number of ways. Hence, there isn't a correct/incorrect way to grieve for the dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit tight isn' it? For all he knew the cab driver went through a traumatic experience. Why not tip him a grand or so he might need counselling?

For all he knew the cab driver could have been involved. If that was you, would that not play on your mind as a possibility?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Poppitypop raised similar points. Please refer to post-224 of this thread, where I respond to Poppitypop. My explanation would be the same to the points you highlight. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppitypop raised similar points. Please refer to post-224 of this thread, where I respond to Poppitypop. My explanation would be the same to the points you highlight. :)

But put yourself in the Mr Dewani's shoes.
    You are hijacked in a taxi and your partner kidnapped and shot dead. You have nothing to do with the incident and you have no idea whether the taxi driver was involved as a set up or not. Would you really meet up with the taxi driver to pay an oustanding fare? I am pretty sure you have the common sense not to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all he knew the cab driver could have been involved. If that was you, would that not play on your mind as a possibility?

Are you assuming I wanted my partner dead, or alive or was indifferent? That would affect the size of the tip to the person who even if they weren't involved in setting up the hijack was too stupid to drive away from the thugs. Cos lets remember that putting your foot on the gas this is always the first option when you are in a car and someone tries to hold you up.
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure myself about the upset, perhaps she didn't like flying,
    Possible. My ex cried on the flight on the way home from our honeymoon in Jamaica for no other reason than that she hated flying. So she said!

I didn't kill her BTW.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Possible. My ex cried on the flight on the way home from our honeymoon in Jamaica for no other reason than that she hated flying. So she said!

I didn't kill her BTW.

Did she refuse to sit with you as well? Because that is what has been claimed. (About Anni, not your ex!)