Options

Frankie Boyle IGNORANT ANIMAL

Comments

• Options
    ddjddj Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Not sure what to say to you, you seem to have it sewn up how my son will feel and react to things, when you don't know the first thing about him. I myself will be doing my best to teach him the difference between a joke and a genuine attack, something you clearly haven't learned yourself, if this thread is anything to go by.

OMG you would laugh with people making fun of your son. Making fun of someone in a joke is an attack on that person. I don't need to know your son to know that it's demoralising.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Considering his poetic license in declaring that nobody laughed at the Maddie gag, and that there were no calls for an encore (note, carefully avoiding saying there wasn't one), I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that guy is talking shit, which extends to the Manning comparison. I mean all it takes is a quick youtube to see they are nothing alike.

Of course they are similar. You seem to be the one that does not want to see it.

The problem with Frankie, and that's what make it different than the humour of Family Guy for example, is that he's actually making fun what something he perceives is right to make fun of. That's what brings him totally close to Manning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digami wrote: »
    You, the OP and a few others need to read my post #123 because you're just not getting what comedy is about here.
    ddj wrote: »
    OMG you would laugh with people making fun of your son. Making fun of someone in a joke is an attack on that person. I don't need to know your son to know that it's demoralising.

Ahem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Of course they are similar. You seem to be the one that does not want to see it.

The problem with Frankie, and that's what make it different than the humour of Family Guy for example, is that he's actually making fun what something he perceives is right to make fun of. That's what brings him totally close to Manning.

No he isn't.

So you find Family Guy funny (I should say acceptable) but take offence to FB? How very interesting.
  • Options
    becksy1892becksy1892 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I wonder in this if the reaction would be different if Harvey wasn't Jordan's son but someones who is more well liked by the general public???

It was the same in the US when a tv show (not sure if south park or family guy???) made fun of Sarah Palin's son who has downs syndrome. It seemed that the child became fair game because of how people feel about her...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    becksy1892 wrote: »
    I wonder in this if the reaction would be different if Harvey wasn't Jordan's son but someones who is more well liked by the general public???

It was the same in the US when a tv show (not sure if south park or family guy???) made fun of Sarah Palin's son who has downs syndrome. It seemed that the child became fair game because of how people feel about her...

It was Family Guy, but they had someone who has Down's play the part, and the point was clearly that Palin uses her Down's son for political purpose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy comes in all shapes and sizes, and it has all sorts of purposes. Humour can penetrate the taboo, bring it into the open and make it easier to talk about. What the OP needs to understand is that the vulnerable aren't necessarily the 'butt' of the joke. Often the real butt is the people who actually do verbally abuse and/or assault the disabled.

It seems to me that FB's aim when he's in front of an audience is to hear that snigger, then that "ooooo.." - that murmur in the audience as people quickly self-search and decide whether they should laugh at this - followed by the laughter. When he's being plain crude, and IMO he does it well when considered with the likes of Roy C. Brown, he's making his audience question themselves, which I think is the overall point of comedy.

Well, as instructed, I have referred back to your post number 123. But I don't think it answers the questions being asked. If you want to 'bring a taboo out in to the open' and make the audience examine it, you need to do more than just make a series of bald taboo statements. I really can't see any evidence that when an audience hear a comedian say that children with Downs Syndrome have ugly faces and voices and are going to die soon, they think, "I'll think more carefully about their lives in future. Possibly I may have been a bit insensitive in the past."

I think it is far more likely that they think, "Ha ha! So they are ugly! I am so glad someone has had the courage to say this publicly so we needn't pretend that they look nice!" And ditto with Harvey Price. I honestly think that far more people will have thought, "Ha ha, let's stab slapper Price and her hideous son" than "Gosh, it must be difficult and painful having a child with those terrible multiple disabilities; I wonder whether he has coped well with having his picture in the magazines? Perhaps people shouldn't be buying them at all?"

As Victoria Wood once said in her very perceptive and insightful tv programme on humour, a joke HAS to have a creative aspect: you can't just say a bald sentence and call it a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No he isn't.

So you find Family Guy funny (I should say acceptable) but take offence to FB? How very interesting.

Of course i do, totally.

Family guy makes fun of stereotypes people have about certain subjects, the ideas created around those stereotypes.
    We are laughing at them and at our own stupid ideas.

Frankie or Manning are totally different, they sure have a right wing leaning and their jokes are based on those opinions, on what they perceived is fair game. I'm sure anyone that has seen Family guy wouldn't think the writers are nothing more then totally bleeding heart liberals.
    That's why i stopped watching South Park for example, the viciousness they would go for certain person or subject considered taboo, instead of a satire became more a covert attack for what their own extreme political leanings.
    There is a certain viciousness about Frankie that is everything but humorous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is far more likely that they think, "Ha ha! So they are ugly! I am so glad someone has had the courage to say this publicly so we needn't pretend that they look nice!" And ditto with Harvey Price. I honestly think that far more people will have thought, "Ha ha, let's stab slapper Price and her hideous son" than "Gosh, it must be difficult and painful having a child with those terrible multiple disabilities; I wonder whether he has coped well with having his picture in the magazines? Perhaps people shouldn't be buying them at all?" .

Really??? You have very little faith in human nature in that case.
    As Victoria Wood once said in her very perceptive and insightful tv programme on humour, a joke HAS to have a creative aspect: you can't just say a bald sentence and call it a joke.

Ah yes Victoria Wood. She's an authority on comedy...
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the creativity in Boyle's style of comedy is the way he takes you to the edge of acceptability, and where other comedians might let that tension build and then pull you all back from the brink as you anticipate, Boyle just shoves you head-first over it. Comedy, like music, or scriptwriting, is merely about building tension, and then release, building tension again, then release (oo-er) That's what he does, he builds tension by playing on your cringe factor, then completely wallows in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course i do, totally.

Family guy makes fun of stereotypes people have about certain subjects, the ideas created around those stereotypes.
    We are laughing at them and at our own stupid ideas.

Frankie or Manning are totally different, they sure have a right wing leaning and their jokes are based on those opinions, on what they perceived is fair game. I'm sure anyone that has seen Family guy wouldn't think the writers are nothing more then totally bleeding heart liberals.
    That's why i stopped watching South Park for example, the viciousness they would go for certain person or subject considered taboo, instead of a satire became more a covert attack for what their own extreme political leanings.
    There is a certain viciousness about Frankie that is everything but humorous.

You stopped watching South Park because of the vicousness? Dear me. What a sissy nanny. There's a lot of people in this thread completely missing the point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    becksy1892 wrote: »

Is it wrong to have a Down's syndrome person as character?
    They did not made fun of her son, they made fun of the fact that her son is used for political means.
    I do not think anyone with Down's syndrome could take offence to that sketch. One of the main characters was in love with her and she was allowed to be a b***, just like everyone else.. It actually normalised down's syndrome.
  • Options
    ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You stopped watching South Park because of the vicousness? Dear me. What a sissy nanny. There's a lot of people in this thread completely missing the point.

Such as you??? :confused: The point is people were offended, end of. :eek: :) You were not others were, simples. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have no intention of seeing programmes that are just ways for people expression their right wing views under the cover of satire. It clearly does not seem to bother you, but it bothers me.
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ddj wrote: »
    OMG you would laugh with people making fun of your son.
    Are you for real? That post of mine said nothing of the kind, I can see why people are starting to think you're just another troll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Frankie Boyle's humour has a lot more in common with Family Guy's than Manning's. Methinks you need to refresh yourself on all three and stop spouting such blatantly false nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no intention of seeing programmes that are just ways for people expression their right wing views under the cover of satire. It clearly does not seem to bother you, but it bothers me.

The title of this thread is itself kind of ironic. I wouldn't call you an animal but...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frankie Boyle's humour has a lot more in common with Family Guy's than Manning's. Methinks you need to refresh yourself on all three and stop spouting such blatantly false nonsense.

Is this the best you can answer? No wonder you're a Boyle fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The title of this thread is itself kind of ironic. I wouldn't call you an animal but...

:confused:
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was it Matt Stone once said "I hate conservatives, but I really fkn hate liberals!" ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Achtung! wrote: »
    What was it Matt Stone once said "I hate conservatives, but I really fkn hate liberals!" ? :D

oui...:D
  • Options
    ddjddj Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you for real? That post of mine said nothing of the kind, I can see why people are starting to think you're just another troll.

I am certainly not a troll-why would people think that? Is it because I don't like jokes made against people with learning disabilities and the wider implications of that? Also that I don't agree with what seems to be your extreme sick sense of humour?

You have not said anywhere that if people were making fun of your child as in a joke about him that you wouldn't laugh, that was my question to you. You brought your son into this, no one else.

You're resorting to insulting me because you cannot defend your principles of supporting comedy at any expense. Is there any comedy targetting the vulnerable that you would find offensive? Or is it all acceptable because it's 'edgy' and 'funny'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

Precisely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the best you can answer? No wonder you're a Boyle fan.
    You've yet to provide a single shred of evidence of the supposed similarity between Boyle and Manning, and that is glaring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ddj wrote:
    I am certainly not a troll-why would people think that?
    Because you're attributing statements to people when they haven't made them, in an apparent attempt to provoke a reaction.