Options

Four in a Bed - New Series

Comments

• Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry: i think i have made a huge mistake going on this programme because i have dedicated my life to the hospitality industry and have never upset a customer in my career. now i have come over as somebody that would traded their integrity for a picture on the wall

well done channel 4 for the brilliant editing of last nights episode you certainly got the reaction (95 hate mails)for me and 2.30 million views for you.

are you from the Swan pub?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    :cry: i think i have made a huge mistake going on this programme because i have dedicated my life to the hospitality industry and have never upset a customer in my career. now i have come over as somebody that would traded their integrity for a picture on the wall

well done channel 4 for the brilliant editing of last nights episode you certainly got the reaction (95 hate mails)for me and 2.30 million views for you.

I'm sorry you got hate mails. That's horrible, and undeserved. I do think you voted a bit tactically, but I'm sure most people would have done the same, given the personal nature of the b&b industry. There have been far, far worse examples on this show. Try not to take it to heart too much. There are plenty of people on this thread who have said that they would happily stay at your lovely b&b, me included, and I'm sure many, many viewers felt the same. And that's not taking into account all the people who have never even watched the show, and who never will. If it's any consolation, I'm sure that this will be quickly forgotten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »

No, he/she is from the B&B By the Beach. Lovely place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill was hideous, I think. Typical of the sort of person who loves to dish out criticism but cannot take it.

I found the Castle House owners to be very self-assured, they came into the show to win and not learn more about the trade- why enter?

I am glad Bournemouth B and B won, John and Chris are clearly passionate about their trade and produced the best value for money.

The Swan Inn was what it was: no frills and basic. They should not have entered this show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no B&B by the beach. had come across well the first few shows but didnt look good yesterday. I think it all went back to when the couples where introduced at the start and the husband said from the outset that he would be devious, so i think it is fair to assume that the only reason you reduced payment was to win the show.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh blimey...I've just seen your post. :(

There are some very sad people about. What a shame. Don't let them get to you..they are 'not real'. They certainly wouldn't be future customers of yours, just people who like to get some sort of reaction over the internet. They will move on to some-one else next week.

You know, I'm an avid viewer of Coach Trip and was astounded to find out that people who had appeared on the show had been receiving this type of message on Facebook. I know for example, Jenna from series 4 actually received death threats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sparkles wrote: »

There are some very sad people about. What a shame. Don't let them get to you..they are 'not real'. They certainly wouldn't be future customers of yours, just people who like to get some sort of reaction over the internet. They will move on to some-one else next week.

You know, I'm an avid viewer of Coach Trip and was astounded to find out that people who had appeared on the show had been receiving this type of message on Facebook. I know for example, Jenna from series 4 (I think???) actually received death threats.

Yes, there are a lot of sad nutters out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    No, he/she is from the B&B By the Beach. Lovely place.

Oh right... well then yes, she has dropped a minor clanger.. their place looks nice but they are not.
    Editing aside, they manipulated to win... it just wasnt worth it. I thought they were smug and bitchy.... now how did editing achieve that? They cant show it if they dont do it and say it.

I wouldnt fret.... the vast majority of people don't watch 4 in bed. It wont harm your business... I'd bet on it.... as for hate emails..... the world is full of knobs.

If I'd been on any show... I would NOT come on here, its like listening at a closed door... You're unlikely to hear stuff you want to hear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know, I'm an avid viewer of Coach Trip and was astounded to find out that people who had appeared on the show had been receiving this type of message on Facebook. I know for example, Jenna from series 4 actually received death threats.

Really? Some peeps are more bored than me then :)
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

Just ignore it, you did nothing to be ashamed of.

Unfortunately there are many nutters about who see the internet as a way to attack others because the whim takes them, I doubt any of them have even stayed in a B&B.

Do not rise to it, just sit back and they will soon get bored and find another target.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    Jill was hideous, I think. Typical of the sort of person who loves to dish out criticism but cannot take it.

I found the Castle House owners to be very self-assured, they came into the show to win and not learn more about the trade- why enter?

I am glad Bournemouth B and B won, John and Chris are clearly passionate about their trade and produced the best value for money.

The Swan Inn was what it was: no frills and basic. They should not have entered this show.

I think Gill is a nice enough lass, but terribly needy and hyper... needs a councillor... and some help in the B&B
    The Castle is beautiful and well worth the money, although they are as pleased with themsleves as its possible to be. For no discernable reason I suspect they do a lot of role playing in the bedroom :D
    B&BbtB looked very nice and offered good value for money... but they were just too pleased with themselves for my liking.
    The Swan was perfectly entittled to enter, they offer simple accomodation but at a very inexpensive rate, therefore offering VfM. When I travelled a lot for work, I often stayed in pub B&Bs, it did not look dirty to me, but them in a B&B I have never gone looking for dust on the picture rail :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    Just ignore it, you did nothing to be ashamed of.Unfortunately there are many nutters about who see the internet as a way to attack others because the whim takes them, I doubt any of them have even stayed in a B&B.

Do not rise to it, just sit back and they will soon get bored and find another target.

ooohh I dunno about that... I thought they were sneeky.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right... well then yes, she has dropped a minor clanger.. their place looks nice but they are not.
    Editing aside, they manipulated to win... it just wasnt worth it. I thought they were smug and bitchy.... now how did editing achieve that? They cant show it if they dont do it and say it.

Totally agree...but they do mess about with it to give a different impression sometimes on these shows. By cutting something important out they can change the intended meaning..that along with the leading questions they ask encouraging tongue in cheek responses which then aren't read as such.

Personally I think £20 was a lot to deduct & somewhat tactical. However, I do believe they gave a list of reasons why they made the deduction which were then edited out, and to be fair £20 deduction from £155 is probably not as bad as it first looks.

I can't imagine paying £155 for a night's B&B. Good God..we bought our son's first used car for less. :D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were the Bournemouth couple sneaky? It certainly looked it on the show, but Breakfastcook posted earlier that there were defects in their room that never made it in the edit - so they ended up looking petty.
    Personally I'd have been happy to stay at the pub, but then I'm a bloke so checking for dirt behind the wardrobes and under the bed would never occur to me:confused:
    Can't help but feel this show has been very much influenced by 'Come dine with me' now and I feel sorry for any owners that saw series 1 and came on this show expecting it to be the same. With the edit some serious harm can now be done to the businesses.
    I know the show can only show what has actually been said - but context is all. Charlie Brooker fans will recall his excellent 'Screen wipe' about reality TV and how its not very real at all..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It would be better if they were to take a percentage off of the price if they were not happy. This would be fairer when there's a big difference in the B&B's prices. So if the price was £50 and they took off 10% they would pay £45 and if the price was £155 and they took off 10% they would pay £139.50.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Well, BreakfastCook, I was glad you won. I thought your B & B offered by far the best value for money. Sorry to hear about the hate mails you've been getting, some people are just idiots.

I really didn't want the Castle House people to win, didn't like their attitude & Jill's attempts to sway the result. And nice though their place was, for £155 you can get a room at a decent hotel with an evening meal thrown in.

I was surprised you managed to eat the pancake after finding that hair in it, I wouldn't have eaten it and that alone was worth the deduction you made.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

95 hate mails! Good God.
    Can you imagine how many Donkey woman and the spiteful gay geezer got?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am liking this programe so far the amount of recapping though is seriously getting on my wick!
    regarding the programme itself it is a 'game' so in order to win you either have to be brave or play the game.
    i would have thought the way the B&B's come across on the programme would be good advertisement for the owners and encourage people to try them out if they happen to be in the area or not try them out in the case of some!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    95 hate mails! Good God.

Paul!!!! I would think his emails were in the 10's of 1,000's :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    95 hate mails! Good God.

she has just rung me to help me cope with hate mail as
    she had a really rough time, she was also edited
    she sounded really nice which was a real surprise having read all her negative publicity

not all bad now a lovely christmas card from cathy and ian
    and a nice email from jill in whitby who has taken on board some of my suggestions.

so may be worth it in the end

and the comment re i should not come on to here as i may hear bad is, not very respectful to the people on this site as the majority are interested in tv and not spiteful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    she has just rung me to help me cope with hate mail as
    she had a really rough time, she was also edited
    she sounded really nice which was a real surprise having read all her negative publicity

not all bad now a lovely christmas card from cathy and ian
    and a nice email from jill in whitby who has taken on board some of my suggestions.

so may be worth it in the end

and the comment re i should not come on to here as i may hear bad is, not very respectful to the people on this site as the majority are interested in tv and not spiteful

Gosh, that is surprising about Donkey Hill woman - she really did come across terribly in the programme - but it was nice of her to ring you. Glad to hear that at least some positives will come from your experience. It's always great to make new friends, isn't it? I really do feel for you re the hate mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh, I'm sure that person wasn't being disrespectful to the posters on this site. I think he or she was just saying that, given that this is a TV forum, there's bound to be some frank commentary that will be hurtful to you. After all, as viewers, we can only comment on what actually made the final cut, even though I'm sure most of us know full well that that is never going to be the whole story. If I were to appear on one of these shows, I would not come on here for a while, even though I love these forums and the majority of people who post here are very nice.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am liking this programe so far the amount of recapping though is seriously getting on my wick!regarding the programme itself it is a 'game' so in order to win you either have to be brave or play the game.
    i would have thought the way the B&B's come across on the programme would be good advertisement for the owners and encourage people to try them out if they happen to be in the area or not try them out in the case of some!.

The Friday programme has far too much padding, lots of recaps and endless shots of people placing money in the envelope. A better use of the time would be to show more footage of the couples discussing their marks and justifying them. For instance Chris and John have said on this forum there were flaws in their room at the Castle, but we did not see this so have formed an opinion based upon just a few endless repeated soundbites (John saying "I can be devious etc", which was pronably just one throw away comment).
    JulesF wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sure that person wasn't being disrespectful to the posters on this site. I think he or she was just saying that, given that this is a TV forum, there's bound to be some frank commentary that will be hurtful to you. After all, as viewers, we can only comment on what actually made the final cut, even though I'm sure most of us know full well that that is never going to be the whole story. If I were to appear on one of these shows, I would not come on here for a while, even though I love these forums and the majority of people who post here are very nice.

Very wise words. I would hope that people would think twice before making personal attacks or sending hate e-mails :eek::confused:, that then becomes too personal, but if we see something that offends/interests/amuses then as viewers we will say so. On the CDWM and Coach Trip threads former contestants have joined in and given a different perspective, but that should not stop viewers forming their own impressions based on what they see. I enjoy all these programmes and am glad that people are "brave" enough to take part, and even braver to come on here and out themselves!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........Just to highlight an example.....if all the rooms at the Swan were charged at £45 & everyone underpaid by £5, then they would receive 89% of their rate, whilst rooms at £155 underpaid by £5 would receive 97% of their rate.

That seems fair to me, since a £5 reduction at the Swan should only be for something a lot worse than the cause of a £5 reduction at the Castle.

Speaking of the Swan, did one couple say they should underpay by £10 because of the lack of a bathroom? They hadn't noticed that the proprietors had already done that - the room was £40 instead of £50.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    95 hate mails! Good God.

What sort of person would take the programme so seriously as to send hate mail? Pointless question really, how would you understand the answer?

I've realised who the spiteful gay man reminded me of; one of the men in 'A House in Crete', or maybe Greece , the one who had an obsession about a window sliding down - into their financial patrners' living space. I believe they returned to the UK; it isn't him, is it?
This discussion has been closed.