Options

Why are babies allowed on long haul flights?

Comments

• Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    You do realise that babies actually vary in their behaviour from one day to the next? You can have a very quiet baby most of the time but then the odd day when nothing seems to pacify them. Babies are human, not robots, like adults they have good and bad days and a test run of something wont always give the same result.

Hey, it wasn't my tip :)
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do all the people here moaning about crying babies realise that once they did exactly that themselves - all of us, in fact?

It's the only way babies have of communicating.

however my parents didn't inflict the torture/crying on others

without trying their very best to alleviate it

this is also good for the baby

a fact which seems to escape the notice of many extremely selfish parents
    the numbers of which seem to increase by the year

ee when i was a lad etc etc
  • Options
    Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually recommend that a baby doesnt fly until 3 months old, by this time they usually have a routine so you can prepare. Babies eardrums are very narrow so on take off and landing this can be painful but not to a level that parents should be squawked at for daring to a take a holiday with a little one. You would be more likely to catch germs from being in close contact with numerous other people but this is also true if you enrol your child in day care or have numerous meetings with different adoring relatives.

On a whole I have a sympathy for the parents on flights not only do they have to deal with their childs needs but they have to put up with the spiteful looks they get from other passengers. Yes you've paid to sit in a 50 cm seat with no leg room, artificial air, food not suitable for human consumption and an overly friendly drunk man in the seat next to you for company, is a crying baby really the thing that makes air travel annoying or is it just the experiance as a whole.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »

You can remember being a baby?
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I reckon that anyone complaining about babies is just complaining about the crying ones.

No poo-poo, Detective Holmes! :p
    It is like that story of Elton John calling room service and demanding that they stop the noisy wind blowing outside as it was disturbing his sleep.

True story?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine niether.

I was 9 when I first flew. My parents could not be doing with the hassle of taking me abroad as a kid.

Stingey buggars lol
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Flying to Australia in 1998 was a brat I christened "Iron Lungs" as all he did was scream and scream and scream.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Not neccessarily. If your relatives live in China, take them on a plane to Spain or Ireland first, as was suggested.

But given that a baby's mood changes from one minute to the next, what benefit is there in a pointless practice run to somewhere I don't want to visit?

As the other poster said, you appear to have no understanding of how a baby works, so best leave the childraising tips to Dr Tanya, eh?
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Parents who want to show off their baby to family and friend in far of lands...why not get a computer with a webcam. Its cheaper, and you can talk/watch with said friend/relatives for months on end, and not just for a 2/3 week period. Then when the child is older say 4 years old, then take them on a flight.

I agree with the option of adult only flights - its a good idea.

Taking a baby on a long flight, is pure selfishness on the parents behalf, its obvious that it wont be good for the baby. Yet they insist on doing it. Probably more to do with what they want, rather than whats best for the baby.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have flown a lot and never had a problem with babies crying. I have though had to suffer some adults being really annoying.

Same here ... and some of the adults I've had to travel with have been just as whingy as some ppl on this thread!
    Great tip! Totally useless if you have to visit relatives in China of course, but thanks anyway...

Quite - what on earth would you want to do a random flight to Spain for if your family are in China? I know, let's just go on a random 3 hour flight to Spain for no reason to check out how baby likes flying ... cos of course baby will behave exactly the same on the long haul to Asia :D

Firstly I don't think any parent has a crying baby without trying their best to alleviate it. Of course there are different schools of thought on what these best methods may be.

Secondly I am sure that unless your parents lived the life of a recluse for many years they certainly inflicted the torture / crying of you as a baby on other people. It's part of life, get over it. We've all cried as babies and we've all had to grit our teeth and put up with other people's babies crying. Diddums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    my first flight was when i was 8, turbulence was so bad the cabin staff were throwing up- what a way to be inducted into flying
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Parents who want to show off their baby to family and friend in far of lands...why not get a computer with a webcam. Its cheaper, and you can talk/watch with said friend/relatives for months on end, and not just for a 2/3 week period. Then when the child is older say 4 years old, then take them on a flight.

Taking a baby on a long flight, is pure selfishness on the parents behalf, its obvious that it wont be good for the baby. Yet they insist on doing it. Probably more to do with what they want, rather than whats best for the baby.

I'd say the selfishness lies with those who would deny my child the opportunity to forge a bond with her grandparents and uncles (which, I'm sorry, is not going to happen over Skype) because they are too delicate to share airspace with a baby.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »

Yep and all the people whining about children and wanting them banned from places are completely unselfish. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

Difference is, it's your kid, you chose to have it-why should everyone else have to put up with it?

I'm sure that other people as well as your parents had to put up with you when you were a child. Or did they keep you removed from society until you were an adult?
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be frustrating long haul but there's no realistic way around it. Baby's sometimes cry.

The only time i've got upset was paying extra to have an extra legroom seat from London to Los Angeles and not being able to use the leg room because some parents decided the bulkhead area would be a good place for their children to draw pictures and play with toy cars. I ended up with severe cramp because i couldn't move my legs in case they tripped over me or i accidentally kicked them. The parents wouldn't help and the airline wouldn't refund me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People fly. Babies are people too.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what those that get so annoyed of others kids will do when they have children. Babies are a fact of life, we all start out as them and we will all need them as we get older to support us in our old age.
    Completely untrue. Not everyone has or wants kids, regardless of the apparent belief to the contrary of some parents.

All too true.
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'd say the selfishness lies with those who would deny my child the opportunity to forge a bond with her grandparents and uncles (which, I'm sorry, is not going to happen over Skype) because they are too delicate to share airspace with a baby.
    Why? Why should we give a damn? Typical of the sense of entitlement diusplayed by many parents today.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    N20JetCar wrote: »
    Its one of the perils of buying a ticket on standby. Your seating is random and you could end up being sat next to a wailing infant with flailing arms and legs ready to smack you in the mouth and knock your glass of wine down your front.

What are you on about? Whether you buy a standby ticket or a full price one months in advance you still don't know whether a baby will be beside you.

It's public transport at the end of the day, a flying bus if you like. Either hire a private jet or deal with it. The airline companies are certainly not going to ban infants from flying, they would lose too much revenue. Buy yourself some noise cancelling headphones and deal with it as best you can. As mentioned before, a screaming baby is far more stressful for the parent than other passengers. It's not nice, but that's life.

I don't have kids but i've been told they are necessary to continue the Human Race.:)
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that other people as well as your parents had to put up with you when you were a child.
    They still do.

My first flight was when I was six weeks old. My dad was posted to the UK and had to bring his new family with him. I hadn't yet logged enough hours to fly the plane myself.

People on this thread seem to be under the impression that all flights are taken for leisure purposes and have unlimitedly flexible schedules. On the other hand perhaps parents appear to be ignoring or encouraging the disruption which can lead to considerable bad feeling from other people who aren't sympathetic to their situation.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

I am afraid epicurian that if you and your baby sat next to me on a long flight, little baby would scream his/her head off for the duration. One look at my face has that effect on babies. :eek::D

Seriously though (just for a minute) It doesn't bother me in the slightest sitting next to parents with tiny babies. I'd rather sit next to a baby than an adult with BO and severe halitosis.

When my son was a baby (about 1 I think) I took him to America. I remember a lady and her (I assume) husband sat next to us. The lady said to her husband "I hope that thing is not going to scream all the way to Miami" Cheeky old bag!! :eek::)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid epicurian that if you and your baby sat next to me on a long flight, little baby would scream his/her head off for the duration. One look at my face has that effect on babies. :eek::D

Seriously though (just for a minute) It doesn't bother me in the slightest sitting next to parents with tiny babies. I'd rather sit next to a baby than an adult with BO and severe halitosis.

When my son was a baby (about 1 I think) I took him to America. I remember a lady and her (I assume) husband sat next to us. The lady said to her husband "I hope that thing is not going to scream all the way to Miami" Cheeky old bag!! :eek::)

that sounds like me:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have assured her that the baby had signed a written agreement to limit disruption to socially acceptable levels and showed her a scribbled on crayoning book as proof.

Alternatively non-Ryanair airlines could offer their passengers a choice of seats in "screaming or non-screaming" during check-in.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    They still do.

My first flight was when I was six weeks old. My dad was posted to the UK and had to bring his new family with him. I hadn't yet logged enough hours to fly the plane myself.

People on this thread seem to be under the impression that all flights are taken for leisure purposes and have unlimitedly flexible schedules. On the other hand perhaps parents appear to be ignoring the disruption which can lead to considerable bad feeling from other people who aren't sympathetic to their situation.

As a parent you are only too aware you are the most hated person on any flight if your child makes a noise. The scowls usually start regardless of whether your child is making any noise anyway.

I've given up caring about hateful attitudes to children by certain people, there isn't much you can do to change their minds. I bet it's the same people who moan about the breakdown of society and community too.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...and did you in fact scream all the way to Miami? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a parent you are only too aware you are the most hated person on any flight if your child makes a noise. The scowls usually start regardless of whether your child is making any noise anyway.

I've given up caring about hateful attitudes to children by certain people, there isn't much you can do to change their minds. I bet it's the same people who moan about the breakdown of society and community too.
    You're not doing much to convince the "neutrals" here. Perhaps the pessimists are correct.

Personally I don't have much sympathy for fellow passengers who themselves chose to take a long haul flight and forgot to pack noise cancelling headphones or strong vodka. They are as much to blame as anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.