Options

Why are babies allowed on long haul flights?

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone should start a poll and see hoe many would pay extra for a childless flight / part of plane!
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe someone should start a poll and see hoe many would pay extra for a childless flight / part of plane!

Or who would be in favour of higher ticket prices for passengers under a certain age? :p
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put the babies in a creche in first class.

Or if they're small enough just send them as a parcel. Wrap em up good and warm in a nice box with air holes. Babies are very resiliant.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    that sounds like me:D:D

Do you look like the Queen? She was the spitting image of our wonderful leader. :eek:
    UKMikey wrote: »
    You should have assured her that the baby had signed a written agreement to limit disruption to socially acceptable levels and showed her a scribbled on crayoning book as proof.

Alternatively non-Ryanair airlines could offer their passengers a choice of seats in "screaming or non-screaming" during check-in.

:D:D I actually wanted him to have a tantrum (just for her) but he was as good as gold for the whole journey.
    ...and did you in fact scream all the way to Miami? :p

Yes - indeed I did. I also poo'ed myself and stunk the place up. ;) :cool:
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the answer is to put all families with young children together in a soundproof area, so that they can suffer each other :D
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Why should we give a damn? Typical of the sense of entitlement diusplayed by many parents today.

Have I entered bizarro world? :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or who would be in favour of higher ticket prices for passengers under a certain age? :p

Now, now - as things stand babies are allowed on all flights, so if people start demanding babies are segregated they pay the higher prices.

(I am childless btw and have my fair share of kiddy / plane horror stories - but think the above is fair!)
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise wrote:
    I wonder what those that get so annoyed of others kids will do when they have children. Babies are a fact of life, we all start out as them and we will all need them as we get older to support us in our old age.

Completely untrue. Not everyone has or wants kids, regardless of the apparent belief to the contrary of some parents.

Where did I say everyone has or wants kids? I pointed out we will all though need them in our old age, that doesn't mean our own. If nobody had kids, who would be the tax paying workers when we retire?

I am totally aware that many don't want kids, I was one of them until my son appeared by accident when I hit 40. It is amazing how your eyes open once you have a child. I also hate how all babies and children are lumped together on behaviour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    Where did I say everyone has or wants kids? I pointed out we will all though need them in our old age, that doesn't mean our own. If nobody had kids, who would be the tax paying workers when we retire?

I am totally aware that many don't want kids, I was one of them until my son appeared by accident when I hit 40. It is amazing how your eyes open once you have a child. I also hate how all babies and children are lumped together on behaviour.

in what way please? A genuine question from someone who finds the thought of having a child horrific, i am genuinely interested in how it opens your eyes:)
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not doing much to convince the "neutrals" here. Perhaps the pessimists are correct.

Personally I don't have much sympathy for fellow passengers who themselves chose to take a long haul flight and forgot to pack noise cancelling headphones or strong vodka. They are as much to blame as anyone else.

Bad choice of words I know but I just don't have much time for people who seemingly hate children to the point of making derogatory remarks about them. I've tried being reasonable and it doesn't work so I just ignore them. That's not the same as being a bad parent or thinking people should 'put up with my children' though, I still do my best to causes as little disruption as possible.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I have the one daughter and i love her to bits but for some reason i can't stand other people kids, i don't get it.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isn't everything in the world tailored to suit my needs?

It's not fair! :mad:
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Why isn't everything in the world tailored to suit my needs?

It's not fair! :mad:

Perhaps someone should invent some type of volume controlled bubble that people can activate around themselves once they leave their homes. :p
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not doing much to convince the "neutrals" here. Perhaps the pessimists are correct.

Personally I don't have much sympathy for fellow passengers who themselves chose to take a long haul flight and forgot to pack noise cancelling headphones or strong vodka. They are as much to blame as anyone else.

You have a point. Though to me babies aren't the worst - they can't help it, I am driven mad by those nasty little spoilt seat-kicking children who run around the plane and whpse parents ignore them.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    The parents of those babies on those flights must be bloody loaded. When my ex had our kids we had to kiss goodbye to every bloody luxury under the sun. My honeymoon was three years late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I think your being really unfair OP - you can't group all babies together under one banner.

Firstly the child you are talking about was not a baby - you said she was running around laughing at your stop over - so she was a toddler at the very least.

Toddlers get bored, so it was probably more that with her than anything.

We took my son to florida aged 8 months, we asked for a cot, but didn't get one so had to balance him on our knees the whole way, he didn't make a peep - in fact when we got off a man a few rows up mentioned how quiet he'd been.

So we thought going to rhodes with my son (now 5) and my daughter (12 months) was going to be fine, and on the way out it was, both were good as gold. On the way back my daugher got an ear infection and did scream the whole way back. What was I supposed to do? Leave her in greece?? I felt awful, and was well aware of all the other people on the flight - it was delayed as well, which didn't help. The dirty looks and tuts we got from people were really helpful, all they did was stress me out more, which in turn stressed her out - they could see we were doing everything we could to try and soothe her.

Just bear in mind that the parents probably don't feel great about it either, but when a baby cries, there isn't alot you can do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I once flew from Istanbul to London, with a squalling toddler in the opposite seat. Honestly, this boy screamed and screeched the whole way. I hoped and thought he'd stop, but he didn't. His throat must have been really sore when he got to Heathrow.
    Unfortunately, he was with the same family you always get on flights - his older sister refused to put her seatbelt on, and her mum just smiled and let her. She spent most of the flight running up and down the aisle, with her mum chasing her ineffectually. The screaming little boy was left to scream with his dad. Nightmare.

I think there is a case for dedicated "family" areas on some long-haul flights.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely untrue. Not everyone has or wants kids, regardless of the apparent belief to the contrary of some parents.

Actually Denise is right, whether you like it or not children have to be born and society as a whole should hold the responsibilty of caring for these children not just the parents, it's up to us all to create a livable enviroment for everyone and to make the early years for children easy so in return they can help us when we get old and can't manage ourselves.
  • Options
    Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know where people get the idea that they should enjoy flying.

I count myself very lucky if I don't end up near a screaming child/smelly fat bloke/overly chatty imbecile/reclining seat nazi/insert your own pet hate.

It is called 'economy' for a reason.

I recommend a fat dose of good tranquiliser... extra marks for secretly administering it to the screaming child, especially if it's not yours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know where people get the idea that they should enjoy flying.

I count myself very lucky if I don't end up near a screaming child/smelly fat bloke/overly chatty imbecile/reclining seat nazi/insert your own pet hate.

It is called 'economy' for a reason.

I recommend a fat dose of good tranquiliser... extra marks for secretly administering it to the screaming child, especially if it's not yours.

Stoopid question but could you not get Tranqs off the doc to make sure the baby sleeps?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Stoopid question but could you not get Tranqs off the doc to make sure the baby sleeps?

It's frowned upon these days, but you can. A friend of mine did for her daughter, who was eight and terrified of flying.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Why should we give a damn? Typical of the sense of entitlement diusplayed by many parents today.

IN return why should anyone give a damn about you and your sense of entitement?

Why is your "right" to take a flight any greater than a babies? How about you stay home if coming into contact with people annoys you so much?

Yes, it can be a pain in the arse if a kid is wailing, but normal people just deal with it.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I think there is a case for dedicated "family" areas on some long-haul flights.

I like that idea, in fact you could split the plane and have one section for families and the other adults only. But I agree with the poster who mentioned adult only flights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These anti kid threads always make me laugh. There seems to be a massive section of this forum that don't realise that babies and children are actually people.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'd say the selfishness lies with those who would deny my child the opportunity to forge a bond with her grandparents and uncles (which, I'm sorry, is not going to happen over Skype) because they are too delicate to share airspace with a baby.

My point was the selfishness of the parents, who would subject their child to the rigours of a long haul flight. I didnt mention other passengers. Maybe you should re-read my post, as you have misread it.

As for the bonding, thats total rubbish, a baby, meeting some relatives for a couple of weeks, wont remember them once they get back home. Like I said erlier, its more to do with the paretns wanting to show-off their new baby.
    Yep and all the people whining about children and wanting them banned from places are completely unselfish. :D

It depends on the situation, if the child cries for 5 mins and then is quite, then there is no case to whine. If on the other hand, the babies cries for 30mins+ at a time, then I dont think it is whining, and they are total entitled to feel aggrieved.
This discussion has been closed.