Options

The Gadget Show - brought to you by Apple

Comments

• Options
    VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Big_Ted wrote: »
    Cost wise the Win phone 7 is so far a big failure.....

MS have spent approx $500,000,000 on advertizing/promotion etc. :eek:

so thats $357 per phone on advertising etc........:eek:

Yes, it needs to turn around very quickly or Microsoft has another Kin on its hands. :cry:
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    After wandering into PC World the other week they had a lineup of a good dozen netbooks.

Not one of them was 11.6" with my conclusion being PC World insist in buying old and cheap and selling high.

I was in to PC World last night to drop off a used LaserJet cartridge.

They really don't have scoobys at how to sell anything and certainly not anything of quality.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vallhund wrote: »
    The difference between proprietary and open is this. It's bit like you have a prize Bulldog bitch. One owner (Apple) makes sure that it select its mate very carefully to produce the best puppies possible. With an Open System you let the dog run around the neighbourhood in the rather optimistic hope that a suitable mate will be found and good puppies will be the result. The wishful thinking is impressive, the common sense is not. :rolleyes:

Using that analagy I'd say its more like proprietary being the bulldogs owner (apple) only allowing it to mate with a specific bulldog bloodline, wheras open source would allow it to mate with any pedigree bulldog to possibly produce even better puppies as there'd be more choice;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Using that analagy I'd say its more like proprietary being the bulldogs owner (apple) only allowing it to mate with a specific bulldog bloodline, wheras open source would allow it to mate with any pedigree bulldog to possibly produce even better puppies as there'd be more choice;)

Yes, you could get something that was a nice as Apple chooses, but in my experience that is very, very rare.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After wandering into PC World the other week they had a lineup of a good dozen netbooks.

Not one of them was 11.6" with my conclusion being PC World insist in buying old and cheap and selling high.

You're dead right PC World are just box shifters. Knowledge of the products they are flogging is notoriously weak too. I was once told by one of them that any equipment with a blue LED on it was bluetooth enabled. I kid you not !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

Unless it mates with a stray and you end up with something worth very little :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    You're dead right PC World are just box shifters. Knowledge of the products they are flogging is notoriously weak too. I was once told by one of them that any equipment with a blue LED on it was bluetooth enabled. I kid you not !

You mean its not :eek:

But my electric toothbrush has a blue light and I was going to use my ipad to control it :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »

I seriously hope are joking. Of course you have to be. No shop assistants could be that misguided, shirley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    The iPad is a toy. End of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The iPad is a toy. End of.

Let's see it can be used for writing, doing presentations, emails, web browsing, applications, consuming media, e-reader.

Not really a toy in any way. Time to think out of the box. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Let's see it can be used for writing, doing presentations, emails, web browsing, applications, consuming media, e-reader.

Not really a toy in any way. Time to think out of the box. :rolleyes:
    But it is a toy. It is perfect for the Gadget Show Gadget of the year as that is exactly what it is, a Gadget Toy.

It is not the best at any of those things. It is an expensive way of doing all of those things. But it is very easy and convenient to use.

You also assume (and to be fair I think the other poster means it to be...) that calling something a toy is derogatory.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its toy of the year.
    Few of us actually need a powerful computer.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Gotta love how tablets have been around for years without really taking off outside professional circles and then only in certain industries, then Apple releases one, and suddenly it's the new, Apple created, revolutionary in thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's because Apple understands consumers and what they want, as well as what they need. Apple is also expert at knowing what to put into a product and what to leave out.

Interesting to note that the Financial Times has just named Apple CEO Steve Jobs as Person of the Year and MarketWatch has named him CEO of the Decade.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main market area for these devices are; Kids, people who travel long distances, and people who have money to waste...oh and news readers/TV hosts apparently...in that order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nokia sells the most handsets, Samsung has the highest handset revenue.
    Apple take 40% of global handset profits.

All can be said to be success stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chiller15 wrote: »
    The main market area for these devices are; Kids, people who travel long distances, and people who have money to waste...oh and news readers/TV hosts apparently...in that order.

If you look at it that is a rather arrogant statement. The current iPad isn't a device that I would buy, but for a large number of people it replaces the need for gaming devices, laptops and netbooks, media players and ebook readers.

Sounds like a pretty useful device for many. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at it that is a rather arrogant statement. The current iPad isn't a device that I would buy, but for a large number of people it replaces the need for gaming devices, laptops and netbooks, media players and ebook readers.

Sounds like a pretty useful device for many. :rolleyes:
    Gaming devices? Really? The only things it could replace are the DS or PSP, which aren't that popular any more. Even still, Flash based games are still massively popular online, but the iPad can't play them. It can't compete against a PS2, let alone an Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gaming devices? Really? The only things it could replace are the DS or PSP, which aren't that popular any more. Even still, Flash based games are still massively popular online, but the iPad can't play them. It can't compete against a PS2, let alone an Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii.

No, some people prefer portable gaming so it would replace the consoles too and I don't recall saying anything about that moribund technology known as Flash. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Whilst I agree with the flash comment which does hinder it as a web based gaming device, the IPad is proving very popular with board game development and conversion to using the pad as the board and game engine, with talk of also being able to use IPhones as devices for holding your own hand of cards (or similar). Not a huge amount out yet, but a lot are in the pipeline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, some people prefer portable gaming so it would replace the consoles too and I don't recall saying anything about that moribund technology known as Flash. :rolleyes:
    No, you didn't, I did...I mentioned it because no matter which way you slice it, not having Flash is a fundamental flaw in the device. A point which has been argued since it's launch, which people like you can't seem to understand why it is a flaw. Flash obviously has it's downsides, however a lot of the Internet is powered by Flash.

Portable gaming isn't as popular as you think. I commute a lot, and there aren't many people who use anything larger than a phone.
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Tablets - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

Touchscreen phones - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

Hard-drive based MP3 players - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

GUI operating systems - both MS and Apple stole this from Xerox.

Who is imitating Apple?

It is painfully obvious to all (except those with Apple-shaped rose tinted glasses) that the Gadget Show must receive backhanders from Apple. If Apple released a turd, it'd probably win gadget of the decade.

Hmmm... while Apple may not have invented the above, they certainly popularised them. iHaters are just as bad as iTards in my view. The people imitating Apple are all those vendors who either had something that wasn't as good, or those who are rushing out "me to" products.

To be fair, the gadget show is pretty unbiased IMO. They have often reviewed products where Apple products lost out to competitors. That iPad is gadget of the year I think is right.

But as I have a Mac myself I clearly am a fanboi and therefore you won't need to listen to a word I say... :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, you didn't, I did...I mentioned it because no matter which way you slice it, not having Flash is a fundamental flaw in the device. A point which has been argued since it's launch, which people like you can't seem to understand why it is a flaw. Flash obviously has it's downsides, however a lot of the Internet is powered by Flash.
    Flash's presence is diminishing quickly. I would see not having Flash as a plus.
    Portable gaming isn't as popular as you think. I commute a lot, and there aren't many people who use anything larger than a phone.

I wouldn't say that it would be the ideal commuting platform, but portable gaming is popular.
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Hmmm... while Apple may not have invented the above, they certainly popularised them. iHaters are just as bad as iTards in my view. The people imitating Apple are all those vendors who either had something that wasn't as good, or those who are rushing out "me to" products.

Look for a rash of Tablet devices at CES and we can almost guarantee that consumers will never see them in the shops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash's presence is diminishing quickly.
    Correcting hat you said Apple gives the the consumer what Apple wants.
    Marketing makes the consumer want it.

Users would not say no to Tegra 2, HDMI, an SD slot, standard bluetooth capabilities, a removable battery, 512MB memory(same as as the iPhone), tethering and USB host ability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correcting hat you said Apple gives the the consumer what Apple wants.
    Marketing makes the consumer want it.

Users would not say no to Tegra 2, HDMI, an SD slot, standard bluetooth capabilities, a removable battery, 512MB memory(same as as the iPhone), tethering and USB host ability.
    • Tegra 2? No one Cares
    • Bluetooth? No one Cares
    • SD slot? No one Cares
    • removable battery? Would result in poorer performance.
    • HDMI? OK
    • Tethering? OK, but the American carriers would hate it.
    • Better Memory? OK
    • USB Host? OK
    The ones at the bottom of the list may show up in iPad 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tegra 2? No one Cares
    Bluetooth? No one Cares
    SD slot? No one Cares
    removable battery? Would result in poorer performance.
    Indeed marketing makes the consumer not want.

What a weird definition of 'no one' though.