Options

Hysterical reactions to everything on message boards..why?

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    LDN wrote: »
    Some of the angriest members are probably nice as pie in real life;)

I'd agree with that. What you are like on tinternet doesn't necessarily reflect how you are really like in real life or truly reflects your off line personality.

Some lessons to be learned there.

Having said that, some on-line personas I've seen here and on other message boards are still probably like that in real life.

But, meh, as I'm highly unlikely to meet them outside of message boards, i.e. off line, therefore who they are and what they are is not important at all.
  • Options
    qixvixqixvix Posts: 10,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we don't all agree in r/l either, and it doesn't get as nasty.

a little thing called a monitor :D

seriously, I come on here randomly - usually I am too busy with my RL - I find that some people are so stubborn and to be frank, a little weird that maybe this IS the only interaction that they have on a day to day basis - maybe they are silent in RL or even worse, just as obnoxious and therefore do not have real friends to talk to so this is their outlet

I am amazed when I see those who have inflexible thinking latch on to someone who has the same viewpoint and then they start chatting to each other as if they are in a 'gang' and as sad as that is on what is supposed to be an objective debate, it is not what this place is for them - rather it is a place where they get the positive strokes they do not receive in RL, so they take it personally, this is a little world for them, not just a topic of discussion, but where they 'save face' and try to impress others

I betcha if someone gathered all the data on the most frequent members they would fit the profile of someone who does not get out much
  • Options
    Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Because if were all reasonable and agreed all the time, it'd be frightfully dull.

That's rubbish. You should read a site called TWOP that is a prime example of a forum where everyone more or less agrees but it's still fun and entertaining.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my_login wrote: »
    ............ I would say the written word is potentially the most descriptive and verbose use of language. It is more suited to such detail than the spoken word.

I wouldn't normally pick someone up on vocabulary; however, since that is part of what this thread is about, I'll ask:

Do you actually know the meaning of the woed "verbose"? If you do, what does it mean in that sentence?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally pick someone up on vocabulary; however, since that is part of what this thread is about, I'll ask:

Do you actually know the meaning of the woed "verbose"? If you do, what does it mean in that sentence?

I always thought verbose just meant something with loads of words? Then again, it's not a word I've ever used before, in reality it could be the correct name for the noise that car indicators make for all I know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I just get sick of the f*cking know it alls. They seem to miss every point I make, obsessing unnecessarily over every minor detail.

I could tell them they look "lovely today" and by page 3, once those nitpickers get at it, it will have decended into some debate about space and time and how “today” is abstract and means nothing at all :D

I wonder if those people ever leave their sheltered accomodation?

Your description of such posters makes me think of Cliff from Cheers! :D

I do think there has to be something a bit "special" about that type of poster...
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, the main reason I chose to join DS was because it was a diverse and thriving community of individuals.

These days it seems like it's become a stalking ground for internet trolls.
    Seems like half the threads in GD are posted with nothing more than the intent of creating argument or to demean something or somebody. :(
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question.
    Although I have no idea what the answer is tbh. But it does rile me the way people go over & over saying the same thing in one thread about not approving of the thread content.
    I just want to know why they keep going in the thread they dont like. And if they cant resist, why keep complaining about it.
    I expect some of it is because they are so stubborn, they cant take on board what people are saying. I used to think I was stubborn, but since using chat forums I have realised how many people have changed my opinion on things, just by explaining it.
    This place is quite good because I seriously seem to learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least threads on DS don't result in DDoS attacks like they can on 4chan ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I think the biggest mistake made on these forums is divulging personal information about yourself as I've seen it being used against people on a regular basis. Par example when someone was being critical of supermarket staff who apparently had never had a job which was pointed out with some kind of snide glee by another poster like they had uncovered the juiciest dirt possible.
  • Options
    KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question.
    Although I have no idea what the answer is tbh. But it does rile me the way people go over & over saying the same thing in one thread about not approving of the thread content.
    I just want to know why they keep going in the thread they dont like. And if they cant resist, why keep complaining about it.
    I expect some of it is because they are so stubborn, they cant take on board what people are saying. I used to think I was stubborn, but since using chat forums I have realised how many people have changed my opinion on things, just by explaining it.
    This place is quite good because I seriously seem to learn something new everyday.

That is why I keep coming back...or came back. I don't know about the whingers? I mean why bother arguing over something on the internet it's a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Lovely!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimmler wrote: »
    That is why I keep coming back...or came back. I don't know about the whingers? I mean why bother arguing over something on the internet it's a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Haha :D
    Yep, it's a good place. I wouldn't come back else. Occasionally it has seemed like the place has been taken over by a bunch of people with a distruct button attched to them. Xmas day or boxing day seemed to be like that.
    But I just click on the x & come back the next day & as if by magic they seem to have been banned, I mean they have gone :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a day to day basis we talk to people about the big and small things that affect us in our daily lves. Like the news, the soaps, the price of petrol, the government etc; we manage to have these conversations on a daily basis without resorting to fisticuffs in r/l..why is everything so intense on the internet?

Why do some threads have to descend into name-calling, finger-pointing and all round bullying sometimes when we tend to disagree?

It doesn't happen in r/l because we tend to observe the social niceties, but here? Are we really all that angry and disappointed?

I

Well let's be honest, the vast majority would never resort to names like "moron", "racist" "bigot" "nutter" "psycho" and all the other panoply of insults used on here, in real life, because whoever said them would be blasted into the middle of next week by the recipient.

That's the truth of it.
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    qixvix wrote: »

seriously, I come on here randomly - usually I am too busy with my RL - I find that some people are so stubborn and to be frank, a little weird that maybe this IS the only interaction that they have on a day to day basis - maybe they are silent in RL or even worse, just as obnoxious and therefore do not have real friends to talk to so this is their outlet

I am amazed when I see those who have inflexible thinking latch on to someone who has the same viewpoint and then they start chatting to each other as if they are in a 'gang' and as sad as that is on what is supposed to be an objective debate, it is not what this place is for them - rather it is a place where they get the positive strokes they do not receive in RL, so they take it personally, this is a little world for them, not just a topic of discussion, but where they 'save face' and try to impress others

I betcha if someone gathered all the data on the most frequent members they would fit the profile of someone who does not get out much

I would add to this, that some (not all) of the 'most popular' on GD may not be so popular outside of that Forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    On a day to day basis we talk to people about the big and small things that affect us in our daily lves. Like the news, the soaps, the price of petrol, the government etc; we manage to have these conversations on a daily basis without resorting to fisticuffs in r/l..why is everything so intense on the internet?

Why do some threads have to descend into name-calling, finger-pointing and all round bullying sometimes when we tend to disagree?

It doesn't happen in r/l because we tend to observe the social niceties, but here? Are we really all that angry and disappointed?

I

I doubt most of it's serious. Also, you're less likely to get your face bashed in calling someone a nincanpoop or stronger on the net than in r/l.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people's stupidity and lack of compassion grate on me. There have been times when I have chosen not to respond to certain posters so I don't get banned.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when you feel like yer head's about to explode just remember the wise words of the bee gees
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »

John Gabriel's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    qixvix wrote: »

Couldn't agree more! A quick look at the join date and post count normally tells you exactly how busy and popular a person really is.... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more! A quick look at the join date and post count normally tells you exactly how busy and popular a person really is.... :D

You're not kiddin, already decided once I hit 3k posts, you wont see my rse for dust. Will be way too embarrassing :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    You're not kiddin, already decided once I hit 3k posts, you wont see my rse for dust. Will be way too embarrassing :o

But in your case it's constant PMT .... right? :D
  • Options
    diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Some people's stupidity and lack of compassion grate on me. There have been times when I have chosen not to respond to certain posters so I don't get banned.

Lack of compassion and an inability to comprehend that everyone has different abilities to cope with life seems to be a trait that certain posters display with abandon. Some posters should just have a default post that pops up for their every single post that says
    I've coped with XY and Z and so should you, pull yourself together you miscreants :rolleyes:
    I tend to take the same approach as you jcafcw, best just leave them to their patronising cr@p. And some of these people work in the caring professions - so they say!