Options

Worst form of public transport...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use buses and trains a fair bit which can be cheaper than driving and sometimes more relaxing But the worst "transport" in my town is some bloke with a landrover who tows a landtrain type thing behind him. Takes 15-20 people in it who pay for the "privilage" to be towed though the town but as it is open to all weathers the exhaust fumes are in their faces. The contraption gets in the way and is total pain. By far the worst transport in the history of mankind!
  • Options
    Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I thought pretty well all the trains were accessible, what with the train door entrances being level with the platform heights, other than perhaps at mind the gap stations.

Whatever the situation, I hope things improve in the future, as I don't like steps, even though I'm not disabled myself.

Depends on your type of chair. Smaller wheels can get caught in the gap between platform and train, (this happened to me on the Alton Towers skytrain), plus I don't know if there are wheelchair spaces on the underground trains? Powerchairs are ok for staying steady when in motion, but a manual chair would want to be either secured in or with the back against something like they are on buses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Not in a million years would you find me catching a peasant wagon. Anyone who has to catch a bus beyond the age of 25 can officially consider themself a failure.

As for the drivers. Line them all up and shoot them. They're all so miserable we'd clearly be doing them a favour.

I'd hate to live in your town then.

Here the drivers are generally pleasant and helpful and the buses are pretty much clean, except sometimes during very busy times, where it's mainly copies of the Metro all over the place.

And what about those with medical problems who aren't allowed to drive (many forms of epilepsy for example), or those who work hard but simply cannot afford to run a car?. They all failures too?.

I have to agree with the other FM, you're a muppet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our local bus drivers from Western Greyhound are lovely. Always happy to help, take shopping off buses for the older folk etc. Same can't be said for the First drivers who would be quite happy to sit tapping their fingers whilst a 80 year old lady struggles off the bus with her shopping.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underground trains. I hate them with a passion and avoid at all costs.
    Overground trains are fine.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I agree about air travel. If I can drive there in under 10 hours, I'll do that before flying.. every time.
    But only, if like most of us you, have to travel cattle class. Now first class, that looks OK to me.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Not in a million years would you find me catching a peasant wagon. Anyone who has to catch a bus beyond the age of 25 can officially consider themself a failure.

As for the drivers. Line them all up and shoot them. They're all so miserable we'd clearly be doing them a favour.

i tried driving i had panic attacks when i started the engine I wouldn't be safe to drive

but the buses round my way are awful
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm 25 and I go on the bus sometimes because I can't navigate Newcastle's nightmare of a road system.

That said I hate buses, they smell bad, they're horrendously expensive and most of them are ancient; you can practically hear them breakdown (Yes I am talking about Arriva)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Buses. They're always packed and they always go down every obscure road. I always find it takes me longer to get somewhere by bus than it would in the car.
  • Options
    redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The number 40 bus in Glasgow is rank.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be grateful I don't drive because the temptation to kerb the car and run over t*ts like you would be too great to resist.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh look, David Cameron's joined DS
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I am getting to work faster than those in cars by using trains and buses :)

I wave at the poor car drivers as I fly past them in the bus lane whilst they are stuck in little jams ;)
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I find busses rather tedious and in general populated by chavvy teenagers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »
    I find busses rather tedious and in general populated by chavvy teenagers.

Like the little git I encountered today who would not move seats....
    Said he was chilling.....
    I said he could bliddy freeze for all I care. Shift! :D
    Met with a mouthfull of teenage abuse!
    Charming! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Buses. They're always packed and they always go down every obscure road. I always find it takes me longer to get somewhere by bus than it would in the car.

They're busy here during the rush hours, that's true, but outwith peak periods they are fine. However I agree, in rural areas especially they seem to go down every side street and round every estate, then reappear on the main roads almost back where they started.

As for them being quicker than cars, I think a lot of that depends on where you live once again. Getting around Edinburgh was definitely quicker by bus than car during busy times, but the bus lanes helped with that. Round here it's much quicker by car pretty much no matter where you go.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I like trains. At the times i tend to catch them they are pretty empty, they seem to be pretty clean, full of mainly quite business people/old people or just quiet non obtrusive people in general.
    Also it's pretty cheap for me as i have a railcard and can get away with buying child tickets if i forget it. :)
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind buses apart from bendy buses, I used to hate riding on the 207 in London, good descision by Boris to get rid of them.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like trains. At the times i tend to catch them they are pretty empty, they seem to be pretty clean, full of mainly quite business people/old people or just quiet non obtrusive people in general.
    Also it's pretty cheap for me as i have a railcard and can get away with buying child tickets if i forget it. :)

I've been so impressed with the trains, it's worth paying a little extra to get to work quicker and in comfort. For the distance I'm travelling I'm informed that I'm paying less than it would cost for petrol etc.

I would not say empty though, yes I get a seat but I've been so surprised at the amount of people travelling daily
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the tramp or the weirdo always sits next to me on the bus!!! WHY???!!!!!???? and the buses round here never run on time. Even when they are late they sit at the bus stop for more time so it makes you even later. Im surprised I havent ended up decking some of the drivers.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,643
    Forum Member
    People who claim the London Undergrouns is slick and reliable obviously don't use it on a daily basis.

It is chronically bogged down with "signal failures" and "defective trains". Even a the slightest delay causes the entire line you use to grind to a shuddering halt and of course causes huge overcrowding when a train finally pulls into the platform because there hasn't been one within the timeframe TFL claim a train should arrive in.

Seriously, I only use the Tube now out of necessity rather than out of choice.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I noticed a sign on the bus today saying that fares are going up, again. Going to be coughing up £11.00 a week for 3rd world public transport
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,053
    Forum Member
    Buses. But mostly for the crap service - there are no busses from the (large) village where I live to or from the nearest town - Loughborough (15 minutes away) after 8pm.

I can get to/from Nottingham until 11pm (and that's further away)

The Park & Ride in Nottingham is great - £2 for a car load, as opposed to the horrendous city centre parking charges
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on a bus on Tuesday and the B.O smell that hit you as you went in, was incredible. It was not long after the teenagers' home time, though. So maybe that explains it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    The worst form of public transport must be paper planes for circus dwarfs. You throw them and they just go round in circles and dive to the ground. Where I live they're installing a new cannon system for them.