Options

Tivo users - any feedback?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I'm not used to all these abreviations. If by SL you mean Series Link then I don't usually set series links. I tend to record one off programmes, and 2 clicks would be good but if you add padding, which I find I need to, then it's a few more clicks. Not as good as V+ as that had global padding.

I don't know anything about an original Tivo, I would expect that if it's new, at least for Virgin, then these sort of problems should have been ironed out.

I've recorded quite a few things over the weekend without adding any padding, mostly from BBC1. I thought I'd "trust" in it. Let's hope the endings of the programmes are there when I come to watch them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early days for me but so far am loving Tivo. Magic!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,752
    Forum Member
    I'm not used to all these abreviations. If by SL you mean Series Link then I don't usually set series links. I tend to record one off programmes, and 2 clicks would be good but if you add padding, which I find I need to, then it's a few more clicks.
    Yes, sorry. SL = Series Link :p

And, like I said, padding is, quite often, not needed, so two clicks is fine.
    Not as good as V+ as that had global padding.
    Oh absolutely :)
    I would expect that if it's new, at least for Virgin, then these sort of problems should have been ironed out.
    They will be ;)
    I've recorded quite a few things over the weekend without adding any padding, mostly from BBC1. I thought I'd "trust" in it. Let's hope the endings of the programmes are there when I come to watch them!
    Ironically, as I also said, BBC1, etc, are the ones that usually need the padding :D
  • Options
    passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Like removing the "flip-back" after fast-forwarding

I love that feature!
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Quick question for all you Tivo experts.

So, here I am going around the programme guides, giving loads of things the thumbs up and thumbs down, and I'm thinking what happens if my box breaks down and has to be replaced.

Do I lose all what I've setup or are my preferences backed up on a server somewhere ? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question for all you Tivo experts.

So, here I am going around the programme guides, giving loads of things the thumbs up and thumbs down, and I'm thinking what happens if my box breaks down and has to be replaced.

Do I lose all what I've setup or are my preferences backed up on a server somewhere ? :eek:

At the moment you do.

The Us tivo has a website that you can manage your series links on, so I assume you can use that as backup? Whishlists need adding to that and VM need to get that functionality IMHO.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/gettivoanywhere/howto_seasonpass-manager.html
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    passingbat wrote: »
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Like removing the [V+] "flip-back" after fast-forwarding

I love that feature!

Tivo made that redundant - the << & >> also slow down as well as speed up which is what V+ 'should've done
  • Options
    knackyknickknocknackyknickknoc Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Can't believe there is no universal padding .
    What a basic thing to forget about.
    Hope it's included by the time I get mine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's nice to have options (padding) but if i was programming then the options most used would be used as default settings next time

so it would just a case of

OK
    OK
    OK

unless you want to change the settings/defaults

but ultimately it should certainly be clever enough to drop padding for sequential recordings on same side - an oversight i would never have made
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    It's nice to have options (padding) but if i was programming then the options most used would be used as default settings next time

so it would just a case of

OK
    OK
    OK

unless you want to change the settings/defaults

but ultimately it should certainly be clever enough to drop padding for sequential recordings on same side - an oversight i would never have made
    I think it should remember the last used settings. I pretty much change 'Keep at most' to 'All episodes' and 'Keep Until' to 'Until I delete'. Currently, I have to go in and change them every time.

I don't set padding ATM for evening shows as there could be clashes when recordings are back to back on different channels on the same tuner.

Maybe it's because with Tivo, you have to have priorities (you can't have 'no priorities') that they didn't have a global padding option; wheather you use padding will depend on what's recording back to back on the same tuner, which isn't easy to figure out.

I think VM intend to add a global padding option, but I do worry that they won't make Tivo act like the V+ and drop padding when recordings are back to back on different channels on the same tuner.

I don't see more than a few people complaining about this. Maybe people don't understand that Tivo handles padding differently to the V+ or they think that because there are three recordable tuners, the problem won't happen very often, or at all?
  • Options
    WebstarblueWebstarblue Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Why couldnt they add the option of PDC my old VR bought about 12 years ago had it and it worked (as long as the station transmitted from their end)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I dont understand why you would need series link anyway as if its in your wish list it will record the series anyway??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

I'm loving radio catch up on the BBC App

Also, live pause and frame per frame, live pause

Picture is excellent, normal definition, or high.

Series Link represents a small learning curve.

Disappointed that it doesn't make BBC 'comedies' funny

Youtube App is excellent- picture quality is not distracting

Like 'favourites' being called up by 'OK' button

Make three recordings that clash- box records all three but you have to watch one of them.

Recording folders seem a bit basic- a little index heavy- prefer some graphic interface.

Box is whisper quiet- haven't heard it yet.

No slow downs around Twelve o'clock

Box is a third smaller than V +

The remote control is great for bear hands- intuitively positioned buttons

The build quality on the box, and the remote control, is exceptional.

Padding issues haven't been detected yet.

The Tivo requires a little trust- its automated processes are far in advance of the steam driven V+

In addition- the sound is far superior to the V+- the latter had muffling problems- not so the Tivo
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The remote is the thing thats driving me up the wall the most.

We have a glass coffee table between us and the telly and the stupid TiVo remote 9/10 times refuses to work unless we hold it above the damn coffee table.

V+ remote was perfectly fine as is my amp and telly remote :mad:

Other than that its fine :D
  • Options
    Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Make three recordings that clash- box records all three but you have to watch one of them.

On Sky+HD boxes you can only record 2 things at once and if you want to watch live tv you would have to watch one of the things you're recording. What we do is.

A-Watching something of Anytime.
    B-Watch a previously recorded programme.

I would imagine its the same for you guys on TIVO/V+.
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had my Tivo for a week now and I must say it's worked flawlessly so far (touch wood) I've recorded 3 things and watched something previously recorded and it took it in it's stride, EPG was fully updated within 4 or 5 hours of it being installed, the suggestions are 90% of the time right on the mark of things I like.

It actually introduced me to a series I'd never heard of but decided to record after I watched an episode.

I like adding the padding to each series individually as it lets you cater to the BBC etc separately from the sky channels, but universal padding should be an option.

PQ looks absolutely fine on my 47" screen on both SD and HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark125 wrote: »
    On Sky+HD boxes you can only record 2 things at once and if you want to watch live tv you would have to watch one of the things you're recording. What we do is.

I recorded Justified- Gray's Anatomy and Fringe last night.

When the time came- the box changed channels to Justified.

I watched it- but still had a recorded copy afterwards, of all three.

I wasn't able to change channels- unless I stopped a recording.

I didn't test the -'watch a previous recording whilst recording three new programs' theory.

It's quite a marvel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark125 wrote: »

Sort of - except Tivo has 3 recording tuners where Sky have 2 recording tuners
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't test the -'watch a previous recording whilst recording three new programs' theory.

It's not a 'theory', it is a reality. I do it all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    It's not a 'theory', it is a reality. I do it all the time.

It's not yet my 'reality', so- it remains an untested theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not yet my 'reality', so- it remains an untested theory.

Clearly, you have trust issues :D

Recording three shows and watching a previously recorded one works for me as well (just so you know :D)
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Recording three shows and watching a previously recorded one works for me as well (just so you know :D)

He obviously thinks that all functions of all equipment are only theories until he personally proves that they exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A Virgin customer with trust issues?

Yep- that's a rare bird, indeed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    He obviously thinks that all functions of all equipment are only theories until he personally proves that they exist.

All function is theory until you test them- and find out if they work.

Software glitches- factory faults.

One works, ergo- it's a universal truth and all work.

Or take function as truth and slavishly reject personal investigation.

I like Tivo- but I wouldn't police the forum in order to correct opinion- surely, that communicates a profound sadness, and loss of a life?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The remote is the thing thats driving me up the wall the most.

We have a glass coffee table between us and the telly and the stupid TiVo remote 9/10 times refuses to work unless we hold it above the damn coffee table.

V+ remote was perfectly fine as is my amp and telly remote :mad:

Other than that its fine :D

Yeah stupid remote. Not your fault that you put a table between your seating position and the TiVo box then!:confused: