Options

Do you think the 2000's are bland and boring compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Comments

• Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    That's one of my favourites!

I love naff films like Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club too.

Conversely, whilst it's considered 'cool' to like the Godfather trilogy (from the 70s), they bored me rigid.

maybe it's a 'time of life' thing because those films look quite dated and of their era now, whereas the godfather has appeal beyond the 70's

[saw it in the 80s and thought it was amazing!]

lotr [noughties trilogy] will probably still appeal in a few decades time too.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the 70s was a good time to be a child. A time of new cultural freedom and technological expansion, good stuff on TV and good music.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can safely say. As someone from a mixed racial family... This decade is a lot better in terms of tolerance compared to the 80s and 90s (and even earlier).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I was born in the late 80's but i personally miss the 90's, there's just way too much drama these days in the world. Of course I'm not saying it was perfect back then but nothing ever is but i remember it as being a far simpler time and a lot nicer era growing up as a child than i feel it would be now.

Plus when i think of the 90's i always remember the 'Fresh prince of Bel-Air' brings a smile to my face every time :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the 70s was a good time to be a child. A time of new cultural freedom and technological expansion, good stuff on TV and good music.

A good time to be a teenager but not a child (e.g. 1 to 12).
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why (I was one to ten in the 70s, and enjoyed it)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why (I was one to ten in the 70s, and enjoyed it)?

I was thinking that most of the things that affected us in the 70s were mainly things that affect teenagers rather than children.

A lot of the 80s stuff children could also do. But I might be wrong.
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was 0 to 7 in the 70's and I enjoyed it from what I can remember. Great times!

Though I would have liked to experienced the mid-late 70's as teenager though. Especially around 1976-1978 and the disco and Saturday Night Fever era, and then the start of the Punk era. Going out to nightclubs and dating girls back then!

I have vagueish memories of the Heatwave of '76. Amazing times! Real charm and charactor back in those years.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Gosh... where to start?

The godfather 1&1.
    French Connection.
    Jaws.
    The Exorcist.
    A Clockwork Orange.
    Apocalypse Now.
    China Town.
    Manhattan.
    Rocky.
    Network.
    Taxi Driver
    Mean Streets
    Dog Day Afternoon
    Halloween
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Kramer vs. Kramer
    Star Wars: a new hope
    Close Encounters
    Alien

Kramer vs Kramer has to be one of the saddest films I've ever seen :( I didn't realise it was a 70s film. Good choice.

Jaws & Halloween are two of the best films ever made in the horror genre.

But there's nothing else on that list I enjoyed.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids are now completely besotted by social networking and manufactured bands off TV 'talent' shows - they know no better but still enjoy themselves, so I guess it's all relative
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem I have with films today is that with all the high tech visual effects, they look more like computer games. I don't enjoy the Harry Potter films much because of this. I feel like I get to know the characters much better via the books where special effects don't take over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    70s-80s we had skinheads, hippies, punks, new romantics, goths, two tones but now what have we got apart from Chavs?
    Everybody in the media goes on about how terrible the fashions and music were in the '70s but now look at it. Where's all the real talent from people who worked hard for years to hit the big time and where's all the colour and individuality in bands gone? Now people think the only way to get famous is to shag a footballer or win some big televised talent or reality tv show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Though I would have liked to experienced the mid-late 70's as teenager though. Especially around 1976-1978 and the disco and Saturday Night Fever era, and then the start of the Punk era. Going out to nightclubs and dating girls back then!

That's what I mean though, by being a teen or older during the 70s.

I did that sort of thing during the 80s which was a slightly different experience. Especially when Aids happened around the mid 80s.

It was definitely a different experience (I would have thought) being sexual in the 70s compared to the mid 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kids are now completely besotted by social networking and manufactured bands off TV 'talent' shows - they know no better but still enjoy themselves, so I guess it's all relative

Yes but the 70s was also the rise of talent shows and boy bands. Bay City Rollers and Showaddywaddy etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haruhion wrote: »

If anyone needs to open their mind and expand their thoughts rather than jump to conclusions, it may well be you.

Erm, don't see what you are getting at.

We remember the best of past decades and conveniently forget the worst.

Like most youtube posers who keep saying they wish they were alive in such and such decade when 'music was great' they don't realise that charts were full of absolute claptrap and the bands that were any good are the ones that are remembered.

The same will happen for this era, but feel free to tell me to keep an open mind while bandying around the tired sentiments of someone calcifying into their cultural conservatism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The main comics at the time (Dandy, Beano, Topper, Beezer, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee and Buster) were great but the vast majority of them have died leaving 2000AD and have you seen what they've done to the Dandy and Beano? And then have you seen the shite kids call Saturday morning/ Cartoon network cartoons now?

Put 'em in front of an 80s-early 90s television and make them watch videos of
    Ulyeses 31
    Battle Of The Planets
    Masters of The Universe
    Mysterious Cities of Gold
    Dogtanian
    Grange Hill (couldn't miss this out could I?)
    Made In Britain (the skinhead in it's a seriously ****ed up shit)
    The Young Ones
    Then put them in front of an old Atari VCS or the ones made by Phillips and Coleco, an 8-bit tape based computer with a basic joystick. If they want to make their own music lists, give 'em some CDS, vynyl records, a hi-fi and some
    C90 tapes and a pencil and let them experience living history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    The main comics at the time (Dandy, Beano, Topper, Beezer, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee and Buster) were great but the vast majority of them have died leaving 2000AD and have you seen what they've done to the Dandy and Beano? And then have you seen the shite kids call Saturday morning/ Cartoon network cartoons now?

Put 'em in front of an 80s-early 90s television and make them watch videos of
    Ulyeses 31
    Battle Of The Planets
    Masters of The Universe
    Mysterious Cities of Gold
    Dogtanian
    Grange Hill (couldn't miss this out could I?)
    Made In Britain (the skinhead in it's a seriously ****ed up shit)
    The Young Ones
    Then put them in front of an old Atari VCS or the ones made by Phillips and Coleco, an 8-bit tape based computer with a basic joystick. If they want to make their own music lists, give 'em some CDS, vynyl records, a hi-fi and some
    C90 tapes and a pencil and let them experience living history.

I remembered that a little too fondly, I managed to download it and can't believe how rubbish it actually is. I fear there is a little too much rosy sepia when we remember our childhood passions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah dogtanian

so bad it was good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remembered that a little too fondly, I managed to download it and can't believe how rubbish it actually is. I fear there is a little too much rosy sepia when we remember our childhood passions.

I think that applies to cartoons but not 80s sitcoms, scifi, action or films.

Most of the cartoons seem so dated now in comparison to how the other TV show types have fared.
  • Options
    Doubting ThomasDoubting Thomas Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    The 00s were ok but I much prefered the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    ah dogtanian

so bad it was good!

That and Around the World with Willy Fog were must watch children's tv. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that applies to cartoons but not 80s sitcoms, scifi, action or films.

Most of the cartoons seem so dated now in comparison to how the other TV show types have fared.

On 80s action/sci-fi films I'd agree, that's partly down to the unyielding 'reboots' the big producers seem to love now. Still you remember the good ones and forget the rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That and Around the World with Willy Fog were must watch children's tv. :)

i don't recall that as a kids tv one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, don't see what you are getting at.

We remember the best of past decades and conveniently forget the worst.

Like most youtube posers who keep saying they wish they were alive in such and such decade when 'music was great' they don't realise that charts were full of absolute claptrap and the bands that were any good are the ones that are remembered.

The same will happen for this era, but feel free to tell me to keep an open mind while bandying around the tired sentiments of someone calcifying into their cultural conservatism.

Whatever you had said towards the end there has gone over my head, twice. I know the point you're trying to make, I think; but I don't feel it is valid to what I'm addressing here. It's just the way you perceived to see a decade as solely what a group of people think of one sole genre of the music playing. The moment you mentioned YouTube, I thought, hmm this decade has done well in terms of technology, but from what I had quoted, it had seemed to be the concentrate of what a negative group had said about one genre making the music of the entire decade. Surely it is a bit bigger than that.
  • Options
    farmhandfarmhand Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sentimentalism is a disgusting and disgraceful emotion/thought pattern, unusually common among drunks, druggies and "romantics" who have lost their looks.

Was Amy Whitehouse's life, music and story really "bland" and "boring" compared to, say, Slade, Lionel Richie or Duran Duran? Of course not.

There can be no rational debate that music was of higher quality from that period, but in terms of life being boring and bland, surely the problem is the diametric opposite. Kids today are overwhelmed with too much stuff with content...not too little... making sense of none.