Options

Walking out/switching off

Comments

• Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Turned off Shutter Island. Such a slow build up and it couldn't hold my attention.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Would never walk out of the cinema early no matter how crap the film is. I`ve paid for it so i stay until the end.

You see, I'd look at that from a different point of view. My time is worth more to me than money - and if I could spend that time enjoying myself rather than waste it not enjoying myself, I would choose the first option every time.

Staying to watch a film which is shit is just rubbing salt in the wounds - not only have you spent good money to get in and watch it, but then you are causing more misery on yourself by staying to watch it when you could at least go and do something more enjoyable - therefore making sure that your time - as well as the money - wasn't completely wasted.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see, I'd look at that from a different point of view. My time is worth more to me than money - and if I could spend that time enjoying myself rather than waste it not enjoying myself, I would choose the first option every time.

Staying to watch a film which is shit is just rubbing salt in the wounds - not only have you spent good money to get in and watch it, but then you are causing more misery on yourself by staying to watch it when you could at least go and do something more enjoyable - therefore making sure that your time - as well as the money - wasn't completely wasted.

Thankfully i`ve never seen a film bad enough to make me want to walk out.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See I understand this view point, but I think I would still waste that time even if I walked out, I mean I had planned on sitting through the film so I have no other plans so that would mean I would probably drive home and sit around and have a drink. I waste lots of my time so what is another 90 minutes in the grand scheme of things, what I don't seem to squander and waste is my money :D
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were a couple I've recently switched off -
    Watchmen
    Deep Red
    Tenebrae
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys don't cry I brought on dvd got half hour in and decided to take it back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Never walked out of a cinema (yet), but i came extremely close with M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water. Awful, awful film.

I've turned quite a few films off on TV before though (Wild At Heart and The Birdcage spring to mind), i rarely do it, but some of them just push my patience too far. The most recent being Grown Ups which was just atrocious. I struggled to the 40 minute mark and hadn't laughed once. Rob Schneider didn't help matters by being his usual irritating self.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have walked out of the cinema once - The Talented Mr Ripley

I'm gobsmacked! I found that a gripping film!
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Never walked out of a cinema (yet), but i came extremely close with M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water. Awful, awful film.

I've turned quite a few films off on TV before though (Wild At Heart and The Birdcage spring to mind), i rarely do it, but some of them just push my patience too far. The most recent being Grown Ups which was just atrocious. I struggled to the 40 minute mark and hadn't laughed once. Rob Schneider didn't help matters by being his usual irritating self.

I totally agree with switching off The Birdcage.I think I got through about 15 minutes of that,and also Ace Ventura 2.Those were films I taped off the tv though.It's always so much easier to give up on films which you didn't have to shell out hard earned cash on.The only dvd I remember giving the boot to was Irreversible.I got through about 30 or 40 minutes of that,with the inclusion of fast forwarding even a great deal of that.It was one of the nastiest,horrific,most disgusting and unwatchable films I have ever seen.I couldn't imagine that any of the 'video nasties' they banned in the 80's could be any more heinous than this film.

I Absolutely love Wild At Heart though! And yes,everything involving Rob Schneider should be shot int space and nuked...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I Absolutely love Wild At Heart though!

To be fair to the film, i was about 12 when i tried to watch it, so maybe it just went over my head. David Lynch films aren't really aimed at 12 year olds, lol. I might give it another shot one day if i see it on Sky or something.
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »
    I'll dive for cover after saying this but...

Twilight. Gave up after about ten minutes. Wasn't for me :)

I fell asleep watching this for the first time at a friends house -and I'm part of the supposed "target audience" :eek::D
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny English - Walked out of the cinema about an hour in, and we wern't the only ones. It was truly terrible.

Surviving Christmas - A comedy with very little comedy. Worst £3 DVD I've ever bought.

The Godfather Part II - As tedious as the first part, I managed about 30 mins in before stopping the DVD.

These are all that spring to mind at the moment, but there are more.
  • Options
    WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suckerpunch - turned it off after about 20 minutes, just didn't get it at all.

The Happening - Seriously, who honestly thought this would be a good film?
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an 'arthouse' film once called something like 'Life is cheap but toilet paper is expensive'. Walked out of that, as it was rubbish.....

EDIT: Ah yes, it's coming back to me now....http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,318098,00.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one time I walked out I just went into another screen. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one time I walked out I just went into another screen. :o

When I walked out of The Tree Of Life I went into Larry Crowne and watched that instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I borrowed Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on video. From the time I left the shop with the film to returning it was 45 minutes. I saw about 7 minutes of the film and switched it off and took it back.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell asleep watching this for the first time at a friends house -and I'm part of the supposed "target audience" :eek::D

Yeah same here. It strikes me that they're relying too much on who is playing the lead male character to carry the films. I quite liked the books but the film, for me, was amateurish. :o
  • Options
    Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I've walked out the cinema was during Basic Instinct. I wasn't feeling particularly great anyway and just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. I've never yet seen the end.

I've switched off loads of dvds but the one I remember mostly was Mama Mia. I sat through 17 painful minutes and if it hadn't belonged to a friend of mine I'd have snapped it in 2.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fell asleep during Twilight. A couple of days later my friend put on New Moon and I had to leave the room. It was actually making me cringe.

Walked out during a movie called The Martins, a comedy starring Lee Evans. It was soooooo bad.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only film I've walked out of at the cinema was Commando. Terrible.I haven't seen a Schwarzenegger film at the cinema since.

The last DVD I switched off was Ghost Rider. I just didn't care what happened in the end.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver and shrooms

watched both in four 20 minute bursts over 7 days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to the cinema over a 100 times but never walked out in boredom (although I did leave Spider-man 2 a few minutes early as I had to be somewhere...which annoyed me). Tickets cost a stupid amount of money so it makes sense to stay to the end - and I say that having sat through Batman & Robin.

Even on TV, I tend to see things out to the bitter end even if I'm not enjoying it. Although I seem to recall switching off 25th Hour, Gamer and Rachel Got Married out of sheer boredom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned off Pathology after around 50 minutes. It's just a boring, badly-filmed montage of drug use, sex, swearing and gore. Not that I have any problem with those elements in other movies, but this really was terrible. There were a lot of scenes shot in the dark too.
    The last DVD I switched off during the film was Bad Lieutenant. There have been a number where I wanted to stop watching but kept hoping it would get better, the most recent one being Bridesmaids, didn't find it funny in the slightest and was just very boring.

You're probably the only other person I've ever known of who didn't like Bridesmaids. I didn't really think it was boring, just not very funny. I'd rather watch Hall Pass or The Dilemma again, and those are two of the worst movies I've seen at the cinema this year!
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never left the cinema, nor do I often turn a movie off - the most recent film I remember giving up on was Transformers 2. Even though it wasn't a good film, the fact that I was watching a borrowed pirate copy might have contributed somewhat to me abandoning it after about 1hr.