Options

Is Blu-Ray finally but slowly kicking in?

Comments

• Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    dvds used to be £19.99!!!!!!!!!! then prices dropped
    And that price drop was, like, totally a symptom of their declining popularity, innit? I mean, just look how these bargain priced DVDs are losing ground to BluRay, so Geordielady was totally rig... errr, waitaminnit. :)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that price drop was, like, totally a symptom of their declining popularity, innit? I mean, just look how these bargain priced DVDs are losing ground to BluRay, so Geordielady was totally rig... errr, waitaminnit. :)

lol:D get the blu ray gravestone ready
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Porkpie, not sure about you but my year last 12 months, that other user claimed I said it last year (2010) and the year before (2009):eek:

And you call me trolling, but lets correct your drivel...

I said earlier this year that big changes will happen in the blu ray market sometime next year AKA 2012 we are not there yet so this remains in limbo for now.
    I also said cheaper single plays and the phazing out of DP/TP would happen in this period. As it stands we now are getting cheaper SP actually a lot earlier then even I predicted:p
    So lets get my prediction right shall we, sometime next year DP/TP will start to be phazed out and the cheap SP will be the norm, you wait and see.

I made simple mistake I admit that but you just been compeltly proofed wrong by that thread linked to above go back and read the shite you posted Its same stuff your posting now.

It is fact that you have been totally wrong. its a fact you've been totally proofed wrong throughout every augment you've had on this board, its a fact that not single person seems to agree with you accept from so called friends.

Your augment is not backed up by single thread of evidence, you've lied on many occasion.

I will happily come back here on January the 1st 2012 oh wait I don't need to all you need to do is look at the upcoming releases going into next and your again proofed wrong.

Will finally admit your wrong come 2012 ? Or will it be instead happening 2013 ?
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its easy to make the mistake that GL was saying the same in 2009 as it really does seem that long since she started banging on about it.
    And I've only been a member for a short time.

In the US they are also increasing the number of BD/dvd packs with classic horror movies like Vampire Circus and Horror Express coming out aswell as the usual blockbuster fare.

Likewise here with Hammers Quatermass and the Pit and the BFI Bluray catalogue
  • Options
    MacclesMaccles Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I miss the days when a selection of formats where available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    I made simple mistake I admit that

But it wasn't a simple mistake, it was a crtical mistake that changed the whole perspective of everything.
    As I said we are already seeing lots of cheaper SP blu rays now and we are not even into 2012 yet which is the year I predicted the big changes would happen.
    I dont think there are as many DP around anymore, 6 months ago supermarkets use to be full of them now there is less.
    I still predict at some stage next year DP/TP will be phased out, its not gonna happen over night but it will happen slowly next year resulting in the majority of blu rays sold being SP at around the tenner mark. This is the right way to go and will see blu ray really take off.

The only DP that I see as having some value are the disney ones where the kids can watch the DVD'S in their own rooms, other DP movies to me just seem so pointless and only a minorIty beneift from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it wasn't a simple mistake, it was a crtical mistake that changed the whole perspective of everything.
    As I said we are already seeing lots of cheaper SP blu rays now and we are not even into 2012 yet which is the year I predicted the big changes would happen.
    I dont think there are as many DP around anymore, 6 months ago supermarkets use to be full of them now there is less.
    I still predict at some stage next year DP/TP will be phased out, its not gonna happen over night but it will happen slowly next year resulting in the majority of blu rays sold being SP at around the tenner mark. This is the right way to go and will see blu ray really take off.

The only DP that I see as having some value are the disney ones where the kids can watch the DVD'S in their own rooms, other DP movies to me just seem so pointless and only a minorIty beneift from them.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1398500&page=5

read for god sake you said it would happen this year it did not you have no evidence to suggest it will happen next year just as you had no evidence it 2010. Release dates show the publisher who publish TP/DP have no plans on stopping. That is all proof there that your augment is floored. Unless you can show a publisher who plans on stopping selling them.

Now I give for now I be back next year and I'm sure you will present the same bull then.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is no doubt that Blu Ray is here to stay and is no flash in the pan ... in my smallish town both Tesco and Asda have increased their storage/display space greatly for Blu Ray in the last year and even our Asda are now offering a healthy selection of Blu Ray as part of their online home delivery service.

Believe it or not the VHS die hards said the same thing about DVD's during their transition!

Anyway, Play have just informed me my Jurassic Park boxset has been despatched, with a bit of luck it will be here for the weekend ahead of its official release on Monday ;)
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katana1000 wrote: »

Anyway, Play have just informed me my Jurassic Park boxset has been despatched, with a bit of luck it will be here for the weekend ahead of its official release on Monday ;)

You'll be lucky. Unless you live in London or the Home Counties, expect to wait 5 days from the date of despatch with Play.
  • Options
    Golden Brown123Golden Brown123 Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for those who believe that there is little or no difference between DVD and Blu-Ray. It's mainly those who can't aford it that complain.

Blu-ray is the future, live with it. Some people just can't stand advancements in technology and they're so cool in saying that they won't be upgrading to Blu-ray. The fact is DVD is prehistoric. High Definition is the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be lucky. Unless you live in London or the Home Counties, expect to wait 5 days from the date of despatch with Play.

I dunno, been buying from Play for years and often get a release on or just before release day, going by their post notification of this morning then a delivery by Saturday is on the cards again ... Play have had bad periods of service in the past but seem to be picking up again (heard they have recently been bought out BTW) I use Amazon too and their delivery times recently have been worse than Play, My Manhunter Blu took quite a while to arrive and even for them to post after placing my order.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for those who believe that there is little or no difference between DVD and Blu-Ray. It's mainly those who can't aford it that complain.

Blu-ray is the future, live with it. Some people just can't stand advancements in technology and they're so cool in saying that they won't be upgrading to Blu-ray. The fact is DVD is prehistoric. High Definition is the future.

But DVD was the future - 12 years ago. You would not believe the wow factor back then. Seeing such clarity on a disc was amazing. I joined the DVD club, read the reviews, splashed the cash. Now there is another new thing and whilst it may be amazing I have run out of enthusiam to keep chasing the latest craze.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    But DVD was the future - 12 years ago. You would not believe the wow factor back then. Seeing such clarity on a disc was amazing. I joined the DVD club, read the reviews, splashed the cash. Now there is another new thing and whilst it may be amazing I have run out of enthusiam to keep chasing the latest craze.

That was 12 years ago. It's not like upating your iPod every few years. I'm sure Blur-ray will last at least another 5 years or so. The next big thing is probably 'super hi-def' and that'll only be available by 2020 at the earliest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you on the most part, however there are one or two bad Blu Ray releases where the difference over DVD is very hard to see, Highlander was one such release IMHO.

Often the studios don't put their all into a Blu Ray release and just upscale from the DVD version ... these instances are in the minority though.

The popular Blu Ray tier system is a good way to check for Blu Ray quality, with Tier 0 (Blue) being the best picture quality and then descending, these are voted for independently and not one persons opinion, so its a pretty fair guide :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was 12 years ago. It's not like upating your iPod every few years. I'm sure Blur-ray will last at least another 5 years or so. The next big thing is probably 'super hi-def' and that'll only be available by 2020 at the earliest.

Blu ray can already do higher resolutions. There's also higher capacity disc being made. So really there is no need in a new format for quad HD.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member

Blur-ray - I like that:p

I agree in part - but it would have been good to give Blu-ray players (well a couple of models at least) a SCART socket so they would be compatable with all TV's. No excuse not to buy one then!
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

I agree in part - but it would have been good to give Blu-ray players (well a couple of models at least) a SCART socket so they would be compatable with all TV's. No excuse not to buy one then!

And how much confusion would that cause as yes it may be fine for DVD playback, but I can just picture it now with some buying Blu Rays only to find they will not show on their CRT screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's only a matter of time before the DVD lovers pounce on me for that typo :D
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,254
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    And how much confusion would that cause as yes it may be fine for DVD playback, but I can just picture it now with some buying Blu Rays only to find they will not show on their CRT screen.

The output could easily be downconverted to standard resolution for Scart users. Then later, when they've replaced their existing TV set with a new one, they could use the HDMI output to access the full resolution.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccles wrote: »
    I miss the days when a selection of formats where available.
    So you were a Betamax machine owner then! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    So you were a Betamax machine owner then! :D

Betamax was supposedly a technically superior product to VHS, go figure.

Back to now though, kinda glad Blu Ray won the HD wars over HD discs, its IMHO better if we have the single format, studios were split at the beginning with some releasing on HD and some on Blu Ray and this really held back releases, they are coming fast and furious on Blu now though compared to a year or so ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is no doubt that Blu Ray is here to stay and is no flash in the pan ... in my smallish town both Tesco and Asda have increased their storage/display space greatly for Blu Ray in the last year and even our Asda are now offering a healthy selection of Blu Ray as part of their online home delivery service.
    Believe it or not the VHS die hards said the same thing about DVD's during their transition!

Not sre if you mean asda online in your post above but if you are they are selling only a fraction of what they use to sell since they closed their asda entertainement website.
    Asda's blu ray selection online is now pityful, even their customer service support team think so as well. :)
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sre if you mean asda online in your post above but if you are they are selling only a fraction of what they use to sell since they closed their asda entertainement website.
    Asda's blu ray selection online is now pityful, even their customer service support team think so as well. :)

My ASDA selection is great.
    How do you know their customer service support team think the selection is pitiful?
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betamax was supposedly a technically superior product to VHS, go figure.

It was . However , both analogue tape formats were basically crap from day one so the difference was not worth worrying about - it was the best we had in the 80's

It did nothing of the kind.
    He said you had predicted the end of DP/TP in 2010 and also in 2009.
    As I said , its easy to think you've been whinging on about it since then because you go on about it so much .
    Just because he added 2009 makes no difference.

My links earlier on show you were saying the same almost a year ago and the opposite has happened.

Why do you think so many are taking the piss out of you:
    because you post nonsense and even in the face of hard evidence that proves you are wrong you just keep going on about it .
    If you offered something more than you and your friends opinion your posts might have some merit but you don't and when asked for some you go off on an unrelated tangent.

DP/TP are increasing. They drive sales. Live with it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    My ASDA selection is great.]How do you know their customer service support team think the selection is pitiful?

So you have your own ASDA online website that gives you a bigger blu ray selection then everyone else. :rolleyes:

I know what ASDA support think as they told me when I spoke to them. :)

I think the demise of asda online for blu rays e.t.c deserves its own discussion thread actually.