jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    There is no smoke without fire.

He was a bit of a non-entity anyway.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was never a non-entity. he was a big part of Saturday night tv for 70s kids and TOTP was a big part of growing up in the 70s too and there is no smoke only rumours....A photo of him is not smoke, in was used as accusation, to imply he was involved in some unspeakable crime. Nothing else but one photo. The oddball worked well for his image, it meant he could be flamboyant and wearing odd clothes. This is a beautifully written piece, which explains his relationship with Prince Charles..one that he never, ever publicised, he never sold them out for money.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055195/Jimmy-Savile-dead-Rolls-bank-notes-shell-suit-wore-oddness-badge.html
  • Options
    JTGEJTGE Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As FBI has said several times, its clear that there have been only rumours lacking any foundation. I didn't care for him and yes, I found him a bit creepy, but might not have if I'd actually met him. And I have no doubt he had a difficult personality that would tend to get in the way of close relationships to some extent or other. Clever bloke though, and made his life a very worthwhile one.

Makes me laugh that even on this one thread the rumours include children, youths, teenage girls, women and corpses.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of examples if you go on the internet and I am not getting into an argument over this as you want me to do .. there are no examples as he took a permanent injunction out for the rest of his life . the examples I do have I have been in his company many times at the Flying Pizza in Leeds and also at charity do's in Leeds and I am not prepared to say at this moment in time anything else other than people are very naive.

Aye, right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FBI wrote: »
    Good post. Savile's lawyers took action against the Sun - a truly disgusting publication - because they were using innuendo and no evidence to malign his character.

Don't forget he worked at Broadmoor with some of the sickest men in the country, he has seen some terrible things and kept sane himself. I have read about his relationship with Prince Charles and Princess Diana, it was because they trusted him and he never, ever talk to anyone about it. He must have been an amazing people person for that job and to not be judgemental which is what The Sun encourages. He was rich but not a capitalist he gave it away in a time of greed. I also remember he did a tv series on how to prevent children from have accidents in the home, based on what he saw in his work in a children's hospital.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was aware of no Biggins rumours.

Re-read my post.
    Then read the last line again. ;)
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Are you age 21 or so? He was one of the most famous people on radio or tv since their inception. Also everyone under 50 remembers 'clunk, cliip every trip.'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Jim glad you fixed it for us to know you. now then now then
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There have been people on TV who I just don't take to at all - that is from the minute I see them. Quite literally. When I've said anything to friends or family they just say "oh you're just a boring old **** - everybody loves him" or something similar. :rolleyes:

However, time after time I've been proved right. People who made my flesh creep were Jonathan King, Michael Barrymore, Christopher Biggins, Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and a few others.

That's all I'm saying.

What about

Kenneth Williams
    Larry Grayson
    Wilfrid Brambell
    Charles Hawtrey
    Benny Hill
    Frankie Howerd

Were any of those 'People who made your flesh creep'
  • Options
    lectorlector Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Good god a whole groundbreaking career dismissed.

I couldn't think of anyone who could be least described as a nonentity. Also nice to hear a four year old interview on the radio last night with Sir Jim saying he and Louis T had become good friends after the program me.

RIP Jim, gone but never forgotten.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    lector wrote: »
    Good god a whole groundbreaking career dismissed.

I couldn't think of anyone who could be least described as a nonentity. Also nice to hear a four year old interview on the radio last night with Sir Jim saying he and Louis T had become good friends after the program me.

RIP Jim, gone but never forgotten.
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Are you age 21 or so? He was one of the most famous people on radio or tv since their inception. Also everyone under 50 remembers 'clunk, cliip every trip.'

Just found him a bit creepy and I'm aged 47 FYI.

YMMV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember people saying that Larry Grayson was a bit creepy too. I was too young too understand why then. I prefered him to Brucie or Jim Davidson on The Generation Game who were straight and sexiest.

Jimmy Savile cultivated that odd image, because people didn't understand a man dressing like he did, they found him creepy.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about

Kenneth Williams
    Larry Grayson
    Wilfrid Brambell
    Charles Hawtrey
    Benny Hill
    Frankie Howerd

If they're saying what I think they're saying, that's nasty!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Sir Jimmy was a great charity fundraiser. BTW have you seen this video of him dancing!? You've never seen anyone dance like this before! RIP Sir Jimmy -> http://youtu.be/g9FZB6OnrzY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Jimmy was a great charity fundraiser. BTW have you seen this video of him dancing!? You've never seen anyone dance like this before! RIP Sir Jimmy -> http://youtu.be/g9FZB6OnrzY

It looks like he wasn't bothered about showing his very bad dancing style. :D
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy had a papal knighthood and a strong connection with the Royal Family, therefore if there are any skeletons in his closet they would be firmly hidden from view. If there's any truth to the Jersey thing then it will NEVER come out.

On a more positive note, his charity work is LEGENDARY! He dedicated much of his life to helping others. Whether this was part of some kind of deal to secure silence over his more unsavoury activities (much like the McCanns being saved from being thrown to the wolves as long as they do x, y and z for the rest of their lives) we'll never know.
  • Options
    halstationhalstation Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    I remember people saying that Larry Grayson was a bit creepy too. I was too young too understand why then. I prefered him to Brucie or Jim Davidson on The Generation Game who were straight and sexiest.

Jimmy Savile cultivated that odd image, because people didn't understand a man dressing like he did, they found him creepy.

Brucie and Jim Davidson sexy? Each to their own I guess.:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy had a papal knighthood and a strong connection with the Royal Family, therefore if there are any skeletons in his closet they would be firmly hidden from view. If there's any truth to the Jersey thing then it will NEVER come out.

On a more positive note, his charity work is LEGENDARY! He dedicated much of his life to helping others. Whether this was part of some kind of deal to secure silence over his more unsavoury activities (much like the McCanns being saved from being thrown to the wolves as long as they do x, y and z for the rest of their lives) we'll never know.

The Roman Catholic church is not the best place to get a reference from but I am sure if someone could have dug up some dirt on him then someone in the gutter press would have published it. As far as I can see here and elsewhere, everyone who had contact with him or knew him personally has only praise for him.

I don't understand why the McCanns have to brought into it unless you believe some of the garbage that those same newspapers printed about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Roman Catholic church is not the best place to get a reference from but I am sure if someone could have dug up some dirt on him then someone in the gutter press would have published it. As far as I can see here and elsewhere, everyone who had contact with him or knew him personally has only praise for him.

I don't understand why the McCanns have to brought into it unless you believe some of the garbage that those same newspapers printed about them.

If Jimmy Savile hasn't done what's been rumoured, then these rumours are disgusting! I hope he was as good as he came across on TV.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about

Kenneth Williams
    Larry Grayson
    Wilfrid Brambell
    Charles Hawtrey
    Benny Hill
    Frankie Howerd

No - none of them.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jim'll Fix It was before my time although I have heard of it. RIP Jimmy :(
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about

Kenneth Williams
    Larry Grayson
    Wilfrid Brambell
    Charles Hawtrey
    Benny Hill
    Frankie Howerd

Why include Benny Hill in a list consisting otherwise of gays?
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about

Kenneth Williams
    Larry Grayson
    Wilfrid Brambell
    Charles Hawtrey
    Benny Hill
    Frankie Howerd

Wilfred Bramble is mentioned in the same sentence as Savile on many internet sites
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wilfred Bramble is mentioned in the same sentence as Savile on many internet sites

And in conjunction with Jersey.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    JTGE wrote: »
    As FBI has said several times, its clear that there have been only rumours lacking any foundation. I didn't care for him and yes, I found him a bit creepy, but might not have if I'd actually met him. And I have no doubt he had a difficult personality that would tend to get in the way of close relationships to some extent or other. Clever bloke though, and made his life a very worthwhile one.

Makes me laugh that even on this one thread the rumours include children, youths, teenage girls, women and corpses.
    That's about my view on it too.

I did find him very odd, but I find certain other people odd in different ways too and that doesn't make them paedos or perverts.

I personally think JS never had relationships with anyone.