Options

Florence and the Machine absolutely outstanding!!

Comments

• Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    Is she really in her 20s? My granny looks younger than her and my grandad more feminine.

Love it.

She ain't a looker is she, our Florence. Horrible voice too. Although to be fair she does have a very unique style, and is perfect I suppose if you like the sound of wailing banshees screeching incomphrensible lyrics at full belt.
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Probably the weakest performance I've seen from her.

Yet still the best thing ever on the x factor.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love. love. love her. First album was a masterpiece. Can't wait to download the second :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I noticed Dermot didn't go on stage at the end of her performance the way he usually does when a guest has been on. Am thinking the height difference would have been a bit much! :D
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stealing quotes from The Dark Knight, how low can one go.

Their most famous song is a cover, now they have to resort to this.

Don't understand why they are popular tbh.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KipperRSA wrote: »
    Way overrated imo

I agree, She should have mimed ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The conservative, MOR tastes on this forum are always funny to read.

Just watched it now, and she was incredible.
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    I thought it was one of the best guest performances this year, but then again I liked JLS too so that probably negates my opinion in the eyes of the musical elite. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    No, it isn't. Florence + the Machine is the name under which Florence performs. Hence the reason she won the BRIT Award for Best British Female Solo Artist and the NME Award for Best Solo Artist.

I suppose you could look at it both ways, but essentially The Machine is the band.

The Machine is the name attributed to her teenage collaboration with Isabella "Machine" Summers. Welch and Summers performed together for a time under the name Florence Robot/Isa Machine. Later, this was shortened to Florence and the Machine as it was felt to be too cumbersome. Welch continued using this name for her band even when Summers parted company with her for a time, although Summers later returned to become her regular keyboard player.[6]

Like most solo singers, Welch relies on a regular line up of musicians to support her in live shows. The current line-up includes musicians Robert Ackroyd (guitar and backing vocals), Chris Hayden (drums and percussion), Isabella Summers (keyboards and backing vocals), Mark Saunders (bass guitar) and Tom Monger (harp).[25] In the past, Welch has praised the Machine for understanding her creative process, claiming, "I've worked with most of them for a long time and they know my style, know the way I write, they know what I want.
  • Options
    jcallaghan86jcallaghan86 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was incredible, looked spooky though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good performance - should introduce her to a lot of viewers who wouldn't normally hear her stuff.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    i take your young then... to me she was worse than Frankie..

Yes Frankie has stage charisma and ooozes personality. Florence is just another old hat act that thinks all you have to do is stand there and sing your heart out. This is TV. Frankie will win the X Factor, as this Country has an unlimited supply of just the right sort of TV generation girl fans. They know how to appreciate an up to date relevant star of today and how to use a mobile phone to get what they want.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Frankie has stage charisma and ooozes personality. Florence is just another old hat act that thinks all you have to do is stand there and sing your heart out. This is TV. Frankie will win the X Factor, as this Country has an unlimited supply of just the right sort of TV generation girl fans. They know how to appreciate an up to date relevant star of today and how to use a mobile phone to get what they want.

Laughable! You really don't know much about Florence or music at all!

Look up her Glastonbury performances to see what the X factor contestants can only dream of! Rarely is Florence stood still!
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    Laughable! You really don't know much about Florence or music at all!

Look up her Glastonbury performances to see what the X factor contestants can only dream of! Rarely is Florence stood still!

Frankie could pack out Glastonbury on his own without even getting on stage. All he needs is a small tent and a few bouncers to keep the girls in line and moving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing performance, the new album is fantastic and I am 41 and male!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the song but she didn't sing it particularly well. A bit shouty for me.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pearls before swine...
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard any of her music before yesterday, but I really liked her performance. Very haunting, and her voice is very unique.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Ive not really heard anything by this artist before and I certainly dont think Ill be rushing out to buy an album based on what I heard last night.

I thought to myself, why on Earth didnt JLS get the top spot based on that noise I heard.

I find it strange how people can differ in what they hear. A mind numbing din to one is Angels playing harps to another. Odd.

I understand the 'Machine' part of the band now.......the grinding, whirring, clunking noise was quite apparent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was amazing. That and Kelly Clarkson have far outshone anyone else on that stage this year.
  • Options
    YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a set of pipes, she is incredible! I was pleased both live acts sang live.....unlike the x-factor contestants when they sing together.....!
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I was very impressed with her, never even heard of her before.
    She would have been an appropriate guest on Halloween night.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    I was very impressed with her, never even heard of her before.
    She would have been an appropriate guest on Halloween night.

Glad you were impressed.

But, how on earth have you not heard of her before?

One of the biggest artists around, mercury prize nominated, won the brit for best album couple of years back, basically had non stop play on radio and TV, her songs are used on virtually every TV show in existence from sport to masterchef.

Find it almost unbelievable you've not heard of her.

:eek:
  • Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Conehead wrote: »
    Good performance - should introduce her to a lot of viewers who wouldn't normally hear her stuff.

It certainly seems to have! I love her music and loved that performance but it never ceases to amaze me peoples inability to understand that not everyone likes the same thing. That doesn't make it rubbish or dreadful but simply not to your taste. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the exact same things / JLS.
    (I tease - I am very fond of JLS and clearly they are very good at what they do - I wouldn't buy their album but that is just me.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she sounded better than most do but I couldn't get away from the way it looked like she didnt wanna do it so sent Noel Fielding to mime for her... The likeness between them was scary