Options

212 in 2012

Comments

• Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13) The Mistress's Revenge - Tamar Cohen

A fairly good chick lit type of book but not written in chapters - I like chapters!
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. Matched by Ally Condie - 7/10 - slowed towards the middle but then gripped me again at the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going to make it to 212, the most i've ever done in a year was 52, and then I was unemployed for over half that year! Although maybe if U started reading graphic novels like some people here I could easily do the 212, afterall they probably only take a few hours to read!

This may be a good thing to record what I do read though. So far this year

1) Murder On The Orient Express - Agatha Christie
    2) The Mysterious Affair At Styles - Agatha Christie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite impressed that you've managed to read 18 books in the first 12 days of the year. How do you find the time? :eek:

Because most of the books he reads are graphic novels, which take a few hours to read!
  • Options
    SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite impressed that you've managed to read 18 books in the first 12 days of the year. How do you find the time? :eek:

I actually pretty much read all the time.. on average 4-6 hours on a week day... and all-day weekends (when the girlfriend lets me ;-))

Also 'cos I read comics/graphic novels (some are very quick reads, but most are read over months) as well as books, I can easily switch from one format to another, if I ever get bored!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »

18. Booky Wook 2 - Russell Brand 7/10
    HarperCollins, 311 pages
    Brand's sequel to 'My Booky Wook', and in my opinion just as good and just as interesting as well as charting Brand's Hollywood career, it also covers the controversies at the MTV Video Music Awards and the BBC / Andrew Sachs affair. With interesting personal insight on the likes of Morrissey, Puff Daddy and Noel Gallagher, from the obviously intelligent Brand, I found this a really good read... and as Brand followers know the book also covers him finally falling in love (supposedly with Katy Perry) and changing his shagger ways!

19. Fear Itself - Matt Fraction, Sean McKeever, Cullen Bunn, Christos N Gage etc 5/12
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 1105 pages
    The main story arcs from Marvel's main 2011 event the resurrection of The Serpent and the heroes stand against fear, itself. Some high points, but a lot of mediocre stuff in here as well. As ever it is the Bendis' Avenger tie-ins (not included here) that steal the show!

20. Crisis on Infinite Earths parts 1-4 - Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Roy Thomas, Alan Moore etc. 4/10
    D C Comics, 945 pages
    The Marv Wolfman led DC extravaganza that saw the remodelling of the entire DC Universe. Parts 1-4 are mostly concerned with the coming on the Monitor, Harbinger, the Shadows and the end of numerous universes!
    21. Crisis on Infinite Earths parts 5-8 - Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Roy Thomas, Alan Moore etc. 4/10
    D C Comics, 911 pages
    he depth of the tragedy facing the primary universes is realised as heroes begin to fall and the Anti-Monitor makes himself known.
    22. Crisis on Infinite Earths parts 9-12 - Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Steve Engleheart, Grant Morrison etc. 4/10
    D C Comics, 773 pages
    The final battles including Luthor, Brainiac and Darkseid's involvements. The death of numerous top rank heroes. As well as Grant Morrison's mini-epilogue in Animal Man with the fate of the Psycho Pirate.

23. Swimsuit - James Patterson and Maxine Paetro 4/10
    Arrow Books (Random House), 492 pages
    A retired cop turned crime fiction writer gets tangled up in a conspiracy of 'Peepers' that employ a serial killer to record the torture, rape and murder of his victims. On paper an interesting premise, but very poorly concluded in my opinion and little evidence of James Patterson's trademark page-turning style is evident either.

24. Don't Blink - James Patterson and Howard Roughan 4/10
    Arrow Books (Random House), 484 pages
    Sees a journalist get caught up in a city-wide conspiracy starting with the very public murder of a lawyer, involving the local criminal organisations, the law enforcers and sports stars. A bit off the mark compared to his earlier frenetic work, but still worth a quick holiday read maybe.

25. Live And Let Die - Ian Fleming 6/10
    Penguin Books, 280 pages
    Originally published in 1954, the second book in the James Bond series… a book title made famous by a Connery film adaption… A quite dark book, with Mr Big, a Black master criminal, bullion smuggler who uses voodoo to keep control of his numerous minions. Moving from Harlem, St Petersburg (USA), and finishing off in Fleming's favourite haunt.. the West Indies and Jamaica in particular, of course.
  • Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Elisabeth Sladen: the Autobiography by Elisabeth Sladen
    2 - Now you see her by James Patterson
    3 - Private by James Patterson
    4 - Private London by James Patterson
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because most of the books he reads are graphic novels, which take a few hours to read!

That would explain it!
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    I actually pretty much read all the time.. on average 4-6 hours on a week day... and all-day weekends (when the girlfriend lets me ;-))

Also 'cos I read comics/graphic novels (some are very quick reads, but most are read over months) as well as books, I can easily switch from one format to another, if I ever get bored!

Thanks for replying! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am never ever going to make it to 212 novels in 2012, but I am going to try to read more than I did last year, good intentions and all that:o

So far I have read 2 so thats only 210 to go to the target:D

They are

The Spy-Clive Cussler and Justin Scott

A Singleman-Christopher Isherwood

I have quite wide ranging tastes in the type of book I love to read.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    8. Salem's Lot - Stephen King
    9. Here Come The Girls - Milly Johnson
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8. Halt's Peril - John Flanagan
    9. The Demigod Files - Rick Riordan
  • Options
    __melissa__melissa Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    1. The Outcast - Sadie Jones
    2. Glue - Irvine Welsh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    5) Breakfast at Darcys - Ali Harris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    SSW, How do you have time to read so many books?

I wish I had the time to read more....i get to easily distracted by the tv!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    film_fan wrote: »
    SSW, How do you have time to read so many books?

I wish I had the time to read more....i get to easily distracted by the tv!

Well there's one thing... I don't watch hardly any TV... (I watch box-sets), but the only TV I watch is 30 minutes each morning on BBC Morning News.. and that's it! No soaps, no docus, no films, no series... no other TV at all (I no longer even have a TV in my living room!)
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Last year I set my target at 52 and managed 64 I think.

This year I am aiming for 60.

1) The Fifth Witness ~ Michael Connelly. Excellent as always.
    2) The Affair ~ Lee Child. Back to his best, a real page turner.
    3) Common Murder ~ Val McDermid .Boring beyond belief.
    4) Pierrepoint, a family of executioners ~ Steve Fielding. Fascinating history of 3 hangmen from the same family.
    5) Wicked London ~ Steve Jones. Tales of murderers from the last two centuries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling
  • Options
    jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Always The Sun- Neil Cross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10. The Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings
  • Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14) Murray McDonald - Critical Error

a digital spy author!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11. Queen of Sorcery - David Eddings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling
    6 - Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Murder On The Orient Express - Agatha Christie (7/10)
    2) The Mysterious Affair At Styles - Agatha Christie (7/10)
    3) Lunatics - Dave Barry & Alan Zweibel (5/10)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
    2. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    3. Inheritance - Christopher Paolini

Based on the fact I have college/uni this year, plus work, I'm going to set myself a target of 100. Ish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    5. Shadow's Edge, Brent Weeks
    Really good, expanded on book 1 nicely and did not have any middle book of trilogy coasting. In fact I felt that this book marked a natural conclusion and it was a good read.

6. Beyong the Shadows, Brent Weeks
    The last book of the night angel trilogy felt a little like a standalone extra to the previous books. I enjoyed it despite this and will read more by the author.

7. The Fox in Socks, Dr Seuss
    My niece is reading this and when I insisted that she read out loud to my rhythm, she made me read the whole book out loud faster and faster. Still, truth be known, I love it...... when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle..... great stuff

8. Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer

9. Artemis Fowl, the Artic Incident

10. Artemis Fowl, The Eternity Code

11. Artemis Fowl, The Opal Deception

12. Artemis Fowl, The Lost Colony

13. Artemis Fowl, Time Paradox

Probably with reading them back to back I found them initially appealing but less so with each book.

14. Battlefield Earth, L Ron Hubbard
    Bit of a guilty pleasure this one, cheesy beyond measure with a hero that is capable of no wrong but something about it makes me read it every so often.

15. Victory at Stalingrad, Geoffrey Roberts
    Rather than an examination of the battle it was more an overview of the war in the east without any major attempt to detail the battle and the campaigns around it or the personalities on either side. Rather disappointing.