Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch. That results rating is not good...not good at all. Terrible for DOI. Not long ago, it was hitting 9m very easily. I think the 2008 series was its peak, when it got something like 12.1m.

I think they're just exhausting their audience - it felt like it went on forever last night, there was an ad after every skate, endless filler... I haven't seen any of the results shows because I've been watching Sherlock/Birdsong and I suspect plenty of others have done the same. I don't vote so I don't really care who goes out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I honestly wish we could go back to the day of five channels - the commerical revenue would be more concentrated and they would be able to spend more cash on programming in the process.

Personally I think theres a solution to the drama problem. Co-productions help really reduce the risk. Others pointed out the other day the amount of European English speaking dramas these days - ITV could and should look to make relationships with international broadcasters. Sharing the risk seems to be the solution. So I don't worry too much about the digital age (more the recording age tbh, iplayer for example has massively massively added to the value of the license fee, but online ads and fast forwarding through ads are increasingly threatening for advert reliant broadcasters)

ITV have just increased their drama budget, so hopefully they'll try some new things (a good idea would be to move Downton and use X Factor to launch another show - seeing as Downton would do well on its own, and X Factor would help a new show (then repeat the next year, move, new, move, new) but I think they feel secure with that Sunday block) with it.

If we look at BBC co-productions have helped (Sherlock with PBS, Doctor Who got has had additional funding, once from Canada's CBS and now BBC America, Torchwood - if ever we want to talk about spreading out risk! This stopped it being a major flop for the Beeb, the South African one whose name escapes me, and some others am sure (Upstairs Downstairs, was wasn't it?) spread the risk as well as the costs.
  • Options
    Emine.CEmine.C Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    There was a time Phillip Schofield wouldn't shut up about DOI ratings on Twitter. Yet he has been strangely quiet today....
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    BBC1 now seem to have a new policy which seemed to start last Autumn, did the new scheduler/controller start around then?

When ITV have strong programmes, compete strongly, they may not win, but they will come close and keep ITV's big hitters in check. See SCD/TXF, The Downton Abbey scheduling and recent Sundays.

When ITV have weak programmes, compete weakly, we've seen every time if both channels have middle of the road programmes, BBC1 will come out on top as the least worst option. See Saturday nights, various midweek slots with cheap factual, New Tricks repeats etc.

Discuss (or alternatively continue with the usual boring 'ouch, ITV are in crisis, the schedule should be ripped up every week' nonsense over and over again)

So what are you saying - BBC One should compete strongly on ITV1's weak days and vice versa? :confused:
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Emine.C wrote: »
    There was a time Phillip Schofield wouldn't shut up about DOI ratings on Twitter. Yet he has been strangely quiet today....
    Maybe he got cold feet ! Geddit?

The response might have been frosty.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 now seem to have a new policy which seemed to start last Autumn, did the new scheduler/controller start around then?

When ITV have strong programmes, compete strongly, they may not win, but they will come close and keep ITV's big hitters in check. See SCD/TXF, The Downton Abbey scheduling and recent Sundays.

When ITV have weak programmes, compete weakly, we've seen every time if both channels have middle of the road programmes, BBC1 will come out on top as the least worst option. See Saturday nights, various midweek slots with cheap factual, New Tricks repeats etc.

Discuss (or alternatively continue with the usual boring 'ouch, ITV are in crisis, the schedule should be ripped up every week' nonsense over and over again)

I think BBC played a blinder in the Summer actually. A lot of strong shows led to fantastic ratings, opposite for ITV. So I don't think its fair to say BBC don't show good programming against week ITV shows. I certainly haven't seen that in the Autumn?
    I think its maybe more to do with them both going into the best days and slots, and competing for them. Just ITV have been coming out worst a good few times - but not always tbf.

The 'BBC competing with ITV' stuff is over written a bit tbh, Strictly boosted its audience the later its on, theirs proof in the breakdowns that being on earlier HURT Strictly, but against X Factor? Not by much. Fact is they needed to compete with it, no other choice - X Factor was done for other reasons.

With Downton? Yeah it was clever as well, Spooks against it, then a cheap filler for its last episode, then when Downton was out of the way they put on Garrow's Law (I think?). It was about countering ITV. So Spooks went for a different audience (although I suspect didn't timeshift as much as BBC wanted) - and then they held off on Garrow's knowing it'd do better away from Downton.

It didn't affect Downton either way, but I think Spooks was much more about the BBC offering not an alternative, but a good rating against ITV. Merlin is the same - AMAZING ratings to say the least against X Factor. Then two massive ratings for the finale once it finished!

And BBC Saturday nights are down to a lack of programming, their Lottery Quiz everyone underestimates, but I think its great. Just the word Lottery makes people run a mile! Certainly performs well, along with Casualty - so their hardly not showing anything decent. Which is why Take Me Out is a bit 'meh' - competition.

All the channels are very busy atm. I think thats all your seeing.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member

It sounds like you're complaining and moaning that BBC1 are trying to rate as well as possible. If BBC1 wants to show their big programmes at times to dent ITV1's big programmes, they can do that if they want to. The BBC obviously prefers to ensure X Factor only gets 10m instead of 12m or DOI gets 7m instead of 8m, and they try to make that happen with the programmes they schedule against it. What's wrong with that :confused:?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of Corrie related tweets on Twitter but I've just realised that the new series of Panorama started tonight with one of the occasional 'populist' Tonight-style investigations that usually rate well, so that will probably rate higher than the usual sub-3m that Panorama normally gets.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC has to be commended for axing many long running shows in the last couple of years. Many people complained when Lark Rise was axed, but we'd never of got Call the Midwife if it was still here.

Obviously we've got to remember that not everything's going to be a success, and as well as having a huge hit they've had a huge flop. But i'd much rather they commissioned new stuff, even if it is The Royal Bodyguard, than carrying on with the likes of My Family for ever and ever.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Celebrity Big Brother to beat The Royal Bodyguard tonight? I think it might happen, a BIG episode coming up :D. Has Channel 5 ever beaten BBC1 at 9pm for a show which isn't live?
    Oh dear - if it does we'll have arguments tomorrow about whether or not it counts as it sure in hell won't win the second half hour.

Despite all the "casual viewer" bullshit C5 spouted next year I do think C5 has lost the casual BB viewers which would boost episodes such as this, so although it may be a big episode, it's only a big episode to those actually watching - those who've given up on BB won't come back to it for one episode.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It sounds like you're complaining and moaning that BBC1 are trying to rate as well as possible. If BBC1 wants to show their big programmes at times to dent ITV1's big programmes, they can do that if they want to. The BBC obviously prefers to ensure X Factor only gets 10m instead of 12m or DOI gets 7m instead of 8m, and they try to make that happen with the programmes they schedule against it. What's wrong with that :confused:?
    Seemed like an observation not a complaint to me - that the BBC are scheduling strong programming where they want to put it in the schedules, rather than counteracting weak points in the ITV schedules.

To be honest I think that's what all channels need to do at the moment - build a schedule they want to offer rather than building it around the big shows on other channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what BBC1 have lined up for Sundays once DOI/WAH finishes.

I would laugh if it was 7pm Countryfile, 8pm Antiques Roadshow, 9pm some arty factual thing.

--

I see the new Room 101 gets an extended edition on Sunday nights now. Aren't these extended editions going a bit far. If you are a fan of the show what are you supposed to watch? The original showing, the extended one (in a late night slot so probably recorded) or both to see a few extra jokes scattered among the episode.

If there is enough decent content to make the extended episode, why not show it all in the first place!
  • Options
    Mrs Cee JayMrs Cee Jay Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't the BEEB end up shooting themselves in the foot now, with Call the Midwife clashing with the new series of Top Gear.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what BBC1 have lined up for Sundays once DOI/WAH finishes.

I would laugh if it was 7pm Countryfile, 8pm Antiques Roadshow, 9pm some arty factual thing.

--

I see the new Room 101 gets an extended edition on Sunday nights now. Aren't these extended editions going a bit far. If you are a fan of the show what are you supposed to watch? The original showing, the extended one (in a late night slot so probably recorded) or both to see a few extra jokes scattered among the episode.

If there is enough decent content to make the extended episode, why not show it all in the first place!
    Because the primetime schedule doesn't allow for 45 minute shows! It's a good idea, rather than just a plain repeat to give something extra in a slot that would usually be just repeats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Because the primetime schedule doesn't allow for 45 minute shows! It's a good idea, rather than just a plain repeat to give something extra in a slot that would usually be just repeats.

BBC2 could deal with 45 mins as could the 10:35pm slot on BBC1

It is a good idea for something like HIGNFY where there is obviously a loyal audience built up over many years that want more, but doing the extended episode thing for every random panel show seems a bit over the top.
  • Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Jason is in drag.

How many of those 2 point something million viewers are switching off? :o
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Precisely. The biggest risk ITV1 have taken recently in terms of money is Downton Abbey and that was a co-production. Same with Titanic (which seems quite an appropriate programme for the channel considering where it's heading at the moment).

ITV1 gets a lot of criticism, but outside of scheduling I'm not sure what they can do now. They simply do not have the funds to take the risks they used to. Neither do Channel 4. And Channel 5 began broadcasting as Sky started to take off so has never really had the sure footing of ITV1 or, to a lesser extent, Channel 4.

It has been suggested ITV scrap its digital channels and concentrate what we call ITV1 now. I know this would free up a few hundred million for better shows on the main channel, but the argument would go that these smaller channels are more niche and add about 5 pc to audience share. Yet there is little that can be done with the status quo, barring slashing ITV1's broadcasting hours and concentrating on peak time and again would they be prepared to drop out of competing in daytime even if stuff like This Morning is abysmal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't the BEEB end up shooting themselves in the foot now, with Call the Midwife clashing with the new series of Top Gear.

Maybe, but only slightly. More chance of ITV losing out and possibly BBC's 9PM hour.
    Namely because people will probably just tape and watch it on the same night. Or another night (honestly matters nothing to BBC when or where people watch things, but if).
    They should offer good alternatives though, and so could put pressure on ITV which loses out as the alternative shows.

Lots of possibilities, nothing certain. Midwife should still be +8 million easy.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Jason is in drag.

How many of those 2 point something million viewers are switching off? :o

The three still watching in this household haven't, I'm embarrassed to say.:o

I wonder what Ronnie Barker would have made of TRB - whether he would have hated it as much as the rest of us.

Although Ronnie did get very defensive when people had a go at his own big flop, The Magnificent Evans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but doing the extended episode thing for every random panel show seems a bit over the top.

This is true. But for HIGNFY has proven it can do rather well, am guessing the Beeb is just going to wait and see how Room 101 does. Its a cheap way to fill time, and if it does do well ratings wise, you can't really complain about it tbh as its worked.

I think it should do 'okay'.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook - Official Big Brother UK
    Get ready ladies and gents. 9pm, Channel 5, its the most explosive episode of Big Brother ever - be ready
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Facebook - Official Big Brother UK
    Get ready ladies and gents. 9pm, Channel 5, its the most explosive episode of Big Brother ever - be ready

I think I'll stick with The Royal Bodyguard if that's ok
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It has been suggested ITV scrap its digital channels and concentrate what we call ITV1 now. I know this would free up a few hundred million for better shows on the main channel, but the argument would go that these smaller channels are more niche and add about 5 pc to audience share. Yet there is little that can be done with the status quo, barring slashing ITV1's broadcasting hours and concentrating on peak time and again would they be prepared to drop out of competing in daytime even if stuff like This Morning is abysmal.

ITV won't axe any of their digital channels if they're making a profit - which I believe they are.
    grimshaw wrote: »
    Maybe, but only slightly. More chance of ITV losing out and possibly BBC's 9PM hour.
    Namely because people will probably just tape and watch it on the same night. Or another night (honestly matters nothing to BBC when or where people watch things, but if).
    They should offer good alternatives though, and so could put pressure on ITV which loses out as the alternative shows.

Lots of possibilities, nothing certain. Midwife should still be +8 million easy.

Looking back to last year, Lark Rise dropped from 6.57m to 6.27m in the overnights when Top Gear begin and from 7.31m to 7.02m in the officials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

They could just carry on pretty much as they are, way ahead of the nearest commercial competitor and with their digital channels some of the highest rating in the country, plus making much more uk sourced drama than any other commercial channel, comprehensive news service etc etc

Beating BBC1 in every slot, as seems to be the benchmark of success here is unattainable thesedays, even if they aired billion pound all star dramas every night.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Looking back to last year, Lark Rise dropped from 6.57m to 6.27m in the overnights when Top Gear begin and from 7.31m to 7.02m in the officials.

Dancing On Ice is in a weaker position than it was last year, though.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Corrie set Twitter alight - six of the top trends were Corrie-based throughout the last 10 minutes. And the soaps forum is extremely busy. I think it's going to get a very big rating. It deserved it - it was possibly the best set of episodes since the anniversary, just wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.