Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jan/25/channel-4-raise-programming-budget

C4 lost 10% of it's16-34 audiernce last year (I think we know where) so are boosting their budget by £50m this year to £450m (must say I thought their budget was £500m anyway, but only £400m was spent last year - and it showed!). That article labels New Girl as an out and out flop - and we all know that is purely down to scheduling. Hopefully that extra £50m is put towards the sort of shows we've been talking about here - considering Revenge and Person of Interest are yet to find a home I'm sure they could be picked up relatively cheaply - the original C4 Glee deal was £100k an episode, so I'd have thought they could get these around the same price, which out of an extra £50m is small change really.

I agree about Revenge, it should do well for Channel 4, it's very soapy and fun, it doesn't take itself seriously at all. It would need to be well promoted though. It's my favourite new show of the season, although I haven't watched Homeland yet.

It could just turn out to be a one season wonder, a brilliant one though, as the storyline isn't really something that can be stretched for too long without growing stale, and once it's done there's isn't much for the characters to do. There was talk of a new revenge story and cast, if it gets renewed, although I've sure if they put their minds to it they could work out a way to keep the same cast and move the story on.

I wonder why channels are being so cautious over both this and Once Upon a Time, it is because of Pan Am? Or it could just be because of what I said above.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just this moment called Steven Spielberg and he can confirm that Hollyoaks is a piece of crap.
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Revenge, it should do well for Channel 4, it's very soapy and fun, it doesn't take itself seriously at all. It would need to be well promoted though. It's my favourite new show of the season, although I haven't watched Homeland yet.

It could just turn out to be a one season wonder, a brilliant one though, as the storyline isn't really something that can be stretched for too long without growing stale, and once it's done there's isn't much for the characters to do. There was talk of a new revenge story and cast, if it gets renewed, although I've sure if they put their minds to it they could work out a way to keep the same cast and move the story on.

I wonder why channels are being so cautious over both this and Once Upon a Time, it is because of Pan Am? Or it could just be because of what I said above.

I think Channel 4 would do best going down Sky's route of investing constantly in homegrown Drama and Comedy..... It's a proven method now.....
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I've just this moment called Steven Spielberg and he can confirm that Hollyoaks is a piece of crap.

We've just this moment all seen a post from a Hollyoaks fan in disguise.....
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray has made the Aussie Open semi final. Why isn't this bigger news? Are BBC1 even showing the semi final on Friday?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Channel 4 would do best going down Sky's route of investing constantly in homegrown Drama and Comedy..... It's a proven method now.....

I agree in part, but Sky's main reason for this is that they've peaked in terms of gaining subscribers for 'exclusive foreign content' and know to boost themselves, and keep current subscriptions they need to be like BBC and be able to argue why they are worth the money.

C4 can't afford what they spend on these either, their not profitable based on ad only revenue, but subscriptions.
    C4 did however miss out on the likes of Karl Pilkington thing, would have fitted well for them - exactly the sort of thing they should be doing.

So I think they need some US stuff to fall back on (but should realise that the costs will spiral as Sky and others compete for it), but certainly some good comedy/drama is much needed. Atm Ch4 is just factual and quizes.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Andy Murray has made the Aussie Open semi final. Why isn't this bigger news? Are BBC1 even showing the semi final on Friday?

BBC Two and BBC HD. See this....................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16660418.stm

It was originally scheduled as a Red Button match.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    CBB does very well again nearly 2.4million and with tonight's eviction it could make 3million who thinks?
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, myscrapbook2011 makes Dancc look rational when it comes to C5. :D
    rzt wrote: »
    Good to see Channel 4 increase their budget significantly. Increasing the programming budget is the best way (and I think only way, really) for a commercial broadcaster to halt a ratings decline these days and get figures back up. They really need to sort out Friday nights which used to be so strong for them. I'd like to see a normal comedy based on 20 or 30 year olds which isn't niche, worthy or quirky. They've got plenty of niche, worthy or quirky scripted stuff already (which is absolutely fine), but what they need is a mainstream scripted hit which can run for at least 8 episodes per year. Same goes for drama, Shameless is rating poorly this series, especially when you consider there's no E4 first-look anymore, so they need to get a drama series coming through soon getting 2m week-in-week-out. I think Fresh Meat has potential to grow next series but they'll need others in addition to that. I'd love to see The Big Bang Theory on C4 Friday nights at 9pm, I'm convinced new episodes of it would get at least 2m, if not touching 3m, though I do appreciate from a financial view-point it might be better for them keeping it on E4 so the rights are cheaper. Revenge is a good idea (not for Friday nights, but another night) - haven't seen it, but from what I've read, it sounds like the kind of American import which could rate well. Homeland, which they've already got the rights to, is brilliant but I can't see that rating particularly well unfortunately.
    Absolutely agree with everything said there. OK, we're assuming something like Revenge would work for them, but a couple of US dramas provides a backbone to the schedule at 10pm and effectively halves the number of nights C4 need to worry about. They're an important part of C4's ratings success over the last decade or two but seem to have been completely neglected in the last couple of years in favour of cheap factual which really doesn't play well at 10pm.

I only took a look at it a couple of days ago after people recommended it here and must say that from the opening moments your first thought is that it is a one season storyline which might struggle beyond that, but they'll at least try with a second series and there is an obvious twist to the "revenge" aspect that can form the basis of that.

Worth remembering too that although more soapy Desperate Housewives essentially began with a one season storyline and has essentially reset the main plot with every season.
    It isn't bigger news because Murray is now a regular in grand slam semi-finals (he made them all last year, and the Aussie open final). The BBC have ditched all but the semi-finals and finals of the Aussie Open - another thing to thank Mr Cameron for.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,683
    Forum Member
    CBB does very well again nearly 2.4million and with tonight's eviction it could make 3million who thinks?
    Not a chance against the highly predictable but heavily watched TV Awards.

There'll be a drop tonight to around 2m exc. +1 for the first show. The 11pm show is a stupid idea and will tank badly, bringing down the overall average for the series. But it should recover through Thursday and hopefully clear 3m for the finale on Friday.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't bigger news because Murray is now a regular in grand slam semi-finals (he made them all last year, and the Aussie open final). The BBC have ditched all but the semi-finals and finals of the Aussie Open - another thing to thank Mr Cameron for.

They Will be showing the Andy Murray Semi. It says on ther website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16660418.stm :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    God, myscrapbook2011 makes Dancc look rational when it comes to C5. :D
    Do me a favour and just ignore my posts if you feel that way. I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of the not so subtle digs from you.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, is it Tuesday night tradition that we don't get Ch5+1 ratings? With +1, CBB got ~2.5m
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Excellent night for Ch5. Cowboy Builders & Body of Proof up week on week despite tougher football competition & CBB posts another strong audience. I doubt tonights eviction will be much higher, because of the NTA's.

I really underestimated how popular Becky is. To get 4.6m in one of ITV's worst slots of the week and no Corrie lead in is fanatstic. Shows like that only get ratings like that when they are in the easy Wednesday 7.30pm slot. I was expecting around 3.5m.

EE was dented by about 1m from ITV1 and BBC2 and strangely didn't pick up the viewers at 10pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Again, is it Tuesday night tradition that we don't get Ch5+1 ratings? With +1, CBB got ~2.5m
    Broadcast tends to report it if it's on at 9pm, so we get the +1 data from there. But it was at 10pm last night, as it was last Tuesday, so Broadcast didn't even mention CBB.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Dancc wrote: »
    Broadcast tends to report it if it's on at 9pm, so we get the +1 data from there. But it was at 10pm last night, as it was last Tuesday, so Broadcast didn't even mention CBB.
    Why is Digital Spy not including Channel 5+1 ratings in the ratings reports? I see ITV+1 and Channel4+1 are included but not Channel5+1! A lot of us on TiBB are annoyed by this.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell has confirmed that Steve Jones has been axed as host of The X Factor USA.
    I'm not sure if has been officially confirmed although it remains a safe bet. Fox didn't like him and audiences didn't like him. To be honest I think the more telling comments from Cowell have been on Gary Barlow's future on the UK show – he's repeated the 'Take That commitments' line to give Barlow an excuse to not come back and they're now feeding an 'ITV really want him to stay' story to the press to make sure that if he doesn't come back he can at least leave with some dignity.
    Agent F wrote: »
    Indeed and yet another variation on the exact same theme.
    Combination of issues.

Once Upon A Time didn't go down particularly well at the international screenings. No one was particularly enamoured with it and the vast majority seemed to think that it would last a handful of episodes before being pulled. If memory serves ABC were also asking quite a lot for it at the time which would have put a lot of people off as well. Its not particularly easy to schedule either – I can't see it being broadcast particularly successfully post-watershed in the UK for example. Revenge had similar problems, nobody thought it was going to do particularly well (and to be fair it hasn't done fantastic business) and the question that came up a lot with it was how does that story work over a 20+ episode season and then multiple seasons and nobody had particularly impressive answers.

Also worth mentioning that neither show came across as a top priority for ABC Studios. A huge amount of focus on the drama slate was given to selling Good Christian Bitches/Belles which they've very much positioned as the replacement for Desperate Housewives.

And perhaps more importantly than all of that is that ABC Studios has burnt a lot of bridges with a lot of broadcasters and haven't really been able to mend those bridges. Remember it was only a few years ago that ABC Studios sold FlashForward (at rather extravagant rates) to the rest of the world as the 'new Lost' and it basically bombed everywhere. They've then followed that up with terrible, terrible development that has produced shows that have been lucky to produce 13 episodes let alone get to a second season. People have just become incredibly cautious about buying anything from them and so for the most part they haven't.

If Revenge and Once Upon A Time are still posting acceptable numbers by the end of the season (which is by no means a sure thing) then people might become a little more interested in buying them. Personally I think the real surprise of the season is that Person of Interest hasn't sold particularly well. I thought (and still do think) that its a terrible show with an awful lead but given the priority it was given at CBS and the names attached to it thought there would be much more interest in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

That can't work on TV. It really can't.
    If this announced for ITV I will really despair. MTV or something sure, but certainly not a significant broadcaster.

Or maybe their planning to base it online? That could actually work tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is Digital Spy not including Channel 5+1 ratings in the ratings reports? I see ITV+1 and Channel4+1 are included but not Channel5+1! A lot of us on TiBB are annoyed by this.
    They don't get it on the datasheets they receive yet. I am sure if they contacted Attentional about it, they could get it fixed, but obviously not a priority. I alerted Paul Millar about it weeks and weeks ago and still nothing has been done, nor is anyone replying to the comments people are leaving at the bottom of the articles, so I don't think anyone is listening. Shame really as DS is the best source for the overnights usually, but since they are incomplete I head to Broadcast first now.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimshaw wrote: »
    That can't work on TV. It really can't.
    If this announced for ITV I will really despair. MTV or something sure, but certainly not a significant broadcaster.

Or maybe their planning to base it online? That could actually work tbh.
    This looks to be another Red or Black situation where a show has been in development for a long time (over a year in this case) and at no point has any weight been given to the opinion that its just fundamentally flawed and not worth doing. What I find troubling about the whole thing is that it does feel like its been developed by a group of 50+ year olds sitting around and asking 'what are the youth into?' and that usually means that 50+ television executives somewhere in the world can be easily convinced that its a show 'the youth' will love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    This looks to be another Red or Black situation where a show has been in development for a long time (over a year in this case) and at no point has any weight been given to the opinion that its just fundamentally flawed and not worth doing. What I find troubling about the whole thing is that it does feel like its been developed by a group of 50+ year olds sitting around and asking 'what are the youth into?' and that usually means that 50+ television executives somewhere in the world can be easily convinced that its a show 'the youth' will love.

I do feel a bit like when R/B was announced, that feeling of 'why would this work?'
    Like R/B I question the format - so, as having a quiz entirely based around chance and only two options - would not work; a show based around DJ's will first of all leave most of the audience not watching; the actual people into DJ's won't watch cause the internet means people are aware of the a whole host of artists, and others just like it as background music.

"DJ’s are the new rock stars" says it all. Does Cowell even remember how his original shows worked? In what way are we going to be emotionally attached to them? Nothing connects to a DJ, its about the people listening.

Their all just going to be incredibly dull, then odd moments as the show breaks up to discuss the last track...which won't be worth discussing.

Cowell is bonkers atm. Plus their only going to get bedroom DJs or poor club DJs namely because they make money by their name, they are the brand. Going on the show will likely weaken them as oppose to strengthen them.

ITV will likely be the broadcaster in the UK (if it isn't internet only, where frankly it COULD work - and the profits will come from the DJ's career) so hopefully its ITV2 and not 1.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LRose wrote: »
    Yet the Xmas Day 2007 episode attracted 13.9m overnights and a 14m+ official figure.
    Yes, exactly my point. That style of trail worked one year and they've done it every year since. :D
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Cowell's great new idea:
    Sounds awful and at least a decade - if not two - too late.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Do me a favour and just ignore my posts if you feel that way. I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of the not so subtle digs from you.
    Oh lighten up FFS - it seems nobody here is allowed to pass comment on C5 without you taking it as a personal attack.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really surprising rating for Farewell Becky considering it didn't have a Corrie lead-in and was up against EastEnders. Everything about Corrie has been unexpectedly high this week.

Strange that EastEnders was dented by a clip show rather than an actual episode.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    When the BBC had Neighbours the names of two BBC producers always used to appear on the end-credits so I assume they must have had some input (otherwise what were they ''producing''?)
    They did the "Television Presentation" which was initially labelled as "BBC Television Presentation": it was their job to edit out any unsuitable words, scenes, and occasionally, whole storylines.
This discussion has been closed.