Options

Bad news Dr.Who fans - Mat Smith has no plans to leave...

Comments

• Options
    Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    ..Dr.Who!

I wish he would make plans so I can start watching this again. It's like watching a poor childrens tv drama now.
    [news]Matt Smith on 'Doctor Who': 'I have no plans to leave'[/news]

I refer the OP to the recent response in the case of Hound vs Spy.
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah sure it is. And Bros were better than The Beatles and Jeffrey Archer a better author than Charles Dickens.

I do wish people would get away from the idea that if an opinion is shared by the majority, that opinion therefore becomes fact. It doesn't. You can't say that any artistic endeavour (whether that be music, literature or even a TV programme) is objectively better than another, so using the Beatles or Charles Dickens here is effectively meaningless.

Mind you, I bloody hate the Beatles so I'm biased ;)
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Mind you, I bloody hate the Beatles so I'm biased ;)

The first episode of the Hartnell story "The Chase" wouldn't appeal to you then!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    I don't know how it hasn't drove regular forum visitors up the bloody wall and rendered them insane...

Oh, it has. Unfortunately, that just has the effect of making them want to come back...
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,523
    Forum Member
    It's all about opinion of course but I cannot stand Matt as Dr Who and loved David Tennant, although not as much as Christopher Eccelston who I really wish had done more than just the first series of the return.
    I have watched Dr Who since I was a little girl - seen ALL the Doctors and cannot bear to watch it with Matt in it.
    The Amy Pond character completed my disenchantment with the series.
    Hope Matt leaves soon..................
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt SMith is my Doctor....so very much excited by this and cannot wait.

Series 5 reignited my love for the show (as i say repeatedly lol) and Series 6 i my favourite series thus far! So very much cannot wait for what the future holds.

Long may he stay :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    It's all about opinion of course but I cannot stand Matt as Dr Who and loved David Tennant, although not as much as Christopher Eccelston who I really wish had done more than just the first series of the return.
    I have watched Dr Who since I was a little girl - seen ALL the Doctors and cannot bear to watch it with Matt in it.
    The Amy Pond character completed my disenchantment with the series.
    Hope Matt leaves soon..................

I agree with most of what you say, and so does everyone else I know, in fact, I dont know anyone in real life that does like the portrayal by MS.

I hope he leaves soon too, the bonus is that we lose pond this year, thats the first good news I have heard since 2009 on the DW front.
    I can wait for a new Doctor though, I know that eventually he will leave and we can get back to watching as a familyand actually enjoying the show again.
  • Options
    Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like matt.
    i didnt like tennant :)
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP can't spell Matt's name - oops!:D

It's not bad news for me - I'm absolutely thrilled that Matt has no plans to leave the show as I'm really enjoying him in the role.

Well done to him on the NTA award by the way - it seems that many other viewers are happy with Matt's Doctor, too.;)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP can't spell Matt's name - oops!:D

It's not bad news for me - I'm absolutely thrilled that Matt has no plans to leave the show as I'm really enjoying him in the role.

Well done to him on the NTA award by the way - it seems that many other viewers are happy with Matt's Doctor, too.;)

I hope Mat stays longer than Tomm did! ;)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Mat stays longer than Tomm did! ;)

I sort of hope if he stays longer than Tom Baker that the same thing doesn't happen and his interpretation doesn't become stale before he leaves. Even Tennant wasn't at his best in his last year.

One thing's for certain, if Matt Smith does stay for longer than seven years, the whole 'I hate Matt Smith' debate will still be rumbling on! :eek: :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    I really can't do this:

... debate anymore. It's been done to the death. Nothing more to say on it at all. I don't know how it hasn't drove regular forum visitors up the bloody wall and rendered them insane...[/QUOTE]

You mean some of us aren't insane?:eek:
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say, and so does everyone else I know, in fact, I dont know anyone in real life that does like the portrayal by MS.

Quite a lot of people must like him, mustn't they, if he's won the NTA? It's a popular vote, isn't it?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Means his career's on the buffers. Usually, actors leave Dr Who to not get typecast ........
  • Options
    Forum Member

Funny, everyone else I know love Matt in the role. And they range from 15 to 50 - even my Tennant-obsessed cousin is surprised and glad to find that she enjoys the series just as much without David, although her love is not diminished in the slightest!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP seems not to understand that the vast majority of Doctor Who fans actually like Matt in the role.

Just for reference, a couple of polls that indicate he is very well liked here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1477051&highlight=matt+smith+poll
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1511383&highlight=matt+smith+poll

spiney2 wrote: »
    Means his career's on the buffers. Usually, actors leave Dr Who to not get typecast ........

I see. I'm sure you feel that is the reason Tennant stuck around as long as he did as well, right?
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I like both Chris's and David's portayal of the blue box travelling Time Lord, Matt's portrayal reminds me much more of the Classic Who Doctors, which is why his Doctor is my favourite since the re-launch.

I'm also loving Steven Moffat's so-called convoluted arcs, which is why Series 6 is my favourite since the re-launch.

I think Matt should stay another two years, any longer and I think even I might start tiring of him. After that, I'd like to see the 12th Doctor played by a much older actor, someone who's Grandfatherly like Hartnell or avuncular like some of Hartnell's successors.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, I think Matt should stay for as long as he is loving it and no longer. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny, everyone else I know love Matt in the role. And they range from 15 to 50 - even my Tennant-obsessed cousin is surprised and glad to find that she enjoys the series just as much without David, although her love is not diminished in the slightest!

Weird isnt it? not one person I know likes him, from small children to pensioners. My dislike of him is that he just reminds me of Mr Bean too damn much and I cant get past that, his mannerisms just dont sit well with me. Also the stories for me have been abysmal, perhaps with a different writer I may grow to like him?
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Oh no, this is turning into another Matts better than Tennant argument. Please someone stop it before I go mad. Personaly I think Matt will stay untill the 50th anniversary episode and then leave. But thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Weird isnt it? not one person I know likes him, from small children to pensioners. My dislike of him is that he just reminds me of Mr Bean too damn much and I cant get past that, his mannerisms just dont sit well with me. Also the stories for me have been abysmal, perhaps with a different writer I may grow to like him?

I don't know - generally, the stories are being written by the same writers they used to be.

As for Mr. Bean, I'm finding it hard to see the similarity, apart from the tweed jacket?
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    ..Dr.Who!

I wish he would make plans so I can start watching this again. It's like watching a poor childrens tv drama now.

[news]Matt Smith on 'Doctor Who': 'I have no plans to leave'[/news]

Just thought I'd mention that you're in the minority. Most of the people who dislike the show in its current form blame Moffat and claim that Smith is good and that they wish he had better episodes written for him. If someone not leaving is bad news, then to a fair number of fans, it would be the news that Moffat is not leaving (and he isn't).
    I don't believe any of this, as I personally found the RTD years to be more Childish (but still brilliant) and I'm enjoying the show greatly at present, but you are entitled to your own opinion and I'm sorry that you can't seem to enjoy Doctor Who any more :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know - generally, the stories are being written by the same writers they used to be.

As for Mr. Bean, I'm finding it hard to see the similarity, apart from the tweed jacket?

Its all in the arms/hands, both men clench their hands and push them up at right angles from their wrist when excited, it is all too alike with for me , topped with the jacket and shirt, and the way the head is held, its just a thing that really bugs me and puts me off the way he plays my lovely Doc.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,523
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd mention that you're in the minority. Most of the people who dislike the show in its current form blame Moffat and claim that Smith is good and that they wish he had better episodes written for him. If someone not leaving is bad news, then to a fair number of fans, it would be the news that Moffat is not leaving (and he isn't).
    I don't believe any of this, as I personally found the RTD years to be more Childish (but still brilliant) and I'm enjoying the show greatly at present, but you are entitled to your own opinion and I'm sorry that you can't seem to enjoy Doctor Who any more :(

I always seem to be in the minority - I love Stephen Moffat's writing, it's the eternally twitching Smith I loathe, that's nothing to do with the writing!
    Blink was the best episode of almost anything that I have ever watched.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest Matt's only doing his job because he's an actor and doesn't write the script's .