Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decent peaks for Six Nations and MotD for BBC1 last night. Sky Sports winning a timeslot according to twitter sources, not sure that has happened many times in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Emine.CEmine.C Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    They did actually!

Some posters still like to think Corrie is in crisis even when it isn't!
    People might have commented that 6m or whatever it got was poor for January but I doubt anyone was saying the show was in crisis based on one rating. If they were then more fool them. All Corrie needed was some big storylines to boost ratings and that has now happened.

On the other hand I've seen posts here making out EE is rating poorly when it's above 8m and making out Emmerdale is about to take over it when it's showing no signs of that at all.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Decent peaks for Six Nations and MotD for BBC1 last night. Sky Sports winning a timeslot according to twitter sources, not sure that has happened many times in the last 20 years.

I can probably guess which one... ;) 12:45 to 14:45 or a period within that.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emine.C wrote: »
    People might have commented that 6m or whatever it got was poor for January but I doubt anyone was saying the show was in crisis based on one rating. If they were then more fool them. All Corrie needed was some big storylines to boost ratings and that has now happened.

On the other hand I've seen posts here making out EE is rating poorly when it's above 8m and making out Emmerdale is about to take over it when it's showing no signs of that at all.

Obviously the veteran soap is unlikely to get back to the glory days of 17 million viewers as there is more choice now and it isn't must see television, but 9 million is very good in such a competitive market and we were saying in the pub last night, it will outlive all of us. I still think if ITV ran an April Fool on Daybreak and said it was being finished, the phone lines would be jammed with complaints as CS has a particularly partisan following.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    - Celebrity Pointless starts in March for 8 weeks on Saturday evenings, probably from Saturday 17th March after the current run of Winter Wipeout ends
    - With all the above in mind, Saturday 24th March can be pencilled in for the start of The Voice
    The BBC still have 10 episodes of a regular Wipeout series filmed back in Jan 2011, though they could go 5.30/6.15/7.15 with Pointless/Total Wipeout/The Voice
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Obviously the veteran soap is unlikely to get back to the glory days of 17 million viewers as there is more choice now and it isn't must see television, but 9 million is very good in such a competitive market and we were saying in the pub last night, it will outlive all of us. I still think if ITV ran an April Fool on Daybreak and said it was being finished, the phone lines would be jammed with complaints as CS has a particularly partisan following.
    I can't see anything ever being announced on Daybreak jamming the phone lines!
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    The BBC still have 10 episodes of a regular Wipeout series filmed back in Jan 2011, though they could go 5.30/6.15/7.15 with Pointless/Total Wipeout/The Voice

I think they might keep Wipeout for the Summer/early Autumn as I don't think they'll have much else for then (other than Tonight's The Night!), and then they'd have more room earlier on for any longer episodes of The Voice. Also it'd give Wipeout a bit of a break which the flagging Winter ratings suggest it needs.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Do we really have to use the term BBCista and ITVista and also Channel snob? Unnecessary.

I'm another one who hates the use of these terms. It really is unnecessary - any hope of a constructive debate is brought down to childish nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    I'm another one who hates the use of these terms. It really is unnecessary - any hope of a constructive debate is brought down to childish nonsense.

I have to laugh when someone says channel snob, you could hardly say BBC One is elitist these days. Also I had to laugh when ITV was referred to as the people's channel, I think it lost that title in the nineties.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Celebrity Juice's rating stands out from last night; despite his popularity I don't think Keith Lemon will find his move to ITV1 quite so easy...why don't they give him a post watershed programme; it'd suit his audience more?

ITV1 presumably can't give him a post-watershed show because they don't do any post-watershed comedy anymore. I suppose it's impressive that Leigh Francis has managed to find another character to replace Avid Merrion, I dunno how many people know it's the same person.

The first time I ever saw Leigh Francis was in 1998 when he presented the C4 teen show Buzz as himself (with Dermot O'Leary as reporter) and I thought he was brilliant as a kids TV presenter, funny and enthusiastic, and I said he would be a big star. But then in series two he just did characters and a bland male model presented the show, and he's never done anything as himself since. And he's not been funny since, neither.
    ftv wrote: »
    I believe there is a question mark over the 6.30 local news as the English regions no longer have the ability to opt-out of BBC2 (although the National regions do).

I'm sure when it comes to the regional news they'll do what they did dyring Wimbledon last year with a short five minute bulletin at teatime and then an extended bulletin after ten o'clock, if it comes to that.
    excel99 wrote: »
    BBC2 seems like it will just be a weird mish-mash of BBC1 and BBC2 shows. I guess we could see EE leading into Gardeners World or Holby City leading into Horizon

I think there'll be just as much Olympics on BBC2 as there is on BBC1, when there's swimming and athletics on at the same time BBC2 will be showing stuff as well. BBC2 benefit from having virtually no fixtures in the schedules apart from Newsnight, I think the channel will be mostly Olympics, the odd BBC1 show (although I seriously doubt Panorama and Holby will be on, and Songs of Praise moving is hardly news, it's moved to BBC2 about half a dozen times a year) and then films and repeats the rest of the time.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Strange goings on on BBC2 this evening ,Radio Times and all the papers say their is 2 ep of Pan Am this evening, but the Freeview EPG says that there is only 1 ep and the other is next week and everything else on BBC2 is now on 40 minutes earlier. Don't know what thats all about.

Well, that it was happened, and seemingly it was decided a couple of days in advance given that it was also updated on the Virgin EPG and that never normally updates on the day. I dunno if BBC2 miscounted and realised they needed to fill another week, or it's performing so badly it can't take up so long in the schedule (I see it's on at 11.15 next week), or for contractual reasons or what.
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Graham Norton recorded an excellent figure and really seems to be going from strength-to-strength. Ross' departure was a blessing and Graham now seems comfortable on the channel - after a number of awkward years lurching from panel games, to BBC2, to Saturday Night entertainment. He could stay where he is for years now.

Yes, Graham has really turned it around because when he joined the Beeb everyone put the boot into him and famously they gave him a million formats, but now he's got a consistently successful show (the same format he did on C4 admittedly, but it still works) and he's made a success of Eurovision and he seems well at home at the Beeb now. And he's a proper company man, he took a paycut without moaning and he never slags anyone off, I can't remember him ever being in the papers. And I've always liked him, so hooray for Graham.
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Not very well as they are almost all Championship games and they are up against PL games on ESPN.

I think they generally get approx 400,000 (programme average).

They clearly started doing these Saturday Championship games as a blatant spoiler for Setanta because they only began when they started, before that they were on Friday nights, and I thought they might stop them when Setanta finished. I don't know why they don't move them back to Friday, they don't rate very well and it's not very good for the Football League because they're almost always opposite a Premier League game so never get any radio coverage or anything.
    ftv wrote: »
    Could I just point out that Upstairs Downstairs started on LWT in 1971 and was eventually picked up by the BBC. So I think we can see which came first.

Could I just point out that The Forsyte Saga started on the BBC in 1967 and was eventually picked up by ITV. So I think we can see which came first.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Does Harry Hill own the TVBurp format? In a few years time after his Channel4 career flops, could he move to BBC1 and do TVBurp for the channel?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC was actually doing Dickens adaptations in the 1950s. Re Forsyte Saga: It really should have been made in colour as they had the facilities to do so and would still be selling it abroad today if they had.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Does Harry Hill own the TVBurp format? In a few years time after his Channel4 career flops, could he move to BBC1 and do TVBurp for the channel?

I like the "after his Channel 4 career flops". I am almost certain Harry Hill owns the format for TV Burp and that's why I'm staggered at the number of people who suggest it could carry on without him. It's like doing Shooting Stars without Reeves and Mortimer. It's Harry Hill's show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings taking a long time to be reported. DS have normally updated by now. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Ratings taking a long time to be reported. DS have normally updated by now. :(

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt today seeing as there is a higher profile story for a website of DS's nature today.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a365304/footballer-prank-show-for-itv.html

Could be good, although I do laugh when I read quotes such as "absolutely massive".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt today seeing as there is a higher profile story for a website of DS's nature today.

Could be good, although I do laugh when I read quotes such as "absolutely massive".

When will they learn. Rio Ferdinand did one for ITV in 2006 and nobody watched it.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T Penery wrote: »
    When will they learn. Rio Ferdinand did one for ITV in 2006 and nobody watched it.

Yeah, a quick check via Wikipedia and BARB reveals it went out on Saturday 10th June at 10pm and got 3.47m viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whitney taking priority is completely understandable, but it clearly isn't draining all of the resources as they've still been publishing stories such as the one you've linked to. Still, DS are very good most of the time so I guess you're right.

As for that show, it basically sounds exactly like a show Ferdinand did in 2006 and it got slaughtered back then. Another one that I don't think has been mentioned on here yet is:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/pressreleases/programmepressreleases/tvsmash/default.html

It'll be probably be used on a Tuesday or Wednesday in the Summer and rate poorly, but it might be vaguely interesting for ratings geeks like us! :D

In addition, Lionel Ritchie is doing a musical special for ITV according to Lost in TV. I'm almost certain it'll air on Sunday 18th March in the DOI sandwich as WAH ends the week before.

Looking ahead to the Spring, I wonder if ITV will repeat the same scheduling for BGT week as they have for the last couple of years, or whether they'll merge the shows into one 2 hour show per night, which would be much better for the show's ratings? Also do we definitely know that the stripped week will be w/c 28th May, as that's the week they normally go for, but the Bank Holiday/half term is a week later this year (but for obvious reasons it can't be that week).
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T Penery wrote: »
    Production was also a bit of a disaster...

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/238748/jayne-middlemiss-livid-when-tv-prank-went-wrong/1
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds hilarious, can't wait for that one:rolleyes:

So now ITV don't just copy BBC shows they copy their own old shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »

This was to be expected in ITV1's dog days, they were churning out upper rubbish in the mid noughties. Bit worried when I read the article and the name of a certain reality show I said I wouldn't mention again appeared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one that I don't think has been mentioned on here yet is:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/pressreleases/programmepressreleases/tvsmash/default.html

It'll be probably be used on a Tuesday or Wednesday in the Summer and rate poorly, but it might be vaguely interesting for ratings geeks like us! :D

That'll almost certainly be on during the Olympics or around it as filler.
    Looking ahead to the Spring, I wonder if ITV will repeat the same scheduling for BGT week as they have for the last couple of years, or whether they'll merge the shows into one 2 hour show per night, which would be much better for the show's ratings? Also do we definitely know that the stripped week will be w/c 28th May, as that's the week they normally go for, but the Bank Holiday/half term is a week later this year (but for obvious reasons it can't be that week).

I do wonder if it's still out of the question it taking the May Bank Holiday w/c 7th May but just doubling up the audition shows on Saturday and Sunday. Anything's possible.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    GlennA are you the famous Glenn Aylett from Off The Telly who correctly predicted Neighbours' demise on BBC1 a couple of years before it happened? What do you think is going to happen to Hollyoaks soon?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's down to 8 million and I reckon Emmerdale will overtake it before long. Bring it on.
    I think there's more chance of a certain someone going a whole week without mentioning Opportunity Knocks. ;)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    ITV are bricking it privately over Call The Midwife. That's all you need to know.
    With Midwife and Miranda going well, I wonder how long it will be before Hart gets a golden handcuffs offer from ITV?

Then ITV can replicate the amazing success they had with Martin Kemp. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Midwife and Miranda going well, I wonder how long it will be before Hart gets a golden handcuffs offer from ITV?

Then ITV can replicate the amazing success they had with Martin Kemp. :rolleyes:

Ha! I bet there on to it right now. :D

Ken
This discussion has been closed.