Options

Richard Branson, do you like or dislike him?

Comments

• Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a great bloke, He comes across as a genuine honest fella, I can imagine him to be ruthless business wise, but a nice ruthless:D
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avoided prison because he had a rich dad.

not a fan. read Tim Jackson's biography.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    avoided prison because he had a rich dad.

not a fan. read Tim Jackson's biography.

Are you referring to the importation of Records and the tax avoidance thing :D
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I like him. When I was a kid I wrote him a letter because one of the Disney World ride pictures in the brochure was labelled wrong, I said I knew it was wrong because that ride made me cry. He replied, apologised and said it did look scary :D I was 11 at the time
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I generally have a positive impression. And it's more of an impression than a fully formed opinion. I did curse his name once after a kerfuffle with Virgin Atlantic though!
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    He's a dyslexic / aspergers so good on him :)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he's a con man. When he started Virgin Airlines he set up a marketing company which ordered 1000s of Virgin Tee shirts from the company where my wife worked. He then put his company into administration and my wife's company never got paid, so they were all made redundant.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    He's a dyslexic / aspergers so good on him :)

Yes but not aspergers
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Also, when the Cumbria train crash occurred involving a Virgin train in 2007, he was on the scene and conducting media interviews within a few hours, despite having the flu.

So on the whole pretty positive.

Yep, that was a good thing to do.

Considering the scale of the accident, only one person died, which is sad. However, things could have been so much worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayrigg_derailment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met him a few times and worked for him. Like so many self made business men, he is ruthless but I still admire, respect and like him. Always dealt fairly and made time for people, but never suffers fools. My kinda guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not like him but I admire him and i am very jealous of his wealth and success.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Virgin Media customer if I ever met him I'd like to introduce him to my throttling policy!

And I would like him slightly more if his call centres were actually based in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he called his staff "bastards" on national tv. and was effectively removed from one of his own companies.

hes probably competent, but whats special about running cherry picked companies guaranteed to make money (And partly taxpayer subsidised)?

at one point virgin trains was not just a mess but actually dangerous. they stopped doing maintenance. and were about to start locking doors between 1st and 2nd class and get rid of guards ...... just before paddington crash.
  • Options
    Tree-Of-LifeTree-Of-Life Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, he comes across as a nice enough guy.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's a bit of a poseur but I don't dislike him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    No, he's a con man. When he started Virgin Airlines he set up a marketing company which ordered 1000s of Virgin Tee shirts from the company where my wife worked. He then put his company into administration and my wife's company never got paid, so they were all made redundant.

whatever Branson's strengths might be, they dont seem to include a practical knowledge of the companies he fronts......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remember ..... the Heathrow flight slots were given to him. And ntl acquisition simply meant buying a nearly bankrupt company and getting a monopoly in return .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... im also not too impressed by his complete ignorance of 2nd law of thermodynamics ....... physics is science not PR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... and we gave him a bank ! nice.
  • Options
    The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I didn't really have an opinion about him before, but since he came out in support of cannabis legalisation, I like him very much. What we need is for many more high profile, and RESPECTED people like Branson to give their support to this cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... something difficult Sir Richard? if he gets into education and starts Virgin Schools ....... THAT would impress me.
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Yes but not aspergers

Dificult to rule out tbh - the traits are so similar and overlap.
  • Options
    LucyGS*LucyGS* Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    He's rich. So I hate him. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really have an opinion about him before, but since he came out in support of cannabis legalisation, I like him very much. What we need is for many more high profile, and RESPECTED people like Branson to give their support to this cause.

oh yeah a comment. if he starts smoking mild cannibis legally and responsibly and goes public on thatand funds a campaign ........ that might be slightly more effective .....
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

We already have Cannabis legislation and he only put his oar in because he thought it would make him popular with impressionable young people