Options

Doctors bid to unseat 50 mp's

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murky Past wrote: »
    This kind of direct action makes me very very happy. Especially since comedy Dave and his band of merry Bullingdons seem intent of excluding them from the talks.

Mind you given the speed of comedy Dave I doubt we'll have much NHS worth saving by the time the next GE rolls around.

I'm thrilled for you.

I'm very happy too. Such candidacy will further split the Labour vote and provide ample evidence that those moaning against the NHS bill are politically motivated.

Example: a quick search on Clive Peedell, the man orchestrating this gloriously egotistical farce reveals....
    Seriously. Bring it on.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I can appreciate feelings being strong on one issue but an MP has to surely have interests across the board not just in unseating someone over one issue.

Will they give a toss about the economy, education, policing or constituents who are having planning permission problems with wanting to build an extension onto the upstairs bedroom?

Yes I believe they will. In any case, they will care more than these mercenary upper-class numpties who don't have a clue about the real world..
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are politicians any more upper class than Doctors?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These very well paid doctors should do what they are paid for:mad:
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,071
    Forum Member
    Blimey! Countless adults and children live in poverty in this country and that is a major issue for you?

Priorities, dear boy, priorities!

Yep am proud to say equality for all is a big priority for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a clever move by the medics. Because of the general dislike of politicians (and more so since the expenses scandal) they know they'd do well. Wonder if the Coalition will throw them a few bones to buy them off?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are politicians any more upper class than Doctors?

LOL, seriously??

How many Doctors do you know that have a moat or a chauffeur driven limo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    These very well paid doctors should do what they are paid for:mad:

You mean like Politicians who are paid to represent their constituents but end up representing big business and corporations? hmmm

I mean yeah those bloody Doctors have a cheek standing up for not just their patients but for society as a whole and those corporatist teet suckling politicians would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling Docs.

I can see why the reactionaries are up in arms with this, I mean think about it, people who are not career politicians who are not in the pockets of corporations or have vested financial interests being involved in Politics actually challenging the establishment, how well bloody dare they. :p
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Once the government throws them a bit of extra cash, the doctors will soon shut up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    Labour will never decide not stand in a seat. It would damage them too much as a party.

Why not they stood down in Tatton(Knutsford) to get rid of Neil Hamilton, it would be great to get rid of George Osborne.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/doctors-bid-to-unseat-50-mps-in-revenge-over-nhs-bill-7576423.html

This could really take off, if I was Labour I would consider not having a mp run in these areas as well
    Labour wouldn't not run a candidiate. These doctors aren't on their "side" - the minute Labour do something the doctors disagree with (and they will since Labour essentially support most of the principles behind the reforms) they lose a couple of seats.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    You mean like Politicians who are paid to represent their constituents but end up representing big business and corporations? hmmm

I mean yeah those bloody Doctors have a cheek standing up for not just their patients but for society as a whole and those corporatist teet suckling politicians would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling Docs.

I can see why the reactionaries are up in arms with this, I mean think about it, people who are not career politicians who are not in the pockets of corporations or have vested financial interests being involved in Politics actually challenging the establishment, how well bloody dare they. :p

These doctors are standing up for themselves...nobody else.
  • Options
    HeresyIsFreedomHeresyIsFreedom Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    These doctors are standing up for themselves...nobody else.

Rubbish.

MPs serve themselves and their paymasters - the 5%.

Doctors are standing up for themselves and their patients - thats about 90% of us.

Which seems more democratic to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish.

MPs serve themselves and their paymasters - the 5%.

Doctors are standing up for themselves and their patients - thats about 90% of us.

Which seems more democratic to you?

Also rubbish.

MP's serve their parties and their constituents. If they don't, they're ultimately rejected by both groups. The idea that MP's are only serving 5% of "us" is ridiculous.

These doctors are standing up for principles that they believe in. Many people agree with them, many others don't. However, to say that these doctors are standing up for about 90% of "us" is equally ridiculous.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Also rubbish.

MP's serve their parties and their constituents. If they don't, they're ultimately rejected by both groups. The idea that MP's are only serving 5% of "us" is ridiculous.

These doctors are standing up for principles that they believe in. Many people agree with them, many others don't. However, to say that these doctors are standing up for about 90% of "us" is equally ridiculous.

We had a Tory MP who got well below 50% of the total votes cast but the other parties split the centre-left vote.
    He was elected time after time by a significant minority of voters.

If the doctors are representing the vast majority who could not afford private health care and who may well find the NHS less responsive in future it may well equate to 90% of us.

You may well be able to afford private medicine in which case it won't worry you what happens to the N.H.S.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Labour & Lib Dems , did not contest the Tatton seat in 97 leaving the way clear for Martin Bell to unseat Neil Hamilton.

Whenever I think of Martin Bell I ask what difference he made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These doctors are standing up for principles that they believe in.

Principles or ideologies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    We had a Tory MP who got well below 50% of the total votes cast but the other parties split the centre-left vote.
    He was elected time after time by a significant minority of voters.

If the doctors are representing the vast majority who could not afford private health care and who may well find the NHS less responsive in future it may well equate to 90% of us.

You may well be able to afford private medicine in which case it won't worry you what happens to the N.H.S.

A big if. The idea is that the NHS will be more responsive, not less - a fact backed up by more money being put into the NHS. Of course, if you elect your Labour MP that won't be the case and, as has been seen by their performance in Wales, standards are already starting to fall.

In among all the stats constantly being bandied about regarding the NHS this is the one that interests me most. Only 7% of RCGP members voted on the plan for primary care trusts to remain in place, while 41,000 family doctors kept their mouths shut. If the NHS reforms are so unpopular - why, when they were given every opportunity to vote against one of the key aspects - did only a tiny minority choose to do so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wappaho wrote: »
    Principles or ideologies?

The latter informs and shapes the former, doesn't it?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably these doctors aren't centre right in their politics so are going to score points over the only centre right political party in this country how exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also rubbish.

You're half right, they serve their parties who in turn serve big business. Anyone who truly believes that MP's serve the people deserve to be laughed off the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    You're half right, they serve their parties who in turn serve big business. Anyone who truly believes that MP's serve the people deserve to be laughed off the internet.

God, and I thought I was cynical. :D
  • Options
    1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bang goes the coalitions majority in 2015. I hope they consolidate and form one political party that would really shake things up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, and I thought I was cynical. :D

30-odd years ago you would of been partially correct though, old school MP's probably did care about their constituents rather than their financiers. but since the trendy, yuppie style politiburo's slimed their way into politics throughout the 80's you know the likes of Blair, Mandelson, Hague etc, it's never been the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    Bang goes the coalitions majority in 2015. I hope they consolidate and form one political party that would really shake things up.

What would be funny is if The Greens or the Monster Raving Loonies got a majority. The reactionaries on here, dyed in the wool Tories and indeed the establishment would brick it.

If only there was a Jedi party. :p