Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's very interesting. I'm happy to learn about these things sometimes.:)
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly was the landing area for (that was visible from the roof)? "Marine..." something? What is the particular significance of that?

As for Brody, I do like him but I'll be disappointed if he really is just a good guy. I'm still hoping he's going to be more intriguing than that.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    What exactly was the landing area for (that was visible from the roof)? "Marine..." something? What is the particular significance of that?

As for Brody, I do like him but I'll be disappointed if he really is just a good guy. I'm still hoping he's going to be more intriguing than that.
    I'd check on the internet.....;)
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »

Marine One - it's the helicopter equivalent of Air Force One.
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunravin wrote: »
    Having seen the whole season, this was the point where the show lost it for me. It began to get silly and totally implausible.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, I recognize that. However, I need to chime in here.

Silly? Totally implausible? You must have been a joy when The Three Little Pigs, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, etc., were read to you as a child. :rolleyes: I bet reading fictional novels must be torture. The series 24 must have given you headaches. :p

Seriously, you've been pissing on this series from the word go. There is so much going on if you bothered to sit back and absorb what you are watching instead of wasting time picking episodes apart for plausibility. Also, it's a television program and with all tv programs, dramatic licenses will be taken to make it more entertaining which is the point. This has been going on since television began. If I want to know more about the CIA, I'll watch a documentary. I'm smart enough to recognize the difference between the two. :cool:

Finally, I found this series gripping and totally entertaining with some really fantastic performances. I truly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to Season 2.
  • Options
    Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I'd thought you would all be raving about that episode only to read people saying they're disappointed and some were even falling asleep.
    I thought the scenes between Carrie and Brody were very powerful. Exceptional actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Did Saul say the car journey was going to take at least 25 hours? Why would the FBI let him drive Aileen for that long without sleeping? (Or are we supposed to assume they had a break to sleep which wasn't shown?)

Um...did you want to see them making a stop for sleep? :D

It really isn't a big deal to drive for 25 hours. I've done it more than once. You make pit stops along the way to stretch out, freshen up, get something to eat, etc. On a couple of occasions, I've had two to three tagging along with me so we would switch drivers to keep on going. It can be done. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gosh, I'd thought you would all be raving about that episode only to read people saying they're disappointed and some were even falling asleep.
    I thought the scenes between Carrie and Brody were very powerful. Exceptional actually.

I was expecting more from this episode, something big.

I wasn't disappointed by it though, not at all. The show is nicely written with an undercurrent of tension and interesting characters. I've accepted it's a slow burner and am properly taken in with it. I just hope it has a satisfying and perhaps shocking conclusion, I feel like I've earned it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I happened to find this episode excellent on all fronts. Wait until you see the rest. I think that some people don't really focus on what they are watching. I keep on going back to the phrase, short attention span, when I read some of the comments. I don't know what they are looking for, but the pacing, the storylines and the performances keep me totally into it. I think that people just want crazy action all the time which would be way too implausible for this particular series.

Keep on watching and enjoy. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »

I wasn't disappointed by it though, not at all. The show is nicely written with an undercurrent of tension and interesting characters. I've accepted it's a slow burner and am properly taken in with it. I just hope it has a satisfying and perhaps shocking conclusion, I feel like I've earned it.

First off, Hi JD. :) Such as? Personally, I thought the revelation that Walker is still alive was something big. It caught me totally off guard when I first saw the episode.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Saul say the car journey was going to take at least 25 hours? Why would the FBI let him drive Aileen for that long without sleeping? (Or are we supposed to assume they had a break to sleep which wasn't shown?)

Nobody can drive for that amount of time without sleep. Furthermore, their bodyguards appeared to be male, & I was wondering what they would do when Aileen was not only sleeping, but also using the toilet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    First off, Hi JD. :) Such as? Personally, I thought the revelation that Walker is still alive was something big. It caught me totally off guard when I first saw the episode.

Hi!

I was/am expecting something shocking, such as a Beslan style terror attack. Something brutal. Or should I think of Homeland as more in the vein of Spooks where there is threat and tension but disaster is usually averted?

Don't get me wrong, I think the show is absorbing, best thing on TV at the moment and I'm happy for it to take me where it dictates.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we assume they had a sleep, after all we saw them stop for a meal. The series does not have a linear timeline eg the death of Lynne, Carrie and Brody's weekend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, I recognize that. However, I need to chime in here.

Silly? Totally implausible? You must have been a joy when The Three Little Pigs, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, etc., were read to you as a child. :rolleyes: I bet reading fictional novels must be torture. The series 24 must have given you headaches. :p

I found The Three Little Pigs to be somewhat unrealistic, fully of lazy stereotypes with little in the way of plot ;)

As for 24, I actually enjoyed it ofr what it was - fluff but not trying to be anything but. There was no pretension.

Some people think Homeland is "serious drama" and perhaps sneer at those who enjoyed 24.

Homeland started well but became extremely silly
  • Options
    Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm very impressed with the show too. I hope you get your 'something big' moment. :)
    I happened to find this episode excellent on all fronts. Wait until you see the rest. I think that some people don't really focus on what they are watching. I keep on going back to the phrase, short attention span, when I read some of the comments. I don't know what they are looking for, but the pacing, the storylines and the performances keep me totally into it. I think that people just want crazy action all the time which would be way too implausible for this particular series.

Keep on watching and enjoy. :)

I thought the episode was excellent too.
    When Carrie mouthed off at the redneck Aryan neo-Nazi in the bar, I was expecting a Sons of Anarchy style bar brawl.
    I love the edge that Carrie has, whether it arises from drink-fuelled bravado, her barely contained psychotic tendencies, her CIA training or whatever it is that makes her tick, she is one multi-faceted, fascinating character.
    She's the sort of woman I want to see on screen instead of the Sex and the City types that women are supposed to like.
    I felt quite broken for Carrie and Brody at the end of the episode. To find something in each other that they both so desperately needed only to have it ripped away was gut-wrenching to watch.
    I am most encouraged to hear you imply that the show gets even better.
    I will definitely keep watching and enjoying. :)
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Silly? Totally implausible? You must have been a joy when The Three Little Pigs, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, etc., were read to you as a child. :rolleyes: I bet reading fictional novels must be torture. The series 24 must have given early you headaches. :p

24 had a lot of very far fetched elements, but I loved all of them that were in keeping with the programme. Parachuting lesbian bombers - fine, conspiracy guys plotting to overthrow the government fine, nuclear bombs - fine, invasion of the White House fine, but when they made Jack's wife lose her memory for a couple of hours, and had his daughter fight with a cougar - they lost me. They were just unnecessary and silly, like the road trips. Neither were needed to progress either the plot or the relationships.
  • Options
    SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously, you've been pissing on this series from the word go. There is so much going on if you bothered to sit back and absorb what you are watching instead of wasting time picking episodes apart for plausibility. Also, it's a television program and with all tv programs, dramatic licenses will be taken to make it more entertaining which is the point. This has been going on since television began. If I want to know more about the CIA, I'll watch a documentary. I'm smart enough to recognize the difference between the two. :cool:

Finally, I found this series gripping and totally entertaining with some really fantastic performances. I truly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to Season 2.

Such a pleasure to read a post from a like-minded person!

So often people criticise TV or Film for the reasons argued above...drives me mad! Just enjoy it!
  • Options
    J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving Homeland, i think there are elements of it which are a little unbelievable but i use my brain in work all day so when i sit down to watch TV i dont analysis every little element of the story i just let it flow and try not to pick holes as its a pointless exercise, you just have to enjoy the good parts of the show and for me these out weigh the minor plot holes.

I thought the Brody & Carrie scenes were excellent, great how their relationship has developed on a scale which neither expected or realised, i think both actors are doing a great job.
  • Options
    wrighty694wrighty694 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Re the call for Walker three times (I think) at the service, it was quite spooky and appeared to unsettle the congregation but I have it in my mind that there is some tradition about summoning a spirit by calling their name three times... but otoh, I could just have read too much fantasy fiction over the years!

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetleju....... best not eh :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving this series, I dont trust Saul, just me!!??? Jury is still out on the relationship with Carrie and Brodie is it real,? or is she sleeping with him for her job?!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I loved 24, for what it was, total nonsense....but which, was a page turner, you just couldn't wait for the next episode....may have lost it a bit/lot by the the end, but it was still great fun to the end.

With Homeland I was expecting a more classy series, on 'spies' and their work, in the 21st Century. All I've seen up to now, is a very poor substitute for 24, it just has no Back Bone, no real story, to get your teeth into. Yes Brody in a hole for 8 years, could have been a good story, but it's now played out in such a crazy way, with him and Carrie, that I'm finding Aileen's plot, much more interesting, if only Saul wasn't around, how boring is he ....and as for the revelation that Tom is still alive, and up on a Roof, well....laughable in my book.
  • Options
    belfastbobbybelfastbobby Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive seen the complete series, to all those watching , keep on its a cracking series and has loads of twists and turns, dont let the knockers get to you, enjoy the finest series probably since The Wire.

BTW see series 2 of the Wire starts this week on Sky Atlantic , probably the best story series part of the Wire series unmissable TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marine One - it's the helicopter equivalent of Air Force One.

Sounds like it should be the presidential yacht.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After having lived in a dungeon for 8 years, I would've thought that Brody, upon seeing the beautiful setting of the cabin (wow - how lucky is Carrie & her family to have that place at their disposal), would've fell to his knees & got emotional. Poor guy, gets out to find his best mate has been having an 'affair' with his wife, the government thinks he's a terrorist, & he falls for a woman who, it would appear to him at any rate, is part of a 'honey trap'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After having lived in a dungeon for 8 years, I would've thought that Brody, upon seeing the beautiful setting of the cabin (wow - how lucky is Carrie & her family to have that place at their disposal), would've fell to his knees & got emotional. Poor guy, gets out to find his best mate has been having an 'affair' with his wife, the government thinks he's a terrorist, & he falls for a woman who, it would appear to him at any rate, is part of a 'honey trap'.
    And the guy he thought was dead.....isn't. Who's going to tell him.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.