Options

ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big24fan wrote: »
    Wow this time 100 years ago Titanic left Southampton on her maiden voyage. So sad

You could probably see episode 4 before it's transmission on Sunday if you order the DVD/Blu-ray by tomorrow on Play.com, they dispatch so you get your item usually on the Saturday before release.

I suppose that only works if you live in the UK.;)
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big24fan wrote: »
    Wow this time 100 years ago Titanic left Southampton on her maiden voyage. So sad

You could probably see episode 4 before it's transmission on Sunday if you order the DVD/Blu-ray by tomorrow on Play.com, they dispatch so you get your item usually on the Saturday before release.

Pay good money to buy a DVD of that tedious tripe? You are joking! Anyway, the only 'fun' to be had regarding the programme is being on this thread!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I suppose that only works if you live in the UK.;)

Yep sorry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Pay good money to buy a DVD of that tedious tripe? You are joking! Anyway, the only 'fun' to be had regarding the programme is being on this thread!

Well only if you want to buy it, if you haven't enjoyed it I certainly wouldn't recommend wasting your money on it,although both the DVD and Blu-ray come with a commentary, making of, and 60 minute documentary on the sister ships.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, it is so obviously Fellowes himself!

I don't understand why he was getting so stroppy. His script is excrement and people don't like it. Simples.

(And tonight's episode was as risible as ever)

This seems to be quite a new phenomenon, writers joining in with online discussions to defend themselves and respond to viewers' critiques of their work.

Didn't Ben Richards also flit around the forums defending Outcasts when it was panned?

I think that part of the problem is that the people at the top of drama commissioning rely too heavily on the same established writers time and time again. It's almost like they can hide behind their reputations if it all goes wrong with terrible ratings and audience reactions, and the writers are making it easier for them to do so by sticking their heads out to take the flak.

Surely there has to be fresh, untried talent out there that should be given a chance. There probably is but commissioners are likely too cowardly to take a chance on them, even in the face of the evidence that relying on the same writers over and over doesn't always work.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    This seems to be quite a new phenomenon, writers joining in with online discussions to defend themselves and respond to viewers' critiques of their work.

Didn't Ben Richards also flit around the forums defending Outcasts when it was panned?

I think that part of the problem is that the people at the top of drama commissioning rely too heavily on the same established writers time and time again. It's almost like they can hide behind their reputations if it all goes wrong with terrible ratings and audience reactions, and the writers are making it easier for them to do so by sticking their heads out to take the flak.

Surely there has to be fresh, untried talent out there that should be given a chance. There probably is but commissioners are likely too cowardly to take a chance on them, even in the face of the evidence that relying on the same writers over and over doesn't always work.
    You're so right! All the audience research 'gurus' they use ( in the Beeb, even as commissioning editors) as overseers and the constant fear of low audience figures means they are too risk averse to take brave decisions. Fear is a killer of creativity and success imo.
    I could tell you more but won't!.... it's iniquitous and means we will rarely get dramas of any calibre in this country.
    Unless things change drastically!!! (not holding my breath)
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did they lock up the Italians in that small room while the ship was going down. Was that realistic or what? It was a bit pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Why did they lock up the Italians in that small room while the ship was going down. Was that realistic or what? It was a bit pathetic.

seems to have been dramatic licence on the part of the prods according to previous posts
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems to have been dramatic licence on the part of the prods according to previous posts
    A bit uncalled for really.

I think this tv series has been a disaster to be honest. It isn't very realistic or exciting.
  • Options
    Teflon 2Teflon 2 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I'm getting quite concerned now. Has anyone seen the band since episode 1? I thought at first that they were just being considerate and were keeping quite so that the irish couple could have their little "heart to heart" on the boat deck, but this week there's still no sign of them.

Then I thought that maybe they'd just stopped for a quick ciggie, but of course, no one smoked on Titanic.

Does anyone think they maybe played one too many verses of "O Sole mio" and got locked up with the rest of the Italians?
  • Options
    jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there were prisoners still locked up in the brig the Lusitania when she went down , perhaps he lifted it from that story
  • Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first episode and was reading the thread but completely gave up on it, what a terrible terrible series that could of been so good!
    Am curious to see if it has gotten any better though? Is anyone still watching it?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habanala wrote: »
    Is anyone still watching it?

Of course, thats why this thread has over 1300 posts in it.
  • Options
    shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently the gatti waiters were locked up, could be a rumour
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't watched any of it. Sounds like I've had a lucky escape. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Course its an interesting experiment I am waiting for next week to pass judgement but so far IMO it hasn't work the revolving perseptives with the scheduling.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teflon 2 wrote: »
    I'm getting quite concerned now. Has anyone seen the band since episode 1? I thought at first that they were just being considerate and were keeping quite so that the irish couple could have their little "heart to heart" on the boat deck, but this week there's still no sign of them.

Then I thought that maybe they'd just stopped for a quick ciggie, but of course, no one smoked on Titanic.

Does anyone think they maybe played one too many verses of "O Sole mio" and got locked up with the rest of the Italians?

They may well have been eliminated already, not getting enough votes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shya100 wrote: »
    Apparently the gatti waiters were locked up, could be a rumour

unconfirmed rumour; never been proved
  • Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fellowes decision to show anyone imprisoned in the ship is unfortunate considering his snide remarks at the 1997 film where Rose famously weilded her axe to free Jack. He also has TWO ship board romances going on - when he said Titanic was just 'built around a romance'.

Oh dearie me.

I wonder how many who pre ordered the dvd of this mess on the strength of Downton (series 1 at least) have cancelled their purchase?

I bet another countries will tear this to shreds when they witness all the unnecessary shifting from scene to scene and reshowing the same conversation from different angles.

I will watch the last episode in the hope that the Iceberg lives happily ever after.
  • Options
    Teflon 2Teflon 2 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    They may well have been eliminated already, not getting enough votes.

Damn you, Simon Cowell!
  • Options
    jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just on RTE radio about Michael McEvoy the 19 year old Lad from Clough county Laois in Ireland , who eloped on the Titanic with a 35 year old woman ,he drowned she survived
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    Fellowes decision to show anyone imprisoned in the ship is unfortunate considering his snide remarks at the 1997 film where Rose famously weilded her axe to free Jack. He also has TWO ship board romances going on - when he said Titanic was just 'built around a romance'.

Ahem actually its three, and a bit of lust.

Lady Georgina & Widener
    Maid and Paolo
    And apparently Watson and Barnes although apparently that is just two friends realising their feelings for eachother (which is even more tragic really)

And Mary and her snog with Peter.
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    I wonder how many who pre ordered the dvd of this mess on the strength of Downton (series 1 at least) have cancelled their purchase?

I bet another countries will tear this to shreds when they witness all the unnecessary shifting from scene to scene and reshowing the same conversation from different angles.

I will watch the last episode in the hope that the Iceberg lives happily ever after.

nah I think it is quite interesting, it is well written and well acted, and it just seems an experiment that so far doesn't appear as if it has come off.

There are two versions a chronological one told in two episodes and the one we have, many countries bought the two episode one.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj2 wrote: »
    It was just on RTE radio about Michael McEvoy the 19 year old Lad from Clough county Laois in Ireland , who eloped on the Titanic with a 35 year old woman ,he drowned she survived

Do you reckin they were the basis for Jack and Rose because to me when i seen Titanic all those many years ago Kate Winslet looked way older than Leonardo Di Caprio. I remember thinking, Oh! Kate leave that kid alone he is too young for you.:D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you reckin they were the basis for Jack and Rose because to me when i seen Titanic all those many years ago Kate Winslet looked way older than Leonardo Di Caprio. I remember thinking, Oh! Kate leave that kid alone he is too young for you.:D;)

I hate that about some men and women. where the woman who is the same age looks alot older. Kate is actually a year younger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shya100 wrote: »
    Ahem actually its three, and a bit of lust.

Lady Georgina & Widener
    Maid and Paolo
    And apparently Watson and Barnes although apparently that is just two friends realising their feelings for eachother (which is even more tragic really)

And Mary and her snog with Peter.

He's done the romance all wrong. The cute maid should forget about the waiter and get it on with Lady Georgiana.