Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally I get irritated by Sahira heavy episodes but seeing as she is leaving next week and its all leading up to that, I could take it. My goodness, that girl loves to have her ego stroked!! Whether its Hanssen telling her she is a genius or Greg looking at her adoringly in theatre and telling her she is brilliant -:yawn:
    The only one who sees her warts and all is Rafi, and that is why she belongs with him. She has made the right choice, both for her marriage and her career.
    Thank goodness we won't have to see her swanning into theatre, dipping her hand into the patient's chest, twiddling around for avout 20 seconds and saving the day when all hope was lost, for much longer.

I love Tara! I think she is a breath of fresh air, and I love her and Frieda together. I loved the morgue joke especially. I can live with the toilet scenes but please, no more peeing :eek:

As for Luc, I thought he was very forgiving over the thrashed caravan, the brother is annoying and need to go soon. Eddi is calmer these days and its a big improvement.

I was literally shouting at the tv at the end of the episode "please don't let him be crying!" I really could not stand seeing the Swedish Scapel reduced to a quivering wreck. Let this be the end of it, and let him go back to sweeping through the corridors majestically keeping everything ship shape and putting terror in the hearts of his subjects :D
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how many times do we see the whole yawn Greg sahira stuff where their beeper go off especially hers. Still think there's something to come out next week and you have permission to tell me I'm a buffoon if I got it wrong about her being his daughter. Maybe she's the daugher he always wanted or maybe, because we don't know about his background, he lost a daughter. The whole Eddi palming her annoying brother off onto the talented Lou is annoying. Last night's episode ok but it's all becoming really predictable now.I think they really need to get away from consultants, in particular, having time to spend on family/patient issues because it just wouldn't happen. Still not liking Tara, still can't stand her voice and if they had to bring in a new trainee doctor, is she really the best they could do?

She can't be his daughter, there's only about 9 or 10 years between them. Unless Sahira is supposed to be a lot younger than Laila Rouass.

Sahira spoils every episode for me at the moment, and when she rushed in to save the day last night, I had to switch over:mad: Jac is the consultant, she's Smughira's boss, are we suddenly supposed to believe that Jac is useless at her job:rolleyes:
  • Options
    kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    BinCat wrote: »
    She can't be his daughter, there's only about 9 or 10 years between them. Unless Sahira is supposed to be a lot younger than Laila Rouass.

Sahira spoils every episode for me at the moment, and when she rushed in to save the day last night, I had to switch over:mad: Jac is the consultant, she's Smughira's boss, are we suddenly supposed to believe that Jac is useless at her job:rolleyes:

IIRC, Sahira was up for the post but was late for interview saving someones life LOL. So Jac got the job by default. Anyway Sahira Shah consultant just doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

As for the scenes in the toilets, anyone working on a busy ward knows that this is the only place to get a couple of minutes respite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    OMG I haven't been so happy to see a character say they are leaving in years. I almost yelled with joy when she said it. Good bye to Saint Sahira and her screenhogging, only one more week :) Now to get rid of Greg and Luc and Holby would have a very watchable set of characters. And I wouldn't have to fast forward any scenes.

I think Frida and Tara have a similar dymanic as Frida/Penny. Not quite as good, but entertaining. I really do think Frida is much better in scenes with the female characters than any of the male characters, except maybe Malick. She just has better chemistry with women and gay men lol. I enjoy those scenes of her so much more than with other characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    OMG I haven't been so happy to see a character say they are leaving in years. I almost yelled with joy when she said it. Good bye to Saint Sahira and her screenhogging, only one more week :)Now to get rid of Greg and Luc and Holby would have a very watchable set of characters. And I wouldn't have to fast forward any scenes.

I think Frida and Tara have a similar dymanic as Frida/Penny. Not quite as good, but entertaining. I really do think Frida is much better in scenes with the female characters than any of the male characters, except maybe Malick. She just has better chemistry with women and gay men lol. I enjoy those scenes of her so much more than with other characters.

I actually quite like Luc!! :D
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love Tara! I think she is a breath of fresh air

I don't.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,264
    Forum Member
    Eden11 wrote: »
    So in nearly every episode Sahira has a massive breakdown during surgery and has to be talked down by Hanssen, Jac, Greg and even Michael once. And yet suddenly she's so brilliant and can do stuff Jac can't? It’s rather contrived. Wish the writers would stop insisting she's brilliant and acknowledge her flaws.

I was just as confused last episode when Jac got to take some of the work from Sahira. But Jac was already the consultant on the trauma unit already so it already was her responsibility.

I agree with all of this. She is always getting hysterical in theatre before being calmed down, usually by having someone else stroke her ego, telling her how wonderful she is and she is the only person that could do it etc before completing the operation. Even if she needs the adrenelin rush or something, it strikes me it must be very offputting to everyone else having to work alongside her like F1s, scrub nurses etc.

Her 'better than everybody else - how dare they take prestigious work away from me' attitude to nearly everyone, Jac especially really gets on my wick. That line last night "I've been bumped for Jac". Excuse me, the ultimate boss has made a decision that he would prefer to have your supervising Consultant in theatre than you. She is your manager with more experience - she would have had a right to bump you herself! Can you imagine any other Registrar getting away with talking about their Consultant like that - Malick, Sacha or Luc complaining about Ric, Alex or Michael taking over a case or Sam or Joseph re Connie or Elliot? Even if Sahira has no personal respect for Jac, she should maintain professional courtesy - whether she likes it or nor, Jac is senior to her.

As for the argument that Jac got the job by default. We don't actually know that. The board, which was not just made up of Hansenn, might have interviewed both and still decided to award the post to Jac who after all had several years experience at the hospital and had already acted up as a Locum Consultant on 2 previous occasions. And who also (not that this should matter but unfortunately a lot of the time it does to interviewing panels) does not have home life commitments which could get in the way of her giving everything to the post. . This is the issue though, Sahira just assumes that she would have got it so can treat Jac like dirt. :mad: And also boss Greg around, as far as I was aware they are equals aren't they? You wouldn't think so the way she addresses him re work issues a lot of the time - and she's supposed to like him!
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be the longest drawn out leaving in the history of TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kat1985 wrote: »
    I actually quite like Luc!! :D

I don't. He basically puts me to sleep in his scenes, I fast forward most of them to save myself :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »

I know, it seems to be neverending:(

I don't know if i can stand to watch next week, i might skip it and have a look on iplayer, so i can ff the Sahira bits. Why couldn't she just have left last night:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Normally I get irritated by Sahira heavy episodes but seeing as she is leaving next week and its all leading up to that, I could take it. My goodness, that girl loves to have her ego stroked!! Whether its Hanssen telling her she is a genius or Greg looking at her adoringly in theatre and telling her she is brilliant -:yawn:
    The only one who sees her warts and all is Rafi, and that is why she belongs with him. She has made the right choice, both for her marriage and her career.
    Thank goodness we won't have to see her swanning into theatre, dipping her hand into the patient's chest, twiddling around for avout 20 seconds and saving the day when all hope was lost, for much longer.

I love Tara! I think she is a breath of fresh air, and I love her and Frieda together. I loved the morgue joke especially. I can live with the toilet scenes but please, no more peeing :eek:

As for Luc, I thought he was very forgiving over the thrashed caravan, the brother is annoying and need to go soon. Eddi is calmer these days and its a big improvement.

I was literally shouting at the tv at the end of the episode "please don't let him be crying!" I really could not stand seeing the Swedish Scapel reduced to a quivering wreck. Let this be the end of it, and let him go back to sweeping through the corridors majestically keeping everything ship shape and putting terror in the hearts of his subjects :D

Amen to that!

Having seen that clip for next week I am still worried we will be getting Sadface Hanssen though. I really want him to berate her for how ungrateful she is, but I'd be happy with him just calling her a cab :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know, it seems to be neverending:(

I don't know if i can stand to watch next week, i might skip it and have a look on iplayer, so i can ff the Sahira bits. Why couldn't she just have left last night:mad:

Do what I do. I record it and then start watching 30 minutes behind the live airing. That way I can fast forward any Sahira/Greg/Luc scenes if they don't look interesting. It honestly does make Holby easier to watch, and it makes it less frustrating having to sit through scenes that don't interest you. I can just watch what I am interested in, and it means you finish the episode about the time it finshes on the BBC.

I have to do this anyway as I watch Pobol y Cwm on S4C and that doesn't finish till 8.25 pm. So it's win win for me :D
  • Options
    kenny7kenny7 Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sahira's still in it next week? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kenny7 wrote: »
    Sahira's still in it next week? :(

Yes but we're all having a goodbye party for her on this thread, lets all hang out the bunting and bring something sparkly to the party!! :p
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »

Didn't Michael resign ages ago only to be told he has to work his seemingly never-ending notice period? Or is he staying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do what I do. I record it and then start watching 30 minutes behind the live airing. That way I can fast forward any Sahira/Greg/Luc scenes if they don't look interesting. It honestly does make Holby easier to watch, and it makes it less frustrating having to sit through scenes that don't interest you. I can just watch what I am interested in, and it means you finish the episode about the time it finshes on the BBC.

I have to do this anyway as I watch Pobol y Cwm on S4C and that doesn't finish till 8.25 pm. So it's win win for me :D

I don't have that facility on my telly, only regular Freeview:(

Tbh, it's only really Sahira's storyline hogging that I've wanted to miss, and the Eddi/Josh story last year, that annoyed me too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have that facility on my telly, only regular Freeview:(

Tbh, it's only really Sahira's storyline hogging that I've wanted to miss, and the Eddi/Josh story last year, that annoyed me too.

Please come along to the goodbye party we'll be holding next week......bring a bottle!! :D
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,264
    Forum Member
    Please come along to the goodbye party we'll be holding next week......bring a bottle!! :D

I've been bringing a bottle (more than one actually) to every Sahira episode for the last 9 months - which let's face it is nearly all of them to try and make the pain go away.
    The hangover each Wednesday morning has not been funny. One last splurge in celebration next week, then hopefully my alcohol intake will go down :cool:

I'm still hopeful that Hansenn will set her free from his window in the same way he did his last pet, the bird, and she will go crashing down onto the tarmac when she discovers her 'singular ability' does not include the ability to fly ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Deffo, I can't wait:D

Seriously, I can't remember disliking a character this much pretty much ever, I drive my OH mental with my groans and gnashing of teeth when I hear her whiny voice and see her unhygenic (yet admittedly lovely) hair dangling all over her poor patients, so he'll be glad when she's buggered off too:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I've been bringing a bottle (more than one actually) to every Sahira episode for the last 9 months - which let's face it is nearly all of them to try and make the pain go away.
    The hangover each Wednesday morning has not been funny. One last splurge in celebration next week, then hopefully my alcohol intake will go down :cool:

I'm still hopeful that Hansenn will set her free from his window in the same way he did his last pet, the bird, and she will go crashing down onto the tarmac when she discovers her 'singular ability' does not include the ability to fly ;)

I have to say I have been much the same, Tuesday = Hobly night = wine night to get me through it!! Oh dear, we're a bunch of winos!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member

Speaking of Sahira. When she introduced herself to the patient at the warehouse did anyone think/want her to say "I'm Sahira Shah, the registrar?!" I was a tad disappointment when she just went with I'm Sahira Shah, Cardio....blah blah blah!" :D

YES!!! :D:D I was actually waiting for her to say it!
    I really do think Frida is much better in scenes with the female characters than any of the male characters, except maybe Malick. She just has better chemistry with women and gay men lol. I enjoy those scenes of her so much more than with other characters.

Malick...and Michael. Especially Michael, and I don't just mean as a potential love interest. Their scenes are brilliant.
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

I nearly just spat out my drink reading that :D:D
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously, I can't remember disliking a character this much pretty much ever, I drive my OH mental with my groans and gnashing of teeth when I hear her whiny voice and see her unhygenic (yet admittedly lovely) hair dangling all over her poor patients, so he'll be glad when she's buggered off too:D

Holby-wise, the last time I got all "ARGH! I wish they'd just get lost :mad:" was with Faye. She annoyed the hell out of me with the Linden saga.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad she is going, just want Greg to be off and I will be happy. I have to say that I am not liking Tara either.

I want more Freida, the way she was, all sassy and showing them all how it's done. More Mallick, more Spence, more Elliot, more Sasha, more Ric and more Hansen. Those are the characters who make the show for me.

Less Edie, less of her silly brother, less Chrissie and less Tara.

In the middle for me are Chantelle, Ollie, Luc and Jac.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sej1986 wrote: »
    YES!!! :D:D I was actually waiting for her to say it!

Malick...and Michael. Especially Michael, and I don't just mean as a potential love interest. Their scenes are brilliant.

Michael has that chem with everyone. Frieda has special chemistry with the girls and Malick IMO.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Sahira leaves on 17th April, so Yay!!

I was worried if they'd kept her any longer they might have ruined the wonderful Hanssen like they ruined the Greg character.
    Oh my goodness, they so have. When he started as a womaniser, he had potential for some decent storylines, but what they've done with him is near enough to character assassination!
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    So Sahira steps in and saves the patient yet again :rolleyes:
    The writers have had her down as a Superwoman from when she started. I wouldn't be surprised if she tears open her overalls next week to reveal a large S on her chest.
    Yes but we're all having a goodbye party for her on this thread, lets all hang out the bunting and bring something sparkly to the party!! :p
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.