Options

Muslims - Do You Eat Haribo's?

Comments

• Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am SO glad I don't believe in any religion and can eat what I like, and not what some book says I can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    its each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its each to their own.

It's as much a matter of convenience as anything else really.
    It means I can go into any shop and buy anything that gives me sustenance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who'd wanna eat Haribo's anyway. They're foul!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    what's this gotta do with muslims? that's like asking a christian if they work on the sabath. haribo contains gelatin. if you don't eat it, you don't eat haribo. various religions say you shouldn't eat animal produce of varying types. christianity says you shouldn't work on the sabbath. personal choice, ain't it? although the law in england forbids the latter in excessive amounts. no doubt there's countries that forbid various forms of gelatin too. i wanna know if you can eat caribou?
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am SO glad I don't believe in any religion and can eat what I like, and not what some book says I can.
    I am with you on this one matey , no religion is going to dictate to me what I eat or drink
  • Options
    My name is AdamMy name is Adam Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    *Em* wrote: »
    I am a bit baffled.

I've always been a lover of Haribo sweets and other similar products - my ex who's a Muslim would eat them with me.

Now, he wasn't a particularly 'good' Muslim but he would only ever eat Halal food, if I was eating a meal which wasn't Halal, he would make something else.

Would you as a Muslim eat Haribo sweets?

I've just been reading that in some places Halal Haribo's are now on sale...:eek: Does this mean that prior to these been on sale, any Muslim who eats 'Haram' Haribo's are going against their faith and does it bother you?

Here is the link.

I'm glad to hear he is your ex and you did not marry into his cult and convert to Islam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what's this gotta do with muslims? that's like asking a christian if they work on the sabath. haribo contains gelatin. if you don't eat it, you don't eat haribo. various religions say you shouldn't eat animal produce of varying types. christianity says you shouldn't work on the sabbath. personal choice, ain't it? although the law in england forbids the latter in excessive amounts. no doubt there's countries that forbid various forms of gelatin too. i wanna know if you can eat caribou?

Don't see why not.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    There is a couple of christian girls at my work who didnt actually know that the bible forbids pork. It was only when they told me they were gonna stop eating pork as they read it is dirty animal etc that I then told them that it was forbidden in the bible and some christians do not eat it. Now they have read it for themselves and have stopped eating pork.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    i used to work with a few mormons and we had it inserted into their contracts that they wouldnt work sundays as its against their beliefs and they were quite strict about it. they were just as strict on alot of things as are jehovahs witnesses
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Halal Haribo products produced in Haribo's factory in Turkey are made with beef gelatin and are certified HALAL. Many more Haribo products at HalalHaribo.com
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Muslim and I don't eat Haribos. Wow big deal. :eek:
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinJ wrote: »
    Did you know, all photographic film contains gelatine?

That's one for you veggies/Muslims to consider next time you take your holiday snaps down to Jessops.
    this lot are living in the 18th century ! a pathetic bunch of weirdos and religious bigots..
    They need to wakeup in the real world as we dont want them here...
  • Options
    15Million℃15Million℃ Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this lot are living in the 18th century ! a pathetic bunch of weirdos and religious bigots..

Well you have just time travelled to (or from) 2007 :D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Vegetarians? :confused:
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Sezer07 wrote: »
    According to extreme muslim they believe haram food are not clean.. Me and my family are a believer of God and alway obey and love him. Praying to God is a neccessary thing rather than doing the silly choice of law like do not eat haram, alcohol is against islamic , taking a picture of urself is haram, Dancing, watching tv and listening to music is haram according to extreme muslim..

Bit of a contradiction picking and choosing what rules suit you? Depends of your version of extreme. If the quran says haram food and alcohol is forbidden, some might find it extreme, others acceptable.
  • Options
    bloggiebloggie Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I saw these Halal and kosher Haribo sweets in Morrisons, as a veggie I may try them, it's certainly nice to have soft sweets I can actually eat..

Halal doesn't mean vegetarian.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halal Haribo products produced in Haribo's factory in Turkey are made with beef gelatin and are certified HALAL. Many more Haribo products at HalalHaribo.com

Is this an example of halal spam?
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    bloggie wrote: »
    Halal doesn't mean vegetarian.

I know that, I'm well aware that Halal sweets may have beef gelatine in them, but those sweets I was referring to had no gelatine in them therefore I could eat them.
  • Options
    bloggiebloggie Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I know that, I'm well aware that Halal sweets may have beef gelatine in them, but those sweets I was referring to had no gelatine in them therefore I could eat them.

Fair enough. I was going by this link which is definitely not vegetarian.
    http://www.halalgelatine.com/
    I think guar gum is one vegetarian alternative ingredient.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Bit of a contradiction picking and choosing what rules suit you? Depends of your version of extreme. If the quran says haram food and alcohol is forbidden, some might find it extreme, others acceptable.

Not really you could apply the same rules to chistianity. Christians choose not to observe the commandments on a daily basis, dosent make them bad christians because they might have put a fiver each way on the Grand national or think next doors wife is hot.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    Not really you could apply the same rules to chistianity. Christians choose not to observe the commandments on a daily basis, dosent make them bad christians because they might have put a fiver each way on the Grand national or think next doors wife is hot.:rolleyes:

Christianity has many Bibles where it has different rulesets.

Whereas Islam has only 1 holy book which is claimed to be the word of God, it just seems strange the previous user (being a muslim themselves) criticised a rule.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massagatae wrote: »
    Some people actually think that Mcdonalds and KFC (im not criticising a previous poster, thats his personal choice) are Halal. They are mainly arabs.

We grow up with these weird stereotypes that Arabs are better Muslims and more knowledgable, yet they seem so ignorant about dietry laws. They use a term kul Halal, i think its that. Which means i think everythings Halal.

The 2 main reasons are apparently these are owned by jews, therefore Kosher, OR secondly its only Chicken or Beef.

There are quite a few Halal KFC these days http://kfc.co.uk/about-kfc/halal

Trialing it where theres demand.
    I used to work in a 'normal' kfc, but a lot of the staff there was of muslim background and not bothered by it.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I posted a thread on this topic previously:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1427922

Tangerine Foods who make a lot of these type of sweets use Halal gelatine.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    What kind of a god cares about the type of sweets people eat? Do you go to hell for eating the wrong kind? On a scale of 1 to 10, where is the eating of sweets to be placed in order of importance, as far as god is concerned?

Yet again, I'm very glad I'm an atheist. :D

Oh Lordie, me too. Imagine having to vet every sweet. :eek: