Options

Brendan Brady (Emmett J. Scanlan) Fan Thread! (Part 106)

Comments

• Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weirdly I've never viewed him as a Dec replacement, even though ES said he is. I don't think Brendan would ever, ever want Declan to do the things he's made Joel do.

I've always seen him as more of a way for Brendan to sculpt him into a mini him, rather than a son.

Oh see, I've always told myself there was an element of him replacing Dec, because, like, it was the only way I could justify it.

I don't think it's quite like he wanted a son figure but more like, he liked Joel looking up to him the way that Dec did. But without him having to worry about emotionally destroying Joel as he did with Declan. Except now he's let himself become a bit attached to Joel too.

The whole facade of "Oi don't need anyone"!Brendan is kinda fading. He does.
    tezzabobs wrote: »
    Well it killed them to bother with any Stug build up, so yes. ;)

Point. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minty is the life and soul of a party. :(

DIRK SELLS DRUGS AND EATS PUPPIES.

Oh he'll either be an embarrassing dad stereotype or just an outright tw*t. It's HO, he's bald and over thirty, there's only two options for him. ;)

That's Walker, love. Sometimes, he sprinkles the drugs over the puppies, gives it flavoring, innit.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the family that lost six children in a fire recently brought it on themselves because they had loads of kids and claimed benefits.

It was an accident waiting to happen, arson isn't an accident as far as I'm aware.

Stupid, vicious, thoughtless piece of shit she is.
  • Options
    misssdorianmisssdorian Posts: 12,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Oh why did I look MrL, why, why, why?

I am condoning violence on Carole Malone right now. :mad:

I have no idea who this Carole Malone is but what a F*cking bitch...:(
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Mm that's why I haven't watched much of it. I don't rate Brendan/Walker and the whole Broel thing doesn't ring true to me whatsoever. :o

Yeah that's my issue too. It's ruined the Walker plot a bit for me because the whole Joel plot has been terrible and doesn't work for me.

If it leads to Walker actually hurting the people who matter to Brendan and we see more mind games then fine but I'm not getting this really. Even if I say to myself "Okay Brendan wanted a mini me errand boy" - I still don't think it works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,996
    Forum Member
    Oh see, I've always told myself there was an element of him replacing Dec, because, like, it was the only way I could justify it.

I don't think it's quite like he wanted a son figure but more like, he liked Joel looking up to him the way that Dec did. But without him having to worry about emotionally destroying Joel as he did with Declan. Except now he's let himself become a bit attached to Joel too.

Now we really need to see the element of Ste in Brendan's life. It'll be the last straw. Now I'm really curious as to how they will unveil Ste to Walker...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the family that lost six children in a fire recently brought it on themselves because they had loads of kids and claimed benefits.

It was an accident waiting to happen, arson isn't an accident as far as I'm aware.

:eek:

I'm actually speechless.

What a vile, vile thing to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45,402
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Yeah that's my issue too. It's ruined the Walker plot a bit for me because the whole Joel plot has been terrible and doesn't work for me.

If it leads to Walker actually hurting the people who matter to Brendan and we see more mind games then fine but I'm not getting this really. Even if I say to myself "Okay Brendan wanted a mini me errand boy" - I still don't think it works.

Yeah, no, same. Any way I try to spin it, I just can't enjoy it and it's been like that ever since Joel returned and Brendan went from loathing him, to now .. what, loving him like he was his own?!

It's just a load of rubbish, really, and I don't really like that it's obviously becoming part of Brendan's life, rather than just a plot to get him from A to B. :sleep:
  • Options
    AnotherSarahAnotherSarah Posts: 41,909
    Forum Member
    I know we have issues with Eddy Marshall's direction, but he (or she?) is good at filling the screen with the face of an actor and just letting them act.
  • Options
    Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member

Yes, that makes more sense to me. Because as much as he loves his kids, he's never been the most natural father in his interactions with Declan. He was constantly just paying him to go away, twisting his mind or upsetting him. :( So I guess Joel was his way of not having to worry about that, and having that power and control.

BIB - I love this. Like Sarah said, I'm so glad they're exploring it in more depth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought that was a lovely touch. Really nice that they remembered that Ste and Josh had a long history.

She even told him to talk to Rhys. I almost fainted with the continuity ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckmoo wrote: »
    That's Walker, love. Sometimes, he sprinkles the drugs over the puppies, gives it flavoring, innit.

No, only human flesh for Walker. He has a refined palate. :cool:

Disgusting woman.

Not remotely surprised.
    Now we really need to see the element of Ste in Brendan's life. It'll be the last straw. Now I'm really curious as to how they will unveil Ste to Walker...

I'm not sure how they can. Because, like, they won't be kissing or anything (:cry:) any time soon, so unless he eavesdrops? But even then, that would require Brendan and Ste discussing feelings and when do they ever do that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45,402
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how they can. Because, like, they won't be kissing or anything (:cry:) any time soon, so unless he eavesdrops? But even then, that would require Brendan and Ste discussing feelings and when do they ever do that?

Or someone could talk to Brendan about Ste. Like Cheryl. She always kinda got it.

Another thing which I find incredibly unlikely but it's more likely than Brendan and Ste talking. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh looking at the HO Facebook page and seeing the comments on their most recent picture is quite a laugh. It seems most people on FB have either a love or hate feeling towards Joel.

My personal favorite: Hope Joel dies. He's an irritating obnoxious tw*t. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know we have issues with Eddy Marshall's direction, but he (or she?) is good at filling the screen with the face of an actor and just letting them act.

True.

Again there was too much music and then a big zoom onto Brendan's face when he shouted which I didn't like, but no slowmo annoyances tonight :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She even told him to talk to Rhys. I almost fainted with the continuity ;)

This whole weeks been pretty impressive when it comes to that.

I can imagine him just sensing something between them (if he knows he's gay, that is. Which I'm guessing he does.) He seems perceptive and intelligent. I think he'd think their interactions are a bit odd, perhaps. And put two and two together after some probing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's his effects that ruin it for me. He goes between great simplicity and film school faff.

How many has he directed this week? Because I liked the directing until yesterday.
    Yes, that makes more sense to me. Because as much as he loves his kids, he's never been the most natural father in his interactions with Declan. He was constantly just paying him to go away, twisting his mind or upsetting him. :( So I guess Joel was his way of not having to worry about that, and having that power and control.

Except the problem is, he does now give a damn and history is repeating in a way. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member

Unless of course Brendan goes to talk to Cheryl, because we all know he clearly cares about Cheryl more than any almost anyone, so possibly when he's talking to her, she brings Ste up, and Walker happens to be eave-dropping like the creep he is.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that they told us that they filmed a scene together recently, I hope that isn't it mind, I'm a bit worried that the only way they can avoid having to make Brendan react to Stug is just to have them not be onscreen at the same time until they are ready to deal with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh looking at the HO Facebook page and seeing the comments on their most recent picture is quite a laugh. It seems most people on FB have either a love or hate feeling towards Joel.

My personal favorite: Hope Joel dies. He's an irritating obnoxious ****. :p

Well, he is an irritating, obnoxious ****, but he's my irritating, obnoxious ****. ;)
  • Options
    AnotherSarahAnotherSarah Posts: 41,909
    Forum Member
    I imagine Walker will hear something about Brendan and Ste, rather than witnessing something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of the direction this week has been great (almost like Sean Glynn), and then others just awful, with the effects.
    Except the problem is, he does now give a damn and history is repeating in a way. :o

Poor Brendan. It's tragic, really. He's doomed to repeat the same cycle unless something finally changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or someone could talk to Brendan about Ste. Like Cheryl. She always kinda got it.

Another thing which I find incredibly unlikely but it's more likely than Brendan and Ste talking. ;)

Ha, yes! Point, again. ;)

Plus Bronagh said her scripts were "Stendan-y" so you never know...

My personal favorite: Hope Joel dies. He's an irritating obnoxious ****. :p

Oh Joely. :(
    True.

Again there was too much music and then a big zoom onto Brendan's face when he shouted which I didn't like, but no slowmo annoyances tonight :D.

BIB: It was the laughter that did it for me.

Reminded me of Carrie and not in a good way.
  • Options
    callmemaybecallmemaybe Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish they had done the Brendan/Joel build-up better.

Less time faffing about with cocktails and Joel running the club, more time exploring why Brendan wanted him around. ES told me I was right when I said he was a Dec replacement, but like, would it have killed Cheryl to say, when Joel moved in, "Bren, you can't just replace Declan, you know. You have to work things out with him" and Brendan ignoring her?

They woz right about us. :(

Yea, I think if they showed them more "bonding" rather than Joel saying he owns half a club and Brendan playing with him it would have been more..believable. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plus Bronagh said her scripts were "Stendan-y" so you never know...

Ooh, that's very true.

In fact, I'm sure the Cheryl/Stendan stuff should be coming up this week, with her mentioning them?

Very interesting.
This discussion has been closed.