Options

The Bridge BBC4 (UK pace) No spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Was generally okay but I won't be bothering with season 2, the Killers motive was soo bloody weak, all the nonsense to make a point. He could have easily achieved all that rubbish my kidnapping his family earlier on. The innocent people he killed earlier on he didn't have any excuses for them? All that rammbling on about justice and being equal etc was just a decoy because he wasn't really looking to lecture people. He just wanted revenge, it was as if Martin had the law on his side etc; when he cheated on the killer wifes.
    Bob wrote: »
    It's a shame the Brits can't write drama of the quality that the Scandanavians can. A gripping and intelligent programme. Loved it.
    Sherlock is probably the best tv series ever made along with the likes of Breaking Bad and The wire.
    BBC have also had several good shows people don't bother watching, Inside Men, SIlk and shows like Luther were also above this.
  • Options
    DM AndyDM Andy Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that was weird. I would say he was definitely lying down when we saw him in there. That was a bit of a boob I think. I will go back and look too.

edit - yes it's at 21.00 and he definitely doesn't look like he's standing in the box.
    Might he have been put in the wall head down?
  • Options
    Sundance KidSundance Kid Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    am i the only one who didnt think there was anymore to Charlotte's wig? I never thought it was meant to be a disguise, just thought she wore it out of vanity
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that was weird. I would say he was definitely lying down when we saw him in there. That was a bit of a boob I think. I will go back and look too.

edit - yes it's at 21.00 and he definitely doesn't look like he's standing in the box.

You beat me to it!!! :cry:

I watched it again and he must have been levitating at that point. 21 minutes in as you say. It took me a while to find it.
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    the Killers motive was soo bloody weak, all the nonsense to make a point.

I agree with that criticism but to me it was the two main characters that made the show.

Can't wait to see how they develop in series 2.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM Andy wrote: »
    Might he have been put in the wall head down?

He didn't look like he was upside down. He looked like he was lying horizontally. Of course, he was that way in the picture but his body language didn't look like he was vertical, either up or down.
  • Options
    MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this series.
    When Saga opened the cutlery drawer and you saw the "strange object" and then the cement/plaster in the sink I thought she would do a double take straight away but then I suppose August would have been found alive and so would have been a worse ending in my opinion.
    Also thought that was some quick drying/plaster cement. If August had been put in the box from above surely Saga would have found some evidence in the house as they searched it several times ??
    When you saw shots of August in the box in the background there was daylight that kept "going on &off". I initially thought he must be below the Bridge and it was traffic going past. When Saga was walking up and down the Arrow Slit window was above her head so don't see what was changing the way the light entered the chamber - poetic license I suppose !!
  • Options
    linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Scars explained

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/may/12/bridge-sofia-helin-saga-interview

I am not sure whether an explanation of the scars above Sofia's mouth has been on here before.
  • Options
    linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    am i the only one who didnt think there was anymore to Charlotte's wig? I never thought it was meant to be a disguise, just thought she wore it out of vanity

Charlotte's Wig - it could have a series all of its own:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Enough open ended situations to go forward into series two and as I thought, Saga continued to grow very fond of Martin and that she did go out on a limb to not necessarily save him, perhaps too obvious, but save his career and freedom. Loved the way she just put her hand on his hand in the car, when he began to brrakdown and again the extent of the unmentioned bond at the end in hospital. But he did get her to admit she missed him when he didn't stay at hers. She cancelled her complaint against him, as much about what she has learnt from him and the emotions demonstrated as she shed the tear for Hans leaving. Just made me love her more.

Whilst Martin taught her how to lie, he knew that he could ask her to state the full lie otherwise she would cave and she did. Thought it was strange she managed not to tell the team of Martin and Jens wife, particularly after she knew Martin had told Mette. Saga must have taken and hidden the boxes with Mikaela's things, where the diary gave the game away. The team were struggling and she again remained loyal. Was shocked when she was shot by Jens, but clever in playing dead, still using her determination to get up and note the car and enough of the reg no, before the weird eye roll and collapse.

Overall, it's been unmissable viewing and will continue to wonder how the two forces and importantly, Saga and Martin be teamed together again. With Hans off, doubt Martin would move to Malmo, even if Mette divorces him and would he be considered for the job? Come what may it's going to be a hard series to repeat and take forward, but Saga is wonderful and should remain the way we love her being, although, the conversations after her interaction education, were often priceless comedy and should continue here and there.

Agree with all this. I found the acting in the scene on the bridge, where Saga was unable to lie to Martin, so powerful and emotional that I had tears in my eyes. Saga is a wonderful character, beautifully portrayed.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was generally okay but I won't be bothering with season 2, the Killers motive was soo bloody weak, all the nonsense to make a point. He could have easily achieved all that rubbish my kidnapping his family earlier on. The innocent people he killed earlier on he didn't have any excuses for them? All that rammbling on about justice and being equal etc was just a decoy because he wasn't really looking to lecture people. He just wanted revenge, it was as if Martin had the law on his side etc; when he cheated on the killer wifes.

He did have a revenge motive for killing the other victims though; it wasn't just Martin he was angry with. Have people actually been paying attention to the episodes?! Read this blog and it tells you what his problems were with Ekwall, Henning Tholstrup etc:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/may/12/the-bridge-season-one-episodes-seven-eight
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Surely August would have told him.
    Agree. I just see that scene in a new light that's all.
    He tried, and thought he'd succeeded, but his bullet happened to miss vital organs.
    It was more that the distance the police were shot at on the roof was much greater than the distance to Saga out side the house and the dead police there seemed to be shot through the head.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linfran wrote: »
    Scars explained

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/may/12/bridge-sofia-helin-saga-interview

I am not sure whether an explanation of the scars above Sofia's mouth has been on here before.

Good interview. And some interesting additional information there - like a second series plus an English language remake between the UK and France (to be called "The Tunnel" possibly?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't BBC4 show Abigail's party a while back? Seems that they make the rules up as they go along. Nothing wrong with vintage drama as long as it's not too fuzzy.

It was part of a celebration of Alison Steadman so was shown as part of that. They often show older stuff as part of a series/celebration...
    …The innocent people he killed earlier on he didn't have any excuses for them? All that rammbling on about justice and being equal etc was just a decoy because he wasn't really looking to lecture people. He just wanted revenge, it was as if Martin had the law on his side etc; when he cheated on the killer wifes….
    There have been several storylines elsewhere where you hide killing ‘the one’ amongst a load of innocents to put cops off the trail…

There was a gap between his head and the ‘top’ of the box (coffin…) that was also there when he was kicking the ‘bottom’… There was space enough so the box could have been laid down on its side (so it would have been parallel to the freezer)…

And the big mystery – Charlotte’s wig… Maybe simply good girl/bad girl dressing…
    I always wondered what happened to the druggie’s woman and kids taken to the abandoned house… or was that just so we would know what a good guy he was

So if you had to shoot someone - but NOT kill them - where would you aim :confused: I certainly wouldn't aim for the torso... the chance of NOT missing a vital organ is too risky esp aiming at a squiriming hostage...

How long was Saga in the hospital before she released herself? She must have been there a little while... How much blood did she get? How long does it take to absorb a bag's worth? I know she was on painkillers but essentially she did seem to function quite well... I would have thought... esp as painkillers make you sleepy (and she'd have been given something stronger than paracets) ... she'd have conked out as soon as she got in the car :eek: And her critical mental faculties would have been a bit surpressed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a gap between his head and the ‘top’ of the box (coffin…) that was also there when he was kicking the ‘bottom’… There was space enough so the box could have been laid down on its side (so it would have been parallel to the freezer)…
    Except the box was vertical when the wall was knocked down.
    TV licence I think is the simplest explanation.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did have a revenge motive for killing the other victims though; it wasn't just Martin he was angry with. Have people actually been paying attention to the episodes?! Read this blog and it tells you what his problems were with Ekwall, Henning Tholstrup etc:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/may/12/the-bridge-season-one-episodes-seven-eight

I got all that, but did we ever find out what his connection was with the Danish prostitute? Did I miss that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I got all that, but did we ever find out what his connection was with the Danish prostitute? Did I miss that?

Sloppy morals :eek:
    Cheating wife :cry:
    Randy Rohde :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Monique wasn't killed out of revenge. Like many others she was part of the smokescreen.

TT got to know her before he kidnapped her. Her friend in the brothel told Martin she had met someone and wanted out of the game. But she had no connection to his sons death.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with that criticism but to me it was the two main characters that made the show.

Can't wait to see how they develop in series 2.

Will series 2 be a continuation of this series? Otherwise I can't understand why it'll be called The Bridge 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Except the box was vertical when the wall was knocked down.
    TV licence I think is the simplest explanation.

Yeah I know... I was just saying that the box could've been laid on its side... but then he'd have been lying on one of his arms.

TV licence? Or sloppy continuity... Like Saga exiting the hospital door using her left arm... oopsie...

I do find that after a critical number of re-watches... all you focus on is the mistakes... continuity errors... things that don't match up across a series...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey BK *waves* :)

Although I did enjoy TB, not sure I'd want to watch it again. It didn't grip me in the same way as TK1 which I could deffo stand to watch again... if these pesky scando-dramas ever let up on BBC4 :(:D
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monique wasn't killed out of revenge. Like many others she was part of the smokescreen.

TT got to know her before he kidnapped her. Her friend in the brothel told Martin she had met someone and wanted out of the game. But she had no connection to his sons death.

I thought Sebastian killed a prostitute out of revenge, because his wife left him and went off with somebody else. (Martin)

Sebastian had a warped mind. He persuaded other people to also kill out of revenge like Samurai man, who didn't have a clue what he was doing....but luckily Saif and his dad refused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to BKs post, I thought one of things he was trying to highlight was that little effort was put into investigating the death of "lesser" member of society.
    Whilst it can be argued that it was all a smokescreen, it isn't necessarily either/or. For example, his time as homeless could have lead to a concern about how they are treated in society and the desire to highlight this albeit in an extreme way.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks. I'm glad I hadn't missed something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey BK *waves* :)

Although I did enjoy TB, not sure I'd want to watch it again. It didn't grip me in the same way as TK1 which I could deffo stand to watch again... if these pesky scando-dramas ever let up on BBC4 :(:D

Hiya HB(Waves back):):)

I'll let you know if Bron holds up on second viewing;):D:D

It was very enjoyable first time round. And the finale was exciting(especially after Chelsea's heroics in Munich). I think it is a keeper. Burning the DVDs now. Happily put it on my ''special'' Euro subbed DVD shelf with all the others.