Where to go on holiday in Europe?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinshed wrote: »
    Thinking along the lines of Porteventura Theme Park near/in Salou anybody ever been?
    yep, twice. had a week there in april. the park is good but not sure i'd recommend salou if you dont like lager louts. both times we hired a villa with our own pool at tres cales, about 30 mins drive from salou so we had the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,008
    Forum Member
    I've been to Hawaii, it's lovely.Great places to explore, snorkling, Pearl Harbour, The craters. Loads of markets etc.. I know it's not Europe.
    Austalia is a great place (Im Australian) - but it's coming up winter there now.

Apart from the fact they asked for Europe and they only have a week and it's winter in one of the places that's great advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Why not Florida again might I ask?

How about combining Florida with a road trip up to the Great Smoky Mountains and back so as to make for a very varied holiday?

In a week?
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a week?
    I didn't spot that. Obviously not a feasible option. My bad, sorry.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portugal?

I know Greece isn't the best place to go at the moment but Kefalonia and Santorini are beautiful.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt touch Greece with a bargepole at the mo, even though its a lovely country.

Croatia a good option if you've never been. Great beaches (shingle), laid back, extremely beautiful countryside. Bit of culture too.

Majorca? Culture, beaches, good for a few days
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Greece isn't the best place to go at the moment but Kefalonia and Santorini are beautiful.
    boddism wrote: »
    I wouldnt touch Greece with a bargepole at the mo, even though its a lovely country.

I'd probably avoid Athens but you'd be welcomed with open arms on the islands where the hotel, restaurant and bar owners are desperate for your money.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'd probably avoid Athens but you'd be welcomed with open arms on the islands where the hotel, restaurant and bar owners are desperate for your money.

I agree. I'd say the Greek Islands are actually a very good place to holiday at the moment.
  • Options
    Bella TrixBella Trix Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I recommend Portugal; I go there every year :)

The Algarve is lovely, but try the Silver Coast if you want something less tourist-y, quite the hidden gem :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree. I'd say the Greek Islands are actually a very good place to holiday at the moment.

If you do go to Greece and want to help the local economy then please don't go All Inclusive as ll of the money stops in the hotel and destroys the local, family run, bars and restaurants. Some studies have found that only 10% of the money from an AI holiday finds its way into the local economy

Besides, I've never seen the point in going AI. Who wants to travel thousands of miles just to stop in one building? The whole point of travel is to explore and try out the local bar and restaurants.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do go to Greece and want to help the local economy then please don't go All Inclusive as ll of the money stops in the hotel and destroys the local, family run, bars and restaurants. Some studies have found that only 10% of the money from an AI holiday finds its way into the local economy

Besides, I've never seen the point in going AI. Who wants to travel thousands of miles just to stop in one building? The whole point of travel is to explore and try out the local bar and restaurants.

I'm in total agreement. I don't get AI at all. For me, the best part of the holiday is the evenings out trying new bars and different tavernas. A holiday in Greece is all about the long evenings enjoying a freshly cooked meal and a few drinks under the stars.

Each to their own but AI is my idea of hell
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The weather here on Crete is lovely right now. :)

Today we have a clear blue sky but the temperature is a mild 22°C, with a light breeze. :cool:

Crete is the largest island so it has a decent infrastructure and varied landscapes from cities to mountains. A decent meal with a drink costs 10 Euros.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinshed wrote: »
    Thinking along the lines of Porteventura Theme Park near/in Salou anybody ever been?

This was the first place I thought of when I read your post. I went when I was a lot younger and loved it! I am thinking of going again in July, too.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theme parks have never been my 'thing' (may as well go to Blackpool!).

What about Majorca?

I spent a week there some years ago in low season (March). Weather was glorious and warm enough for t-shirt, shorts and sandals. I hired a car (dirt cheap compared to UK prices) so was able to explore the whole island.

I stayed at Palma-Nova which has a street of 'brit bars' which appeals to the lager louts but thankfully I was well away from the few that were there......and the Police were very pro-active too unlike mainland Spain.

Portals Nous is the Marina to wander if you like 'people watching'! Lambo's and Ferraris potter up and down the front with very classy 'barely dressed' females strutting their stuff. :D

The Marina is cram packed with mega million pound 'yachts'. I's a poseur's Paradise but fun to observe. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Lake garda and go to gardaland theme park
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own but AI is my idea of hell

I think AI can work in two cases
    1) You really have an ultra-tight budget
    2) You have you kids who are very picky eaters

Otherwise, I'd agree. I've heard some horror stories about AI hotels in the middle of nowhere so there aren't any local bars and restaurants to go to even if you wanted to and the on-site food being inedible. My brother went to one in Egypt and said it was like being in a prison camp.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croatia is wonderful. Went there last year and totally loved it. We stayed a few miles down the coast from Dubrovnik - Cavtat and it was just bliss. Totally relaxing, quiet, very pretty and unspoiled.

Corfu is also very nice and despite the probs in Greece, as someone else said they will welcome you with open arms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Portugal?

There is no reason not to go to Greece unless you believe media hype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »

Why not? What do you think will happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think AI can work in two cases
    1) You really have an ultra-tight budget
    2) You have you kids who are very picky eaters

Otherwise, I'd agree. I've heard some horror stories about AI hotels in the middle of nowhere so there aren't any local bars and restaurants to go to even if you wanted to and the on-site food being inedible. My brother went to one in Egypt and said it was like being in a prison camp.

I would agree for Greece, but some of the ultra inclusive hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean are amazing.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree for Greece, but some of the ultra inclusive hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean are amazing.

They're not in Europe, which is what the OP was asking for.:)
  • Options
    tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Well thanks for all the advice, but as we like to be on the go all the time and as i said were not really ones for lazing by the pool beach etc weve opted to go back to Florida even if its on for the 7 days. Cant wait :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They're not in Europe, which is what the OP was asking for.:)

I was slightly OT on the subject of all inclusive.:)