Options

A First on YBF

Comments

• Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,416
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    thought he was brilliant on your fired, put ruby wax a supposed comedian to shame thats clearly why she was having a go at him as he was funnier than her.

I thought Adam was great on YBF too but I can see he is an acquired taste.

However, I thought Ruby was very funny too and they bounced off each other well.

I didn't get the impression she was anti-Adam at all, he was just good banter material for her.
  • Options
    purplesky99purplesky99 Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised by the lack of people supporting Adam here really.

I thought whilst he could have been a bit more generous about some of the others, and maybe a little more self aware, that sometimes that comes with time and experience.

What I found distasteful and uncomfortable viewing was the level of undisguised dislike from a comedian that whilst being known for her sometimes acerbic wit, took things too far and too deep for my liking.

I found her offensive, and Dara seemed to be less 'neutral' than usual also. It made me wish for the days when Adrian Chiles was the host. Maybe two comedians is too much for this show, and it sometimes goes too far, or it just doesn't need that much comedic content..?

I'm also concerned that there seems to be an undertone of disdain for someone who is perceived as a just a 'market trader' and so is almost fair game for the power games that seemed to be apparent but were disguised as humour. This has also been played upon in the main show quite a lot, and i just wonder how much of this is an undertone of looking down upon someone who is perceived as inferior?

In short, he was being picked on for a perceived lack of intellect and upbringing. Like being in the playground, except this was adult games, and not great viewing. the great class divide seems to be apparent still, and it was quite demeaning.

I like the apprentice, but the after show has gone downhill in my view. It's always a bit near the knuckle for my liking, which is unnnecessary. Humour is great, but not at the expense of others who deserve fairer treatment.

I'm surprised at the BBC, at this apparent lack of equal treatment, and apparent knocking of those perceived as an inferior working class type, and therefore somehow deserving of mockery and cartoonery.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised by the lack of people supporting Adam here really.

I thought whilst he could have been a bit more generous about some of the others, and maybe a little more self aware, that sometimes that comes with time and experience.

What I found distasteful and uncomfortable viewing was the level of undisguised dislike from a comedian that whilst being known for her sometimes acerbic wit, took things too far and too deep for my liking.

I found her offensive, and Dara seemed to be less 'neutral' than usual also. It made me wish for the days when Adrian Chiles was the host. Maybe two comedians is too much for this show, and it sometimes goes too far, or it just doesn't need that much comedic content..?

I'm also concerned that there seems to be an undertone of disdain for someone who is perceived as a just a 'market trader' and so is almost fair game for the power games that seemed to be apparent but were disguised as humour. This has also been played upon in the main show quite a lot, and i just wonder how much of this is an undertone of looking down upon someone who is perceived as inferior?

In short, he was being picked on for a perceived lack of intellect and upbringing. Like being in the playground, except this was adult games, and not great viewing. the great class divide seems to be apparent still, and it was quite demeaning.

I like the apprentice, but the after show has gone downhill in my view. It's always a bit near the knuckle for my liking, which is unnnecessary. Humour is great, but not at the expense of others who deserve fairer treatment.

I'm surprised at the BBC, at this apparent lack of equal treatment, and apparent knocking of those perceived as an inferior working class type, and therefore somehow deserving of mockery and cartoonery.

Nonsense. 'just a market trader' could have worked really well for him. People would have really admired him for what he'd achieved and, after all, what was Lord S when he started but a market trader. But the difference was that one had moved on and learnt more and more about business as his empire expanded, whereas Adam was stuck in cave man mode and proud of it.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Stringer come across as a right grumpy, defensive, arsehole when he was on it.

I appreciate nobody remembers who Ian Stringer was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I've never seen a panel member overtly disliking the candidate the way she did. Usually there's some good-natured ribbing and some "you're a nice chap but... " criticism but that was in a different league.

And I wonder why? Men like Adam make women boil
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also worth noting Adam didn't argue with any of Jade's suggestions regarding the choice and name of the cholocates. Further proof he didn't dislike her or her judgement.
    Actually, he did. "I don't think we'll go Drunken Jellies. What do you think, Nick; I don't like it." He also hated "Sweet things". Look at his face when she suggests it in the car. He's dismissive. He only went with her names because he had no ideas himself. "It's as good a name as any, mate; it's what's on the table", is how he accepted it, implicitly blaming her for not having something better to offer.
    As for Ruby Wax - strange woman. She seemed obsessed with Adam's personality rather than his abilities! :D She was going on about "who is the real Adam?" I think she lost the plot a bit!
    My view of Adam was that he was very shallow and superficial. He was happy to dive into any area and forge ahead full steam, and that won him a lot of praise for his energy "out of his comfort zone". However, it wasn't because he was quick to grasp the fundamentals. He'd often be going in the wrong direction. As Lord Sugar said, he didn't get the plot. I saw him as a classic sales-person type, who will do or say whatever he thinks is necessary to get a result. He's a bluffer. He's faking it.

I think that's what Ruby was responding to. She was looking for more depth, an invariant core. If he has one, we never saw it.
    In short, he was being picked on for a perceived lack of intellect and upbringing.
    I don't think anyone cared about his upbringing. His lack of intellect was apparent in that he failed to understand what so many tasks were about. Couple that with his sexism (which reflects a shallow understanding of women). That plus the high opinion he has of himself makes him delusional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Actually, he did. "I don't think we'll go Drunken Jellies. What do you think, Nick; I don't like it." He also hated "Sweet things". Look at his face when she suggests it in the car. He's dismissive. He only went with her names because he had no ideas himself. "It's as good a name as any, mate; it's what's on the table", is how he accepted it, implicitly blaming her for not having something better to offer.

My view of Adam was that he was very shallow and superficial. He was happy to dive into any area and forge ahead full steam, and that won him a lot of praise for his energy "out of his comfort zone". However, it wasn't because he was quick to grasp the fundamentals. He'd often be going in the wrong direction. As Lord Sugar said, he didn't get the plot. I saw him as a classic sales-person type, who will do or say whatever he thinks is necessary to get a result. He's a bluffer. He's faking it.

I think that's what Ruby was responding to. She was looking for more depth, an invariant core. If he has one, we never saw it.

I don't think anyone cared about his upbringing. His lack of intellect was apparent in that he failed to understand what so many tasks were about. Couple that with his sexism (which reflects a shallow understanding of women). That plus the high opinion he has of himself makes him delusional.

Yes!:D
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Ian Stringer come across as a right grumpy, defensive, arsehole when he was on it.

I appreciate nobody remembers who Ian Stringer was.

I do. The man who bought his restuarant supplies in the supermarket. He was probably the one more than any other who came over worse on YF. They didn't show him getting the usual leaving gift; rumour has it they had to cut that bit out because he threw a tantrum and hurled his gift to the floor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I've never seen a panel member overtly disliking the candidate the way she did. Usually there's some good-natured ribbing and some "you're a nice chap but... " criticism but that was in a different league.

I think Michelle Mone was more hostile with Katie Hopkins.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although his performances improved, he always struck me as a bit of (OK, a lot of) a misogynistic dinosaur. Not someone I'd want to work with at all.

Same here. I've worked with men like Adam in the past, they like to make out their little digs are just jokes and that you have no sense of humour when you don't like being undermined and patronised. Glad he's gone at last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Same here. I've worked with men like Adam in the past, they like to make out their little digs are just jokes and that you have no sense of humour when you don't like being undermined and patronised. Glad he's gone at last.

Perfect description. Under that 'I'm just a bluff northern market trader' veneer lurks a nasty piece of work posing as cheeky chappie. Reminds me of Len Goodman.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Nonsense. 'just a market trader' could have worked really well for him. People would have really admired him for what he'd achieved and, after all, what was Lord S when he started but a market trader. But the difference was that one had moved on and learnt more and more about business as his empire expanded, whereas Adam was stuck in cave man mode and proud of it.

Not sure about caveman mode. Most recent research suggests even Neanderthals were pretty smart. Go back a bit further and Bonobos also have a pretty advanced degree of sex equality.

Adam is a combination of ignorance and overconfidence - if he could recognise his lack of ability he wouldn't have the over confidence - but to recognise it he would need to have the ability to see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about caveman mode. Most recent research suggests even Neanderthals were pretty smart. Go back a bit further and Bonobos also have a pretty advanced degree of sex equality.

Adam is a combination of ignorance and overconfidence - if he could recognise his lack of ability he wouldn't have the over confidence - but to recognise it he would need to have the ability to see it.

Fab post. Neanderthals probably were smart else how would they have survived up against the opponents they had? But Adam is stil fighting dinosaurs when life has moved on. To survive, the species needs to evolve.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is odious Adam the first candidate to be even more dislikeable on YBF than he was in the programme? Thought he made a total prat of himself tonight with his self-satisfied 'I'm the main man' stance. As usual, he totally misjudged everything.

Yes I couldn't watch it all the way through, he wasn't nice to watch.
  • Options
    Rotsea RoverRotsea Rover Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Michelle Mone was more hostile with Katie Hopkins.

Yes she was but then Katie Hopkins was far far more unlikeable than Adam
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect description. Under that 'I'm just a bluff northern market trader' veneer lurks a nasty piece of work posing as cheeky chappie. Reminds me of Len Goodman.

Adam stuck his foot in his mouth when talking about the ladies but I saw no evil intent in he of the fine selling skills and misunderstood Northern charm. Thought he did quite well for himself and I’m quite fond of Len Goodman too. :)
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The guy is self-assured. Why does that seem to be a dirty word these days? He knows what he's about, knows what he wants and isn't afraid to be himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy is self-assured. Why does that seem to be a dirty word these days? He knows what he's about, knows what he wants and isn't afraid to be himself.

Yeah, right. He is lovely! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, right. He is lovely! :eek:

My opinion, that differs with yours or is now Adam your new problem - it was originally Karren wasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do. The man who bought his restuarant supplies in the supermarket. He was probably the one more than any other who came over worse on YF. They didn't show him getting the usual leaving gift; rumour has it they had to cut that bit out because he threw a tantrum and hurled his gift to the floor.

Really and are we meant to believe this rumour without any sources? Crikey, rumour could tell us anything if we were stupid enough to believe it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really and are we meant to believe this rumour without any sources? Crikey, rumour could tell us anything if we were stupid enough to believe it.

Up to you what you believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Up to you what you believe.

You are correct on that one.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Is odious Adam the first candidate to be even more dislikeable on YBF than he was in the programme? Thought he made a total prat of himself tonight with his self-satisfied 'I'm the main man' stance. As usual, he totally misjudged everything.

Paul Callaghan was not particularly pleasant on YBF.

Adam was just Adam, no less dislikeable on YBF than on the show, okay I did not like him on the show......

I think he is just one of those people who thinks he is wittier, funnier, cleverer and more popular than he actually is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Paul Callaghan was not particularly pleasant on YBF.

Adam was just Adam, no less dislikeable on YBF than on the show, okay I did not like him on the show......

I think he is just one of those people who thinks he is wittier, funnier, cleverer and more popular than he actually is.

I can't remember Paul C. Can you refresh my memory?
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember Paul C. Can you refresh my memory?

Posh, clueless, military background, thought selling breeze blocks of Macro cheese to the French and cooking sausages over a candle flame were task winning ideas, copped off with Katie Hopkins in a match made in hell...