Options

'Waiting for Chryed to Get It On' - Christian & Syed (Part 257)

Comments

• Options
    jenn123jenn123 Posts: 19,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks hun :)

I mean I know the likelihood of her saying yes or them getting married is tiny, but still....yet another proposal/engagement and no mention in months about Chryed's :(

Yeah...and also, they're sixteen! I'm pretty sure someone joked that they'd get married before Chryed a while ago...:sleep:

When was the last mention? Was it January? I'm clinging to the hope that they're waiting for Syed to get his divorce first :sleep: (EE, that is.)
  • Options
    elphaba7589elphaba7589 Posts: 74,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenn123 wrote: »
    Yeah...and also, they're sixteen! I'm pretty sure someone joked that they'd get married before Chryed a while ago...:sleep:

When was the last mention? Was it January? I'm clinging to the hope that they're waiting for Syed to get his divorce first :sleep: (EE, that is.)

And then Syed will buy him and Christian matching rings....but they'll be really shoddy and won't fit properly because Syed's rubbish at romance! :D But Christian won't care he'll just be all happy and overwhelmed and in the mood for luuurve! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I think it would be difficult to rectify that mess of a return!

Definitely be a stork! Same way I was delivered :sleep:

There was so much potential, so many interseting directions they could have taken the story in, so many emotional scenes we could have had....so they direction they chose to take it in was just beyond bizarre. Nothing we can do now, but doesn't stop the disappointment :(

Haha, I'd love that :DOr when they try and put her in something pink and she crawls over to try and get one of Kamil's checked shirts to wear instead!!
    BIB1: I'll never not be angry and disappointed by the way they handled Amira's return but it would be slightly easier if we'd at least had something decent after she left. The fact we've had virtually nothing since then means it's our most recent memory of Chryed and it's hard to move on when there's nothing to move on to:(

BIB2: That reminds me of that episode of Friends when Ross is horrified that Ben has a Barbie. I can imagine Amira freaking out cos Yasmin's wearing a checked shirt instead of some pink frilly dress (and blaming Christian:rolleyes:) and Syed being like "She picked it out herself:sleep:" :D

If Christian's surname was Moon, Syed could have done a Janine and got married without even mentioning the word divorce, let alone having to endure 6 months of his ex hanging around like a bad smell:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sleep is calling!! Night all :) x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then Syed will buy him and Christian matching rings....but they'll be really shoddy and won't fit properly because Syed's rubbish at romance! :D But Christian won't care he'll just be all happy and overwhelmed and in the mood for luuurve! :D

:D Or it could be like when Chrolli got engaged; Syed tries to put the wrong ring on Christian's finger :cool:

Night you! :) x
    Jack Nasty wrote: »
    If Christian's surname was Moon, Syed could have done a Janine and got married without even mentioning the word divorce, let alone having to endure 6 months of his ex hanging around like a bad smell:rolleyes:

Ha, I know! The difference is crazy - Ryan isn't even mentioned as a possible obstacle in them getting married, whereas for Chryed, it was the basis for their "big" storyline :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    :D Or it could be like when Chrolli got engaged; Syed tries to put the wrong ring on Christian's finger :cool:

Night you! :) x

Ha, I know! The difference is crazy - Ryan isn't even mentioned as a possible obstacle in them getting married, whereas for Chryed, it was the basis for their "big" storyline :sleep:
    *weeps for the millionth time at the memory of Amira's return sl*

BIB: That's what happens when you go to bed before proposing :p Sorry:o

Night elphie xx:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Nasty wrote: »
    *weeps for the millionth time at the memory of Amira's return sl*

BIB: That's what happens when you go to bed before proposing :p Sorry:o

Night elphie xx:)

I try not to think about it too much - it's the only way I can cope :D

BIB :eek:...:cool:
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning :) The weathers going to be lovely over the Jubliee weekend, not. :p

I've just been looking at the MF and the thread about what's next for Chryed and I'm surprised that some people don't see Yasmin as really being part of Chryed's life.

In my view because Yasmin is a Masood - not a Branning or a Mitchell or a Slater - and because Syed won't be a feckless father, I don't believe Yasmin will do a dissapearing act like some people do. There's also the fact that Amira hasn't come across as a natural parent, partly because of her behaviour before she left and partly because Christian said the other day that "Amira's always doing this" in relation to wanting the boys to baby-sit - they clearly have regular access to her. I personally would struggle with the idea of Chryed adopting if Yasmin isn't seen as being part of their family as well, I know screentime for her will be limited because she's a tot but there's little reason to believe right now that Chryed won't continue to have regular access to her.
  • Options
    LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    Morning :)
    towers wrote: »
    Morning :) The weathers going to be lovely over the Jubliee weekend, not. :p

I've just been looking at the MF and the thread about what's next for Chryed and I'm surprised that some people don't see Yasmin as really being part of Chryed's life.

In my view because Yasmin is a Masood - not a Branning or a Mitchell or a Slater - and because Syed won't be a feckless father, I don't believe Yasmin will do a dissapearing act like some people do. There's also the fact that Amira hasn't come across as a natural parent, partly because of her behaviour before she left and partly because Christian said the other day that "Amira's always doing this" in relation to wanting the boys to baby-sit - they clearly have regular access to her. I personally would struggle with the idea of Chryed adopting if Yasmin isn't seen as being part of their family as well, I know screentime for her will be limited because she's a tot but there's little reason to believe right now that Chryed won't continue to have regular access to her.

I can kind of understand why some don't see her as being a big part of Chryed's life - how often do we get to see Billy with his kids, for example? But that's a different situation entirely as Honey is a loving and committed mother and there's no interest really in seeing Billy with the kids. It's a different situation with Chryed though cos Amira comes across as finding motherhood boring so it makes sense that she would leave Yasmin with Chryed quite regularly. And also, there's a lot of interest in seeing a gay couple being parents, especially seeing how Christian's adapting to being a stepdad.

I think we'll probably see Yasmin feature fairly regularly, at least for a little while. In fact, she's back again on Tuesday when we might very well see Christian left holding the babies :p I hope we see more exploration of this in the coming months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can kind of understand why some don't see her as being a big part of Chryed's life - how often do we get to see Billy with his kids, for example? But that's a different situation entirely as Honey is a loving and committed mother and there's no interest really in seeing Billy with the kids. It's a different situation with Chryed though cos Amira comes across as finding motherhood boring so it makes sense that she would leave Yasmin with Chryed quite regularly. And also, there's a lot of interest in seeing a gay couple being parents, especially seeing how Christian's adapting to being a stepdad.

I think we'll probably see Yasmin feature fairly regularly, at least for a little while. In fact, she's back again on Tuesday when we might very well see Christian left holding the babies :p I hope we see more exploration of this in the coming months.

Is she? I didn't know that..

I do think Yasmin and her Uncle Kamil :) may be allowed to grow up together, as the next generation of Masoods.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Christian's long-lost-son turned up one day? Christian did hint to Kat that he'd slept with a woman and he told Syed that he could have married a woman at one point.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning

Are you referring to my post? :)

If so, I only meant in the storytelling sense, not as actual characters with a daughter if that makes sense.

She is not even a part time baby. She just makes a fleeting appearance now and again. Therefore it would be difficult to construct a storyline or even major development between Chryed and Yasmin because she's hardly around. The arrangement is very similar to that of Billy and his children.

That's not to say we can't or shouldn't see some development between Yasmin and the boys. I do think this is feasable and it is something I do want to see, especially for Christian, as we haven't really seen him bond with Yasmin yet.

However it's not something we'll see on a consistant level and I don't think Yasmin is mearly enough or you can say a replacement, to thier initial adoption or surrogacy storyline. Not that I have any intention of wanting the latter, god no, but when people say 'Chryed don't need the adoption storyline, now that they have Yasmin', I can't quite a agree with that comparison. An adoption story of some kind would have a proper arc, with a begining, end and a middle, regardless of minimal screentime, whereas with Yasmin, you have one maybe two fleeting appearances a year.

Like I said, it's as an observartion from a storytelling point of view and not from a character one. If I had to chose, it would be Yasmin but given that she is in Amira's full time care, then I expect, we won't see her enough.

It goes without saying, I don't want adoption, whether Yasmin is in the picture or not but that's because of me personally, not because I think they should or shouldn't go down that route (if it's what they both want that is).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It also wouldn't surprise me if Christian's long-lost-son turned up one day? Christian did hint to Kat that he'd slept with a woman and he told Syed that he could have married a woman at one point.

I'd love this :) although long-lost daughter rather than son cos I can see Christian more with a daughter and the show will also need more females later this year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love this :) although long-lost daughter rather than son cos I can see Christian more with a daughter and the show will also need more females later this year!

I wouldn't mind this either.

I've always preferred a older child. The older the better - preferably a teenager.

There is simply more scope and potential there for storylines and interaction, where characters can really bounce of each other.

I'm not a huge fan of Derek and Alice but compare thier development to that of say Tanya and Oscar, Zainab and Kamil... etc. There is simply more to do with older characters. A better comparison would be between Phil and Ben, when he returned to his life 10 years after. So much has happened, and that would no way happen if Ben returned to Phil as a little toddler.

I guess this is why I'm not such a fan of babies on soap. I find them so limited and it stretches characters only so far. In the case of Yasmin, we'd see Christian and Syed bond with her, become her father figures, embrace her, which will be nice, don't get me wrong but how long can EE continue that before it becomes boring? I say the same for any adoption or surrogacy storyline. I have little interest in watching Chryed with a baby for a regular basis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do think there's genuine mileage in watching Chryed adapting to being parents. I suppose there's the generic 'step parent' role that Christian's got to develop, something which is so relevant in today's society, as well as all the issues with gay parenting. That's not to say that i want Chryed's storylines just to revolve around parenting, but i do think there's a place for some sort of development of this role.

I hope we get to see some interaction between Christian and Yasmin in tuesday's episode. I can imagine all the kids running him ragged though! I wonder if Kamil will be there? I think the fact that Zainab and Masood would allow him to be left in his care would be a really good indication of how well Christian's relationship with the family has developed. I can imagine all the kids running him ragged! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree about older kids being more interesting. Don't get me wrong....Yasmin, Kamil, Amy, Oscar etc are adorable....but that's all they are....adorable! You can't really have a storyline with them, you can have a storyline about them like Amy's custody, but not a storyline really involving them.

That's why I really wanted the adoption thing (well actually I didn't want them to have a kid at all but EE are obsessed with kids so this is the option I would have chosen) I think it would have been so interesting to see them with an older child, maybe a teenager, or maybe a child of say 8 or 9. There's much more you can do with a child of that age, we could properly see them bond with the child, they could have scenes where they talk to the child rather than just the babies sat their looking adorable! I think it would have been rather wonderful to see Chryed adopt or foster a child who had had a tough upbringing, who is a bit of a handful at the start, maybe badly behaved and see Chryed transform their life with their love and care. I mean just remembering how good Christian was with Lucy when she was at her most wayward, I think Chryed would have been wonderful adoptive parents.

So yeah, I really wish we had had that instead of Yasmin. Of course I still thinking Amira being pregnant was a stupid idea....I can't think of anything less 'empowering' than being pregnant with a baby you never wanted! And they didn't change my mind and make me think having a baby was a good thing because through the whole return we got no exploration of how Syed felt about being a dad. All Yasmin can do is be in scenes and be sweet....adorable but not terribly interesting. But I do of course want them to keep seeing her, because now she exists she has to stay in their lives and I would like some exploration of how they're feeling about being dad's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all. :D
    So yeah, I really wish we had had that instead of Yasmin. Of course I still thinking Amira being pregnant was a stupid idea....I can't think of anything less 'empowering' than being pregnant with a baby you never wanted! And they didn't change my mind and make me think having a baby was a good thing because through the whole return we got no exploration of how Syed felt about being a dad. All Yasmin can do is be in scenes and be sweet....adorable but not terribly interesting. But I do of course want them to keep seeing her, because now she exists she has to stay in their lives and I would like some exploration of how they're feeling about being dad's.
    Exactly. Now that Yasmin does exist and there is no getting away from that, it makes sense for EE to explore that and how the new addition in Chryed's alive effects them both. I have no driving enthusiasm over the whole thing but it would be inconsistant and a cop-out to just ignore Yasmin now that we know she is a permanent fixture in thier lives and will be for the forseable and long term future. The reality is, she IS around. Therefore when Chryed do have the rare scene where Yasmin is involved, EE should really utilise the opportunity to develop them as a unit and individually.

However personally speaking, and this is just me, I wouldn't want this on a long-term or regular basis onscreen. A background plot to what ever else is going on with the boys is fine but I don't want Yasmin and Chryed being parents to her, to be thier dominant storyline/development for the rest of their stint on the show. However, if I did have to opt for a child, it would be a older one, a much older one, because there is simply more avenues to take and I find characters who talk to be more interesting. :sleep:

Like you said babies are cute, and sure thing Christian and Syed with Yasmin, will be cute. I wouldn't mind seeing this cuteness and seeing Christian and Syed adapt to having Yasmin in thier lives...but I think this kind of storytelling goes only too far and even if it does get lots of screentime, the thought of it doesn't really excite me. I want Chryed to be interesting and I want to be interested in thier scenes, like I was with the original storyline that DTC gave us. I understand we'll never get anything quite as addictive and compelling as that but I would like to be enthusiastic about seeing them again.
  • Options
    BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all
    How are we all?
    :)
    I am sick agian:rolleyes: so mums letting me have a day off tommrow:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I always favoured the idea of Chryed becoming foster parents, looking after a variety of troubled teens, lots of scope for storylines. although I'm not sure whether Christian has all the qualities needed for this kind of role as I think he would find it very difficult to let go of the child once he or she found a more permanent home, he'd become too attached and it would be very difficult and heartbreaking for him to say goodbye :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree with your post KatrinaK :)
    I always favoured the idea of Chryed becoming foster parents, looking after a variety of troubled teens, lots of scope for storylines. although I'm not sure whether Christian has all the qualities needed for this kind of role as I think he would find it very difficult to let go of the child once he or she found a more permanent home, he'd become too attached and it would be very difficult and heartbreaking for him to say goodbye :(

Oh gosh yeah, Christian would find it unbearable to say goodbye :( He would just want them to all stay, a whole house overrun with kids, luckiest kids ever with Christian and Syed as dad's! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Are you referring to my post? :)

If so, I only meant in the storytelling sense, not as actual characters with a daughter if that makes sense.

She is not even a part time baby. She just makes a fleeting appearance now and again. Therefore it would be difficult to construct a storyline or even major development between Chryed and Yasmin because she's hardly around. The arrangement is very similar to that of Billy and his children.

That's not to say we can't or shouldn't see some development between Yasmin and the boys. I do think this is feasable and it is something I do want to see, especially for Christian, as we haven't really seen him bond with Yasmin yet.

However it's not something we'll see on a consistant level and I don't think Yasmin is mearly enough or you can say a replacement, to thier initial adoption or surrogacy storyline. Not that I have any intention of wanting the latter, god no, but when people say 'Chryed don't need the adoption storyline, now that they have Yasmin', I can't quite a agree with that comparison. An adoption story of some kind would have a proper arc, with a begining, end and a middle, regardless of minimal screentime, whereas with Yasmin, you have one maybe two fleeting appearances a year.

Like I said, it's as an observartion from a storytelling point of view and not from a character one. If I had to chose, it would be Yasmin but given that she is in Amira's full time care, then I expect, we won't see her enough.

It goes without saying, I don't want adoption, whether Yasmin is in the picture or not but that's because of me personally, not because I think they should or shouldn't go down that route (if it's what they both want that is).

Yeah, I do agree with all your points :) especially whilst Yasmin is still a tot with limited screentime - though it's ironic that chryed themselves aren't getting much more screentime than Yasmin at the moment, well it feels that way anyway. :rolleyes:

I do think once Yasmin gets older and approaches Tiffany's age - if Chryed are still around by then - that she'll be a greater pressence in their lives, I can't see the producers putting Syed in a situation where she's gone from his life because she'll probably be his only biological child - he's not like Jack who can produce sprogs left, right and centre. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/ww/spotlight/1261/walford-web-catches-dominic-treadwell-collins

Awww, I'm just reading an old DTC interview that Ellie from Walford Web did. I love his response here....

You’ve been in the role of Story Producer for three years now. Can you choose a favourite storyline from that time? One you’re most proud of, perhaps?

If I had to single one out it would be the Christian/Syed storyline. With most storylines, a writer will pitch an idea at story conference that will span over several months or years and it’s the job of my team to make that story work week by week, episode by episode. So different storylines are ‘owned’ by different writers. I pitched the Christian/Syed storyline at conference and then locked myself away to plan its arc over a year or so. So it was very much my story from the start.

I really wanted to do a contemporary gay love story and Christian and Syed were the perfect characters to do that with – we could explore what it’s like to be a gay man in contemporary London whilst also looking at a man battling with his sexuality and religion.

We got such good ratings and responses to the New Year’s episodes. My grandmother, who is pretty old-fashioned, was quite upset after those episodes. I assumed that it was because she didn’t like all the shouting… But actually, she said that she just wanted Christian and Syed to be happy together. If this show can change the opinions of a seventy-something year old woman then that’s amazing. And also reach out to young gay men and women who watch the show – whether they’re Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, whatever – and show them that it’s okay to be gay and that other people are going through the same thing they’re going through.

I love that he was so passionate about Chryed and dedicated enough time to do the storyline justice. Really we owe as much to him as we do Marc and Johnny.

I just wish we currently had a storyliner who was even half as passionate and enthusiastic about Chryed as DTC was. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's cross our fingers and toes that Lorraine Newman is better with Chryed than BK - whether intentionally because she likes them as characters or accidentally through the reduction of block storytelling and a need to bring back a proper community feel as Scott Maslen suggested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/ww/spotlight/1261/walford-web-catches-dominic-treadwell-collins

Awww, I'm just reading an old DTC interview that Ellie from Walford Web did. I love his response here....

You’ve been in the role of Story Producer for three years now. Can you choose a favourite storyline from that time? One you’re most proud of, perhaps?

If I had to single one out it would be the Christian/Syed storyline. With most storylines, a writer will pitch an idea at story conference that will span over several months or years and it’s the job of my team to make that story work week by week, episode by episode. So different storylines are ‘owned’ by different writers. I pitched the Christian/Syed storyline at conference and then locked myself away to plan its arc over a year or so. So it was very much my story from the start.

I really wanted to do a contemporary gay love story and Christian and Syed were the perfect characters to do that with – we could explore what it’s like to be a gay man in contemporary London whilst also looking at a man battling with his sexuality and religion.

We got such good ratings and responses to the New Year’s episodes. My grandmother, who is pretty old-fashioned, was quite upset after those episodes. I assumed that it was because she didn’t like all the shouting… But actually, she said that she just wanted Christian and Syed to be happy together. If this show can change the opinions of a seventy-something year old woman then that’s amazing. And also reach out to young gay men and women who watch the show – whether they’re Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, whatever – and show them that it’s okay to be gay and that other people are going through the same thing they’re going through.

I love that he was so passionate about Chryed and dedicated enough time to do the storyline justice. Really we owe as much to him as we do Marc and Johnny.

I just wish we currently had a storyliner who was even half as passionate and enthusiastic about Chryed as DTC was. :(

awww I love DTC :) miss him :( he was so passionate and enthusiastic and had a great work ethic.
  • Options
    MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member
    Popping on to say Meryl Fernandes said on twitter earlier that she did an interview for the Sunday Express magazine which is out today :) Probably not really EE related but might be interesting! I don't know if anyone has it, I can't get it though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that interview KatrinaK...I love DTC so much....he was so passionate about Chryed....and even though Santer's era wasn't perfect he too loved Chryed...always mentioned them in his favourite storylines too. I always wonder how different Chryed's story would have been after reunion if they'd been in charge...I think it would have been handled a lot better :(
    Popping on to say Meryl Fernandes said on twitter earlier that she did an interview for the Sunday Express magazine which is out today :) Probably not really EE related but might be interesting! I don't know if anyone has it, I can't get it though :(

I asked my folks to get it for me but they won't be back for a bit/they might forget! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.