Options

David Hockney's Flotilla Painting

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    peon wrote: »
    i would do a better job than that on DrawSomething.

Do something then and post it here for all to see.

Perhaps the rest of the clever dicks here could do the same? :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he did it on a computer i think that is quite good

I don't like it and regardless of how difficult it is, using an iPad is just not art to me - I don't mind some modern art but I draw the line at computer generated "art" :eek:
    Interesting, might be worth a trip.

I tried to do my own Hockney inspired painting, it is not great and i got more paint on the floor but I enjoyed doing it.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/fairladyzxgirl/?action=view&current=425351_10151384385115160_1588288742_n.jpg

That is excellent, I much prefer this to the Hockney "painting" being discussed in this thread!
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, might be worth a trip.

I tried to do my own Hockney inspired painting, it is not great and i got more paint on the floor but I enjoyed doing it.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/fairladyzxgirl/?action=view&current=425351_10151384385115160_1588288742_n.jpg

I really like that!
  • Options
    Bad JujuBad Juju Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hockney is our greatest living artist so please don't chop his head off. I saw the exhibit at the RA this year, it was bloody fantastic!!!

Don't like the pic in this thread though.
  • Options
    JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Casting a critical eye over this piece, I feel that Hockney has conceptually activated the ridulous nature of monarchy in a highly accessible piece of work.

The devious simplicity of using what can only be described as a floating prison ship to represent the barbaric conditions of the slave labour bussed in to police the event. Or perhaps it's a metaphor which signifies the cage mentality of the flag-wavers, trapped by their inability to escape from a rose-tinted past?

The image of the Duke turning blue in the cold, spatially undermining the joyous celebrations by being hospitalised, lends a touch of pathos, while the painter's use of vivid grey colours and the formal juxtaposition of rain on flotilla perfectly sums up what a dismal washout the whole event was.

In summary, Hockney has captured the dying nature of a medieval relic, a moment when the monarchy did indeed become history.

Or, he forgot he was supposed to do this piece, left it until 20 mins before it was due, and came up with this effort!
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    People always say 'I could do that' when they see a painting, but they are not Hockney.

What does that actually mean?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    In summary, Hockney has captured the dying nature of a medieval relic, a moment when the monarchy did indeed become history.

In your dreams :D
  • Options
    JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your dreams :D

I think estrella was being ....err....ironic?;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ladymoanalot: Not that I'd know anything about art, being a pleb and all that, but I've been looking at your painting for ages, it's mesmerising. A personal question and I won't be offended if you tell me to faff off but have you ever sold any of your work?
  • Options
    peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. It captures movement, joy and spirit simply. People always say 'I could do that' when they see a painting, but they are not Hockney.

by that rationale, anybody could come up with an effort that looks like a six year old did it, and if Hockney put his name to it, everybody would be gushing over how fabulous it was.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He clearly knew something was up with poor Phil, who seems to have contracted a wasting disease in one of his legs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop_Noodle wrote: »
    Ladymoanalot: Not that I'd know anything about art, being a pleb and all that, but I've been looking at your painting for ages, it's mesmerising. A personal question and I won't be offended if you tell me to faff off but have you ever sold any of your work?

No I just do it for pleasure, its cheap entertainment.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It means unless they are art forgers they cannot do what he does, as well as he does, and with the originality of ideas. They can imitate him though.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the black guy with the umbrella lower down near philip didn't get much time spent on him
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Which is exactly my issue with modern art. It's not about the skills or the imagination used. It's about whose name is on the white label. Ingratiate yourself with the right folk from the art clique and you can get yourself some "awards" and then shift any old crap for a small fortune.

I think lovers of modern art would argue with you and can pick out why one work is superior to another. You have to recall that Monet and his group were considered crap at one time. I as one example do not prefer non-representational art on the whole but I appreciate that many do and some are skilled artists themselves.

Also being simple can be more difficult than being complex, like writing while using fewer words.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None of them painted this.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    In the flotilla painting, what's the deal with the black stick-midget in the bottom right corner? He seems to be holding up an anteater on a stick. :confused:
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I just do it for pleasure, its cheap entertainment.

If I saw your artwork on sale for a couple of grand, I wouldn't even question the validity of the price :eek:

Not only is it technically good, it's really interesting to look at, like Pop-noodle I looked at it for ages and all I wanted to do was pop into the painting and live in that house.
  • Options
    stevenjwstevenjw Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Ladymoanalot, I really like your picture, thank you for the link. :)
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. It captures movement, joy and spirit simply. People always say 'I could do that' when they see a painting, but they are not Hockney.

Thank God for that, one Hockney producing crud that that pathetic picture is bad enough, any more like him would be just too much
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely London I'd recognise that big purple mountain anywhere!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Well, I like it, It's bright, cheerful and sums up all that happened on the day as I remember it - rain, river, Tower Bridge, Queenie and Dukey, boats and flags.

It's of the 'naive' style of painting, by no means is Hockney alone - look up the work of St. Ives artist, Alfred Wallis.

Incidentally, anyone who knows London will know that the 'blue mountain' on the right hand side of the painting is City Hall in Southwark and not the Shard, which is on the same side of the river as the Tower of London!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Whenever I hear that expression (I could do that), I take it to mean that OK, almost anyone could have done a particular piece of art or whatever - but they didn't. They didn't think it up, didn't create it and only thought themselves capable after they'd seen someone else do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I like it, It's bright, cheerful and sums up all that happened on the day as I remember it - rain, river, Tower Bridge, Queenie and Dukey, boats and flags.

It's of the 'naive' style of painting, by no means is Hockney alone - look up the work of St. Ives artist, Alfred Wallis.

Incidentally, anyone who knows London will know that the 'blue mountain' on the right hand side of the painting is City Hall in Southwark and not the Shard, which is on the same side of the river as the Tower of London!

You see when I look at the painting in your link, it leaves me cold. I don't understand it, am I missing something? I totally appreciate that people do get it, and I'm always left feeling a bit out of my depth, like I'll be shouted down for not 'getting' it.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,074
    Forum Member
    Just looked at it. TBH it looks like something an eleven year old might have done.