Options

Jo Joyner's break from Eastenders will only be six months

Comments

• Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    Exactly. I wonder how old some people are who post on here as they clearly have no understanding of what a contract is, and what it does and doesn't do.

Actually what those users are saying sounds about right. Six months is nothing. Jo herself has confirmed its only a six month break. Not sure why there is so much talk of her quitting. Patsy Palmer and Lindsay Coulson have also gone on six months breaks. They are now both back filming. I might be wrong but I am sure the scripts for the soaps are written anything from two to three months in advance. That is without factoring in the actual storylining of the episodes. So of course Tanya is going to be back. If she isn't then rewrites would have to happen and production would be thrown into chaos. That is why a contract must be in place binding Jo's return to EastEnders. Jo has given dates and that is what we have to go off.

Not sure why Jo's contract is even such a major issue on here. Did these sort of discussions happen when Patsy and Lindsay took their breaks a few months back?
  • Options
    STACEYFISHERSTACEYFISHER Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Are you serious????? You think the BBC hands out contracts 6 months in advance?????? For god's sake........

I give up.

Yes given that they produce episode outlines anything up to 1 year ahead.

So if they expect Tanya to be on screen next June they will have a committment from Jo about her being there in writing.

Its how TV works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually what those users are saying sounds about right. Six months is nothing. Jo herself has confirmed its only a six month break. Not sure why there is so much talk of her quitting. Patsy Palmer and Lindsay Coulson have also gone on six months breaks. They are now both back filming. I might be wrong but I am sure the scripts for the soaps are written anything from two to three months in advance. That is without factoring in the actual storylining of the episodes. So of course Tanya is going to be back. If she isn't then rewrites would have to happen and production would be thrown into chaos. That is why a contract must be in place binding Jo's return to EastEnders. Jo has given dates and that is what we have to go off.

Not sure why Jo's contract is even such a major issue on here. Did these sort of discussions happen when Patsy and Lindsay took their breaks a few months back?

Common sense!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo has said she is leaving for 6 months. She wanted a year but her bosses gave her 6 instead.
    Bosses have not given her anything. There is not article which mentions TPTB have given Joyner a six-month sabbitical. Joyner has not renewed her contract.
    Eastenders plan very far in advance. So if Jo finishes filming in December she would be due back filming in May. Storylines for next summer for example will be mapped out around Tanya's return. Therefore an agreement will have been made and signed confirming to her bosses that Jo was going to return. Jo cannot just decide to return when she wants. It has to be planned and written. Its been planned at 6 months!!
    That's if TPTB offer Joyner a new contract of employment - as of which hasn't even occured, beyond rationale hypothesis' on DS, that is. TPTB haven't even confirmed such an arrangement exists - they don't even know when she'll return. While Joyner has expressed the view she will 'return' (which is really she'd like to return in six months as it's up to the TPTB whether she does) TPTB have stated 'some-point in the future' regarding said return. If such an arrangement of a future contract existed, surely TPTB would be able to confirm Joyner was taking a sabbitical and would be back in six months?
    How hard is that to understand? if Jo was leaving for a year then perhaps people would have a point. 6 months however makes it completely different.

Jo has also confirmed she is returning. There is nothing more to discuss here.
    How is it hard to understand that when one chooses to to renew a contract of employment they are leaving. Leaving. 6 months doesn't change anything at all. This 6 months meme makes no reference to any contractual arrangement such a sabbitical for Joyner. Jo Joyner can't really confirm she's returning. It's up to TPTB, not her.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes given that they produce episode outlines anything up to 1 year ahead.

So if they expect Tanya to be on screen next June they will have a committment from Jo about her being there in writing.

Its how TV works.

The long break culture has not always exsisted in EE actually. I fear many of the cast are holding EE to ransom, either they get their breaks or they leave. The only answer is to give them longer contracts to stop them.
  • Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's because the Daily Star revealed that she would be 'leaving at the end of her current contract' but that doesn't tell us anything it just tells us when she's leaving.

The Daily Star is usually slated for its inaccuracy with soaps yet strangely some are quick to believe it on this. The Star doesn't even say she isn't returning 'leaving at the end of her current contract' doesn't mean a new contract won't already be in place/planned for at that time.

The DS article is a rehash of The Star one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosses have not given her anything. There is not article which mentions TPTB have given Joyner a six-month sabbitical. Joyner has not renewed her contract.

That's if TPTB offer Joyner a new contract of employment - as of which hasn't even occured, beyond rationale hypothesis' on DS, that is. TPTB haven't even confirmed such an arrangement exists - they don't even know when she'll return. While Joyner has expressed the view she will 'return' (which is really she'd like to return in six months as it's up to the TPTB whether she does) TPTB have stated 'some-point in the future' regarding said return. If such an arrangement of a future contract existed, surely TPTB would be able to confirm Joyner was taking a sabbitical and would be back in six months?

How is it hard to understand that when one chooses to to renew a contract of employment they are leaving. Leaving. 6 months doesn't change anything at all. This 6 months meme makes no reference to any contractual arrangement such a sabbitical for Joyner. Jo Joyner can't really confirm she's returning. It's up to TPTB, not her.

With all due respect Jo has said she will be back in six months.

Now do you know all the personal details about her contract? do you know Lorraine Newman's personal opinion on the matter?

No you don't. I suggest you stop talking like you do.

Jo knows the deal much better than anyone on here so her word is final. Not someone on a forum who seems to think they know personal info about EEs actors private contracts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The difference between Palmer and Coulson's situation is that TPTB at the time confirmed they'd both be back on screen at a specfic time - later in the year. TPTB have not confirmed such for Joyner. Scripts are wtitten in advance, but as of yet we've heard of no scripts which factor in a return for Tanya at a specfic time. If TPTB can't even confirm when Joyner is returning then how can this future contract exist and can the scripts for Joyner's return storyline exist?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2128069/Patsy-Palmer-Lindsey-Coulson-break-EastEnders.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-patsy-palmer-aka-bianca-786483

Also, there was no mention of Coulson and Palmer's contracts not being renewed, or them quitting their contracts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are no articles which suggest that Jo won't renew her contract next year either. The only mention of her contract is that she's leaving at the end of her current one. That doesn't mean she won't be renewing it/coming back. She may renew it before she leaves and then she will be on a break from her contract or she may choose to renew it nearer the time of her return. The latter isn't such an exceptional circumstance.

I think Jo Joyner probably knows more about her own intentions than we do and if she says she is only taking six months out and will be back then I am inclined to believe her. She would soon look like a fool if that isn't the case.

TPTB haven't given any quotes about Tanya's departure. The only quotes we have to go on come from Jo herself but next to TPTB she is probably the most accurate source for information about this.

Regardless of contracts they will want her back anyway if Jo wants to come back. John Yorke, Simon Ashdown and Lorraine Newman have all been at EastEnders over the last six years during which the Branning family have become the main family on the show.

What is unclear about 'I will be back' and 'it's just a little break'. TPTB are bound to be on the same page as Jo, if a return was unlikely due to either party these quotes wouldn't be out there. I bet her return is already planned/being discussed by the time she leaves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference between Palmer and Coulson's situation is that TPTB at the time confirmed they'd both be back on screen at a specfic time - later in the year. TPTB have not confirmed such for Joyner. Scripts are wtitten in advance, but as of yet we've heard of no scripts which factor in a return for Tanya at a specfic time. If TPTB can't even confirm when Joyner is returning then how can this future contract exist and can the scripts for Joyner's return storyline exist?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2128069/Patsy-Palmer-Lindsey-Coulson-break-EastEnders.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-patsy-palmer-aka-bianca-786483

Also, there was no mention of Coulson and Palmer's contracts not being renewed, or them quitting their contracts.
    Patsy and Lindsey's breaks were announced much closer to their on screen departures which probably explains the quotes from TPTB. The initial story about Jo's departure was far more speculative. Although The Star states she is leaving at the end of her current contract that does not mean a new contract won't be in place by that time for after her break.

There may be no quote from the producer but Jo herself is hardly an unreliable source. I could understand your point if we had had a quote from the producer which neglected to mention a return for Jo but we haven't had any quotes about her departure at all. I hope Lorraine Newman clears this up in her DS interview if Jo's word is not good enough for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect Jo has said she will be back in six months.
    And with all do respect it's not up her to her.
    Now do you know all the personal details about her contract? do you know Lorraine Newman's personal opinion on the matter?
    I know about contracts regarding Soaps, which yes, would cover Joyner's contract. As it would many other soap stars. In fact all you need to know is about the basics of employment contracts in general. First things first, in Soaps usually people will get a year's contract. Sometimes it can be months but usually it's a year. That is a legal contract of employment setting out when the contract will run out. In this case, Joyner had a contract of employment, and as reported (by sources more informed than anyone on DS, including your good self) Joyner chose not to renew her contract.

That means her employment contract will no longer exist by the time she commences fliming. So, the argument about the specfications on her contract is null and void. Because it won't exist. Your arguing regarding the time of Joyner's employment with EastEnders/BBC - which is already specified in the time scale of the contract is set. Joyner herself has chosen not to renew her employment contract. There is no future contract of employment; no one who has presented this hypothesis has actually given proof from a spokesperson from BBC such an arrangement existed with a soon to be null contract, or whether such an arrangement is in place now.
    No you don't. I suggest you stop talking like you do.
    And equally, you don't. You don't know about any 'secret future employment contract' - not even Joyner, the source you sight has confirmed as such. It's a rationale hypothesis for arguments being introduced on this thread. You also don't know Lorraine Newman's opinion on the matter either - because Newman herself has not confirmed Joyner will be back in six months' time. The only thing we've had from TPTB is a return at 'some point' - which is awfully vague, and unspecfic and almost non-commital.
    Jo knows the deal much better than anyone on here so her word is final.
    TPTB know the deal much better than anyone, so their word is final, they are Joyner's employer's after all. And insofar, TPTB have not confirmed specfically when Joyner is returning, or any return storylines.
    Not someone on a forum who seems to think they know personal info about EEs actors private contracts.
    Oh the irony.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    You've got more patience than me, PP. But I agree entirely with what you are saying, especially regarding contracts. There is no way on god's green earth JJ has some weird contract that includes 6 months time off BEFORE she starts work. I've never heard of such a thing. Even Liz Taylor would have been hard pressed to get a contract like that in her heyday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lousiana wrote: »
    There are no articles which suggest that Jo won't renew her contract next year either. The only mention of her contract is that she's leaving at the end of her current one. That doesn't mean she won't be renewing it/coming back. She may renew it before she leaves and then she will be on a break from her contract or she may choose to renew it nearer the time of her return. The latter isn't such an exceptional circumstance.

I think Jo Joyner probably knows more about her own intentions than we do and if she says she is only taking six months out and will be back then I am inclined to believe her. She would soon look like a fool if that isn't the case.

TPTB haven't given any quotes about Tanya's departure. The only quotes we have to go on come from Jo herself but next to TPTB she is probably the most accurate source for information about this.

Regardless of contracts they will want her back anyway if Jo wants to come back. John Yorke, Simon Ashdown and Lorraine Newman have all been at EastEnders over the last six years during which the Branning family have become the main family on the show.

What is unclear about 'I will be back' and 'it's just a little break'. TPTB are bound to be on the same page as Jo, if a return was unlikely due to either party these quotes wouldn't be out there. I bet her return is already planned/being discussed by the time she leaves.

Thank god you are here to help Princess Perfect understand this. She doesn't seem to get it.

Jo has said her break is six months. Jo has not said she isn't renewing her contract. Infact quite the opposit. Jo has confirmed she is indeed returning.

The suggestion TBTP will decide when Jo returns is even more absurd given is Jo's telling people on Twitter and in interviews her break is for six months which indicates TPTB know full well when Jo will be back. Unless these users are trying to imply Jo is lying. Thats even more absurd! why would she! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've got more patience than me, PP. But I agree entirely with what you are saying, especially regarding contracts. There is no way on god's green earth JJ has some weird contract that includes 6 months time off BEFORE she starts work. I've never heard of such a thing. Even Liz Taylor would have been hard pressed to get a contract like that in her heyday.

What are you not understanding?

Scripts are written months before the episodes are filmed. That tells you they know which characters are going to be in the episodes therefore contracts are in place to make sure the actors are there.

Jeez. :rolleyes: thats how contracts really work ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all we know this 'leaving at the end of her current contract' stuff might not be from a credible source. That information was not attributed to any source in the original story. However the quote doesn't even mean that she won't be returning it just tells us when she is leaving (although obviously we don't know when exactly her current contract runs out).
    And with all do respect it's not up her to her.
    PP why do you assume that TPTB won't want Jo to return? You may not rate the character of Tanya but the producers clearly do. Not trying to get at you here but the amount of exposure Tanya/The Branning family in general have had suggests they are producer favourites. Simon Ashdown in particular seems to be a huge fan of them and I can see him wanting to hang on to them as long as possible.
    I know about contracts regarding Soaps, which yes, would cover Joyner's contract. As it would many other soap stars. In fact all you need to know is about the basics of employment contracts in general. First things first, in Soaps usually people will get a year's contract. Sometimes it can be months but usually it's a year. That is a legal contract of employment setting out when the contract will run out. In this case, Joyner had a contract of employment, and as reported (by sources more informed than anyone on DS, including your good self) Joyner chose not to renew her contract.
    It has never been reported that Jo Joyner has chosen not to renew her contract. Where are you getting this from? Like I keep saying the only mention of her contract has been that she is leaving at the end of her current one that does not equate to Joyner refusing to sign any new/future one.
    The only thing we've had from TPTB is a return at 'some point' - which is awfully vague, and unspecfic and almost non-commital.
    Jo's break was announced at the end of April and she isn't leaving until next year, there were no details to give, it was different with Lindsey and Patsy whose breaks were announced just before they left on screen. TPTB can say for certain what's going to happen in six months but not a year in advance when they haven't even storylined Joyner's exit.
    TPTB know the deal much better than anyone,
    I would be surprised if they weren't on the same page as Jo. It has never been known to my knowledge for actors to insist they will be joining/returning to a show without at least having had some form of discussion with the show's bosses beforehand. But if you're right and Jo is saying this without their approval then she will look like a fool so we'll see. Be honest are you making an exception here because you don't rate Joyner? I thought generally actors are treated as reliable sources on here. Should we treat everything they say as lies now whatever it's about?
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,291
    Forum Member
    I'm going to miss Tanya.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no articles which suggest that Jo won't renew her contract next year either. The only mention of her contract is that she's leaving at the end of her current one. That doesn't mean she won't be renewing it/coming back.[/.QUOTE]
    But I didn't say Joyner was never coming back. I stated Joyner was leaving at the end of her current contract. I even stated she may return. So that's a strawman point, because it deals with something I didn't even state. But currently, Joyner is leaving the show. She may return, she may not.
    She may renew it before she leaves and then she will be on a break from her contract or she may choose to renew it nearer the time of her return. The latter isn't such an exceptional circumstance.
    BIB, again that's not assertion I stated - so, a strawman point. However, I've never heard of someone renewing a new future contract of employment as they have chosen not renew a current contract of employment; the two concepts are almost contradictory. And no one's confirmed Joyner is taking a sabbitical, for instance.
    But again, no one's commented on Joyner's future intentions on whether she would like to return. What's been commented on is whether TPTB will offer her a new employment contract, if after six months she still wants to return. Another strawman assertion.
    TPTB have - in the Daily Star article which came out confirming Joyner was leaving the show, a TPTB spokesperon commented on Joyner returning at somepoint, but have not given dates, such as Joyner's six months assertion. Joyner herself has not confirmed that her employers' have a new employment contract drawn up in six months time. Joyner represents herself, not TPTB in which a spokesperson does.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/248787/Eastenders-I-ve-got-to-Jo-/
    I know Simon Ashdown is a Branning fan - he would be, as he pretty much writes for them. However, could you show quotes from Yorke and Newman stating the Brannings are the main family now the show?
    When I hear TPTB actually state she's coming back in six months rather than ''definetly return'' at ''somepoint'', I'll believe that.
    Patsy and Lindsey's breaks were announced much closer to their on screen departures which probably explains the quotes from TPTB. The initial story about Jo's departure was far more speculative. Although The Star states she is leaving at the end of her current contract that does not mean a new contract won't be in place by that time for after her break.
    The Daily Star storyline wasn't speculative - it didn't state Joyner would never return, indeed the Star story even had a quote from TPTB spokesperson. It confirmed Joyner had not renewed her contract. The BIB is dealing with hypotheticals. She may return - she may not. But at the moment she has not renewed her current employment contract.
    There may be no quote from the producer but Jo herself is hardly an unreliable source. I could understand your point if we had had a quote from the producer which neglected to mention a return for Jo but we haven't had any quotes about her departure at all. I hope Lorraine Newman clears this up in her DS interview if Jo's word is not good enough for you.
    She's also not representive of TPTB - a spokesperson usually is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god you are here to help Princess Perfect understand this. She doesn't seem to get it.

Jo has said her break is six months. Jo has not said she isn't renewing her contract. Infact quite the opposit. Jo has confirmed she is indeed returning.

The suggestion TBTP will decide when Jo returns is even more absurd given is Jo's telling people on Twitter and in interviews her break is for six months which indicates TPTB know full well when Jo will be back. Unless these users are trying to imply Jo is lying. Thats even more absurd! why would she! lol
    There will probably be quotes from TPTB floating around next year about Jo's return. I'm not sure what people expect a year in advance. Apparently there is a quote already stating that she'll be back at 'some point' though which came out back in April. That seems reasonable enough I mean details/exact return dates are not going to be known so far in advance. Things have probably moved on a bit since then and Jo obviously thinks she is taking a six month break for a reason. Those who think TPTB have no communication with the actors about this sort of thing in advance don't get it.
  • Options
    FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people need to stop worshipping at the alter of that VirginiaDem poster. She was one of the posters constantly touting this stuff about Jo not coming back, and she's still doing it on that blog (whilst insulting various members on here in the process). Why do people look up to this person?

http://eastendersunleashed.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Some people need to stop worshipping at the alter of that VirginiaDem poster. She was one of the posters constantly touting this stuff about Jo not coming back, and she's still doing it on that blog (whilst insulting various members on here in the process). Why do people look up to this person?

She worships at MY altar tyvm.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you not understanding?

Scripts are written months before the episodes are filmed. That tells you they know which characters are going to be in the episodes therefore contracts are in place to make sure the actors are there.

Jeez. :rolleyes: thats how contracts really work ;)

Did Jessie Wallace give 6 months notice before she took her unplanned break? If she didn't, Kat wasn't firmly written into future storylines, not enough that she couldn't be written out again.

The EE producers might have 'ideas' for Tanya's return but until Jo signs a new contract, she's not officially part of the show and therefore those storylines won't be solid. Scripts themselves can be written closer to filming than 6 months, it's just story ideas that are in place well in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member

PMSL!! Thats cheered me up no end!! Fame at last!!!!! :D

OMG at the stuff she is saying about other people! she sounds disturbed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all we know this 'leaving at the end of her current contract' stuff might not be from a credible source. That information was not attributed to any source in the original story. However the quote doesn't even mean that she won't be returning it just tells us when she is leaving (although obviously we don't know when exactly her current contract runs out).
    But we do know, the source is from a publication who at least on the matter of soaps generally has a good record.
    PP why do you assume that TPTB won't want Jo to return?
    You may not rate the character of Tanya but the producers clearly do. Not trying to get at you here but the amount of exposure Tanya/The Branning family in general have had suggests they are producer favourites. Simon Ashdown in particular seems to be a huge fan of them and I can see him wanting to hang on to them as long as possible.
    Another strawman assertion. I haven't stated as such, merely that the decision is up to TPTB. I've never stated TPTB won't ever want Tanya back concrete in stone. As for the Branning's, I've already commented on that matter in a previous post.
    It has never been reported that Jo Joyner has chosen not to renew her contract. Where are you getting this from? Like I keep saying the only mention of her contract has been that she is leaving at the end of her current one that does not equate to Joyner refusing to sign any new/future one.
    Yes it has. You are confusing the concept of leaving at the end of a current contract to signing a new contract. When you leave your contract, you are not renewing your current contract. You may sign a new one in the future but that's a completely different matter.
    Jo's break was announced at the end of April and she isn't leaving until next year, there were no details to give, it was different with Lindsey and Patsy whose breaks were announced just before they left on screen. TPTB can say for certain what's going to happen in six months but not a year in advance when they haven't even storylined Joyner's exit.
    But it's assumptive to assume suddenly, there's more details to give now basis on the timing of the departures.
    I would be surprised if they weren't on the same page as Jo. It has never been known to my knowledge for actors to insist they will be joining/returning to a show without at least having had some form of discussion with the show's bosses beforehand. But if you're right and Jo is saying this without their approval then she will look like a fool so we'll see. Be honest are you making an exception here because you don't rate Joyner? I thought generally actors are treated as reliable sources on here. Should we treat everything they say as lies now whatever it's about?
    I actually like Joyner as an actress. I also haven't asserted she's lying; rather than the decision simply isn't up to her, and many of the hypothesis put on DS she herself hasn't even confirmed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    I like Tanya, but where can they take her now..With Max again, on and off, it gets boring..We want some new stuff from her

I think it's going to turn out that Sharon is Tanya's sister - I think they'll do something with that.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is no one can say for definite whether she is coming back or not. We'll just have to wait and see.
    I think she'll be back but who knows what will happen between then and now?