Options

Tickets (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    h007 wrote: »
    quite a few london venue tickets have been on sale today. got sitting volleyball for friday evening and wheelchair basketball for saturday daytime - both £10 tickets...

Where's the basketball? NGA or the Olympic Park? I've been to NGA and it was great fun - although there were a lot of empty seats. Try to sit on the side, reasonably high up. I sat some of the time "behind the goal" close in and it's better to be in the former position. Get there early if necessary.

Sitting volleyball is cool - probably the best of the Excel sports IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure of the correct term....at the Olympics, where people had a ticket for, say, Handball, that covered 2 matches, some decided to leave after the first match. That ticket was then 'recycled' and reallocated to people who chose to queue. I was thinking of trying to get a 'recycled' ticket after i've been to the morning athletics.

But, as there are Day Passes for multiple venues at the Paralympics, i'm not sure if they will be operating this kind of system (and presumably only a percentage of the venue will be allocated to non Day Passes anyway). In which case, I would need to try and buy a ticket beforehand if I wanted to attend an additional event.

So I suppose my question is whether the same ticket recycling as at the Olympics is operating for those already in the Park?

I didn't know about the "recycled" tickets. I would have tried to get into the handball again, as I thought it was fantastic first time around.

There isn't really any need for that system at the Paras. The Day Pass System provides dedicated areas for Day Pass Holders, separate from the event-specific tickets, so if you queue up early enough you should get in. The main advantage in having a specific ticket is that you don't have to queue and your seats are in a better position. To be honest at the Excel I had no problem getting a decent seat for most things - although at the Olympic Park I imagine it will be much busier. Then again, it's much more of a trek between venues. Moreover, there's more to do apart from the events, so I assume that will balance things out.
  • Options
    CubeGameCubeGame Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, after all my late efforts to get tickets for both \Olympics (no) and Paralympics, we went last night to the evening athletics session.

At first appearance we had great seats (high up but on the finishing straight for an evening of mostly spint based events) but after climbing to their location we found they didn't exist!

All ticket resolution could offer was near front row seats on the back straight. We saw little and ending up fuming about what our visit should have been.

So all those people who moan about them listing tickets that don't exist, they sell them as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I'd be grateful if anybody could point me to the relevant regulation as it might save me some money in future!

"... but if you need to bring your own food, it must fit inside your bag."
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The regulations refer to 'excessive food'. I haven't found anything in the public instructions to help define this, but the following is given to school parties: 'Your snacks or a small packed lunch should be contained within the 25 litre bag allowed by security'.
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen someone trying to take in a 1l bottle of gin. They didn't try to drink it all before entering though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    On the radio before the Olympics they said a packed lunch would be fine - a pinic hamper would be excessive.

That's probably it then, the people I saw had loads of food and snacks etc.

Damn! Wish I'd known. I didn't eat all day a couple of times. (had a couple of beers though. ;) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    I have seen someone trying to take in a 1l bottle of gin. They didn't try to drink it all before entering though.

I saw a flick-knife in the clear container of recycled items. What sort of moron would see a line of soldiers, scanners and staff and not stash it beforehand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callicot wrote: »
    I went there this afternoon to pick up tickets and there was only about a dozen people in the queue with eight separate ticket booths open. Got my tickets within 10 mins.

In none of the venues I've been in, at any time, has there been any serious issue with waiting for tickets, travelling, entering via Stratford or queuing at venues (except for popular day pass events) including big events such as Usain Bolt at the OS. Ironically the warnings about congestion have probably meant the congestion is minimal.

The only thing I'd say about the West Ham-Stratford Greenway is that it's a fun way to enter if the weather's nice. There are lots of games makers and entertainers along the route, so it's more exciting than going to Stratford, especially for kids. On the other hand you can go to Westfield if you enter via Stratford, which may be of interest to those not from London - although IMO Westfield Shepherd's Bush is a lot more swanky and interesting to visit as a tourist, with it's more elite "London" feel and big central piazza area where they have free events.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Hey, has anyone gone by themself? The person going with me can't go anymore and being mid-week everyone is at work!
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minor drop going on....just got £10 tickets to the last Athletics session of the Games...:D
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Minor drop going on....just got £10 tickets to the last Athletics session of the Games...:D

Thanks so much for the heads up. My mother, having decided a couple days ago that she would like to see the park asked me to get her tickets. Just bought her/dad & brother Olympic Park passes for Tuesday. She was adamant she didn't want to see any events so this is perfect! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got Althetics ticket for Wednesday 5th, if anyone has ticket for the night before instead or swimming on Wednesday 5th to swap let me know please. My second cousins are in the swimming that day so would love to see them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the heads up. My mother, having decided a couple days ago that she would like to see the park asked me to get her tickets. Just bought her/dad & brother Olympic Park passes for Tuesday. She was adamant she didn't want to see any events so this is perfect! :)

No problem....hope you all enjoy your day out. I'm actually surprised that there are even this many tickets left to be honest, I'm still trying to get hold of some of those elusive Orbit tickets. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No problem....hope you all enjoy your day out. I'm actually surprised that there are even this many tickets left to be honest, I'm still trying to get hold of some of those elusive Orbit tickets. :p

There were loads a couple of weeks ago . . but you needed a day pass along with the orbit ticket and there were none of those available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ames123 wrote: »
    There were loads a couple of weeks ago . . but you needed a day pass along with the orbit ticket and there were none of those available.

Yeah....annoyingly there were some for the Sunday (which is when I have a Park Pass) this morning, but I must have just missed them...otherwise I might have to try my luck at the Box Office on the day....

In fact....has anyone here had success with getting tickets at the Orbit box office?
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got tickets for Wednesday evening athletics in section 254. :D

Does anyone know where I can find the seating plan?

Do I collect the 'free games travelcard' from any ticket office?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot1000 wrote: »
    Just got tickets for Wednesday evening athletics in section 254. :D

Does anyone know where I can find the seating plan?

I was in 255 on Saturday...it's close to the starting line of the 100m straight....very good seat imo....though I was in row 75 right at the top....but either way a great seat. I think there is a seating plan thread in this forum...
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Sitting in the media section at the moment.nice seat, table and fantastic view.happy

where i was yesterday

heres my youtube vid from yesterday a few clips i put together

including richard getting GB gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntNQ5jYWkc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where i was yesterday

heres my youtube vid from yesterday a few clips i put together

including richard getting GB gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntNQ5jYWkc

Niiiice. I was there too for Richard's 200m win but stupidly didn't video that one, I think I got a pic though....amazing atmosphere...so proud to see him win Gold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, has anyone gone by themself? The person going with me can't go anymore and being mid-week everyone is at work!

I went to many things on my own in the Olympics and Paralympics. Not a problem if you pluck up the courage to chat to people. At the Olympics there were many other people on their own at the big events, probably due to the difficulty of getting late tickets in groups. I went to two Athletics sessions and both times ended up having a lovely time chatting to people also on their own. At the Usain Bolt 200m I was sitting next to the son of one of the announcers, so his knowledge of athletics proved invaluable! At the morning Jessica Ennis session, I ended up hanging around with another lone wolf for about ten hours after (you really can spend that long at the Park).

It doesn't seem to be quite the same at the Paras, by which I mean that there weren't so many people on their own - however people were just as friendly. Very occasionally you get someone who's a bit buttoned-up and unfriendly, but that's rare in my experience. I haven't been to the Park itself for these games, but I can't see why it would be very different. Excited people tend to be more well-disposed to the world.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've gone to a lot of events on my own, actually makes it easer to get tickets for one thing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, i'm sure it will be fine, i'll just be brave and chat to randomers. :D

I noticed in earlier posts that people said for the Olympic day passes the times were not enforced. I have one for the day on Tuesday, and could do with staying in a couple of extra hours to watch a important event on the screen there. Is this still the case with these games?
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i went to the athletics on my own yesterday :)

if you have a day pass that starts in morning you can stay all day

if its an evening pass you can get in from 3pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has just this minute told me that he has a Tuesday morning category A Swimming ticket that he wants to get rid of. He was lucky enough to get tickets for Fridays evening session and doesn't want to do both.

He'd prefer to swap for a Tuesday Equestrian evening session or an afternoon or evening Sitting Volleyball session on the same day. I imagine he'd want you to pay the excess, but IIRC the morning swimming sessions aren't expensive in the first place so I doubt it would be much.

He may have two tickets for the Friday evening session as well, as his teenage niece and nephew have flaked out to go to a party (that's kids for you). Child tickets can be uprated. He won't know about the Friday tickets until he's asked if any of his mates want to go. I think there's a good chance they'll be available, since I'm the only one who's sporty or into the Olympics and I can't make it. (I'm very P-ed off TBH). The only downside is that you'd have to sit by him and from going to football together he does like to talk! (Only joking - he's not too bad really).

I know he's off to the Park tomorrow (Monday) so you'd have to be able to get into East, Central or West London late on Monday evening (we live in Ladbroke Grove). If you are actually in the Park on Monday that would obviously be ideal.

If you PM me, I'll give you his e-mail address, so you can ask him about either one. I don't want to be rude, but I'd rather not get involved beyond that.