Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 4: The Power of Three- 22/09/12 19.30 BBC1

Comments

• Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    ...to you.

kidnapping Rory's dad didn't make sense to me either - perhaps you could enlighten us?
  • Options
    Inseriousity.Inseriousity. Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Weren't there still people on the ship when he blew it up? Or did I miss some one-liner that explains why they couldn't be saved.
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    El Medico wrote: »
    The power of three quote was a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed this episode
    Very cheesy, but a good romp. The Darth Vader-a-like was a bit much though, wonder whose idea that was.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If science is now in charge of UNIT she's more like a new Liz Shaw :)

But Liz Shaw wasn't the daughter of the Brig, which was kinda the point of that post ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think Chris chibnall was chanelling Russell t Davis tonight. World invasion, a third of the population taken out before the doc solves the problem with a wave of the sonic. Light story with lots of fluffy (but in places funny) dialogue. Still best thing on telly though
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    ...to you.

Care to step up to the plate and explain why the hoover faced aliens were kidnapping people then? :) (And I don't mean that snarkily, because I really don't know - after all their extermination plan seemed to be working just fine already).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my 5 year old niece is now a loyal follower and she loves amy rory and the doctor..im dreading next week...
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I personally didn't like was the fact we've skipped 8 years of the Ponds traveling with the Doctor. That's a hell of a leap.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wool78 wrote: »
    I think Chris chibnall was chanelling Russell t Davis tonight. World invasion, a third of the population taken out before the doc solves the problem with a wave of the sonic. Light story with lots of fluffy (but in places funny) dialogue. Still best thing on telly though

I would agree it had a bit of an RTD feel to it, sort of akin to Turn Left in a sense. But it made a nice change of pace to the more epic feel of the series as a whole. I don't agree it was fluffy though, there was quite a heavy emotional under current running through the episode.
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Dont Want Them To Go!
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode of the Season for me. Felt like RTD meets the Eleventh Hour and that feeling of fairy tale magic was back in the air.

The Ponds were a lot more grown up and less annoying than they've been for an age and the head of UNIT was fantastic.

Not usually got much time for Chris Chibnall but overall I thought he did an excellent job this episode.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't there still people on the ship when he blew it up? Or did I miss some one-liner that explains why they couldn't be saved.

Yes there were still people aboard. Every episode so far this series has ended with an explosion, interesting....
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone who is doing a mathematics A-level currently, I am ashamed to admit that I didn't see the link between the episode's previous title "Cubed" and the final title "The Power of Three". :o
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminded me very much so of a Davies era style story this evening. Enjoyable fun, and lets be honest, the focus of the story was Amy and Rory, considering how next week is their departure (I thought it was the week after, so I was slightly disappointed when TATM trailer popped up). I don't understand why there were people with holes in their faces and why they were taking people back to the ship though. I was paying very close attention to the episode, but so far as I can recall, no mention was made to explain this. Other than that, a very good episode. And the preview for next week's looks utterly fantastic.

EDIT: Also, how amazing to learn that The Doctor has been hopping in and out of the Pond's lives for ten years now! I like that Moffat has made us aware that The Doctor himself and the companions have aged significantly during the series; really helps us to see just how their lives become so intertwined.

And, I'm gonna sound awful here, but I hope Amy and Rory have a really horrible end. Not because I dislike them; I actually love them and this episode has made me realise I really will miss them when they're gone. I just want something a bit darker as we haven't yet had that in nuWho and I think it needs to be explored how The Doctor would react and cope in a situation where his companion/s die or are lost in time or something similar. Especially as Matt's Doctor has been getting darker as he's gone on and we were promised more of that this series. I'd love for something awful to happen to Amy and Rory and for The Doctor to really lose it and his dark side comes out for good until his next regeneration. Not dark to the point where the audience hates him; dark to the point where we can understand why he is doing what he is doing but we know that traditional Doctor would be disgusted. A bit like how he suddenly saw himself at the end of The Waters Of Mars and was mortified by what his actions had caused.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,969
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Yet another rushed ending that made no sense. Its a shame, it could have been a really good episode but so many things were overlooked.if 2 billion( one third) of the population had been wiped out, the Doctor would have been beside himself, but it didint seem to bother him.

I agree. I dislike it when these episodes become soppy and over-inolved with the 'relationships'.
    ... mainly because the narrative often suffers, leading to shoddy plot-work, rushed endings, and unrealistic behaviour.
    The doctor was quite jaunty... in the face of a mass wipe-out, and the enemy (in this case a mass-exterminator in a hugely sophisticated spaceship) allows a hostile (the doctor) to blow it up without a fight.
    My iphone is better defended than that ship!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plot had more holes than Blackburn Lancashire, but it was a good episode regardless :)
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Didnt like it at all, rushed, and a silly story line that made little sense.

This is the worst series for me so far, haven't liked one single episode yet.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,969
    Forum Member
    For someone who is doing a mathematics A-level currently, I am ashamed to admit that I didn't see the link between the episode's previous title "Cubed" and the final title "The Power of Three". :o

I was just thinking of Charmed throughout!
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    So how did the 2 billion not have massive brain damage? and why were the hoover faces collecting odd people? and how did a flick of the sonic bring them all back to life then?

Oh lighten up. This is Doctor Who, a show which once had every human on earth becoming John Simm for a day, let a random guy light the 2012 Olympic Torch without security intervention, amongst many many more unbelievable things. Surely a small extension to the time limit before the brain damage seeps in isn't too much to ask in light of everything else over the past 49 years? :)

Personally, I thought this was an awesome episode. Took me right back to the RTD era. 8/10! :)
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode of this year by a mile IMO.

A real feel good episode.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I expected more from this episode, but I don't think it was too bad. A bit slow getting to the point and a bit rushed to finish off with, but it was nice learning about Amy and Rory's lives, there were plenty of funny moments and I really liked the idea of the "Pest Controllers of Time" (whatever they were called). It was just a shame that the ending was a bit rushed.
    It felt a bit like Closing Time for me. Not too bad a story and funny, but a bit slow.

Roll on next week which will almost certainly be fantastic.

Agree with everything in this post. :) A pretty good episode overall, even if the storyline could have been spread out more evenly.

Like DOAS, I think the trick with this episode is to brush your seriousness and cynicism aside for an hour. Despite some fairly dark undertones (namely the near-death of one third of the population), it was just a bit of harmless fun.

I was never overly keen on Amy and Rory in the previous two series but I have really warmed to them over the last few weeks. It will be sad to see them go in next week's instalment.
  • Options
    snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Very cerebral episode I thought, made compelling viewing.
    Only nitpick I have is that it seemed very easily sorted out, with the swish and hum of his screwdriver.
    I understand it was more about the relationship between the Doctor and his companions, but in my opinion, I think it would have been better as a two parter. That way, the powers that be, wouldn't have had to rush the ending.
    Having said that, both her indoors and myself thoroughly enjoyed it and we are looking forward to next weeks episode. Love the Angels. Only one more episode left till Christmas :cry:
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Just to go back to the fish fingers and custard bit. The Doctor also said he invented the Yorkshire pudding so is that a slight nod to the fact it's apparently National Yorkshire Pudding Week?

It seemed that the episode was laden with little in jokes and nods to all sorts, which kind of makes sense I suppose seeing as it's the penultimate episode with A&R :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I would agree it had a bit of an RTD feel to it, sort of akin to Turn Left in a sense. But it made a nice change of pace to the more epic feel of the series as a whole. I don't agree it was fluffy though, there was quite a heavy emotional under current running through the episode.

I think I was being a bit harsh in my summing up. I did enjoy the episode and I think it sets up next week's, potentially heart breaking, episode perfectly.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Oh lighten up. This is Doctor Who, a show which once had every human on earth becoming John Simm for a day, let a random guy light the 2012 Olympic Torch without security intervention, amongst many many more unbelievable things. Surely a small extension to the time limit before the brain damage seeps in isn't too much to ask in light of everything else over the past 49 years? :)

Personally, I thought this was an awesome episode. Took me right back to the RTD era. 8/10! :)

Those things were unbelivable, alien molecular structure change is amazing, but to be dead for so long and then resurected after all that time is impossible, they would all either be dead or brain damaged, he did nothing else than somehow defrib them with the sonic, they should all still be dead, all 2 billion.
    The fact they had all died did not bother the Doctor at all, the planet he loves, one thrild destroyed and he carried on as if it hadnt happened. Some of the ep was RTD-esque, the guests and the news channels reporting, but the rest of it I felt was rushed and all over the place, MUCH better than last week, but still a little too messy for my liking.