Options

Most successful covers.

Comments

• Options
    manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen covered by...many artists, I'd consider Jeff Buckley to be the most successful though.

I prefer the k d lang cover although Jeff Buckleys version is great.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P Diddy's version of I'll be missing you was huge at the time and so so different than the original.

I wouldn't really call that a cover as the lyrics in the chorus are slightly different to the original chorus lyrics and also the verses were re-written for P Diddy's. The song title isn't even the same. The Police original is called Every Breath You Take.

Amy Winehouse/Mark Ronson's version of Valerie was much more successful than the original by The Zuton's.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don McLean's 1980 cover version of "Crying" got to no. 1 while Roy Orbison's 1961 original version failed to chart in this country.
  • Options
    JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You've Got the Love" by Florence + the Machine (2009) was a pretty big cover of "You got the love" originally by the Source in 1986.

Also there are a lot of songs which are really famous and probably part of "The Great American Songbook" which were originally from Broadway & Hollywood Musicals such as "The Way You Look Tonight", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "They Can't Take That Away From Me" but their covers by people like Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald in the 1950s and 60s are probably more well known and popular :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Three great British songs... which the yanks did great covers (to the point they are erroneously thought to have written)

David Bowie - "The Man Who Sold The World" ...covered by Nirvana
    Badfinger - "Without You" ...covered by Harry Nilsson, and Mariah Carey
    Argent - "God Gave Rock n Roll to You" ...covered by KISS
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie Goulding- Your Song one of the more recent and (commercially ;)) Successful covers although i like it.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    The best example for me would have to be 'Mack The Knife.' Its history is a great story and worth reading but here's a brief version:

It originally started as a song 'Die Moritat von Mackie Messer' featured in a German stage drama/musical 'Die Dreigroschenoper.' This was translated into several other languages and performed in English as 'The Threepenny Opera.' There have been several English translations but the versions we all know and love of 'Mack the Knife' are ones that popularised the 1950s adaptation of 'The Threepenny Opera' by Marc Blitzstein, which was performed on Broadway.

Louis Armstrong released his version of 'Mack the Knife' in 1956, which is my joint favourite version. Louis' version is the first that mentions Lotte Lenya (who was an actress/singer that had performed and recorded 'Mack' in 1955) and it was certainly a big hit in the USA

However, Louis' version was overshadowed by Bobby Darin's cover in 1959, which topped the Billboard and UK charts.

Then of course you get Ella Fitzgerald's infamous live in Berlin cover, where she improvises after forgetting the lyrics and she's just awesome in doing so! She even name checks Bobby and Louis. Ella's version (rightly) went on to win a Grammy award.

Equally the song 'Beyond the Sea' has a good history with its music being lifted from the song 'La Mer.' Bobby Darin's cover, which is arguably the most successful, was not the first to reach the American Billboard charts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »

I think Twist & Shout by The Beatles has to be up there with the most successful covers. And on that note also, Chains by The Beatles too, although Twist & Shout is obviously the more well-known of the two...

Both are superb covers and the originals are excellent too. When Radio 2 broadcast the interview that Johnnie Walker did with Carole King last year, they played 'Chains' by the Cookies (the original) and immediately followed it with The Beatles' version.

I like most of The Beatles' covers from their early albums. The best they did (for me) though was 'Till There Was You'.
    Don McLean's 1980 cover version of "Crying" got to no. 1 while Roy Orbison's 1961 original version failed to chart in this country.

It may surprise you to know that Roy Orbison's version did chart in the UK in 1961. It 'peaked' at No. 25 according to (I think) the Record Retailer chart, which the OCC and Guinness used as their preferred source for 1960s charts. However, it's spot on to cite Don McLean's cover as being more successful than the original (at least in the UK!).
    I must admit the original Monument recording by Roy is something special.

EDIT: Roy Orbison's 'Cryin' had quite a funny spell in the UK charts. It had actually started to fall in the charts before reaching its peak position but for weeks it stayed around the high 20s (it was No. 27 on the week ending 30/09/1961, then dropped to No. 28 the following week, then No. 29, before going up 4 places to peak at No. 25 and then drop again!)

From what I've read, the Record Retailer chart had only fairly recently started publishing a Top 50 singles chart when 'Cryin' was released.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy Orbison's 'Cryin' had quite a funny spell in the UK charts. It had actually started to fall in the charts before reaching its peak position but for weeks it stayed around the high 20s (it was No. 27 on the week ending 30/09/1961, then dropped to No. 28 the following week, then No. 29, before going up 4 places to peak at No. 25 and then drop again!)

I cannot help but laugh when I hear "Crying" as it always reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses episode when Del met Raquel and she was singing in a club with a bloke who could say his "Rs"! So funny to hear him sing "Cwying".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Boney M can be argued as having three of the most successful covers in the history of British singles though perhaps not surprising given that they were released in 1978, which was something of a record year for singles sales.

'Rivers of Babylon'/'Brown Girl in The Ring' sold 2,010,000 copies. The original version of 'Rivers of Babylon' by The Melodians (which was written by group members Brent Dowe and Trevor McNaughton) is featured on the soundtrack to 'The Harder They Come.' However, Boney M's version was a No. 1 in 1978. 'Brown Girl...' on the other hand is supposed to be a traditional West Indies song.

Boney M's 'Mary's Boy Child/Oh My Lord,' also released in 1978, is still one of the top best selling UK singles of all time having sold 1,825,000 copies. Harry Belafonte's version (the original) is also in the list of the best selling UK singles of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    I cannot help but laugh when I hear "Crying" as it always reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses episode when Del met Raquel and she was singing in a club with a bloke who could say his "Rs"! So funny to hear him sing "Cwying".

Naturally! They should have "weleased" a version of it really - it would have probably sold well. 'Stage Fright' is one of my favourite episodes of Only Fools and Horses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I'd say I Will Always Love You too. You'll probabbly find that a lot of people don't even realise it's a cover since the Whitley version is so well known (yet vastly inferior imo :p)

That owns this thread. Completely disagree with the parentheses, though. Dolly Parton sounds like a mangled cat in the original. That was the joke of the movie as well which is why Whitney covered it. I love Dolly, but her singing that song makes my ears bleed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I Were Your Woman by Alicia Keys became pretty successful, though nothing can beat Gladys Knight and The Pips.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I like Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love much better than the original and it was hugely successful.
  • Options
    fallenshadowfallenshadow Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Gary Jules version of Mad World
  • Options
    stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STEPS - Tragedy :p
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celine Dion's "All Coming Back To Me Now"

Sugababes' "Too Lost In You"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Sway? Been covered many, many times.
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis - Run
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people have misconstrued my request in the first post. I asked which cover was the most successful, not which cover people liked the most!
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah

That version gives me the shivers, I never cared for the original, or whatever came after it. It was always that version that did it for me.

Cyndi Lauper- Girls just Wanna Have Fun
    The Fugees- Killing me Softly
    Chaka Khan- I Feel For You
    Sugababes- Freak Like Me
    Gary Jules- Mad World
    Santana- Black Magic Woman
    The Sundays- Wild Horses
    Shaft- Sway

All of these above, I chose because I prefer them over the originals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is a cover?! Say what?!?! I never knew that.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is a cover?! Say what?!?! I never knew that.

Yep, originally recorded by Bob Dylan
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U. I'm not sure if that counts as a more successful cover as I don't think the Prince original was ever released as a single, it may have been just an album track.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    From a UK only perspective Leona Lewis's cover of Run by Snow Patrol sold bucket loads.