Options

HIGNFY Series 44

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Surrealist comedian and Edinburgh legend in his own lunchtime Mr Tony Law is apparently on HIGNFY on 2nd November.

Go Mr Tony, go! Go for the big prize Mr Tony!

Expect complaints on points of view- and this thread- about him. :p
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Who is this canadian idiot comedian? "Oh Obama's gotta look presedential" ...shut up you moron - jokes about a real disaster are sick in the extreme
    I have no idea why the guy on Paul's team was even there. May as well have got the Tub of Lard back on.
    toastie wrote: »
    but the guests on tonight's show were dreadful.
    Hate to say it but it feels like the show is dying on it's arse.
    lundavra wrote: »
    Was he a "comedian"? I thought some of the British ones were bad but he managed to equal them.
    Frost21 wrote: »
    I kept cringing when that canadian guy spoke. So embarassing to hear utter silence from the audience.

Well I don't mean to say I told ya so. But I told ya so. His stand up is really good, but much like Stew Lee before him, he's a fish outta water on panel shows.
  • Options
    PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    blindside wrote: »
    Tonight's episode: a crashing snore-fest Zzzzzzzzz :yawn:

Literally in my case, I fell asleep half way through. :)
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the episode was fine. The guests were poor but I thought Clarkson and the waxworks were good fun.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit dire for the firdt half, but it did perk up considerably for the second.
    The waxworks were :eek::D
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,589
    Forum Member
    I thought the episode was fine. The guests were poor but I thought Clarkson and the waxworks were good fun.

The waxworks museum is a great way to spend an afternoon trying to guess who they are :eek::D

I hope they do not close it as it is very popular.

I did not have a clue who the 2 guests were tonight .. this show is sadly going down hill .. I find myself doing something else while this is on when I was once glued to the fun factor of the show :(
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see Tony Law on there - one of my favourite comedians.
    Not the best format for him, but he was still the best thing on last night's show.
    Merton just doesn't seem interested any more.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is this canadian idiot comedian? "Oh Obama's gotta look presedential" ...shut up you moron - jokes about a real disaster are sick in the extreme

He was mimicking the dozens of news reporters that have been saying that over and over this past week. Do keep up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    saw tony law in edinburgh this year. thought it was about a 3/10. his performance last night was probably a 1/10.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the waxworks were that bad I guess no-one would've identified 'em.

Two poor choices of guests, but Clarkson was on form.
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    The waxworks museum is a great way to spend an afternoon trying to guess who they are :eek::D

You can see the waxworks here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9648335/Louis-Tussauds-House-of-Wax-quiz-guess-the-celebrity-waxworks.html
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On reflection does anyone else feel that the waxworks were an emergency filler for something else, as they did take up some time and were more suited to Graham Norton or Alan Carr and not a satirical news show.
    Funny yes, but just prolonged and not what I would have expected given the amount of other news about that could have been lampooned.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two poor choices of guests, but Clarkson was on form.
    Yes, I can't imagine that either of those two were anybody's choice, as in "Ooooh. I know. Let's get Will Gompertz on HIGNIFY". As for that other bloke .... words fail me.
    The only theory that could possibly hold up is that someone forgot to book any celebs and those two were a little too slow running for the exits in the BBC canteen when the emergency guest press-gang came a-calling.

Odd that none of them were wearing poppies. I thought the BBC politically correct police mandated them, these days :confused:
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show isn't made by the beeb, and I thought poppy protocol was that the poppy was worn only on the week leading up to the 11th.
    Thankfully the 11th is a sunday so we will be spared the extra commemoration that has become the norm lately.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show isn't made by the beeb, and I thought poppy protocol was that the poppy was worn only on the week leading up to the 11th.
    Thankfully the 11th is a sunday so we will be spared the extra commemoration that has become the norm lately.
    Yes, that could be it. I don't tend to watch much BBC TV - especially not their live talking heads shows. Though I did have the impression that they were wall to wall poppies since a week or so ago.
    Personally, I don't care: wear one or don't wear one. It should be the choice of the individual, much like other external signs of faith. I did have a glimmer of hope that somehow, some individuality was being permitted on a BBC show.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The thing is that people with the attitude you've outlined may make a comment about it but then will shrug their shoulders and think nothing more of it.

Some people with the other view will be outraged that the BBC are not showing respect and complain to them.

So for the beeb it's just less hassle.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,589
    Forum Member
    kjhskj75 wrote: »

I have seen them in their full glory :eek: It is a must see :D
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have seen a different edition of HIGNFY than some on here.

The Canadian guy did get laughs and so people saying his comments were met with silence were quite clearly mistaken.

It was a standard show with the requisite laughs. Not a classic but also not a bad edition either.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

The Canadian guy did get laughs and so people saying his comments were met with silence were quite clearly mistaken.

It was a standard show with the requisite laughs. Not a classic but also not a bad edition either.

He did get laughs but on a lot of his comments you couldn't say they were particularly big laughs.

I like Clarkson doing the show but he does tend to dominate it quite a bit and reduce everyone else to a bit-part in many ways.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    He did get laughs but on a lot of his comments you couldn't say they were particularly big laughs.

I like Clarkson doing the show but he does tend to dominate it quite a bit and reduce everyone else to a bit-part in many ways.

Forgotten his name but I think the other guest, from BBC News I think, got more laughs.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode and I'd seen the waxworks issue in the papers.

However, this episode showed another case of their freaking beeping an f-word after the watershed!

And to add insult to injury, while one was bleeped (from Clarkson), the one from Tony Law wasn't. WTF? Are Hat Trick Productions mental?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode and I'd seen the waxworks issue in the papers.

However, this episode showed another case of their freaking beeping an f-word after the watershed!

And to add insult to injury, while one was bleeped (from Clarkson), the one from Tony Law wasn't. WTF? Are Hat Trick Productions mental?

There is a crucial difference; Tony Law is lovely and Clarkson is an offensive gobshite.

:D;)
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The extent to which Hislop and Merton are just about having to carry the show is poor.

I have no idea why the guy on Paul's team was even there. May as well have got the Tub of Lard back on.
    ^The Rt. Hon. Tub of Lard to the likes of you and I.

Lardy to his mates.

Clarkson was poor - no surprise there though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    There is a crucial difference; Tony Law is lovely and Clarkson is an offensive gobshite.

:D;)

I know you're joking, but I'm not when I say I think Clarkson's ace. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've wondered the same. Why does a leader need to get to a disaster zone ASAP. What are they supposed to do to help?
    The reason they go is because if they don't they'll get blasted by the media.
    jcafcw wrote: »

I thought Law was ok. Some of his comments deserved more that what they got from the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've wondered the same. Why does a leader need to get to a disaster zone ASAP. What are they supposed to do to help?
    The reason they go is because if they don't they'll get blasted by the media.

They go to show leadership. In times of a national tragedy, what else do they have that's so pressing?
    I thought Law was ok. Some of his comments deserved more that what they got from the audience.

Don't forget there's also the editing. A lot of Merton's comments, in years gone by, have clearly had a lack of reaction from the audience, yet the canned laughter went into overdrive.