Options

"Full time mum" is NOT a job title

Comments

• Options
    citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    What would you prefer she said? I'm Sonia and I'm unemployed. But don't look at me like that, I'm not a scrounger or a layabout, its because I've got a child and they take up all my time, so I can't currently work.

Surely "full time mum" gets the message across a bit quicker.

Nah, it just says "pretentious arse with a high opinion of ones abilities".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean 'go on like this'?

Some people choose to stay at home and look after their children as opposed to going out to work and paying someone else to do it. Some people have no choice in the matter. Looking after children can - IMO be classed as a job - a childminder/nursery nurse calls looking after children a 'job' why can't a mother - albeit unpaid?

And who's to say the woman in question doesn't love looking after her children? Perhaps like some others she loves her job.

And although possibly not 'the hardest job in the world' looking after young children can be very hard work.

It isn't a job, if anything its a vocation but putting these phrases into use when discussing the natural parenting we deliver as a species dehumanises them.

Seems people are too keen to try and justify their existence in such a way these days.

You're a housewife pet, get over it or find a real job in which people have to recognise and accept your abilities and aptiude, you have to work with others of varying levels of authority, intellect and ability whilst juggling all the other commitments of day-to-day life.

Many others do it, you aren't a saint, martyr or anything special!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't do what my wife does. She always has umpteen plates spinning and seems to have stamina coming out of her ears. She's the glue that holds this family together and if it were ever left to me, like on the odd occasion it is, I would really struggle to fill her shoes! What she does is damn hard and I'm under no illusion that I could do it better or that she's got it easy.

ETA: out of interest, are you married or do you have any children?

Wow are you serious?!

What exactly do you do then? Do you just fill the role of the dumb husband we see in adverts?! There was me thinking it was an old fashioned cliché.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmasmythe wrote: »
    Why shouldnt it be a job title, are you saying women should bring up their kids for no recognition whatsoever? financial or otherwise?

What do you mean, "financial" - you expect to be paid to bring up your own kids?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    They should be bringing up their children for their own pleasure not for recognition and attention of others or to make smug comments like "being a mother is the hardest job in the world" :sleep:

I find it damned annoying when they say that. They want to try my job - it doesn't simply involve opening my legs, feeding, cleaning and ignoring some little brat parked in front of the telly all day!

Anyone with a few assorted brain-cells can manage that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    A bit more than people who criticize a perfectly reasonable and informative statement in answer to a question.

She didn't claim that it is a job title as such, but instead of saying somewhat misleadingly and unhelpfully "unemployed", she informed us about her main daily activity and at the same time implied rather neatly that she wasn't in paid employment. She was right, you are not.

Yes, she did. But she was wrong. She is a "housewife".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    You've never experienced the joy of colic or teething have you :D

Actually, I have and you know what - its a short lived issue which is hardly the end of the world.

Honestly.

Try doing a real job with years or decades of actual unrelenting pressure and expectation. Try doing the daily commute against a deadline because there is a room full of people waiting for you. Try meeting goals and deadlines which if missed can result in death or injury for hundreds of thousands of people.

Then tell me about you whinging little baby.

Guess what, nobody asked anyone to have any baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shopper, present wrapper, baker, dog walker...

All highly skilled and valuable ways to spend leisure time.

Whats that? You think its work?!

Don't know they're born. Which is ironic given the subect matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS by the way folks, he is baiting so just treat him with the contempt he deserves.

So people aren't allowed an opinion without being called a troll.

Guess you spend a lot of time making decisions and explaning them to others. Don't know how you cope with the pressure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I find it damned annoying when they say that. They want to try my job - it doesn't simply involve opening my legs, feeding, cleaning and ignoring some little brat parked in front of the telly all day!

What is your job, for the record?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread could run and run. Some people don't have a clue and are full of their own self importance.

No doubt they'll get stroppy some time around mid-morning when they've had their sleep rudely interrupted by their screaming kids and their sixth leisurely cup of coffee in front of the telly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    What is your job, for the record?

My job is my concern but its a damned sight harder than bringing up a kid and maintaining a home - we've all got to do those things on top of actual paid employment.

The home part is the easy bit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    My job is my concern but its a damned sight harder than bringing up a kid and maintaining a home - we've all got to do those things on top of actual paid employment.

The home part is the easy bit!

Cool. Ok.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    It isn't a job, if anything its a vocation but putting these phrases into use when discussing the natural parenting we deliver as a species dehumanises them.

Seems people are too keen to try and justify their existence in such a way these days.

You're a housewife pet, get over it or find a real job in which people have to recognise and accept your abilities and aptiude, you have to work with others of varying levels of authority, intellect and ability whilst juggling all the other commitments of day-to-day life.

Many others do it, you aren't a saint, martyr or anything special!

You know absolutely nothing about me ...............I am laughing out loud reading this. Don't presume you know my situation - you know nothing.

:D:D:D:D

Too funny;)
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    The only thing that really peeves me about it is the unspoken implication that those of us who have kids and work aren't full time mums. Just because I'm at work it doesn't mean I'm not a mum, I'm still looking after my child by providing money to keep a roof over his head and food in his tummy.

I have met women who look down on employed mothers, as if we are somehow letting down our kids by not staying at home with them til they're however old.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely all mums are full time mums? You don't stop being a mum just because you get a job or the kid grows up?

What makes me chuckle are the American versions 'stay at home mom' as opposed to what a leave the home mom? And of course 'homemaker' what a stupid way of putting it, did you build the house? Spend your days wiring and plastering?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Surely all mums are full time mums? You don't stop being a mum just because you get a job or the kid grows up?

What makes me chuckle are the American versions 'stay at home mom' as opposed to what a leave the home mom? And of course 'homemaker' what a stupid way of putting it, did you build the house? Spend your days wiring and plastering?

I've done that, as well as most of the decorating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I have and you know what - its a short lived issue which is hardly the end of the world.

Honestly.

Try doing a real job with years or decades of actual unrelenting pressure and expectation. Try doing the daily commute against a deadline because there is a room full of people waiting for you. Try meeting goals and deadlines which if missed can result in death or injury for hundreds of thousands of people.

Wow what a strong opinion, you come across as a real people person...

Everyones job is important to them, they all do it for their own reasons. I get alot of reward from spending alot of time with my daughter, she is a confident healthy little girl, with stability. Its a value I think it important.

If you value your job, then that is great, if you get great reward from it even better, but its not fair or even dignified to put yourself above anyone else, it makes you look a bit bitter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, she did. But she was wrong. She is a "housewife".

Even if she's not married?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd say 'Stay at home mum' was a pretty acurate title... I get the impression that whatever they called themselves certain people here would have a problem with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If your job is such a hardship, put the effort in to get something you enjoy... Or "get over it". :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread could run and run. Some people don't have a clue and are full of their own self importance.

No doubt they'll get stroppy some time around mid-morning when they've had their sleep rudely interrupted by their screaming kids and their sixth leisurely cup of coffee in front of the telly.

PMSL, why are you so angry? Maybe some sleep for you would be a good idea. Less of this up all night on the computer, and more shut aye, makes for a brighter day! Happy Friday! I am off to spend it with my daughter when she eventually gets up... I have been up for a couple of hours though, to prepare for the day ahead, all the things I wont have time to do once she is up and I have to get busy sitting her infront of the TV and drinking lots of tea.....:confused: lol
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Honestly.

I do do a real job which I real be returning to as soon as my baby is no longer dependent on me to be on call for him 24/7. I guess no job anyone else has is as high faluting and important as yours but we cant all be as wonderful and amazing as you. Just how do you cope with the pressures of being superman and being single handedly responsible for life on earth as we know it I di not know.

Sir, I doff my cap to you and just ask to bask in the presence of your amazingness for a few seconds more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    PMSL, why are you so angry? Maybe some sleep for you would be a good idea. Less of this up all night on the computer, and more shut aye, makes for a brighter day! Happy Friday! I am off to spend it with my daughter when she eventually gets up... I have been up for a couple of hours though, to prepare for the day ahead, all the things I wont have time to do once she is up and I have to get busy sitting her infront of the TV and drinking lots of tea.....:confused: lol

Lucky you!

I'm just about to drop my kids off at breakfast club because I have to work. :(
    Enjoy your day and make sure you DO spend lots of time drinking tea and watching shite day time TV... Just to make ctizen jealous! :D

Thankfully I have a job I enjoy, poor old citizen must really hate his... Sooo bitter!!
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »

Don't forget Jeremy Kyle watching for you. Maybe hit the cooking sherry after lunch!