Options

Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    Indeed, I think we only have to wait till Friday, when Season 4 starts and Woody appears then.

Rebecca doesn't appear till the beginning of Season 6.

Never mind Woody and Rebecca - bring on Lilith! :D Towards the end, I found that the Frasier and Lilith relationship was the best thing about the show (although I never understood what a couple of high-brow psychiatrists were doing in a bar every day, sitting at a table with little notebooks).
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Was Shelly long pregnant during the season airing on ITV4 at the moment, she looks huge. :eek:

Ive just watched two episodes back to back and she went from normal to pregnant in the space of me making a brew!! She's about 6 months gone compared to not pregnant 5 mins ago :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    No problem :) you can credit Cliff with the apt description! :D

I envy you being able to watch the show through 'fresh eyes'! It's a great show, and the characters really bed in as it goes on.

Cliff (and Norm) are my favourites. :)

I am really enjoying this. I feel like I know them all so well. I don't know how I have managed to miss it when it originally aired (and subsequently)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cliff (and Norm) are my favourites. :)

I am really enjoying this. I feel like I know them all so well. I don't know how I have managed to miss it when it originally aired (and subsequently)

If you like Cliff and Norm, you will probably only grow to love the series more as it goes on. As much as I adore the early seasons, the focus on the Sam and Diane relationship kind of forced the others into the background a bit. Although we lost the dynamic between the couple when Shelley Long left, it allowed the whole show to become more of an ensemble, with Cliff and Norm's roles increased (as well as Frasier's, Lilith's, Carla's, etc). I actually ended up enjoying Cliff, Norm and the Cranes more than I did Sam (who became, for my tastes, a bit one-note without Diane to bring him down a few pegs).
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    If you like Cliff and Norm, you will probably only grow to love the series more as it goes on. As much as I adore the early seasons, the focus on the Sam and Diane relationship kind of forced the others into the background a bit. Although we lost the dynamic between the couple when Shelley Long left, it allowed the whole show to become more of an ensemble, with Cliff and Norm's roles increased (as well as Frasier's, Lilith's, Carla's, etc). I actually ended up enjoying Cliff, Norm and the Cranes more than I did Sam (who became, for my tastes, a bit one-note without Diane to bring him down a few pegs).

Cliff and Norm gave me the biggest laugh so far last night during Diane's exit.
    Diane - 'Guy's, I'm waiting for a kiss!'

And Cliff and Norm passionately kiss each other. Brilliant!
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cliff and Norm gave me the biggest laugh so far last night during Diane's exit.
    Diane - 'Guy's, I'm waiting for a kiss!'

And Cliff and Norm passionately kiss each other. Brilliant!

I was confused by that episode as Coach re-appeared. Yet in the preceeding episodes he was being written out as Nicholas Colasanto passed away. I guess that episode was recorded out of sequence.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    I was confused by that episode as Coach re-appeared. Yet in the preceeding episodes he was being written out as Nicholas Colasanto passed away. I guess that episode was recorded out of sequence.

Yeah, that weirded me out! I was wondering if maybe he'd gotten temporarily better or something - as happened with John Spencer during the West Wing's final run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, that weirded me out! I was wondering if maybe he'd gotten temporarily better or something - as happened with John Spencer during the West Wing's final run.

Possibly, but if you're quick you can check the dates on the end credits and Diane's bon-voyage had 1984 but earlier episodes this week had 1985. The second episode last night also had Woody in the opening credits. I guess all will become clear soon.
    I never really got into Cheers first time around until near the end of Shelly Long's stint so all these episodes are new to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly, but if you're quick you can check the dates on the end credits and Diane's bon-voyage had 1984 but earlier episodes this week had 1985. The second episode last night also had Woody in the opening credits. I guess all will become clear soon.
    I never really got into Cheers first time around until near the end of Shelly Long's stint so all these episodes are new to me.

This is correct - Coach died during the filming of Season 3, which was filmed out of sequence. Hence, he appeared in the final episode as it was filmed before some of those preceding it. To get around this, they wrote him out of some of the penultimate episodes as being away at a family reunion (not even his family!) but he was meant to have returned from that by the time the finale took place. They must have been very sad filming some of the pre-finale episodes, making cracks about Coach being away knowing Nicholas Colasanto had died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is correct - Coach died during the filming of Season 3, which was filmed out of sequence. Hence, he appeared in the final episode as it was filmed before some of those preceding it. To get around this, they wrote him out of some of the penultimate episodes as being away at a family reunion (not even his family!) but he was meant to have returned from that by the time the finale took place. They must have been very sad filming some of the pre-finale episodes, making cracks about Coach being away knowing Nicholas Colasanto had died.

Thanks, I thought that was the reason. I notice the final two episodes of season three are on tonight and Coach is in one of them (maybe both). Tomorrow season four starts with Woody.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could be right. In Frasier Martin is a widower right from the beginning so did the mother pass away at some point in a later Cheers?[/QUOTE
    I think so. If I remember right, at one point during a cheers episode Frasier mentions being having no brothers and both of his parents being dead! But after Martin learns of this, Frasier simply tells him 'We'd had a row, you called me a stuffed shirt and hung up on me I was mad.'

I don't think Frasier or Cheers told exactly when Frasier's mother died. In Cheers Frasier didn't really have a brother and said his father was dead. When they wrote the sitcom Frasier they decided he needed a father and brother so they worked around that. In Frasier flashbacks you see that Niles and Martin stayed in Seattle while Frasier lived in Boston. Before Frasier got to Seattle, Martin didn't really get along with his kids.
  • Options
    badvocbadvoc Posts: 104
    Forum Member

I'm not sure you're correct. Coach appeared in the third last episode shown last night, when Diane said her goodbyes to him. Incidentally, I got the feeling Shelley Long knew that would be her last ever scene with him from the look on her face. He appeared tonight in the last episode but only in the segment before the titles and these could have been filmed out of sequence as they rarely have any baring on the storyline. I've never heard of comedy series being filmed out of sequence apart from when location filming is required.

I've always believed Nick died between series 3 and 4.

* Found an article online that shows woot was correct, seems they did film out of sequence.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am another person watching Cheers from the beginning for the first time and loving it so much ! I know Im in the minority here and not to sound harsh but Im so glad I dont have to put up with Coach anymore. He ruined every scene he was in for me, I just couldnt bear his character. Stupid comment after stupid comment episode after episode after episode ! Im amazed he seemed to have so many fans. It was borderline offensive as the chatacter was portrayed as being stupid and slow, yet there to be laughed at.

So glad he is gone now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    slats7 wrote: »

You'd think they'd call the new series Sláinte...
  • Options
    JustinCredibleJustinCredible Posts: 19,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    I am another person watching Cheers from the beginning for the first time and loving it so much ! I know Im in the minority here and not to sound harsh but Im so glad I dont have to put up with Coach anymore. He ruined every scene he was in for me, I just couldnt bear his character. Stupid comment after stupid comment episode after episode after episode ! Im amazed he seemed to have so many fans. It was borderline offensive as the chatacter was portrayed as being stupid and slow, yet there to be laughed at.

So glad he is gone now.

Because it's not like Woody ever says anything stupid...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »

I don't think Frasier or Cheers told exactly when Frasier's mother died. In Cheers Frasier didn't really have a brother and said his father was dead. When they wrote the sitcom Frasier they decided he needed a father and brother so they worked around that. In Frasier flashbacks you see that Niles and Martin stayed in Seattle while Frasier lived in Boston. Before Frasier got to Seattle, Martin didn't really get along with his kids.

Frasier's mother is seen in Series 3 (played by Nancy Marchand) but then when he's marrying Lilith, he makes a joke about her and then says 'You see, that's funny because everyone knows my mother is dead!', implying that she'd died in between. I'm pretty sure a Frasier flashback acknowledges this and places her death somewhere c1985.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a little confused when ep23 of season 2 had Woody Harrelson's name in the opening credits although he wasn't in the episode. He then made his debut at the start of season 4. Now back then this would have been about 4 months later.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn! Damn! Damn! i've only just found out this is on. Watched tonight's and it was brilliant! It hasn't lost anything with age. Bloody marvelous stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To anyone who's interested, the complete Cheers box set seasons 1-11 is currently only £45 on play.com. I've got mine ordered!
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Was Shelly long pregnant during the season airing on ITV4 at the moment, she looks huge. :eek:

The odd thing is Rhea Perlman[Carla] was pregnant during the shows run, but her pregnancy was written into the show.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this week sees the departure of Diane from the series.

I was glad on first showing as I thought the character had got rather boring - the better episodes were ones where she had a lesser role.

Watching it now my view on that remains unchanged.
  • Options
    elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amazing show. used to love it when I was a kid and just as great now.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched my first episode of Cheers for a long time tonight (Cliff invites Diane to the postal award ball). Very enjoyable.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »

So glad he is gone now.

I loved Coach. :( He had the knack of being completely thick, but in a funny innocent way. I also loved how all the others (even Carla) we so protective of him.

I am not too keen on Woody (so far)