• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religion just isn't factual enough.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Christianity in UK has well and truly had its day. The only religion that people seem fanatical about is Islam. It will take over from Christianity at some point in the future so get used to the idea.

It may well overtake Christianity in this country but only when both religions have a very much lower following than they have now.

I think most folks in the UK like the largely secular society we have now and the number who think that way will probably go on increasing.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    I'm 17 and there is only around 8/9 people in my year group (out of 180) in school that are religious. For me, I cannot grasp religion because I have been brought up seeing that facts are solid and factual and regarding religion, it's all pure belief.

That doesn't surprise me. I'm in my 20's and I only know a small number of people, whom are around about my age, who are religious.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are thousands of youngsters who are into religion, some so much that they attend camps and conferences. Events that youngsters will consider cool are organised, to keep young followers interested and attract more youngsters.

The problem isn’t lack of coolness. When religious organisations had a lot of influence, they misused it. Instead of following the good teachings of their religions, they chose to do wrong and to support and encourage the wrong-doing of their followers and others. They continue to make that choice today. Religions have been brought into disrepute by people who claim to follow them. People who don’t follow religions perceive the wrong done in the names of religions to reflect the teachings of those religions. They are apathetic or hostile towards religion. Paralysed by the wrong they have done, religions cannot effectively respond to the arguments of the non-religious. They are not considered cool by society, and I doubt they are considered cool by God.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen Tom Cruise talk about it?:eek:

Wowww.... He likes it, alot.

He sure does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

A lot of chat with no substance what-so-ever. The way he throws in Scientology acronyms while talking is rather strange!
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens coming down in spaceships?

Isn't that actually more likely than a Jewish zombie?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    I'm 17 and there is only around 8/9 people in my year group (out of 180) in school that are religious. For me, I cannot grasp religion because I have been brought up seeing that facts are solid and factual and regarding religion, it's all pure belief.

is that not the point belief/faith those of us who have believed have faith (as a gift from God) those who haven't believed don't have faith! yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4the1 wrote: »
    Too much music and singers but no dance competition. dancing will make religion cooler.:cool:

some Christian groups do dance in the Holy Spirit as a form of worship to God.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes for some good entertainment though! Saw a documentary on it a while back, couldn't stop laughing when they said that when you get to the second 'level' or 'realm' or something, you get to hear the BIG SECRET.......... duh duh duuuuhhhhh...

That Captain Zogwog brought the original humans here from the planet Zoro out of a volcano called Zultan thousands of years ago and thats where we all came from...

It was something to that effect.
    Oh and that the great 'creator' of the religion was a science fiction writer! You'd think that'd tell them something.

I think scientology is another 'science' falsely so called!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus dying on a cross then bouncing back just for giggles

Jesus did die on a cross and did rise again. this is what I believe. it's called faith. what scientologists think/believe say is not in the same league as the Christian faith. God sent Jesus to Bethlehem, and to fulfil the prophecy's about him (from the bible) so he could save the world from damnation, Jesus fulfilled his duty to God. so Gor raised him up and he will come again (we do not know when) yea he will come. Scientologists believe that we seeded here by aliens this is sci-fi not truth. Jesus is the way the truth and the life John chapter 14 verse 16. Sermon Ends! this is faith!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt anyone, if they aren't already religious, joins to look cool though. They do so because they believe. And by the same token, I doubt anyone already religious thinks it makes them cool.

visit (or stand outside and watch) one of the modern 'Christian Churches' they often meet in modern buildings or schools and see just how many young people, families, and children come out of these and you might get a better picture of the Christian Church today.
    Not as reported in the press/TV news. look at the Food banks the Churches are running in practically every town city and even some villages- (I know other organisations and religious groups do this too) but don't think we are just crackpots. we may be different to the run-of-the-mill people but 'diversity is good - isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not meant to be "cool", they're meant to preach and keep you from sinning and to understand the world.

"Out of touch with the society" is perhaps a more accurate way to describe them.

I know loads of Christians that are 'in touch' with what the world is like, often the reason why they have come to faith in Christ is that they (I) see the state of teh world and acknowledge their need of a saviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Religion just isn't factual enough.

faith is personal 'fact'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    There are thousands of youngsters who are into religion, some so much that they attend camps and conferences. Events that youngsters will consider cool are organised, to keep young followers interested and attract more youngsters.

The problem isn’t lack of coolness. When religious organisations had a lot of influence, they misused it. Instead of following the good teachings of their religions, they chose to do wrong and to support and encourage the wrong-doing of their followers and others. They continue to make that choice today. Religions have been brought into disrepute by people who claim to follow them. People who don’t follow religions perceive the wrong done in the names of religions to reflect the teachings of those religions. They are apathetic or hostile towards religion. Paralysed by the wrong they have done, religions cannot effectively respond to the arguments of the non-religious. They are not considered cool by society, and I doubt they are considered cool by God.

put that another way the ways of the general population have been allowed to enter our Church and we have allowed our beliefs to be poluted by 'what the outside world believes' we allowed 'sin' and apathy to get a foothold and we are seeing the results. But don't fall into the view that the Church of Jesus Christ is a thing of the Past/Dying like Jesus it will rise again in Britain. and over the whole world (see South Korean Churches, Google millions of catholic and evangelicals)
  • Options
    BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    put that another way the ways of the general population have been allowed to enter our Church and we have allowed our beliefs to be poluted by 'what the outside world believes' we allowed 'sin' and apathy to get a foothold and we are seeing the results. But don't fall into the view that the Church of Jesus Christ is a thing of the Past/Dying like Jesus it will rise again in Britain. and over the whole world (see South Korean Churches, Google millions of catholic and evangelicals)

Do you know how arrogant you sound?

Especially the first line of your post.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The teapot is cool and down with the kids. Everyone should praise the teapot and let him fill you up with the brew of life.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Jesus did die on a cross and did rise again. this is what I believe. it's called faith. what scientologists think/believe say is not in the same league as the Christian faith.
    You're right. Scientology is science fiction, Christianity is more of a sword-and-sworcery, Dungeons and Dragons-esque thing. Both ludicrous fiction, though.
    faith is personal 'fact'
    There's no such thing as "personal fact". Faith is trust in something without, or despite, evidence. It's the opposite of reason.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the problem is we are a more enlightened people now. The older generation didn't know any better than to believe in God and religion, people who choose to do it nowadays have no excuse.
    faith is personal 'fact'
    Case in point.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the problem with religion these days that it just isnt cool?

I dont think ive ever met someone that's into religon that is cool and kinda smooth.

Why dont certain religons have a marketting dept? just like any other business.

I hate religion, I converted to atheist this year,
    no need for it,
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I hate religion, I converted to atheist this year,
    no need for it,

Why would anyone "convert" to atheism?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »

Talking of hostility to religion do you still want to have one of the major religions banned and all its priests deported?
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christianity in UK has well and truly had its day. The only religion that people seem fanatical about is Islam. It will take over from Christianity at some point in the future so get used to the idea.

Only if people don't treat it as it deserves. Muslims in Western countries can just as easily be deconverted as Christians can. If Christianity can't hold on to its members anymore, neither should Islam be able to.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't fall into the view that the Church of Jesus Christ is a thing of the Past/Dying like Jesus it will rise again in Britain.

For the church to rise again, significant numbers of people outside the church need to adopt its beliefs and join it. What do you think will happen to cause the church to follow the good teachings of Christianity, and outsiders to become Christians and join the church?
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Talking of hostility to religion do you still want to have one of the major religions banned and all its priests deported?

Yes.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if people don't treat it as it deserves. Muslims in Western countries can just as easily be deconverted as Christians can. If Christianity can't hold on to its members anymore, neither should Islam be able to.

I was Muslim, and i too think this religion will die out with the rest,
    Islam has so many unnecessary rules, that a convertee will find hard to follow, are you prepaird to read the quaran, fast for a whole month, pray 5 times a day for the rest of your life, and go to mosque every friday, no alcohol, no pork, nothing,
    its very strict, and boring,

I have seen so many muslims convert, including my siblings and cousins

I'm glad i got away from it,
    but thats just me,
    Athiest now and If I had to choose a religion, it would be Christianity,
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, Scientology... Apparently *ahem* its a religion and not a cult.. They must have one blinking good marketing department! Not convinced its a religion, but their marketing department says otherwise..

Oh it's a cult and isn't recognised as a religion here in the UK. Mind you it still gets more than £300,000 of taxpayers' cash every year, as well as all the cash it charges members for services and squeezes in 'donations', so running some marketing is pretty easy.

Even easier when the staff work 100 hour weeks for thirty quid pay - if they're lucky.