Options

Am I the only one who thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is utter crap?

Comments

• Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very old 1970s humour. Doesn't appeal to anyone under the age of 50. Dreadful.

I'm 39 and I find the slightly old fashioned humour amusing, my 18 year old daughter loves it. My parents find it too rude so I think you may have got your demographic slightly wrong there. Anybody I know who likes it is under the age of 50, not over it. For me it's just half an hour of comedy with some cracking one liners :)
  • Options
    *~TeePee~**~TeePee~* Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not the only one, OP. I watched it for the first time Christmas before last, after hearing rave reviews from most of my family...Parts were considerably funny, but I found I just didn't get it, and couldn't follow it. Maybe because I'm 22, and found the humour a little old-skool, [although I know people younger than me love it], but there was just no appeal. Too try-hard.

I feel the same way about Miranda after seeing one episode of that too. Overdoing the innuendo's is just not comedy for me! :s
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like it and it normally does give me a few good laughs, but I didn't think much of last nights. Although Giddy eye and Buster did manage get some from me..
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Brendan doesn't lift ideas from Morecambe and Wise, unlike Miranda.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very old 1970s humour. Doesn't appeal to anyone under the age of 50. Dreadful.

My 20 year old son and his mates absolutely love it, it's their favourite show on the box! :)

What I hate most of all is the posts which have a sniffy attitude towards the people who do like it. It doesn't make you superior if you don't like it, you just have different taste in humour.

(for the record I think it's hilarious!).
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Complete car crash TV - comedy for people that don't understand humour and can only relate to X Factor
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Complete car crash TV - comedy for people that don't understand humour and can only relate to X Factor

Your statement is a pile of utter crap..I understand and appreciate good comedy plenty ta very much..
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    At least Brendan doesn't lift ideas from Morecambe and Wise, unlike Miranda.

Perhaps he should start doing so, it might help MBB to be better.
    In any case Morecambe and Wise reused (lifted if you like) a lot of commonplace music-hall humour because it worked. And all without the tired gag of having an old boiler swear repeatedly.
  • Options
    BohochicBohochic Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    There's something grubby about it, not the horrible innuendo and language, just something unsavoury. Hate it.:mad:
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's about as amusing as arse cancer.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I can't believe people are comparing this to Father Ted.
    "Anything remotely Irish has to be compared to Father Ted."

Unwritten cliché about TV sitcoms. :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bohochic wrote: »
    There's something grubby about it, not the horrible innuendo and language, just something unsavoury. Hate it.:mad:

Probably because he's been flogging this thing in one form or another since the early 1990s. It's become a one-trick cash cow. The scripting is probably of secondary concern.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its biggest problem is the unevenness in quality.

Full credit to Brendan for creating genuinely funny characters, but his decision to continue using members of his own family in supporting roles is dragging the show down - some of them can act, and some of them can't!

A really funny scene is often followed by a scene with people sitting round a table speaking their lines to each other. This level of amateurism is fine in regional theatre, or even within the gawd-awful naffness that is BBC Scotland sit-com-land, but to cut it in the big bad world of TV comedy in 2012 it needs to sharpen up a bit.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    I think its biggest problem is the unevenness in quality.

Full credit to Brendan for creating genuinely funny characters, but his decision to continue using members of his own family in supporting roles is dragging the show down - some of them can act, and some of them can't!

A really funny scene is often followed by a scene with people sitting round a table speaking their lines to each other. This level of amateurism is fine in regional theatre, or even within the gawd-awful naffness that is BBC Scotland sit-com-land, but to cut it in the big bad world of TV comedy in 2012 it needs to sharpen up a bit.
    This post is almost as funny as MBB itself. :p It hasn't got a problem.

I find it hilarious to read all the posts written by the comedy "experts" here :rolleyes:
    All that matters is that figures are good. Not just good, but have improved series on series, afaik.
    It might not be to everyone taste, but who cares? Certainly not the Beeb or Brendan O'Carrol.
    One things for sure though, non of the critics here have ever worked in the media. Or know anything about it.

However it's quite clear that many of you lot are watching a show that you profess to hate. Go figure:yawn:
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to the acting, the guy 'playing' Rory is very bad. Can't even deliver a single word naturally. But it makes me laugh so I'll look passed it since that's the purpose of the show.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    last night's episode was funny..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »

I find it hilarious to read all the posts written by the comedy "experts" here :rolleyes:
    All that matters is that figures are good. Not just good, but have improved series on series, afaik.
    It might not be to everyone taste, but who cares? Certainly not the Beeb or Brendan O'Carrol.
    One things for sure though, non of the critics here have ever worked in the media. Or know anything about it.

However it's quite clear that many of you lot are watching a show that you profess to hate. Go figure:yawn:

Quite the opposite. gboy described a genuine problem. Figures say nothing about the quality of the programme. A lot of people watch Jeremy Kyle, but I doubt you'd successfully defend that as a worthy piece of television. There are plenty of dire programmes with high viewing figures. Lowest-common denominator stuff unfortunately also has a wide appeal.

You're right that O'Carrol isn't complaining, he's making a mint out of brand Brown.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, each to their own. I personally love it, :D
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite the opposite. gboy described a genuine problem. Figures say nothing about the quality of the programme. A lot of people watch Jeremy Kyle, but I doubt you'd successfully defend that as a worthy piece of television. There are plenty of dire programmes with high viewing figures. Lowest-common denominator stuff unfortunately also has a wide appeal.

You're right that O'Carrol isn't complaining, he's making a mint out of brand Brown.

The show has made the successful transition to Australian and New Zealand television though, suggesting it has a rather broad appeal, and is not just some tacky British / Irish sitcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The show has made the successful transition to Australian and New Zealand television though, suggesting it has a rather broad appeal, and is not just some tacky British / Irish sitcom.

Quite. It's now a tacky sitcom with lowbrow appeal in two other countries.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite. It's now a tacky sitcom with lowbrow appeal in two other countries.

Depends what you mean by "lowbrow appeal" : Brendan O'Carroll freely admits it is a simple, old fashioned 1970s style sitcom and that it is the complete antithesis of modern "clever" comedy. Perhaps "lowbrow" would be the ultimate compliment you could give him?
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

That's a very unfair criticism to make of those who've posted that they don't like the programme. I've had it thrown at me on the Miranda thread, there are some most disagreeable individuals who take exception to those who don't find the woman funny.

How can anyone make a judgement on a programme unless they've actually watched it? What's more, when a series gets high praise , isn't it natural to watch again to see if it gets any better, thus confirming or refuting (is that the right word?) what others think of it? ;)
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I risked watching this for the first time last week. Doing asides to the camera/audience can be very funny as long as it isn't overdone, but this show overdoes it to the point of stupidity. Another show that is at the same risk is Miranda. She needs to tone it down too.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The forum is aimed at people who watch TV, rather than a debating point for media experts.

I certainly don't "hate" 'Mrs Brown's Boys' - I wouldn't watch it if I did. However, I do feel a good show is let down by certain aspects, in particular the poor acting of some of the cast.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    It's fecking shite!