Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Watched a little bit more and the quality of the dives is so much higher - they're not perfect, but they're attempting more than just falling in head first.

But the FOX show divebombed out of the gate; Splash! made a good fist of it. I know The High Dive had tougher competition but easy-on-paper opposition hasn't led to ITV claiming good ratings in the past.

We'll see what happens on Saturday/next Wednesday but Splash! has made the better start (maybe because of the Tom Daley factor) and I think the 'so bad it's good' angle may just result in it sustaining an audience...though it could fall flat. I don't think The High Dive will see much in way of growth.

As for last night in the UK, I think all the channels can smile today looking at those figures; a decent performance all round.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Why exactly are we going to the effort of removing the effort of the jubilee and Olympics, do we do the same with the Euros' and World Cup & Rugby, no. A rather pointless calculation to even bother to do.

I hardly think we are seeking to "remove the effort" of these wonderful events; rather, we are challenging the idea (expounded by its controller) that there was more to BBC One's rise in viewing than those two events. Mathematically, there wasn't. That is not to say that it is easy to increase a channel's share these days: it's hard enough to stave off a decline, so a 0.2% fall across the rest of the year is far from bad. The removal of CBBC will definitely help the channel's share this year.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    But the FOX show divebombed out of the gate; Splash! made a good fist of it. I know The High Dive had tougher competition but easy-on-paper opposition hasn't led to ITV claiming good ratings in the past.
    True - but to me Stars in Danger tried to make a show of it and fill the 2-hour slot with as much action as possible, while Splash fills out the 90 minutes with anything but diving.

Both formats still selling well though - China have today bought Splash and Italy Stars in Danger, while Argentina are making their own version.

http://www.c21media.net/archives/97400

Talking of padding though notice episode 3 of Dancing on Ice is still only 90 minutes long, but they're repeating the Duel twist from last year so it'll be five head to head performances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True - but to me Stars in Danger tried to make a show of it and fill the 2-hour slot with as much action as possible, while Splash fills out the 90 minutes with anything but diving.

To be fair, I thought the show was ok until after the Bond exhibition. It seemed very padded after that while they were totting up the votes; the reading of the results was laboured and the splash off took more time than necessary.

I wouldn't say that 'High Dive' had as much action as possible - how long did it take them to introduce the point of the show and the contestants???
    Talking of padding though notice episode 3 of Dancing on Ice is still only 90 minutes long, but they're repeating the Duel twist from last year so it'll be five head to head performances.

They're obviously desperate not to move the show any earlier; understandable I suppose but I think the viewers want a 'full show' instead of the splits and duels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    We'll see what happens on Saturday/next Wednesday...

I just noticed High Dive was a one off. :o I doubt it will be back.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder if the BBC One lineup is having an effect on Channel 4's daytime lineup?
    jda135 wrote: »
    Daytime is losing ground, especially after BBC1 waded into the serious daytime market. Countdown & Face the Clock are bombing and Deal or No Deal is losing viewers and share points.

I had a look at yesterday's BBC One afternoon ratings from 15:00 to 17:15, occupied on the same day last year by a 5-minute news bulletin and then the CBBC block, consisting of half-a-dozen kids' repeats and Newsround.

Now that the news bulletin and the CBBC block have been removed and replaced with adult-focused entertainment, we can compare the average overnight audience and share on BBC One, before and after the changes:

Wed 11/01/12, 15:00-17:15: 389k (4.0%)
    Wed 09/01/13, 15:00-17:15: 1.29m (13.5%)

As noted by someone the other day, both viewership and share have more than tripled.

Let's see how Channel 4 has been affected:

Wed 11/01/12, 15:00-17:15: 1.29m (13.4%) inc +1
    Wed 09/01/13, 15:00-17:15: 829k (8.7%) inc +1

Audience and share down around -35%. Oh dear. I can't find old schedules for Channel 4, so I don't know how much of that 460k drop is self-inflicted. Quite spooky that the old Channel 4 rating and the new BBC One rating are identical.

While we're at it, how is BBC Two doing, in a part of the day where it is now denuded of new entertainment programmes?

Wed 11/01/12, 15:00-17:15: 1.29m (13.4%)
    Wed 09/01/13, 15:00-17:15: 587k (6.2%)

BBC Two are clearly feeling the lack of Flog It! (1.4m/15% a year ago) and Perfection (1.8m/15%). And another 1.29m figure! I checked it; it's right.

Later on, up against Pointless, a repeat of Antiques Roadshow (1.0m/6%) did half as well as Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is used to (2.0m/13%).

And now ITV1:

Wed 11/01/12, 15:00-17:15: 1.77m (18.3%) inc +1
    Wed 09/01/13, 15:00-17:15: 1.64m (17.2%) inc +1

Still winning the slot and holding up well, it has to be said.

Finally, Channel 5:

Wed 11/01/12, 15:00-17:15: 511k (5.3%) inc +1
    Wed 09/01/13, 15:00-17:15: 495k (5.2%) inc +1

The smallest terrestrial channel is barely changed, presumably as its afternoon movie alternative has a loyal following.

So overall, BBC One has gained 9.5 share points in the afternoon, BBC Two has lost 7.2, ITV1 is down 1.1, Channel 4 has shed 4.7, and Channel 5 is practically flat. The missing 3-4 points have gone to other channels.

So a net gain to the big two BBC channels of +2.3 points. It's early days, we'll have to see how it settles down.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Why exactly are we going to the effort of removing the effort of the jubilee and Olympics, do we do the same with the Euros' and World Cup & Rugby, no. A rather pointless calculation to even bother to do.

Indeed, should we strip out Wimbledon too? The analysis should be left to RZT who does it properly and not on the back of a **** packet.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 would be less affected as their schedule has remained unchanged for a number of years. The afternoon films have loyal audiences and at Christmas break 1m.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    > 4 days of the Jubilee averaged 30.0%, as against 18.6% on those days in 2011.

> Jubilee: (30.0% - 18.6%) = +11.4% excess share on average each day, contributing approximately +0.12 of a percentage point to overall annual share, relative to 2011.

So you are you going to strip out the finals of The Apprentice and The Voice that aired that weekend! Are you actually serious?? Were they Jubilee programmes too :rolleyes:
    If you're not able to do comparisons properly, please don't do them at all.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW, thanks very much for the detailed analysis. Excellent post!
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member
    Well with re bbc two repeats plan I dont see how a repeat of micheal aspels antiques roadshow is very competitive surely a better repeat can be found in that slot ? Hadlow says in that block veiwers would find something an alternative to the other channels offerings but how can that be when there are so many antique programmes. I hoped for classic television repeats in that slot but maybe the equity fees are too high.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I hardly think we are seeking to "remove the effort" of these wonderful events; rather, we are challenging the idea (expounded by its controller) that there was more to BBC One's rise in viewing than those two events. Mathematically, there wasn't. That is not to say that it is easy to increase a channel's share these days: it's hard enough to stave off a decline, so a 0.2% fall across the rest of the year is far from bad. The removal of CBBC will definitely help the channel's share this year.

And no doubt that will be stripped out of the equation in a year from now in order to make BBC1's inevitable decline in share this year look even more stark..... :rolleyes:
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    NeilVW, thanks very much for the detailed analysis. Excellent post!

Are you back with us now then?

Hope so....

:)
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Indeed, should we strip out Wimbledon too? The analysis should be left to RZT who does it properly and not on the back of a **** packet.
    No, that's an annual event. FWIW, I agree with the point of the analysis. There were two exceptional events during the summer that are not going to happen again for a number of years and there are three ways to look at it, from the POV of "underlying" channel share loss/gain. Either wait until next year and accept that the gains of 2012 were a "blip", or wait until next year and accept the inevitable y-o-y drop, or try to take out the effect of the "blip"...

K
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the Midwife returns to BBC1 at 8 pm on Sunday January 20.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,677
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Big Brother averaged 2.15m (8.9%), beating BBC2 and C4 with ease and hot on the heels of ITV. The peak was 2.55m (10.5%) at 21.45.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE 8.41m
    SW 6.09m
  • Options
    FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #EastEnders was the highest rated show yesterday with a peak of 8.6 million viewers and 36.5% share. #ratings

https://twitter.com/EastEndersPress/status/289667914875957248
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE 8.41m
    SW 6.09m

Interested to know exactly where those extra 1m Eastenders viewers have come from, might be even more viewers for all shows next week since it will be cold and snowy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    No, that's an annual event. FWIW, I agree with the point of the analysis. There were two exceptional events during the summer that are not going to happen again for a number of years and there are three ways to look at it, from the POV of "underlying" channel share loss/gain. Either wait until next year and accept that the gains of 2012 were a "blip", or wait until next year and accept the inevitable y-o-y drop, or try to take out the effect of the "blip"...

K

The stats are what the stats are.

Let's not massage the figures, whether it's not counting "blips" or adding in repeats to one channel's shows to compare against shows on a channel which doesn't have a related repeats channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Interested to know exactly where those extra 1m Eastenders viewers have come from, might be even more viewers for all shows next week since it will be cold and snowy.

They're probably not new viewers, just existing viewers watching more regularly.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »

K

So are you going to strip out the Rugby World Cup on ITV or the World Cup on BBC and ITV from now on? That seems so silly.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,677
    Forum Member
    Is C5 benefitting from no CBBC on BBC Two on weekday mornings? Milkshake enjoyed another strong peak yesterday morning of 397k (7.0%) for Peppa Pig. At the same time BBC Two was miles behind on 81k (1.4%).
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Is C5 benefitting from no CBBC on BBC Two on weekday mornings? Milkshake enjoyed another strong peak yesterday morning of 397k (7.0%) for Peppa Pig. At the same time BBC Two was miles behind on 81k (1.4%).

Daybreak's poor rating must have something to do with it too - 607k (14.7%) yesterday.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,035
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Celebrity Big Brother averaged 2.15m (8.9%).....

That's a 22% drop on the equivalent night a year ago?
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    So are you going to strip out the Rugby World Cup on ITV or the World Cup on BBC and ITV from now on? That seems so silly.
    There's a similar event biannually and even then, there isn't anywhere near as many hours of coverage as there was in the home Olympics.

But, that's fine. Just don't cry "foul" when the stats show a major y-o-y decline for BBC1 in 2013!

K
This discussion has been closed.