It's f**ked.

There - discussed :D

/thread
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2013 wrote: »
    Yes they probably do have the largest variety of music on CD, but CD's are in the past, things move on and we're in the digital downloads stage at the moment thus HMV is not needed.

People need to move away from CD's then they won't need HMV, everything we all need is online all nice and cheap or free if you look hard enough :p

yes, let's all become hermits and not go out at all. Just sit inside, browse the net and shop. Yeah, great plan.

What about those that don't have computers or devices to browse the web, or those that don't have the internet. Might be a shock to you, but these people do exist. Why aren't people allowed a choice anymore? Why must everyone bow down to what you want? You want everyone to shop online, but what if someone doesn't want to?

Why are you revelling so much in potential job losses, loss of a huge high street name and loss of competition.

This could be bad for your precious Amazon too you know. Less competition means they have free reign to charge whatever they like for their products.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Is he man who shuts down shops.

Not just shops,but WHOLE companies it seems
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Which company is bringing more to this country? tax dodging Amazon or HMV, a highstreet special retailer that doesn't use tax loopholes.

The same HMV whose online operation operated out of Guernsey to avoid VAT, until July last year?
  • Options
    20132013 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    yes, let's all become hermits and not go out at all. Just sit inside, browse the net and shop. Yeah, great plan.

Why are you revealing so much in potential job losses, loss of a huge high street name and loss of competition.

This could be bad for your precious Amazon too you know. Less competition means they have free reign to charge whatever they like for their products.

Yeah that way I can avoid the high street, it stresses me out to much I hate the general public and miserable staff so thats another reason why I like shopping online.
  • Options
    hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they probably do have the largest variety of music on CD, but CD's are in the past, things move on and we're in the digital downloads stage at the moment thus HMV is not needed.

People need to move away from CD's then they won't need HMV, everything we all need is online all nice and cheap or free if you look hard enough :p

Give me a physical cd over a digital download any day. And give me HMV any day over downloading. It'll be a sad day if everything is done through and over a PC or phone.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hayleyg wrote: »
    Give me a physical cd over a digital download any day. And give me HMV any day over downloading. It'll be a sad day if everything is done theough and over a PC or phone.

It will. That's technology for you. Horse carriage to the car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    The same HMV whose online operation operated out of Guernsey to avoid VAT, until July last year?

;).................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Depends where you're spending your money I guess. Generally if you're spending your money with some company that then ships it off shore, whilst minimising its tax bill and employing comparatively less people; all for the sake of saving a quid - You'll end up costing yourself in the long run.

Oh do get over yourself. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Oh do get over yourself. :rolleyes:
    What you on about? It's a fairly obvious point to make :rolleyes:

Cue stories about starving children to feed. Will somebody please think of the children....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that way I can avoid the high street, it stresses me out to much I hate the general public and miserable staff so thats another reason why I like shopping online.

The if you don't like the highstreet, don't use it which you don't obviously).

But that doesn't mean you can tell everyone else to abide by your rules and your way of thinking. Some people enjoy the highstreet and seeing people. Some people prefer physical media to a file on a HDD or SD card.

"Miserable staff", right, so you've seen every single person that works in retail and every single one of them has been "miserable"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    It will. That's technology for you. Horse carriage to the car.

Well that says more about how we've begun to let technology rule and take over our lives than be part of our lives and thats incredibly sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »

I didn't know that. So were they paying no tax until July 2012 and from when?

Atleast they're paying tax now. Have Amazon moved into the world of paying tax yet? Ofcourse not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You've obviously not been in a HMV for a while because they are full of some of the friendliest, helpful and enthuasiastic staff you could ever come across (well the ones in Brum and Oxford Street London at least)
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah and "delivered" by f***ing Yodel and their f***ing god awful "service". Poke it up yer arse Yodel I'd rather go to a shop and be served by someone friendly and efficient.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give me a physical cd over a digital download any day. And give me HMV any day over downloading. It'll be a sad day if everything is done theough and over a PC or phone.

Im with you, I have only ever bought four things online, apart from tickets (and even then I look at the available seats then ring) but it may be a generational thing. I still lament the loss of vinyl albums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Self loathing is something that can be helped by counselling, you know. ;)

Or are you, somehow, not part of 'the general public'? A member of the Royal Family perhaps? or a deity in human form? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will be saved but a smaller number of stores in say just cities isn't going to help HMV. People need a store like this local otherwise the majority have to go to the supermarket or online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that says more about how we've begun to let technology rule and take over our lives than be part of our lives and thats incredibly sad.
    You do realise that physical media is technology right.

You have to move on with innovation. Surely this cant be news to you? There's a reason why analogue is dead and we made the switch over. By your reckoning we should all still be watching B/W movies.
    :confused:
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can all banks shut down, bet they survive . Shut down parliament next, that would be great.How much do they the last government and this lot owe to the taxman ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Yeah and "delivered" by f***ing Yodel and their f***ing god awful "service". Poke it up yer arse Yodel I'd rather go to a shop and be served by someone friendly and efficient.
    Most of my online stuff gets delivered by The Royal Mail. :)
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look what happened when "play" had to start paying tax. Their business model collapsed, they could not compete with the other "tax free" companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    What you on about? It's a fairly obvious point to make :rolleyes:

Cue stories about starving children to feed. Will somebody please think of the children....

All rich companies fiddle things to avoid paying taxes of some kind. HMV were no different, they just paid a little more than Amazon that's all. And killed the independent record stores... but hey that's a side note.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Look what happened when "play" had to start paying tax. Their business model collapsed, they could not compete with the other "tax free" companies.

Yep even online site like play have now struggled..
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe they separated a few years ago.

Shame they couldn't some how merge some of their stores. Sometimes it can work having a two stores in one. Anyone who's been to France and been in a FNAC will know what I'm getting at.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13466179

Yea few years ago.