Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    if that does not prove it, nothing will
    Yes, Family Guy was on C4 - I seem to remember it being on in daytime and most scenes were cut out though because of the obvious unsuitability for that time? Can't quite recall.:confused:

Well remembered both: see old listings for 5 May 2001 here:

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-1412.html

12.30pm on a Saturday! Presumably as part of T4? As Elliot says, though, ridiculously inappropriate for daytime. Did they actually know what they'd bought?! Well, Channel 4's magnificent scheduling has a long pedigree it seems :rolleyes:

The next challenge is to find out when it went to FX and how it rated, as I distinctly remember the BBC Three controller saying something like "it wasn't a popular show in the UK before we got it".
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    BBC Breakfast Time started 30 years ago today, there'll be memories of the show until 9.15am.
    Oooh, that makes me feel old. I remember watching the first one.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Yep, and I'm right with you Robbie. The Chase for instance is winning over Pointless WHEN you add on +1. But when the two shows are head to head Pointless often beats it.
    Adding +1 in that comparison is really tipping the scales too, the amount of people that will come home after 5pm but before 6pm and will +1 The Chase but cant do the same for Pointless.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    To be honest the ratings are only going to get lower and lower, they urgently need new ideas, otherwise they'll be squeezed out and it'll all be about BBC1 and ITV at that time, whereas not so long ago it was all about BBC2 and C4.
    I dread to think what's going to happen to Countdown and Deal's ratings if we get some very warm weather in April and May.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Sky had the rights to Family Guy for a time as well. BBC3 really made it a success in this country though by scheduling it every night it picked up a loyal audience, it'll be a shame if they lost it but understandably they wouldn't be able to keep it at any price.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    The next challenge is to find out when it went to FX and how it rated, as I distinctly remember the BBC Three controller saying something like "it wasn't a popular show in the UK before we got it".
    it goes without saying, that without BBC 3, Family Guy would be no where in the UK.

However for what its worth, its not like Family Guy was all plane sailing on FOX, those first seasons on C4, were not exactly big hits for FOX either, its only since the show was axed and then revived, that it became really popular.

BBC 3 did alot for it, but it got involved at the right time.

hence this amusing clip from the first episode of Family Guys revival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI

also a Firefly mention
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    I'm sure Sky had the rights to Family Guy for a time as well. BBC3 really made it a success in this country though by scheduling it every night it picked up a loyal audience, it'll be a shame if they lost it but understandably they wouldn't be able to keep it at any price.

Yes, there's bound to be a scramble. Last night's episode at 23:45 delivered over 230k 16-34s (nearly a 40% skew and a 16% share in that demo. And 23 times more youngsters than Countdown :D)

The controller said a couple of months back that it would be on BBC Three for at least "a few more years" so they must have fairly long-term repeat rights.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Family Guy just mentioned was actually the first shown in the double bill: the second at ten past midnight had 273k in the 16-34 demo (50% skew, 23% share, TVR 1.8%). The film shown beforehand, Con Air, also did well with an audience among all individuals of nearly 900k/6%. Very decent at 10pm.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I had previously thought that BBC 3 had the life time rights to Family Guy, like C4 has for The Simpsons.

Even if BBC 3 is not willing to spend big to bring back Family Guy on a new contract, its going to seem very strange if they dont even try, if Sky want it, let them pay a stupid amount, and piss people off in the process.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about Family Guy is that it came back due to being successfully syndicated on Adult Swim followed by strong DVD sales, I think the demo for those repeats were one of the highest for late night almost beating Letterman. Futurama returned for similar reasons although Comedy Central picked it up.

Repeats in syndication have helped shows like NCIS and The Big Bang Theory become bigger hits as viewers have been able to watch episodes either for the first time or again then watch the new episodes. I expect Modern Family may benefits when repeats air on USA later this year.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this thread doesn't get much longer else it will get locked away in the archives like part 3 did, when it hit 200 + pages.
    Would be a shame to lose access to the Christmas 2012 ratings lists.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [16-34 isn't the only demo that programmes are sold on, though. There's ABC1 or Housewives with Kids, for example.

As I mentioned, the DOND on Friday 14 September 2012 was a regular episode and scored just 911k / 986k (exc/inc +1) whereas I notice yesterday's managed to get just over 1.1m with +1. However because of the time of year yesterday's DOND share (8.5%/9.6%) was quite a bit lower than the early autumn episode (10.7%/11.6%). Alarm bells should indeed be ringing as it ought to be rating better in January. Perhaps Tipping Point is doing a lot of the damage, making Noel's show seem a bit old.

Housewives with Kids I think was invented by ITV.

The fact that the share for DOND is low is also worrying. The more and more it slips down, the number of viewers deserting the show will also increase. I think Tipping Point is providing some stiff competition, as is BBC1 and C5.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But they haven't pressed pause on itv1, which would be timeshifting, they are running the itv1 output an hour later whilst "live ITV" continues at the same time.

You can't be in two places at the same time, and neither can a TV channel.

Every argument anyone puts up for aggregation, I will confidently bat it away. :)

ITV1 doesn't exist anymore. :p

The +1 channels are still nothing more than VODSAL. If you're scrapping them you should scrap all timeshifting before 2am and have overnights as people watching in that specific timeslot and group the VODSAL viewers in the officials.

This discussion could/will run and run. :D
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    @TVRatingsUK
    Last night's top rated: Corrie 8.86m; Emmerdale 7.77m; BBC Regional News 7.10m; Africa 5.95m; BBC News (10pm) 5.93m; BBC News (6pm) 5.77m

Signs of the regional news starting to climb. After Friday's UK wide (well 80% wide) snow event I expect it could hit 9m, even 10m as we have seen in the past.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    Signs of the regional news starting to climb. After Friday's UK wide (well 80% wide) snow event I expect it could hit 9m, even 10m as we have seen in the past.

The snow might be coming at the right time for Great Night Out; it started off with mediocre viewers but might attract the floating viewer tomorrow night if everyone is stuck indoors (as Silent Witness is part 2 of 2). I wonder how they'll deal with the Big Brother eviction if the set is snowlogged (is that a word???); present it inside the eye with no crowd presumably with the evicted Housemate leaving via the Diary Room.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    What's amazing is that BBC1 has consistently won the flagship slot 6 nights a wbeek since before xmas and should continue to do so until the start of February; it could get a clean sweep if Selfridge continues to decline and CTM gives Ripper a boost.

Unprecedented really, even since BBC1 became the most watched channel

Its good to see my favourite channel win ---however ITV are weak at the moment particularly in that Tuesday evening slot. now that's quite bad for bbc one in the long term . really I like to see them slugging it out. Ie miranda and MBB v Lewis is a better example of what ITV was capable of. Its basically congrats to ben stevenson who I think chooses new fresh pieces for bbc drama .

They could do with someone a bit more dynamic for entertainment. I've heard mark lynsey speak online at the media festival as he doesn't come across as passionately and didn't seem to be as cool as some the other heads such as. Elaine bedell.

. I think danny cohen also speaks well but would be great to see more of his vision this year. He has edone well however he has also inherited a few hits such as - call the midwife. miranda. mrs brown boys and the new tuesday night 'Paradise' performer.

And he has gotta make the Voice work really as its not worth saving if it doesn't make more impact at the end of the run.

Eastenders needs support from him too though its also becoming much more solid again with audience figures I still think it needs looked after and perhaps an episode cut.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Well remembered both: see old listings for 5 May 2001 here:

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-1412.html

12.30pm on a Saturday! Presumably as part of T4? As Elliot says, though, ridiculously inappropriate for daytime. Did they actually know what they'd bought?! Well, Channel 4's magnificent scheduling has a long pedigree it seems :rolleyes:
    I recorded many episodes when it was part of the T4 strand and some bits were heavily edited. But the original episodes didn't rely too much on lewd jokes, rather cutaways.

I think it started on a 6pm slot on Channel 4 and gradually moved around, like KOTH to night time. I'm sure they showed the second episode first but I need to double check. :confused:

Started around the same time as Futurama, which was first shown on terrestrial TV at 9pm-ish in September 2000.
    Agent F wrote: »
    Sky One did and it was how I caught up with the Season 3 episodes. But they like C4 put it out in the early hours of the morning which was annoying. The episodes at lunchtime were chopped up to pieces.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I think danny cohen also speaks well but would be great to see more of his vision this year. He has edone well however he has also inherited a few hits such as - call the midwife. miranda. mrs brown boys and the new tuesday night 'Paradise' performer.

Cohen did commission Call the Midwife.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, 6pm on Wednesdays was its first slot on C4, in 2000. They could still show it there now, because with the editing they'd have to do, they could fit it in the ad break of The Simpsons. I watched the first episode and thought it was rotten, though when I watched a Series 1 episode repeated on BBC3 a year or so ago, I still thought it was rotten.

Of course before it arrived on BBC3, it was on BBC2 - they started showing that and American Dad together on Saturday nights around 10pm in the autumn of 2005. American Dad was the main attraction, it was on first, and I wonder if it's the case that they bought the rights to American Dad and Family Guy came bundled with it. Anyway, they didn't do particularly well on BBC2, they ended up stripping them after 11pm at Christmas and then late on Sunday nights, and eventually they palmed it off on BBC3, though BBC2 kept showing repeats late at night for a bit. Even on BBC3 it originally had a late slot, around midnight.
    Started around the same time as Futurama, which was first shown on terrestrial TV at 9pm-ish in September 2000.

Yeah, Futurama was also treated poorly by C4, that began in September 2000 and though the pilot was at 9pm, the series was actually at 6pm. They did two series there but then the third was at 1am on Fridays (and had been on the shelf for ages, I think they showed series two in 2001 and series three at the beginning of 2004) and the fourth and final series on T4 on Saturday mornings.

It's always been a myth that C4 treat imports better than the BBC. Usually they're a hundred times worse. Even Frasier was dumped to a late slot towards the end.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Interesting that while BBC1 usually edges the daytime ratings against ITV, ITV are out in front in the important 16-34 demographic, so they must be doing something right.

BBC1's afternoons are particularly old skewing. Notice how young skewing The Jeremy Kyle Show is as well!

Countdown's rating is awful,it used to be a students staple, I doubt any students even know what it is thesedays.

Lots of students still in lectures at 2.45pm?
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    I remember the first season of Family Guy being more tame than the following series, perhaps they thought they had brought something akin to The Simpsons, Futurama etc... Incidently FG is aired at 6pm in Australia somtimes with little cuts, but its the same with Channel 4 and Angel they showed that at 6pm even though it was clearly more grown up then Buffy. The DVD's i have rate some episodes 18+. They chopped the episodes up so they were unfollowable, no wonder everyone switched off
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 17th January 2013 - News Bulletins
    Breakfast - 1.71m (38.4%)
    Daybreak - 615k (14.8%)
    BBC News at One - 3.02m (39.2%)
    BBC Regional News - 3.27m (40.4%)
    ITV News at 13:30 - 1.04m (13.1%)
    BBC News at Six - 5.63m (27.7%)
    BBC Regional News - 7.31m (33.6%)
    ITV Regional News - 4.43m (21.8%)
    ITV News at 18:30 - 3.89m (18.0%)
    BBC News at Ten - 6.31m (30.4%)
    BBC Regional News - 6.41m (33.0%)
    ITV News at Ten - 2.72m (13.3%)

Elsewhere:

Emmerdale - 7.21m (31.9%) and 6.53m (26.7%)
    EastEnders - 8.11m (34.5%)
    The One Show - 5.27m (23.3%)
    Waterloo Road - 3.68m (15.0%)
    Silent Witness - 5.78m (23.4%)
    Nursing the Nation - 3.27m (13.2%)
    Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald - 4.47m (18.1%)

Actually a really good rating for Inside Death Row in my opinion.
  • Options
    Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they haven't pressed pause on itv1, which would be timeshifting, they are running the itv1 output an hour later whilst "live ITV" continues at the same time.

You can't be in two places at the same time, and neither can a TV channel.

Every argument anyone puts up for aggregation, I will confidently bat it away. :)

Now, I couldn't careless about +1, so will generally keep clear of this discussion/argument.
    But lets say, for example, when Ripper Street is up against Mr Selfridge. Between the two, I would rather watch Mr Selfridge, however, I know that there is a +1 channel, so will watch Ripper Street, before flicking over to the +1 channel after.
    But wouldn't that mean that ITV1 is losing my viewership and BBC1 is gaining?

I'm sure similar things occur when The Chase is up against Pointless.

(Basically I'm saying that if ITV+1 didn't exist we'd probably see higher numbers on the "ITV only" figure)
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Thursday 17th January 2013 - News Bulletins
    Breakfast - 1.71m (38.4%)
    Daybreak - 615k (14.8%).

Crikey Daybreak viewers must think its still the holidays and have forgotten its on::eek::eek:
  • Options
    bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Thursday 17th January
    EastEnders - 8.11m (34.5%)
    Waterloo Road - 3.68m (15.0%)
    Silent Witness - 5.78m (23.4%).
    So, nearly 5m viewers switch away from BBC1 when Waterloo Road comes on, and a couple of million return to the channel when it's over.

Looks like they've got a problem with this programme. Personally, I get annoyed if I even catch the last 30 seconds of it - I just want to go and punch all of the pupils, most of the teachers and some of the parents.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Yog101 wrote: »
    Now, I couldn't careless about +1, so will generally keep clear of this discussion/argument.
    But lets say, for example, when Ripper Street is up against Mr Selfridge. Between the two, I would rather watch Mr Selfridge, however, I know that there is a +1 channel, so will watch Ripper Street, before flicking over to the +1 channel after.
    But wouldn't that mean that ITV1 is losing my viewership and BBC1 is gaining?

I'm sure similar things occur when The Chase is up against Pointless.

(Basically I'm saying that if ITV+1 didn't exist we'd probably see higher numbers on the "ITV only" figure)

Maybe not, i used to watch TBBT on E4+1 after finishing work, but if +1 wasn't available i wouldnt have been in too watch and wasn't that concerned about recording the E4 episodes. It was merely on whilst i was home. I can imagine that maybe the case for lots of +1 viewers of The Chase. Background TV after getting home and makng dinner
This discussion has been closed.